Author Topic: Any Bass Fishing Enthusiasts Around?  (Read 2552 times)

deek

• Bristles
Any Bass Fishing Enthusiasts Around?
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »
In my more mustachian last couple years, I have spent more time on uncostly hobbies, such as bass fishing. I have always loved it, but am much more invested in it now and I am fascinated by fish. Considering starting my own bass brand this year.

Anyone else share the love for the sport??

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any Bass Fishing Enthusiasts Around?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
I go out on a buddy's dock on a private little tank/pond a few times a year, but nothing serious. Pretty relaxing, and a good thing to keep your hands busy while chatting with someone.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
I go out on a buddy's dock on a private little tank/pond a few times a year, but nothing serious. Pretty relaxing, and a good thing to keep your hands busy while chatting with someone.

Very relaxing. What started as a way to hang out with my dad when I was young has turned into an amazing way to spend a morning/afternoon. I love getting away from everything and the challenge of pulling a 4-6 LB fish out of the water. Thank goodness my dad has a fishing boat! I plan on getting a fishing kayak soon too.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
Weirdly one of my favorite things is tying the hook to the line. Something about fishing knots is just interesting. Such a simple thing can have a lot of complexity, there are even knot tying competitions out there.

I'm a fan of the uni-knot, but I don't go often so it's nice to have one relatively easy knot to remember. Also use it to secure rope to a clasp for a dog leash, or just in general when tying a rope to something that I don't need to remove easily.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:36:15 AM »
@ooeei The Palomar knot is my go to. Super strong. Takes a bit to learn how to get it perfect.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
@ooeei The Palomar knot is my go to. Super strong. Takes a bit to learn how to get it perfect.

Yeah I tried that since it looks so simple, but I never really trusted it since about half broke when I test pulled them by hand. I think it's similar to a bowline where one thing going over vs under can ruin the knot. Lots of pros swear by it though, I'm sure if you make it a habit and tie it consistently it's great.

edit: Also the uni can be used to tie line to line, used with braid, as a snell, or tied into a loop to allow better bait spinning. Very versatile.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:07:11 PM by ooeei »

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
Never thought I would see this topic here, but bass fishing is my main hobby.  Also my unmistachian hobby

I used to tournament fish a lot but don’t anymore.  But still fish as much as possible

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »
River smallmouth are my thing...absolutely love it.  Unfortunately I didn't do enough of it when I lived next to world class waters, was so focused to "not be poor" that I didn't fish enough.   Continued that love occasionally around Atlanta, but haven't bass fished in 3 years.   Another reason I'm really wanting to retire soon...

Best moment was being just underneath the I-285 bridge in Atlanta on a Sunday morning after being semi-skunked on the kayak...then pulled up a nice Smallie or Shoal bass right in front of this high end breakfast place.  I was screaming and yelling with excitement on my almost free hobby while people were eating $30 brunches in front of me.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
Not since I was a kid, when it was a main hobby of mine.  Oh, the hours I spent stalking largemouth bass (fairly successfully) as a twiggy little girl alone in rowboat with pole and two lures (black rapala and nightcrawlers). LOL.

Mmmmm...fresh from the lake pan-fried centrarchids.  It's been YEARS.

ETA: christ on a crutch how did I end up so far from water my entire adult life?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »
I've had a pretty terrible last few days at work, been researching multiple lake/river options for more bass fishing!

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »
Never thought I would see this topic here, but bass fishing is my main hobby.  Also my unmistachian hobby

I used to tournament fish a lot but don’t anymore.  But still fish as much as possible

My dad used to tournament fish as well - this was when my my brother and I were elementary/middle school aged. Now 26 and 23. Made money doing it for a couple years. I'm just glad he has a boat I can use!

River smallmouth are my thing...absolutely love it.  Unfortunately I didn't do enough of it when I lived next to world class waters, was so focused to "not be poor" that I didn't fish enough.   Continued that love occasionally around Atlanta, but haven't bass fished in 3 years.   Another reason I'm really wanting to retire soon...

Best moment was being just underneath the I-285 bridge in Atlanta on a Sunday morning after being semi-skunked on the kayak...then pulled up a nice Smallie or Shoal bass right in front of this high end breakfast place.  I was screaming and yelling with excitement on my almost free hobby while people were eating $30 brunches in front of me.

Awesome. I'd love to do more urban fishing.. but I live in Iowa.
Last April my dad and I were fishing a family friend's rural pond and he yanked out a 8-ish LB Largemouth and I was beside myself. Biggest bass I've ever seen in person.

I'm saving up for a kayak to take out on my own this year. Would love to start doing some video editing of my trips and starting a brand. Maybe a specialty channel for anglers on a budget. Either that or focus on bass fishing in Iowa.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:28:52 AM by dj »

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
I have an inflatable kajak that i take around deflated  with my bike using a burley cargo trailer. Minimalistic fishing stuff on a backpack.
Is a lot of physical exercise to get to a lake, pumping up the kayak and go fishing but is very cheap and rewarding, and you combines physical effort with hobby. I can only say in the evening you are dead tired.
sometime you can go off the beaten path and reach interesting places that are not reachable by car.

Still, it has been one year since my last tine out ...just had a second kid and I can barely manage to go to the river nearby and quickly fish some truits from the shore

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
River bass....once you get an angry 3lb smallmouth on the line and are trying to reel him in while wading/jumping on rocks, pond fishing for largemouth will never be the same

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
WE HAVE OPEN WATER! I'm so ready to be setting hooks.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
@chasesfish
@Grog
@wenchsenior
@Bumbles8
@ooeei

If you all are interested and have Instagram - I've got a personal fishing feed @derekjonfishing

I've also created a bass fishing brand - @bassbuffofficial

Feel free to give them a follow!! It would be much appreciated!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!