Author Topic: Being a little spendy pants - cheese  (Read 3751 times)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Being a little spendy pants - cheese
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
Overall I'm pretty frugal.  But I make room in my budget and my life for cheese.  Currently nibbling on an authentic French brie.  Its one of those super soft and creamy ones.  It's fluffy to the point it reminds a little of marshmallows.  I think I spent about 12 bucks a pound for this one. Call the internet retirement police!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
Re: Being a little spendy pants - cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Overall I'm pretty frugal.  But I make room in my budget and my life for cheese.  Currently nibbling on an authentic French brie.  Its one of those super soft and creamy ones.  It's fluffy to the point it reminds a little of marshmallows.  I think I spent about 12 bucks a pound for this one. Call the internet retirement police!

If you’re feeling self conscious about your fancy cheese purchase, you can always hit Wal Mart and grab four of their 1 lb. cheese blocks. They usually go for $2.78/lb :D I recommend the Swiss cheese.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
My very favorite cheese retails for about $26/lb (Humboldt Fog). I usually pick up a quarter or half lb. for holiday cheese trays. I need to make a trip to the fancy cheese store downtown next week. I usually also walk out with a wedge of aged Manchego, maybe a fruited white Stilton, and a smoked Gouda. Mmm...cheese...

For everyday cheese consumption, though, I usually stick to the Costco sharp cheddar blocks that sell for $5 per 2 lbs.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Costco gouda is my go-to for cheese. It's delicious and cheap.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

Guilty - and $12/lb sounds like you are being frugal to me...haha

My very favorite cheese retails for about $26/lb (Humboldt Fog). I usually pick up a quarter or half lb. for holiday cheese trays. I need to make a trip to the fancy cheese store downtown next week. I usually also walk out with a wedge of aged Manchego, maybe a fruited white Stilton, and a smoked Gouda. Mmm...cheese...

For everyday cheese consumption, though, I usually stick to the Costco sharp cheddar blocks that sell for $5 per 2 lbs.

Humbolt Fog is crazy good, one of my favorites as well.  And I am with you on all those other cheeses too.....oooohhh,

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
I love good cheese. I make no apologies for spending money for quality dairy product.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
If anyone likes Parmesan, I recommend the Kerrygold Dubliner cheese as a good alternative. 

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
You're fine. The only fancy cheese I splurge for is $29/lb even though it's local to me. Worth it!
https://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/library-of-cheese/mt-tam

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
I'll admit to shelling out some extra bucks for Collier's White Cheddar and some authentic Swiss Emmental Cheese instead of good old American cheese, but neither of these cost a fortune either.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »
I'm definitely in the spending more on cheese camp. But I'm allergic to cow dairy so have to shell out more for goat or sheep cheese. I compensate by saving it for a treat. It's not something I eat even weekly and I really enjoy what I do purchase.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »
OP here.  Currently working on a "bargain" goat cheese (very creamy!) for about 5.5/lb.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:52:37 AM »
Cheese is worth it. I'm having a camembert that was on sale currently, but I will spend extra for real parmesan and it's totally worth it. I save on the stuff I don't care about to enjoy the things I really like.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:45 AM »
Cheese is worth it. I'm having a camembert that was on sale currently, but I will spend extra for real parmesan and it's totally worth it. I save on the stuff I don't care about to enjoy the things I really like.

Seconded. But yes, sales on quality cheese are the best of both worlds. Mmm, Camembert...

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »
If anyone likes Parmesan, I recommend the Kerrygold Dubliner cheese as a good alternative.

How much does this one cost in your area? I've seen it as high as $8.99 for a 7oz block ($20.50/lb) but bought the same thing at Aldi for $3.49 ($7.98/lb)

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
You're fine. The only fancy cheese I splurge for is $29/lb even though it's local to me. Worth it!
https://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/library-of-cheese/mt-tam

Like butter, love it.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
Agree with the Costco recommendation, some great deals on better cheeses there.  And how can you have good cheese without wine?  Kirkland is probably the best wine value there is.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
I love cheese and I will always spend money for good food. 

