Author Topic: Anyone else not "get" the protest/march mentality?  (Read 59754 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anyone else not "get" the protest/march mentality?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »
Those crazy kids with their dadgum texting!

Hey, you kids! Get off our state house lawn!

That is a good point.  Between the texting and the selfies, is anyone actually going to be able to hold up a sign?

Yeah, there are a lot of signs. There's also a lot of talk about angry white men throwing fits as they watch the protests on tv.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »
I mean, if people want to protest. Great.  But some of this stuff is beyond nasty and it is pure people being upset becuase their "team" didn't win.  Posting signs that saying yesterday is the equivalent of 9/11 is beyond embarrassing.

I just saw Ashley Judd rip the president who was just elected less than 24 hours ago in a completely degrading method and say he "bathes in cheetos."  I wonder what the reaction would be if people said Obama "bathes in coal."

Then Elibatheth Warren up there whining about everything when she has been in charge and fixed nothing in congress who has a approval rating in the teens.

Why don't people wait until Trump does something stupid, which he will.  If Trump is "Hitler" which I have seen so many signs this morning on CNN claiming he is, then protest when he starting acting like someone who slaughtered 20 million people.

I have no respect for people who are hanging out with other protestors who claim our new president is hitler, facist, and his inauguration is the equivalent of pearl harbor or 9/11. sorry.  They are acting like petulant children, and if you are marching with people like that, you are going to be grouped in with them.

Trump is going to do what he thinks is best for the country and will do what he thinks is best for everyone. I didn't agree with obama and I thought the stuff he pushed was absurd, but he thought what he was doing was best for the country. Trump might be completely wrong  on what he thinks will work some of this crap being spewed absurd.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
Gives me an idea for a patent...

Hands free protest sign with built in selfie stick

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
Posting signs that saying yesterday is the equivalent of 9/11 is beyond embarrassing.

Yes, some of the signs are definitely over the top. That's what happens in mass rallies, though. Some people get stupid, some people throw punches, and some people get overly impassioned. It's not right but it happens when 50,000+ people get together for the same purpose.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
Gives me an idea for a patent...

Hands free protest sign with built in selfie stick

Let me know if you need an investor!

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Posting signs that saying yesterday is the equivalent of 9/11 is beyond embarrassing.

Yes, some of the signs are definitely over the top. That's what happens in mass rallies, though. Some people get stupid, some people throw punches, and some people get overly impassioned. It's not right but it happens when 50,000+ people get together for the same purpose.

It wasn't a few signs by random people. Ashley Judd was an invited speaker up on stage.  She was invited by the organizers. She was up there talking about hitler and slavery. Saying Ivanka is Trump's favorite sex symbol.  Utterly ridiculous and beyond stupid.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:02:49 AM by packlawyer04 »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »

It wasn't a few signs by random people. Ashley Judd was an invited speaker up on stage.  She was invited by the organizers. She was up there talking about hitler and slavery. Saying Ivanka is Trump's favorite sex symbol.  Utterly ridiculous and beyond stupid.

I dunno. She might have a point about IT. Unlike her siblings, she is always standing close to her dad. She delivered the address at the RNC. She is the favored one. She is the one DT said he would date if she was not his daughter. So Judd's statements don't seem so stupid in light of DT saying he would date his own daughter. Ick.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
He might not act very presidential at times (nearly all the time) but I don't think he is incompetent.  He is pretty good at arranging deals and getting others to do what he wants.

Anyway the problem is not Trump, the problem is the republican senate and house.   How did THAT happen?

That happened because people were sick to death of the way this country was heading.  I have voted democrat for thirty years,  before the primaries I had decided to vote for the republican candidate for president.  I wasn't happy that Trump became the candidate, but he did and I voted for him.  I wish him all the best.  I voted a straight republican ticket and I will be changing my voter registration to republican before the next election.  The democratic party has become much too liberal for me to support them any longer and apparently a whole lot of other people agreed with me.  I am solidly middle class, I am a woman, I am a southerner, my husband is a union member and we both voted republican. 

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 04:59:53 AM »
I think protests or marches are fine ... as long as there is a specific policy or law one wants to see changed. Recently, however, I refused to encourage a local protest (at my Unitarian church where I am on the board) partly because the whole focus of the protest was people's feelings. Certain people were said to be feeling scared and threatened right after the election, therefore we all needed to protest/show solidarity. How silly. We all have a responsibility to see that are laws and customs are just. You alone are responsible for your feelings.

