Author Topic: Ashley Madison Hack  (Read 34424 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Ashley Madison Hack
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »
You really think all that information is real? I haven't looked at the actual data, but the point still stands. The vast majority of those people never actually did any hooking up and its questionable how many really tried, given how many fake names and such were given.

EDIT: removed some info that shouldn't matter

^^ Given that Sol has already quoted the part you removed, I think unfortunately for you you have just inadvertently called attention to the info you wanted to suppress.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
I've thought about looking into the list myself, but ultimately decided I didn't really want to know which of my friends and acquaintances are icky.  Apparently there are websites that will search for every email in your Google contacts list for matches.  No thanks.

"Apparently there are websites that will harvest every address in your Google contacts list," you mean.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Ashley Madison Hack
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
You really think all that information is real? I haven't looked at the actual data, but the point still stands. The vast majority of those people never actually did any hooking up and its questionable how many really tried, given how many fake names and such were given.

EDIT: removed some info that shouldn't matter

Don't  feel bad.  I went there and gave them my credit card too.  I just like the articles.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:35:26 PM by milesdividendmd »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Ahhhh, the advantages of living on a low-information diet. Ashley who??

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »
Out of curiosity....

If you really didn't know who or what Ashley Madison is, then why the desire to come into a 3 page thread in order to basically tell the participants that you live on a low-information diet and don't know who or what they are talking about?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »
Out of curiosity....

If you really didn't know who or what Ashley Madison is, then why the desire to come into a 3 page thread in order to basically tell the participants that you live on a low-information diet and don't know who or what they are talking about?
Because I love the stuff I learn on this forum! This is probably the only place where more than one other person would know what a low-information diet is. Since MMM espouses and perhaps even coined the phrase "Low Information Diet" I knew I could safely make my confession here. And I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through and reading the comments. That sol is something else. What a good writer! If I can answer any other questions for you, PKFFW, feel free to ask...

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »
Because I love the stuff I learn on this forum! This is probably the only place where more than one other person would know what a low-information diet is. Since MMM espouses and perhaps even coined the phrase "Low Information Diet" I knew I could safely make my confession here. And I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through and reading the comments. That sol is something else. What a good writer! If I can answer any other questions for you, PKFFW, feel free to ask...
Ok, since you offered, a couple more questions....

Is it really a low information diet if you simply get all your (for want of a better word) shite information(gossip, mainstream stories, etc) by reading threads here at MMM rather than from any other source?  I mean you now still seem to the information about the AM hack afterall even if you didn't see it on the news.
If you scrolled through and read the comments of this 3 page thread why did you need to ask "Ashley who?" in your post?  And on that note, if you didn't know who Ashley was didn't you get confused as all heck after the first 20 or 30 posts in the thread?  Must have been hard to make it through 3 pages without understanding who or what Ashley was.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 06:04:44 AM »

Methinks thou dost protest too much. ;)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »
I like that the dude in this thread most vigorously defending the scumbags who tried to have an affair on their spouse . . . has slipped up and admitted to being one of said scumbags.  It's beautiful in it's transparency.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »

Is it really a low information diet if you simply get all your (for want of a better word) shite information(gossip, mainstream stories, etc) by reading threads here at MMM rather than from any other source?  I mean you now still seem to the information about the AM hack afterall even if you didn't see it on the news.
If you scrolled through and read the comments of this 3 page thread why did you need to ask "Ashley who?" in your post?  And on that note, if you didn't know who Ashley was didn't you get confused as all heck after the first 20 or 30 posts in the thread?  Must have been hard to make it through 3 pages without understanding who or what Ashley was.

Cmon now.

"Ashley Who ?" Was merely a humorous way to express that she was unaware of the story prior to reading the thread, not a deposition that she heretofore hang figured it out.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
I would not bother, because there is still no proof they were actually cheating, just that they went to the site for whatever reason.

Anyway, I just think this is one of those things blown out of proportion.

There is proof that they willingly spent real money in order to try to have an affair.  That's not casual browsing.  There is a record of how much they spent, what IP addresses they used, how many people they messaged and how often they visited, and what sort of relationship and sexual positions they wanted.  I think it's more than enough to determine if your spouse is untrustworthy.

