Author Topic: Anti-Bucket List (Things You'll Never Do Again)  (Read 29244 times)

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
Anti-Bucket List (Things You'll Never Do Again)
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
What's on y'all's list of "Never Again"?

Mine...

Stay in a relationship for years after it is over. No kids involved or property to split up, so that was a long 3 years.

And a new one from last week. I try to taste everything I can... So, I tried it, and never again! "1000 year-old egg"  Terrible, terrible... Yuck.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anti-Bucket List (Things You'll Never Do Again)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
Durian.

I'm an extremely adventurous eater. As long as food is ripe, or well-prepared, I'm generally all for it.

I used to be married to a guy who had two Vietnamese adopted sisters. We were at the house of one of them one night, and they brought out a dessert that had ripe durian in it. I tried it. It was the foulest thing I'd ever tasted. Even the smell of it made me physically ill.

And on another occasion, I tried it again. Just to give it a fair shot.

Never again will durian pass my lips. In fact, I'll never again be in the same room with it, if I can help it.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »
Meat, dairy, eggs. Not worth it.

Take out student loans.

Rent a room (houseshare) from a stranger who also owns the residence. 0/10 would not recommend.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
And a new one from last week. I try to taste everything I can... So, I tried it, and never again! "1000 year-old egg"  Terrible, terrible... Yuck.

Not love, but I like 1000 year-old egg.

Durian.

I love Durian! Yes this can make people physically ill. I believe on some airlines, it is prohibited to bring this on-board.

I am all for trying anything at least once. My anti-bucket list is probably trying out the hottest chili in the world. I forget which one it was, but one of the top ranked one. I am convinced that you can use this to melt paint - not to mention my stomach lining :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
Probably get a tattoo. My first experience was not a good one, and it turns out I scar really badly (which, in retrospect, I should have realized).

Have my gallbladder removed--because you can't remove it twice!

Get metal braces.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:16:55 AM by Inaya »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
Go to a dance club.

Standing around a crowded room with terrible, far too loud music where you need to order lots of expensive drinks in the hopes that either drunken stumbling to the noise or the eventual sweet release of unconsciousness is the only chance you have of relieving the tedium . . . not really my idea of a good time.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
I will second dance clubs. I thought they were dumb when I was in my 20s, and now I'm definitely too old for that crap.

Also on the list, binge drinking. College-Me thought it was normal. Present-Me does not need a hangover. 1 beer, 2 beers, max. WTF was I thinking?

And, since food is popular: never will eat carrot-fennel soup ever again.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
Also on the list, binge drinking. College-Me thought it was normal. Present-Me does not need a hangover. 1 beer, 2 beers, max. WTF was I thinking?
Present-Me can get a hangover without drinking at all.

Also add me to the dance club never again list.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Be a walking ATM/maid for someone else.

All through law school I was supporting my then-boyfriend. While I had a full course-load plus a clerkship, he would work part time at a restaurant and use nearly his entire paycheck for weed. Rent was late every month, by almost a full month, and I constantly had to front him money. That he'd spend on weed. Never again. I date an adult now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »

All through law school I was supporting my then-boyfriend. While I had a full course-load plus a clerkship, he would work part time at a restaurant and use nearly his entire paycheck for weed. Rent was late every month, by almost a full month, and I constantly had to front him money. That he'd spend on weed. Never again. I date an adult now.

I often wonder what percentage of women have dated a version of that guy. I'll bet it's high.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
Durian.

I've had Durian twice. Once in a pastry. It was very ripe. The smell didn't bother me, and I liked it pretty good.

I also had it in shaved ice. That was excellent. There was chunks (Maybe slices?) On one side, and mango on the other, with a scope of mango ice cream. It was pretty awesome. The shaved ice was also interesting, very light. No ice crystals like in a snow cone...

Now, Stinky Tofu!! I didn't put it on the list... Because I will try it again. It was ok... But the smell.. I don't think I'll ever forget that smell!

Singapore metro No Durian sign attached :)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
Durian.

I've had Durian twice. Once in a pastry. It was very ripe. The smell didn't bother me, and I liked it pretty good.

I also had it in shaved ice. That was excellent. There was chunks (Maybe slices?) On one side, and mango on the other, with a scope of mango ice cream. It was pretty awesome. The shaved ice was also interesting, very light. No ice crystals like in a snow cone...