You rock! Thank you for being a voice of reason, with the Unitarians even! You provided a dose of intellectual reality.

I was raised 4th generation Unitarian (those are hard to find!) and whle an aethiest, I would't go near a Unitarian church especially these days where I am sure liberal politics run high. I am no longer liberal politically.

DH and I boycotted the church in our neighborhood that hosted a workshop on how to protest. They held practice demonstrating in the street. i live near Ferguson in the city of St. Louis like the OP and see this crap all the time. We boycotted the church's regular dinners, hahah! Not much of a boycott, but we did it  and told our friends on the board that we were doing so. A tiny thing, but our thing. :)

Thanks, Iris.

Another issue: As a reflective introvert, I'm just turned off both by the crowd mentality and the physical experience of being in a crowd. I can see how others might feel this way too.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:06 AM »
I dunno. She might have a point about IT. Unlike her siblings, she is always standing close to her dad. She delivered the address at the RNC. She is the favored one.

...she is potentially, the first female President???  ;)

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
About 59 million people thought he was the best candidate.  Instead of telling them they are wrong and you won't tolerate their choice, why not spend the time to understand their issues and why they voted for the guy?  Your candidate(s) ignored these people and lost.  Maybe if you supported actions to solve their problems and to include them in the decision making process about the future of the country, next time around this person or someone like him won't be perceived as the solution to their problems.

Doesn't this go both ways though?

In the same way people on the left should be asking themselves how so many people are feeling left behind in America, shouldn't people on the right be asking why we saw the largest post inauguration marches and protests in history yesterday?  Or why so many saw things differently that Trump lost the popular vote by roughly 3 million votes? There were certainly protests to both GWB and Obama, but neither to the scale of what happened yesterday.  Just as those on the left never took the time to find out what was happing in small towns and small cities throughout American and especially the rust belt, those on the right have never taken the time to understand why Donald Trump was a uniquely offensive candidate to a large segment of the American population. 

I feel confident that if it had been Paul Ryan or John Kacich or Marco Rubio on that stage being sworn in as President that there would have been protests, but much smaller than what happened yesterday. 

I know people that attended marches yesterday and I know why the went. Trivializing them as a bunch of whiners that are just unhappy that their team lost does as little good as those on the left that label all Trump supporters as bigots. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
I mean, if people want to protest. Great.  But some of this stuff is beyond nasty and it is pure people being upset becuase their "team" didn't win.  Posting signs that saying yesterday is the equivalent of 9/11 is beyond embarrassing.

Agreed, but it's their right.  Just as it was the right of white republicans to march around with signs telling Obama to go back to Kenya.

I just saw Ashley Judd rip the president who was just elected less than 24 hours ago in a completely degrading method and say he "bathes in cheetos."  I wonder what the reaction would be if people said Obama "bathes in coal."

I'm sure that you're well aware of this . . . but there's a difference between a racial joke and one that focuses on choice to use a lot of fake tanning lotion.  That's why there would be a different reaction to the jokes you just typed.  If you joked that Obama had goofy looking ears or a bad haircut I doubt you would ruffle any feathers.

Why don't people wait until Trump does something stupid, which he will.  If Trump is "Hitler" which I have seen so many signs this morning on CNN claiming he is, then protest when he starting acting like someone who slaughtered 20 million people.

Because they're allowed to express their opinions in the form of peaceful protest before Trump ruins the universe . . . in the hopes that he will be somewhat more cautious of his approach knowing how many people disagree with him.

I have no respect for people who are hanging out with other protestors who claim our new president is hitler, facist, and his inauguration is the equivalent of pearl harbor or 9/11. sorry.  They are acting like petulant children, and if you are marching with people like that, you are going to be grouped in with them.

You don't have to respect them.  I don't think anyone has asked you to.  You just have to respect their rights.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
About 59 million people thought he was the best candidate.  Instead of telling them they are wrong and you won't tolerate their choice, why not spend the time to understand their issues and why they voted for the guy?  Your candidate(s) ignored these people and lost.  Maybe if you supported actions to solve their problems and to include them in the decision making process about the future of the country, next time around this person or someone like him won't be perceived as the solution to their problems.