I read that the list of emails that was released included those that weren't verified, not the list of those who had paid with credit card. Meaning it's a useless list and I could have signed up with your email if I wanted, just to look around. Do you know if this is true?

Could be lies, but I do know of one single person who was surprised to find her own email in the list.

On a semi-related note, what a great way to get massive lists of relevant emails.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »

Cmon now.

"Ashley Who ?" Was merely a humorous way to express that she was unaware of the story prior to reading the thread, not a deposition that she heretofore hang figured it out.

It's tiresome to hear people brag of their ignorance when a simple 10s Google search would answer the question.  It's not a way to express she was unaware of the story, it's a way to try and claim some superiority by being out of touch with popular culture, because some think that makes them better than the great unwashed.  Being completely oblivious is no better than the person reading TMZ 12 hours a day.  It's "low information diet" not "no information diet."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

Is it really a low information diet if you simply get all your (for want of a better word) shite information(gossip, mainstream stories, etc) by reading threads here at MMM rather than from any other source?  Why would you think this is my only available source? I don't watch news on TV, but I do have internet. I don't check my investments every day or even every week, and I avoid most forms of social media, hence low information diet. Since I haven't had cable for most of my adult life and I own an I-Nothing, Pete was preaching to the choir when he introduced the concept here. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/01/the-low-information-diet/

I mean you now still seem to the information about the AM hack afterall even if you didn't see it on the news. Not a question, and I think a word or two slipped off the page.

If you scrolled through and read the comments of this 3 page thread why did you need to ask "Ashley who?" in your post?  Because that was my question when the topic popped up. (Sorry, couldn't help that one.)

And on that note, if you didn't know who Ashley was didn't you get confused as all heck after the first 20 or 30 posts in the thread?  Uh, because I figured it out by reading the comments. I believe that skill is known as reading comprehension? Not necessarily an exclusively mustachian skill, but helpful nonetheless.

Must have been hard to make it through 3 pages without understanding who or what Ashley was. Also not a question. See above reply, please and add I'm a voracious reader, so a mere three pages is a snap. In the same time frame, I also read all of serpentooth's journal; that was a good chunk of great material. I feel like I've made a trip to NYC and I can't wait to learn what happens next in her life because she quit and today's her last day at work. Woot!
Check out my response to forummm for a little more on this topic.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »

LOL! TL;DR - I saw the topic and wondered "Who or what is Ashley Madison and why does anyone want to hack her/it?" The next three pages was eye-opening reading, hence the flip comment. Because after reading through three pages, I have to justify the time by at least getting another strand in my mustache, right?

What I did love about learning about AM here is the uniquely Mustachian take. Sol's comments were far more insightful that a talking head's would have been. People quickly dug into the money behind the story, the credibility of the information being spewn, the possibility of numerous falsifications about the numbers, etc. I also learned about about where people looking for multiple partners go to find them, and lots of other cool esoteric stuff that I'll never remember, much less use, that simply would not be covered in such a brilliantly free-ranging manner anywhere else but right here on the MMM forums. Okay, I'm done now, thanks for the fun y'all.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
I would not bother, because there is still no proof they were actually cheating, just that they went to the site for whatever reason.

There is proof that they willingly spent real money in order to try to have an affair.  That's not casual browsing.  There is a record of how much they spent, what IP addresses they used, how many people they messaged and how often they visited, and what sort of relationship and sexual positions they wanted.  I think it's more than enough to determine if your spouse is untrustworthy.

I read that the list of emails that was released included those that weren't verified, not the list of those who had paid with credit card. Meaning it's a useless list and I could have signed up with your email if I wanted, just to look around. Do you know if this is true?

Could be lies, but I do know of one single person who was surprised to find her own email in the list.

On a semi-related note, what a great way to get massive lists of relevant emails.

Yes, I do think this is true.  I'm thinking a certain amount of trolling probably went on, as well.  I heard on NPR that one of the email addresses that was released was "BarackObama@whitehouse.gov"

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

LOL! TL;DR - I saw the topic and wondered "Who or what is Ashley Madison and why does anyone want to hack her/it?" The next three pages was eye-opening reading, hence the flip comment. Because after reading through three pages, I have to justify the time by at least getting another strand in my mustache, right?