How much does this one cost in your area? I've seen it as high as $8.99 for a 7oz block ($20.50/lb) but bought the same thing at Aldi for $3.49 ($7.98/lb)

Costco sells Dubliner and it's around $5-5.50/lb. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
I love cheese and I will always spend money for good food. 

Costco sells Dubliner and it's around $5-5.50/lb.

Yep, that's where I get mine.  A lot cheaper than the aged parmesan I used to indulge in. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »
Kerrygold Dubliner- not too expensive, super yummy
I really like drunken goat cheese, it's a softish goat cheese soaked in red wine. Yum! I've only found it at whole foods
Smoked gouda, always good
not expensive, but Costco has this Oaxacan melting cheese, it's insane. Like a huge ball of strings of cheese. It's addicting to eat, and also melt on everything.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »
Went to a party tonight. Everyone brought appetizers. The host bought a hunk of Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese at Costco.
Poked holes in it with a skewer and poured Port over it. Poured more a couple of hours later. Repeated. Served with a basket of sliced La Brea Bakery* baguettes on the side. It was out of this world.

*Substitute any local artisan baguette, but don't skimp on the blue cheese!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
We splurge on cheese as well. I don't like the Norwegian yellow cheese, as it is has no taste. So I buy Dutch yellow cheese, which is not easy to find and not cheap. I try to find the cheapest option, though. Currently we buy it in a shop 20kms from our house. We try to combine the purchase with other errands.

When it comes to blue cheese, there is a great difference between cheese with no taste, bad taste, very little taste or a lot of good taste. I often end up buying a French cheese like Roquefort, which is often available in the normal (cheap) shops. But I'll also do with one of the luxury Norwegian cheeses, which tastes acceptable, just not so strong. This cheese or not often available. All the cheaper cheeses I don't like.

I also buy hard, tasty cheeses like Parmesan or a cheaper copy that tastes acceptable.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
I'm currently eating a few slices of Midnight Moon. I couldn't resist a few ounces when at the cheese shop last week. Yum.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
Gosh, ever since Trader Joe's came to town (with fairly inexpensive cheese), cheese alone is probably 5% - 10% of our weekly grocery bill. Crumbly blue, creamy blue, brie, manchego, mozzarella for pizza and stromboli, sharp cheddar,  the list goes on...

We got some imported irish cheddar from a friend a few weeks ago, which was absolutely fantastic -- but probably out of our price range for regular purchases...

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
Damnit you all. I come to this forum trying to save cash... now I gotta to find these cheese!

Carry on please....

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
OP here - working on a buttery Manchego I picked up at Aldi for about 2 bucks a pound.  Yum.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
OP here - working on a buttery Manchego I picked up at Aldi for about 2 bucks a pound.  Yum.

Yum. I’ll have to look for that during my next shopping trip.

Aldi has had a very nice cheese selection this year! My father-in-law is now a huge fan of the sage derby cheese they sold at Thanksgiving.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 01:19:11 AM »
Where I come from originally, the Netherlands, it is common to serve a cheese platter and snacks. Either blocks of yellow cheese or fancy cheeses that you can put on toast.

Around Christmas we got this server by my BIL who had bought a bunch of different types of fancy cheeses. It tasted very nice.

Here in Norway cheese is so expensive that we don't serve cheese platters anymore. I still eat yellow cheese at bread for lunch and we use it grated at some dinner dishes. We use blue cheese for dinner, often to make a vegetarian pasta sauce. DH snacks a bit from the blue cheese, which I don't appreciate, but I don't control him.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:04 AM »
Being from Wisconsin eating cheese is like drinking water! Have it in some capacity everyday. I dont like the softer cheeses per sea but Aldis has a great selection of cheese at prices you just cant beat. I buy either there crumpled Feta or Blue cheese for salads or I buy there sliced 1lb packages for kids sandwiches etc.. and its 1.99 per lb.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »

Yum. I’ll have to look for that during my next shopping trip.

Aldi has had a very nice cheese selection this year! My father-in-law is now a huge fan of the sage derby cheese they sold at Thanksgiving.

I paid $4.99 for a 7-ounce block of Manchego at a local Aldi. At $11.35/lb, that's still far cheaper than the $16/lb at the local cheese shop.