In the same way people on the left should be asking themselves how so many people are feeling left behind in America, shouldn't people on the right be asking why we saw the largest post inauguration marches and protests in history yesterday?  Or why so many saw things differently that Trump lost the popular vote by roughly 3 million votes? There were certainly protests to both GWB and Obama, but neither to the scale of what happened yesterday.  Just as those on the left never took the time to find out what was happing in small towns and small cities throughout American and especially the rust belt, those on the right have never taken the time to understand why Donald Trump was a uniquely offensive candidate to a large segment of the American population. 

I feel confident that if it had been Paul Ryan or John Kacich or Marco Rubio on that stage being sworn in as President that there would have been protests, but much smaller than what happened yesterday. 

I know people that attended marches yesterday and I know why the went. Trivializing them as a bunch of whiners that are just unhappy that their team lost does as little good as those on the left that label all Trump supporters as bigots.

I understand why people don't like Trump.  We've heard it all through the election and yesterday.

They don't like what he's said about immigrants.
They don't like his business history.
They don't like his treatment of women, his wives, his family, his involvement in pageants, his comments about grabbing pussy.
They don't like his lack of political experience
They don't like his cabinet and department appointment
They don't like his hair, his tie, his skin tone
They think he's dumb, power hungry, selfish, racist, mean.
They don't believe he is authentic.
They think he's going to cause war
They think he's colluding with foreign governments

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Women marched yesterday because they are upset, they wanted to "do something", they wanted to not feel alone in their rage, they wanted to "make history" they wanted to express their support for abortion, women's rights, LGBT, immigrants, all races, all nations, etc. etc. etc. etc.

They're terrified of war and of religion.  They're terrified of losing health care.  They're terrified of changes in the government.  They're terrified of climate change, etc. (But I didn't see many climate change signs).  Most were about uteruses.

And, they're really, really mad he's President.     The protest was one big hissyfit that was also about ladies bonding and celebrating pink and womanhood and taking selfies and feeling good about themselves.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:49:56 AM by KBecks »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
I totally get the right to protest, and I think history teaches us that it works.  With that said, if you've got your face covered and you're running around throwing bricks through windows and lighting fires, you're not a protester, you're an asshole.

This is what bothers me.  Peaceful protests of women wearing hand knit pink p*ssy hats and crafted signs, OK, whatever floats your boat.  But thugs running around vandalizing a city, mostly because they think they're above the law and can get away with it, is ugly, stupid and wrong.
I think everyone agrees about this.  The two groups have nothing to do with one another.  J20 has been posting for weeks on social media that they intended to disrupt the inauguration.  I thought it was weird that the police didn't stop them, knowing what their plans were, but I guess in this country, you still have to actually "do" the crime before it becomes a crime.  Yes, they were unlawful.   Nothing to do with the march tomorrow.  Please do not conflate the two

I've been involved in protests before, including the level of making extensive prior plans.  Often police will find ways to disrupt ahead of time.  Repeatedly in America, from 1998 through 2008 and probably since, protest leaders have been jailed and otherwise eliminated from action by police prior to planned protests, including marches and scheduled major political events such as the party conventions.  They don't always wait.  And that's before the Trump era.

Since that appears not to have happened this time, it may have been intended not to happen.  Police may have allowed the tiny minority of "rioters" free rein to distract attention from the MASSIVE, overwhelming majority of protesters who are peaceful.  Police planners and their political bosses know that most media, following their business needs, will prioritize coverage of "violence" (though breaking a window is a property crime, violence means physically hurting a person) instead of the peaceful majority.  It causes the coverage to slant away from the issues, and detracts from the impressive power of the people.

Yes, I get why people protest.  It's one of the many ways people in a democracy assemble, communicate, and determine the country's future. 

+1 to the person who said that democracy is not just voting.  IMHO voting is similar to playing the first level of a video game.  You're playing, but there are more levels.  Including this discussion.  So, my respect to all participants in this thread.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Both sets of protests are a waste of time and energy.  Start talking to your neighbors and (gasp) friends that voted for the guy you don't like.  Spend time understanding their issues.  Then work to fix their issues.  If people do not expend the effort to understand and work with other people that do not share their opinions, there will be no progress in unifying the country.