What I did love about learning about AM here is the uniquely Mustachian take. Sol's comments were far more insightful that a talking head's would have been. People quickly dug into the money behind the story, the credibility of the information being spewn, the possibility of numerous falsifications about the numbers, etc. I also learned about about where people looking for multiple partners go to find them, and lots of other cool esoteric stuff that I'll never remember, much less use, that simply would not be covered in such a brilliantly free-ranging manner anywhere else but right here on the MMM forums. Okay, I'm done now, thanks for the fun y'all.

So at what point did the "who is Ashley Madison" post add value to the experience?  You either posted it before reading the thread, which you intended to read and therefore learn the answer, or afterwards and you had already learned it.  And if you STILL didn't know and were interested in finding out, you could've Googled it.  The ONLY logical explanation for your post is to brag to us all you didn't know, and that's smug and obnoxious. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »

Yes, I do think this is true.  I'm thinking a certain amount of trolling probably went on, as well.  I heard on NPR that one of the email addresses that was released was "BarackObama@whitehouse.gov"

I wouldn't blame him....

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »

I wouldn't blame him....

You know, right before I hit "post" on that comment, my thought was, "I wonder how many posts I'll have to wait until someone makes a stupid-ass sexist remark about Michelle Obama?"

I got it in one. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

I wouldn't blame him....

You know, right before I hit "post" on that comment, my thought was, "I wonder how many posts I'll have to wait until someone makes a stupid-ass sexist remark about Michelle Obama?"

I got it in one.

A) how is that sexist, and B) I coulda done a lot worse.  :)

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »
We should probably overlook all the trolling that went on, i.e. not automatically assume that the person is a scumbag. I have to admit that when I heard Ashley Madison was a thing, I went to the website to check it out, not because I wanted to have an affair but because I was curious about it as a phenomenon. No, really. It's the same reason that, after watching a Nightline story about high end prostitutes, I checked out the website of one of their profiles dames. I find both interesting from a cultural perspective.

But once I saw that you had to give them an e-mail, I didn't pursue it further. I guess I could have put a bogus one in, but I just forgot about it and moved on.

If, however, someone actually shelled out cash, then, yeah, that's scumbaggery, albeit scumbaggery I should never have found out about.

Like sol, I won't be looking to see if anyone I know went to the site. It makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way. Kind of like how any guy or gal who actually went and looked at pictures of Jennifer Lawrence's naked body should feel. Not entirely analogous scenarios, but close enough.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »

Cmon now.

It's tiresome to hear people brag of their ignorance when a simple 10s Google search would answer the question.  It's not a way to express she was unaware of the story, it's a way to try and claim some superiority by being out of touch with popular culture, because some think that makes them better than the great unwashed.  Being completely oblivious is no better than the person reading TMZ 12 hours a day.  It's "low information diet" not "no information diet."

I don't necessarily disagree with your impression, the initial comment seemed a bit humble baggy to me too, but your response just seems off the charts aggressive and personal. Kind of like knocking someone out for chewing with their mouth open.

Do you 2 have a prior history, because if not, your comments truly make you look like a rabid asshole.  And I have no stake in this fight.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

Cmon now.

I don't necessarily disagree with your impression, the initial comment seemed a bit humble baggy to me too, but your response just seems off the charts aggressive and personal. Kind of like knocking someone out for chewing with their mouth open.

Do you 2 have a prior history, because if not, your comments truly make you look like a rabid asshole.  And I have no stake in this fight.

No history with the individual, but this sort of thing is a known internet "meme", to interject yourself into an ongoing conversation and say "who/what is ____?" about the subject, bragging that you don't know.  It's very common on places like Reddit.  The most common one is anything to do with a Kardashian; I don't care if you haven't watched the news in 20 years, it is simply impossible that one doesn't have a vague awareness of who the Kardashians are so pretending otherwise is just being a douchenozzle.

So yes, it's possible that I went off a little here in this instance, but the practice annoys the shit out of me.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

Cmon now.