Now, Stinky Tofu!! I didn't put it on the list... Because I will try it again. It was ok... But the smell.. I don't think I'll ever forget that smell!

Singapore metro No Durian sign attached :)

Yeah, I have heard there are lots of places where it's banned, and for good damn reason.

Once a few years ago, my husband (who likes durian) bought some of those wafer cookies at an Asian market that were durian-flavored. He opened them in the car to have one on the way home. The smell made me so sick that we had to drive the rest of the way home with the windows open. In February. In Minnesota.

I was nauseated for the rest of the day. No exaggeration.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »

I often wonder what percentage of women have dated a version of that guy. I'll bet it's high.
I know a guy who is married to a version of that guy.  I mean, that's an overly harsh assessment - she's a nice person and all, but works irregularly + "$500 / month for weed in the household budget" for her.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »

I enjoy this too :)

Durian.

Mmmm...durian is soooooo good. Anything and everything durian-related is delicious to me. My kids absolutely hate it though haha. I remember one time my mother and I wanted to eat some at a roadside stall while on a road trip. We left the kids and DH in the car with the windows rolled up tight. Then begged a confused noodle vendor nearby to let us buy her spoons (to avoid any part of the durian touching our fingers). Then gorged ourselves silly. After carefully rinsing our mouths with salt water, we finally returned to the care. The lengths we will go for durian!

As for me, it's tattooing my eyebrows (aka permanent makeup). I paid for it, it was painful, and it faded in 1-2 years. I'll just keep filling them in with cheap (and pain free) makeup.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:38:32 AM by elaine amj »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »

Durian.

Mmmm...durian is soooooo good. Anything and everything durian-related is delicious to me. My kids absolutely hate it though haha. I remember one time my mother and I wanted to eat some at a roadside stall while on a road trip. We left the kids and DH in the car with the windows rolled up tight. Then begged a confused noodle vendor nearby to let us buy her spoons (to avoid any part of the durian touching our fingers). Then gorged ourselves silly. After carefully rinsing our mouths with salt water, we finally returned to the care. The lengths we will go for durian!

As for me, it's tattooing my eyebrows (aka permanent makeup). I paid for it, it was painful, and it faded in 1-2 years. I'll just keep filling them in with cheap (and pain free) makeup.

I've read that certain people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like dishsoap . . . and often wonder if there's something similar going on with Durian.  The smell of the stuff is incredibly bad to me . . . like wet rotting garbage simmering in the hot sun.  The taste is similar to but a bit more muted than the smell.  My wife loves the stuff.  :P

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »

Durian.

I've read that certain people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like dishsoap . . . and often wonder if there's something similar going on with Durian.  The smell of the stuff is incredibly bad to me . . . like wet rotting garbage simmering in the hot sun.  The taste is similar to but a bit more muted than the smell.  My wife loves the stuff.  :P

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. I mean, my dislike of durian goes beyond just, "I don't like peas." It's a physical reaction that's absolutely overwhelming. I've never experienced anything like it with any other food.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
Run a marathon.
I trained up right and loved it. Hundred of miles over many months. Longest training run was 22 miles. At the end of my training, a few days before the marathon, I was in the best shape of my life and never felt better.
The actual 26 mile run, pushing myself hard? Nightmare. Knees swelled to cantaloupes at mile 22. Finished with a rocking, hoppy gait. Felt like I had the flu for two weeks afterward.
I'm all for running for exercise and still do several miles three or four days a week, but there's just no reason to run 4+ hours straight. Yuck.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
For those that have eaten durian fruit, can you explain the flavor profile? Durian is high on my "foods to try" list.

Still trying to come up with an Anti-Bucket list. This is harder than I thought...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
For those that have eaten durian fruit, can you explain the flavor profile? Durian is high on my "foods to try" list.

You should probably amend that question to "those who have eaten and enjoyed" durian.

For someone like me, the only way I can describe it is, it tastes and smells like death. Like literally, decay, rot, the crypt. It's... incredibly nauseating. I've heard people say that it tastes and smells like a combination of rancid fried onions and old socks, but that's not even close to the horror of it.

My husband, who likes durian, says that it has the consistency of a creamy custard, but I have no idea what he thinks the flavor is like.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:37:03 AM by Kris »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »

Still trying to come up with an Anti-Bucket list. This is harder than I thought...