I HAVE tried that. Most of what I've gotten in return is a parrot of what Trump said, what Kelly Conway said, or what FoxNews said. There are these problems that they had only a small awareness of until election time when the politicians and the 24 news cycle told them what these problems were. They they became big problems that nobody but their candidate could solve - except I am doubtful that he and his has much of a plan except to make he and his more wealthy b/c apparently a billion plus dollars isn't enough for one lifetime...

As for the smashers and vandals during the protests - there are ALWAYS vandals that take advantage of a big protest crowd to get their kicks. Also - as proven in other protests in other countries - sometimes someone pays those vandals to create chaos and cast a bad light on the protesters. Take the BLM protests in Ferguson - and clearly people take advantage of the protests to get their pound of satisfaction aka some thing of value.

The cries of fascists and Nazis come from a fear  that this is the start of something awful due to the people that Trump surrounds himself with. The want to take rights away from a whole host of people that the GOP disagrees with but worryingly and potentially in ways even more exaggerated than the GOP has done in the past. I think it is a valid concern considering the public POVs of some of these characters.

IMHO I think the GOP and supporters can no longer describe themselves as the party of family values.

Yeah, I'm still appalled that this character ever made it past the primaries. 

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »

It is just a reflection of the current political climate. Both sides hate each other and it continues to get worse by the day.  It is simply about winning and beating the other side now. One side is mad they lost, so they are protesting. Which is why both sides cast the other side in such extremes when in reality the differences in opinion on what is best for the country is not that far apart.  People are now at the point where if someone disagrees slightly with you they are automatically a bigot, racist, socialist or communist.  Nobody wants to try to find a middle ground because that is forefiting at this point.

I fully expect the next 4 years to be nothing but both sides trying to beat the other. Same old same old.  Which is why I don't know why so many people are freaking out about Trump.  Especially considering Trump is a democrat at heart and has supported democrats his entire life.

Not to get into more in fighting but recall when Obama told McCain during the "healthcare roundtable" that the election was over and elections have consequences.  Then you got house republicans basically vowing from day 1 that they will do everything they can to see Obama fail.  It has been really bad the last 8 years. 

The media and social media are also to blame. The news agencys for both sides post nothing but ridiculous articles and commentary to try to cast the other side in the extreme.  People read that. People talk about it. People post it on their social media.  People get more entrenched. Start arguing with friends on Facebook, yadda yadda yadda.  The news agencies need to get out of the political business and simply get back to reporting and investigative journalism.  The problem is now with cable TV, they all need to fill time so they all have talking heads getting people fired up to get ratings.

Thus, we are here today.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:16:42 AM by packlawyer04 »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
He might not act very presidential at times (nearly all the time) but I don't think he is incompetent.  He is pretty good at arranging deals and getting others to do what he wants.

Anyway the problem is not Trump, the problem is the republican senate and house.   How did THAT happen?

Gerrymandering.

Try the puzzle (first link) or read the solution (second link).
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/rig-the-election-with-math/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-puzzle-will-you-yes-you-decide-the-election/

Both of them show how Congressional districts can be drawn so that a minority of voters can elect a majority of Representatives.

The article below and the book it discusses show (though the book is partisan in tone) that this has actually happened, and in ways that favor the Republican Party.  Stopping there though other sources exist.  (Gerrymandering isn't the only factor, just a big one.  The point is that Republican dominance in Congress doesn't necessarily represent a majority vote of the people.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-power-that-gerrymandering-has-brought-to-republicans/2016/06/17/045264ae-2903-11e6-ae4a-3cdd5fe74204_story.html?utm_term=.39a2a8370dcc

Re the Senate, disproportionate voting is built in to the Constitution.  States with tiny populations (rural states voting mostly Republican) have the same number of Senators per state as states with huge liberal populations (California, New York). Again, a minority of voters can elect a majority of Senators. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »

Then Elibatheth Warren up there whining about everything when she has been in charge and fixed nothing in congress who has a approval rating in the teens.

Trump is going to do what he thinks is best for the country and will do what he thinks is best for everyone. I didn't agree with obama and I thought the stuff he pushed was absurd, but he thought what he was doing was best for the country. Trump might be completely wrong  on what he thinks will work some of this crap being spewed absurd.

A quick check shows that Elizabeth Warren's approval rating is at 61% compared to Donald Trump's 40%...