No history with the individual, but this sort of thing is a known internet "meme", to interject yourself into an ongoing conversation and say "who/what is ____?" about the subject, bragging that you don't know.  It's very common on places like Reddit.  The most common one is anything to do with a Kardashian; I don't care if you haven't watched the news in 20 years, it is simply impossible that one doesn't have a vague awareness of who the Kardashians are so pretending otherwise is just being a douchenozzle.

So yes, it's possible that I went off a little here in this instance, but the practice annoys the shit out of me.

I accidentally did this yesterday! I've heard of the Kardashians, I didn't know she was one of them. I read "While you were paying attention to Karlee/Kaylee? something's 18th birthday, Malala turned 18 and funded a Syrian school" I know who Malala is. I asked who Karlee something was instead of googling it. Does this make me an asshole too? Shit.

Also, I know plenty of people who wouldn't know what a Kardashian is. But they are also not likely to be on reddit, or to know what reddit is.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »

I was just teasing. I'm a little...surprised by the way others have reacted to the post.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

Cmon now.

Fair enough. We all have our buttons.

(We now know yours.)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »

Cmon now.

My dad pretends like he doesn't know how the last name is supposed to be pronounced and always says "Car Day She uHN" It bugs the shit out of me.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
So at what point did the "who is Ashley Madison" post add value to the experience?  You either posted it before reading the thread, which you intended to read and therefore learn the answer, or afterwards and you had already learned it.  And if you STILL didn't know and were interested in finding out, you could've Googled it.  The ONLY logical explanation for your post is to brag to us all you didn't know, and that's smug and obnoxious.
Perhaps your sarcasm/humor meter was set a little low that day. It was meant to be a humourous comment. And smug and obnoxious? That's okay, nay encouraged, around here. We are allowed to be as smug and obnoxious as we wish, provided that we use proper spelling and punctuation. What is discouraged is taking potshots at each other. They are to be aimed squarely at the issue(s), which I believe mine were. Yours, perhaps not quite as much, but I've been around here a while and I really can take it. Lighten up please, Chris22. The whole issue is pretty hilarious.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2015, 03:35:16 AM »

Cmon now.

Do you 2 have a prior history, because if not, your comments truly make you look like a rabid asshole. And I have no stake in this fight.

Lol, this.

I actually hadn't heard of Ashley Madison before this whole thing happened, I thought it was the name of a person when I first heard about it. I'm from England though.:P

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
I like that the dude in this thread most vigorously defending the scumbags who tried to have an affair on their spouse . . . has slipped up and admitted to being one of said scumbags.  It's beautiful in it's transparency.

My email is in there, and it's not for scumbag reasons. I discovered my wife was getting involved with a guy in her sister's city, but did not know the full extent of the affair. During the divorce, I created an account (just registered with email, no profile or credit card or paid account) on Ashley Madison and other sites to search if she posted a profile there. It was a contentious divorce, with custody and asset disputes (despite her cheating, she was trying to take full custody and ALL the assets). For the legal case and to keep my kids, I needed any proof I could find of her infidelity. It's unfortunate that people will likely jump to the wrong conclusion that *I* was cheating because I have an email address revealed in the hack. I'd be careful about vilifying anyone just because their email is in the hack.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
Sure, buddy.  I totally believe your convoluted and illogical justification story.  Could have used more ninjas though.  And maybe a dragon.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
Sure, buddy.  I totally believe your convoluted and illogical justification story.  Could have used more ninjas though.  And maybe a dragon.

Here's hoping you never are falsely accused by someone so judgmental. I didn't have to rush to anyone's defense (the original person you labeled a "scumbag") and say my email is in the hack too, but figured I would tell my story as a cautionary tale against people being so quick to brand a scarlet "A" on someone's chest. But go ahead and keep on' brandin'. If you think my story is so convoluted and illogical, you might ask a private investigator sometime if they ever attempt to gather evidence against a cheating spouse in such ways in a contentious divorce.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »

Here's hoping you never are falsely accused by someone so judgmental. I didn't have to rush to anyone's defense (the original person you labeled a "scumbag") and say my email is in the hack too, but figured I would tell my story as a cautionary tale against people being so quick to brand a scarlet "A" on someone's chest. But go ahead and keep on' brandin'. If you think my story is so convoluted and illogical, you might ask a private investigator sometime if they ever attempt to gather evidence against a cheating spouse in such ways in a contentious divorce.

