Author Topic: Anyone know of a map of public water fountains?  (Read 1275 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Anyone know of a map of public water fountains?
« on: June 28, 2019, 08:27:50 AM »
Weird question - Trying to plan out longer bike rides, but I don't want to have to stop and pay for drinks and I don't want to carry four or five liters of water when I head out.  :P

Anyone know if there's a map of public water fountains available online?  Or just places where you can get water?

Specifically looking for a map of the area between Toronto in the south, Barrie in the north, Port Perry in the East, and Brampton in the West.

- I stumbled upon a free water fountain outside of the Georgina Water Treatment plant just south of lake Simcoe.
- You used to be able to get free water from a ministry of the environment building at Reesor Rd. and Elgin Mills, but it appears to be closed this year.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anyone know of a map of public water fountains?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
This is wholly irrelevant but this question reminded me of it - NYC has a map showing every tree in the city. It's pretty cool.  https://tree-map.nycgovparks.org/

Random sharing aside, there's an app called "WeTap" that appears to do what you request. I'd give that a shot.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »
Many parks have water fountains, so maybe start by looking for parks?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 02:11:43 PM »
I had that thought a few years ago.  Have now stopped in four parks - none with fountains.  They don't seem to build them like that around here.  At least not any more.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
Hmm, interesting. I've always thought that if a park is intended to be a place where you can stay a while, it will have a public restroom. Public restrooms tend to have water fountains attached. I can think of a few tiny parks near me without plumbing of any sort, but most parks near me do have these facilities. Is Toronto that different from the US in this regard?

If that fails, check other public buildings (libraries, city halls, universities, etc.). These won't be open 24/7, but at least during business hours you should be able to get inside to use the restroom and refill a water bottle.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
The parks I've seen while riding around are small parks created for kids (playground stuff - monkey bars, sandbox, swings, etc. - but no bathrooms).  I always remember finding fountains at my local parks as a kid, but that does not seem to be the case any more.  Usually I'm going in and out of small towns in pretty rural areas, so it's hard identifying public buildings (if any exist).

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
Around here you can go into a gas station convenience store that sells soda on tap and they'll usually give you some water, or they'll let you use the restroom to get some yourself.  You could take a water filter, which is also useful for bikepacking.

They've been removing bubblers from when I was a kid, I'm sad to say.  The word is that they're too costly for cities and towns to maintain.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
My dad's running group used to have a list of water fountains and bathrooms in their area... Maybe reach out to running and cycling groups in the areas?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 07:18:52 AM »
In rural areas, I would occasionally stop by a church which would
have an outdoor water tap available.  In the southern states people
are  friendly and if you see them out on their porch you can ask
them for water.  I've also stopped in fast food places for free water.

Again, this is in the rural south, where hospitality still prevails.