The only protester sign I saw from yesterday's marches that mentioned 9/11 was on that mentioned that ~4K people died in the 9/11 attacks and we went on to spend $5T on three wars. Meanwhile ~45,000 people die each year from not having insurance and the GOP is repealing that one.

Yep, I expect that the time before Trump really embarrasses himself - and he'll need to work hard to out do what he has already done - is counting down. I just wonder if anyone will even notice though at this point. What exactly would he have to do to do now to turn off the GOP? Murder?

Donald told us point blank about "really bad things" that he wants to accomplish during his presidency. People are scared of those things he said he was planning to do will really happen. He didn't just allude to anything - he spoke plainly about them. Then the GOP lumped on all the things they wanted to do as well. Basically if you are a minority, homosexual, uninsured by your employer, or your citizenship is still not settled you are potentially (and likely) screwed.

Of course Donald might threaten everyone and then will back away from all those topics so that his time in office is remembered more favorably... Who wants to live with that uncertainty?

Live and let live...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:57:53 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »

I understand why people don't like Trump.  We've heard it all through the election and yesterday.

They don't like what he's said about immigrants.
They don't like his business history.
They don't like his treatment of women, his wives, his family, his involvement in pageants, his comments about grabbing pussy.
They don't like his lack of political experience
They don't like his cabinet and department appointment
They don't like his hair, his tie, his skin tone
They think he's dumb, power hungry, selfish, racist, mean.
They don't believe he is authentic.
They think he's going to cause war
They think he's colluding with foreign governments

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Women marched yesterday because they are upset, they wanted to "do something", they wanted to not feel alone in their rage, they wanted to "make history" they wanted to express their support for abortion, women's rights, LGBT, immigrants, all races, all nations, etc. etc. etc. etc.

They're terrified of war and of religion.  They're terrified of losing health care.  They're terrified of changes in the government.  They're terrified of climate change, etc. (But I didn't see many climate change signs).  Most were about uteruses.

And, they're really, really mad he's President.     The protest was one big hissyfit that was also about ladies bonding and celebrating pink and womanhood and taking selfies and feeling good about themselves.

Three points:

First, no, they are not "terrified of religion." I saw many church groups there yesterday, in fact.

Second, I am guessing you were not at one of the rallies. Which means that what you saw came through the filter of whatever media you consumed about it. I was at the march and I did see many climate change signs.

Third, I find it funny that you are able to point out all of these very legitimate concerns about Trump -- concerns that are likely to negatively impact a large number of people in this country (possibly even the vast majority), and then in the next breath call it nothing but a hissy fit.

I'm sorry, but just because you don't care about any of this stuff doesn't mean that it's not legitimate. It just means you don't care.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Yes they are frightened of the churches b/c the churches are part of the effort to de-legitimize gay rights and to take away the right to an abortion... (among other things)

I am GLAD people are protesting peacefully (aside from a few anarchists).

Protests and marches are what you get when people are unhappy but not willing to go out and shoot their rivals. I'm very, very glad of that.

Live and let live people!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
Most of the protestors are not FIRE, so they will have to go back to work or school tomorrow.  With any luck, the noise level will drop dramatically and whoever is in Washington can get on with the task of governing the country.  Trump's a jerk, but he is a pretty good delegator and he has picked an interesting group of people to run the government.  We will see how this plays out of the coming weeks and months.  Meanwhile, I'm going to do exactly what I would have done if the other team had won the pot, with the same watchful eye on another set of the thieving politicians making and changing the rules of the game.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »

I'm not afraid of churches, in fact I attend and volunteer for my church very regularly.  I am terrified of war, and I don't know anybody sensible who isn't. I will agree that a lot of women were upset about sexual harassment and were protesting against it. During the march I got to meet and network with a lot of new people, and I think it opened up the political discussion for a lot of people who previously were not engaged. Say what you will to belittle and minimize this event, it was a good and constructive thing to do for those who chose to participate.

As a first-time marcher and registered independent, let me give you my perspective as to why I joined.

The elections are a little like ordering a big dinner platter for extended family. Some people want the chicken marsala, others want the shrimp scampi. A lot of people wish that roast beef or a vegetarian option were available, or aren't even hungry at all, but tough: chicken marsala and shrimp scampi are the choices, and when you sit down at the table, you have to eat.