I think your story was interesting, unconvoluted, and food for thought. 

I also think that passing moral judgement's on other peoples foibles that you don't know, and are unaffected by is rarely a useful exercize.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »

I also think that passing moral judgement's on other peoples foibles that you don't know, and are unaffected by is rarely a useful exercize.

+1. I found DoubleDown's story entirely plausible.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »
Ah, thanks guys :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »

I did as well.  I've done more than a few gray-hat type investigations.  I even worked somewhere where I was paid to tromp around in some of the seedy underbelly of the interwebs.  [Hint: in the future, don't use your main email address.  Use a throw away.  Not because the feds can't find you, because they still can.  But a little indirection goes a long way for 99% of the folks out there. ]

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »

I did as well.  I've done more than a few gray-hat type investigations.  I even worked somewhere where I was paid to tromp around in some of the seedy underbelly of the interwebs.  [Hint: in the future, don't use your main email address.  Use a throw away.  Not because the feds can't find you, because they still can.  But a little indirection goes a long way for 99% of the folks out there. ]

Me too. Why else bring up the topic?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »

+1

Passing moral judgment on others even if you do know them and are affected is also rarely a useful exercise.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »
I fully believe you doubledown and it seems like a logical thing to do under those circumstances.  I would have done that too, although would not have used my primary email address.  Maybe you didn't.

This whole Ashley Madison thing has run its course for me.  It was sensational at first and the few highly hypocritical instances of membership that have been revealed (Duggar etc.) seemed a bit karma-like.

I had little sympathy for those discovered on the list as participation crossed a moral boundary that I think should be maintained and there should be consequences for breaching.  The fact that those who joined to check on a cheating spouse or just out of curiosity were caught and publicly exposed along with those with intentions to cheat with a married person started to shift my opinion.  After a couple of suicides I think about it a bit differently - I'm not really interested in finding out who else is on the list whether I know them or not.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
50% of people cheat in a marriage.  40% of marriages end in divorce.  Most people don't even bother getting married anymore.  Single people make up a larger percentage of the adult population.  Marriage is pretty much dead in many Scandinavian countries and would pretty much vanish in the US if we had similar social programs.    It has already vanished at the welfare level and the rules of the ACA are accelerating the demise of marriage at the next level.

Conspiracy theory: Gay Marriage was passed by SCOTUS to save the institution of marriage because not enough people were getting married so they opened the floodgates to allow more. (not making fun of your post, I just laughed to myself when this popped into my head)

Don't laugh, I have actually heard a proponent of gay marriage suggest that the
LGBT community will save the institution of marriage. Not snarky, sincere comment both from him and from me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:39:54 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
 When I first heard of Ashley Madison, I was deeply skeptical that it would work. They had to have something like 20 men for every woman registered, right? It just didn't sound like a model that reflects reality to me.

And then last weekend on the NPR show called On the Media someone investigated and analyzed their business model. And it was this: straight  men were targeted  for chat. Bots would chat with them for cash (think how cheap that is to run, once you set up the bots.) If that man wanted further involvement with a woman via audio, they were sent to a service where girls talk dirty.

I don't know how much actual matching up of people in affairs took place.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
I fully believe you doubledown and it seems like a logical thing to do under those circumstances.  I would have done that too, although would not have used my primary email address.  Maybe you didn't.

Thanks! And correct, I did not use my primary email address, although some people could probably tie it to me. This was about 10 years ago, when hacks like this were really unheard of let alone commonplace and I was less vigilant. Nowadays I'd be even more careful to use a completely throwaway email address.

FWIW, my search on AM turned up nothing on my former spouse, which is not surprising considering the statistics about there being so few women on there. I already had some evidence of her infidelity such as phone records and internet activity, but no smoking gun that would meet the legal threshold which is pretty high (in my state, you needed photos or videotape of actual intercourse taken by a neutral party who can swear to their validity for it even to be considered). And of course my interests weren't just legal, I wanted to know the extent of the infidelity for obvious personal reasons as well, and so that when I confronted her I would know whether she would lie and deny everything (she did, as most would).