Buttery smooth texture.  Smells/tastes like a particularly rank dumpster on a hot day.  Notes of sulpher, rancid butter, rotting meat, and a soucon of fermented cabbage.  Mildly sweet.  Taste is muted version of smell.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »

You should probably amend that question to "those who have eaten and enjoyed" durian.

For someone like me, the only way I can describe it is, it tastes and smells like death. Like literally, decay, rot, the crypt. It's... incredibly nauseating. I've heard people say that it tastes like a combination of rancid fried onions and old socks, but that's not even close to the horror of it.

My husband, who likes durian, says that it has the consistency of a creamy custard, but I have no idea what he thinks the flavor is like.

Well, I'm interested in both sides so I can be prepared for when I am presented with the opportunity (misfortune?) to try it. :D

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
I will never buy a Volkswagen again. I had 3 different VW's through the years and each one was a maintenance nightmare. I would extend that to never buy another German car, but eh, we'll see about that one.

Dance clubs have never been my thing. Even when the music was good, it was ruined by a high cover and the simple fact that I do not like to dance. Never again and thankfully it has been that way for some time now.

Oh and Durian does stink! It was banned from our workplace lunchroom when some people had brought some, lol!

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »

For someone like me, the only way I can describe it is, it tastes and smells like death. Like literally, decay, rot, the crypt. It's... incredibly nauseating. I've heard people say that it tastes and smells like a combination of rancid fried onions and old socks, but that's not even close to the horror of it.

I tried it while we walked through a night market in Hong Kong.  Group bought a whole durian and cracked it open.  I recall the creamy texture as well, but the flavor doesn't stand out. It was a late night though, I remember it had a strong odor, but not overpowering to me.  Flavor was ok, but not something that I fell in love with. 

Hopefully an enthusiast can pipe in.  It was a meh, I did that experience for me.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
Rent a room (houseshare) from a stranger who also owns the residence. 0/10 would not recommend.

At least one of our forum members is giving someone an incredible experience of this! Actually, I too had several awesome experiences of this. You got a tough one for sure (I read your story), but I don't think it extends to all such situations.

Yeah, I'm sure it can go well, maybe even in the majority of cases. But I'm just not willing to take that risk again. People who own the place are always going to be particular about something because its theirs. I don't blame them either. It also doesn't help that I'm a high maintenance renter because I have two cats and a LOT of bulk food. Plus cooking for several hours on Sunday. I'd rather go into a place together with a friend (or even stranger) or rent my own place and look for a roommate later. I just found out I'd rather call the shots than to have someone think they can open my door when I'm sleeping or move my stuff like I'm a teenager, justifying it because it's their house. Ugh.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
Run a marathon.
I trained up right and loved it. Hundred of miles over many months. Longest training run was 22 miles. At the end of my training, a few days before the marathon, I was in the best shape of my life and never felt better.
The actual 26 mile run, pushing myself hard? Nightmare. Knees swelled to cantaloupes at mile 22. Finished with a rocking, hoppy gait. Felt like I had the flu for two weeks afterward.
I'm all for running for exercise and still do several miles three or four days a week, but there's just no reason to run 4+ hours straight. Yuck.

i feel the same way about century rides. i've done 5 and i've been miserable every time.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
Things I HOPE never to do again (life is long and there are few guarantees)
Dance clubs, Tabasco (tastes like its rotting), fake Wasabi (same problem), dating.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
Cut up several dozen habanero peppers without gloves to make hot sauce.  Also, go to the bathroom after cutting habanero peppers without gloves.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Cut up several dozen habanero peppers without gloves to make hot sauce.  Also, go to the bathroom after cutting habanero peppers without gloves.
I'd add not allowing your girlfriend to do the same right before coming to bed...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »
Similarly, not roast and peel 3 lbs of green chiles without gloves on. Chemical burns on your palms are no bueno.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
Scarification. Glad I did it, but never again.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »

Clever.  :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
Ferris Wheel rides. The last 2 times, I needed to be carried off or have my hands pried off the bar THEN carried off. Learned my lesson.

Think I'll pass on the durian though.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm never going sledding again.  Last time I went over a slight drop off, landed on my ass hard enough that I felt my spine compress, and had trouble walking for days.  I'm too old for that shit.

Looking forward to trying durian at some point though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
I'm never going sledding again.  Last time I went over a slight drop off, landed on my ass hard enough that I felt my spine compress, and had trouble walking for days.  I'm too old for that shit.