In recent years,  a lot of people haven't been happy because neither option was cooked very well, and some have pointed out that the chicken marsala tasted a lot like the scampi, strangely.  Okay.  Well, this time, the choices were chicken marsala and a POOP SANDWICH!!! And the poop sandwich got ordered! It's sitting there, right in front of us, on our plates! What the HECK!! So, yeah, you betcha, a lot of people are getting up from the table to complain.

So I didn't march against Bushes I and II, I wouldn't have marched against McCain or Romney (and maybe I should be blamed for being too passive), but Trump is just. too. much. 

My advice for Republicans is not to waste your capital and credibility defending this guy.  Aren't you better than this?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:11:25 PM by Poundwise »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
Okay.  Well, this time, the choices were chicken marsala and a POOP SANDWICH!!! And the poop sandwich got ordered! It's sitting there, right in front of us, on our plates! What the HECK!! So, yeah, you betcha, a lot of people are getting up from the table to complain.

I love your analogy! But I see it a bit differently...in my view, the choices were two different flavors of poop sandwich. Both were shit.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
Edited to make this less strident. Working on it guys!

The rioters are pretty much irrelevant, even if you want to critique the protests. Just like in Ferguson, they were a very tiny minority and also unrelated to the main protest. Pretty scummy to point to them and act like 3 million people are all just whining hooligans.

No arrests in DC:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/peace-positivity-massive-women-s-march-make-voices-heard-d-n710356
http://fox6now.com/2017/01/21/police-say-no-arrests-at-womens-march-in-dc/

No arrests in LA:
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-la-ln-womens-march-20170121-story.html

No arrests in Boston:
http://www.fox25boston.com/news/police-commissioner-boston-womens-march-respectful-refreshing/486834277

I could go on. What seems whiny to me is to complain about the protests when your basis isn't even related to what was actually going on.

As for the OP, I can't add much more other than to reiterate that things like a woman's right to vote or an end to Jim Crow very much sprung in large part from widespread organized protests. This one is in some ways unprecedented, and that fact alone warrants close reflection by all sides. This is obviously not sour grapes. Just look at what happened after GWB won in 2000 (hint, there was not a 3m person nationwide protest).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:26:04 PM by Lagom »

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
Over the weekend, the entire planet switched from talking about getting used to his presidency, to the press calling him an outright liar and publicly debating whether he's opposed by a simple, or by a vast, majority of Americans.

All because people took one afternoon stroll together. What's not to get about protests?

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
Over the weekend, the entire planet switched from talking about getting used to his presidency, to the press calling him an outright liar and publicly debating whether he's opposed by a simple, or by a vast, majority of Americans.

All because people took one afternoon stroll together. What's not to get about protests?

That's a huge extrapolation. Today is championship Sunday for the NFL, I will have to check tomorrow, but I bet there is a chance that interest is comparable to these groups of people in the street.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »

I'm not afraid of churches, in fact I attend and volunteer for my church very regularly.  I am terrified of war, and I don't know anybody sensible who isn't. I will agree that a lot of women were upset about sexual harassment and were protesting against it. During the march I got to meet and network with a lot of new people, and I think it opened up the political discussion for a lot of people who previously were not engaged. Say what you will to belittle and minimize this event, it was a good and constructive thing to do for those who chose to participate.

As a first-time marcher and registered independent, let me give you my perspective as to why I joined.

The elections are a little like ordering a big dinner platter for extended family. Some people want the chicken marsala, others want the shrimp scampi. A lot of people wish that roast beef or a vegetarian option were available, or aren't even hungry at all, but tough: chicken marsala and shrimp scampi are the choices, and when you sit down at the table, you have to eat.

In recent years,  a lot of people haven't been happy because neither option was cooked very well, and some have pointed out that the chicken marsala tasted a lot like the scampi, strangely.  Okay.  Well, this time, the choices were chicken marsala and a POOP SANDWICH!!! And the poop sandwich got ordered! It's sitting there, right in front of us, on our plates! What the HECK!! So, yeah, you betcha, a lot of people are getting up from the table to complain.

So I didn't march against Bushes I and II, I wouldn't have marched against McCain or Romney (and maybe I should be blamed for being too passive), but Trump is just. too. much. 

My advice for Republicans is not to waste your capital and credibility defending this guy.  Aren't you better than this?

South Park did a great episode earlier in 2016 with an election between the Giant Douche (Trump) and Turd Sandwich (Clinton).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »

South Park did a great episode earlier in 2016 with an election between the Giant Douche (Trump) and Turd Sandwich (Clinton).

See, this is where we differ politically.  I'd call Trump the Turd Sandwich.  Clinton would be only Douche-by-association because of Bill.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:12:16 PM by Poundwise »

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
That's a huge extrapolation. Today is championship Sunday for the NFL, I will have to check tomorrow, but I bet there is a chance that interest is comparable to these groups of people in the street.

So your point is that a few hours of protest can generate attention comparable to the largest sporting event in the country? It seems like a stretch but I hope you're right.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »

The thing about the popular vote is that the candidates were not running for popular vote, they were running for electoral votes.  If they had been seeking popular vote, then Trump would have spent more time in California and Hillary might have shown her face in places like Kentucky.  No one can know what the popular vote result would have been if they were campaigning for it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

The thing about the popular vote is that the candidates were not running for popular vote, they were running for electoral votes.  If they had been seeking popular vote, then Trump would have spent more time in California and Hillary might have shown her face in places like Kentucky.  No one can know what the popular vote result would have been if they were campaigning for it.
[/quote]

Dear me, not this again. Yes I'm sure the 3m margin by which he lost would have been quite easy to overcome /yawn.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
Okay.  Well, this time, the choices were chicken marsala and a POOP SANDWICH!!! And the poop sandwich got ordered! It's sitting there, right in front of us, on our plates! What the HECK!! So, yeah, you betcha, a lot of people are getting up from the table to complain.

I love your analogy! But I see it a bit differently...in my view, the choices were two different flavors of poop sandwich. Both were shit.

Yes, but those that ordered the other turd sandwhich are really upset so have to eat a similar turd sandwich. Sad.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »

Dear me, not this again. Yes I'm sure the 3m margin by which he lost would have been quite easy to overcome /yawn.
[/quote]

I think the results would have been different if the election was based upon popular vote.  More Democrats voting in the red states and more Republicans in the blue states.  However, I think HRC would have won the popular vote by more than 3m if that's how the election was determined.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
If you don't get it, don't go.  If you are like me, you don't get it because you can't really empathize with the people who are protesting.   I am 43 years old and never went to a protest before Saturday.  I may never go to another one again. 

I went because I feel "that" strongly that Trump is a crisis for this country.  Roll your eyes or whatever, but that is how I feel, and I needed this protest on a personal level.  People who feel disheartened and alone don't act, they despair and give up.  I needed to see for my own eyes that the values of this country still exist.  I needed to walk in my nation's capital, and walk up to MY White House to remind myself and to show my daughter that this is OUR country too. 

I disagree that feelings aren't important; they are vital.  They are basically what fuelled this election on both sides, and ignoring other people's feelings is what divides us.  Empathy unites us and is critical for the formation of successful human societies.   I think a lot of what got Trump elected was this feeling of being forgotten, diminished and ignored.  It was humiliation and loss of their voices in American culture.  Well, I have a voice too, and if you want me to hear you, you have to hear me. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
Another issue: As a reflective introvert, I'm just turned off both by the crowd mentality and the physical experience of being in a crowd. I can see how others might feel this way too.

This sign is for you, then!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »

Yes, but those that ordered the other turd sandwhich are really upset so have to eat a similar turd sandwich. Sad.

Come on, are you saying it isn't sadder to be the one taking a big bite of the dung hoagie?

I'm telling you, the fishy-two-week-old-chicken-plate-with-free-douche-side that was Clinton, is looking positively edible in comparison.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm not a big march participant, myself. But I understand the mentality.

If you feel disenfranchised, but you stay at home and say nothing about it - how does anyone know you're disenfranchised? And if everyone like you stays home and says nothing, then who is going to notice that your entire group feels disenfranchised?

People outside of your group will assume that everything is a-ok with you. That you're just quiet and happy.

When someone from your group stands up and says out loud, "Hey! I'm disenfranchised!" but no one stands up with them, then why should anyone else believe them or take them seriously?

Marching might not change anything concrete, but it frequently can change the perception that everything is a-ok.

Because of the Women's March, for example, no one can say, "Women are fine. They aren't complaining about anything. There's no such thing as women's issues anymore." The hope is that our politicians will get the message that there are still women's issues, and women do care about them, and those issues are political issues.

53% of white women voted for Trump, and I think that makes it easy for white people to shrug and say, "Well, that means this government represents women." But clearly many women don't feel that way. That's only clear because they turned out to march. Sitting at home and being a loud voice on Facebook doesn't clearly demonstrate the quantity of women that feel that this government isn't going to represent them. Showing up and marching does.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
Protesting is fine with me - I get it.

The part I find hard to understand is that many people of modest means used vacation time and spent significant money flying into DC to participate.  For many this means less precious time off to do things they enjoy.  I guess I would have found it better if people participated in local protests and used the travel time and money furthering their cause in more productive ways.

They spent their money and vacation time to do something that was important to them.  Imagine if a law was passed with a 25% on all savings and dismantling the tax advantaged account systems.  You might invest a little time and money into protesting that as well.  A big presence in DC carries more weight than a small protest in anytown, USA.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »

The part I find hard to understand is that many people of modest means used vacation time and spent significant money flying into DC to participate.  For many this means less precious time off to do things they enjoy.  I guess I would have found it better if people participated in local protests and used the travel time and money furthering their cause in more productive ways.

A cousin of mine who went from Texas to DC is not of modest means, she is married to a high-level surgeon.  I don't know the means of everybody else but I would imagine many of the women there can afford the expense.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

A cousin of mine who went from Texas to DC is not of modest means, she is married to a high-level surgeon.  I don't know the means of everybody else but I would imagine many of the women there can afford the expense.

Wait, I thought liberals were a bunch of takers on the government dole?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »

Nah, the takers on the government dole are all of the southern red states. Jfc, they'd be a cesspit without assistance from liberal Calfornia and Illinois and New York.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »

No, there are many, many, many wealthy liberals.   Stop goofing around.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
What are these marches trying to accomplish?  What is hoped to change?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »

I know about 15 women who went.  Five of them were of very modest means but it was very important to them to come out saying "women matter".

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »
I know women of modest means who went - and they pooled their resources to make it possible. Carpooling, room sharing, etc.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »

Come on, are you saying it isn't sadder to be the one taking a big bite of the dung hoagie?

I'm telling you, the fishy-two-week-old-chicken-plate-with-free-douche-side that was Clinton, is looking positively edible in comparison.

Well, hindsight being 20/20, as much as it pains me to say this, a small part of me agrees. At least with the fishy-two-week-old-chicken-plate, we knew exactly what illness we would have gotten. Now, we're looking at a yet-to-be-discovered bacteria with no known treatment.

Honestly, I think our choices were SOOOOO bad this election that if either party would have chosen ANYONE else as their candidate, that person would have won in a landslide.

But back to the topic at hand. This thread has been quite enlightening to me. While I still say protests/marches are not at all my cup of tea, it's easy to see that this particular protest was immensely important to a helluva lot of people, and I can respect their choice/desire to have their voices heard.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »
How do you think people effect change?

You can work behind the scenes, sure - what gets noticed though?

Do you think civil rights would have happened without protests?

What about suffrage?

You can't compare Temper Tantrum 2017 to the civil rights or suffrage movements, and it's a grave insult to those who were willing to risk their lives--and those who died--to put forward their cause to try and do so.  I guarantee that if it got out that the National Guard was going to be out and about tomorrow the majority of the marchers would find excuses not to go.   

I know dozens if not hundreds of people who marched, and very few were having a temper tantrum.

Perhaps if you got into a dialogue with people about the reasons, you'd be better able to understand.

There are dozens of reasons why people marched.  It's absolutely not an insult to people who risked their lives - you cannot possibly know how far these folks were willing to go.  This might only be step one.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »

I'm sure you do feel that way. But what does it matter, at this point, anyway? Whether turd sandwhich on rye or rotten chicken with skunky fish sauce, we all have to take a bite. Pouting that rotten douche chicken would have been better is much less helpful than working together to season the plate into something that's at least marginally better.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
I think they are acting like petulant children who did not get what they want.

This is typical of Millennials.     I imagine half the signs at the protest will consist of emoticons.
Hm. Average age of the protestors I know is approximately 49.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
I think they are acting like petulant children who did not get what they want.

This is typical of Millennials.     I imagine half the signs at the protest will consist of emoticons.
Hm. Average age of the protestors I know is approximately 49.

Judging from the crowd I saw at ours, I woud say early forties.