Similar vein . . . but has anyone else totally lost their ability to stomach roller coasters?  I used to love them as a kid, now they just make my tummy feel funny.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »

Similar vein . . . but has anyone else totally lost their ability to stomach roller coasters?  I used to love them as a kid, now they just make my tummy feel funny.

Dunno about roller coasters but I tried swinging at the park last week for the first time in years and it took me a while to get used to the sensation again. lol

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
My Mom lost her taste for most roller coasters and I'm right there with her. I black out on the more intense rides now....apparently 4Gs or so is when I start to lose eyesight.

surfhb

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
Smoking
Pay to get into Disneyland
Buy a New Vehicle
Golf

The list is endless

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »

I lost that ability when I was still pretty young.  One year at the county fair, I was on a ride called the Octopus.  Basically, it's just 8 cars that twirl around and go up and down as the spin around in a circle.  Well, I'm pretty sure that the ride operator decided to slip into a heroin induced coma when my turn came, as the ride went for what seemed like an hour.  (surely it was less, but it was way longer than the 3-5 minutes that these normally operate for)  Got off, puked for 10 minutes, and have never been able to handle the stomach drop feeling since.  Thanks Mr. Carnie!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »
Motion sickness is a strange mistress.  How many of you saw the Top Gear with the Top Gun instructor that lost his lunch while riding with the female german presenter?  I have seen other experienced pilots get sick over seemingly mundane things.  Roller-coasters never really did it for me; no real feeling of fear.  I know the structure will not fail so all I am left with is a mildly upset stomach and spinning head.  They can be kind of fun but not worth the effort.

As for things I wont do again: JetSki - was cool for like 10 minutes but it is a one trick pony. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
As for things I wont do again: JetSki - was cool for like 10 minutes but it is a one trick pony.

The trick is ruining the calm and quiet of every other person on the lake.  :P

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

The trick is ruining the calm and quiet of every other person on the lake.  :P

And more beer I would guess.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
One thing I won't do again is take a job that involves travel.   Love to travel for pleasure, hate it for business. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »

YEP! I assumed it had something to do with needing to lose some weight. Maybe its age too. I used to be a fan of the Zipper ride. Never - ever - again.

Also wiping out on a mtb or off road motorcycle hurts alot more than it used too as well. Will stick to my ebike and quieter places to ride.

Things that I won't ever do again: roommates. Or living with my parents.

Married with kids for a couple of decades this year. I'd sooner live in a very tiny place than jump in a time machine and have roommates or live with my parents again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:09:31 PM by Just Joe »

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
Hmmm. So fun!

1. Run a marathon is a good one. Four times was enough.

2. Car payments. But: duh.

3. Hire someone based on nothing but the fact they are a friend for anything that involves more than $200. I'm looking at you, stoner realtor friend.

4. Allow anybody to pressure me into something unethical or compromising.

5. Get sucked into an argument with my mother about parenting, politics, or religion: not worth the headache, just keeping nodding and smiling and saying uh huh.

6. Childbirth without an epidural.

7. Have a big, traditional wedding with all the trimmings. No regrets, but never again.

8. Bikram yoga. I couldn't stop laughing. Just can't take it seriously.

9. Surf in waves over 5' Hawaiian. I am a hazard to myself and others in such circumstances.

10. Yeah, rollercoasters. And skydiving. I had to lose my lunch several times before I learned, but I learned.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »

Probably the same percentage of men who have dated a version of the stereotypical high-maintenance, shopaholic bimbo who "can't" work or clean up around the apartment.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
Oh! Also:

11. Own a cat. Horrible allergies, even though I love cats.

12. Smoke. Sadly. I often want to, but was only able to quit 16 years ago because I vowed I'd never, ever smoke even one cigarette ever again. Most of the time I don't care, but sometimes I'll pass a smoker on the street and just...ahhhh....cigarette smoke...so wonderful...

13. Watch a movie or tv show that I know is going to haunt me and freak me out and keep me up at night. Nope. Won't do it.

14. Miss a big family event like a wedding, funeral, or reunion just because I don't want to spend the money on plane tickets. Life's too short and it's not like I have debt. Cheap is well and good for toilet paper and used cars, but not for family. Although I'd have to reconsider if the family reunion were at Disney or something. Yeesh. Disney.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
but sometimes I'll pass a smoker on the street and just...ahhhh....cigarette smoke...so wonderful...

I'll take "Things I Thought I'd Never Hear" for $200 please Alex

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Watch a rape scene in a movie.
Live with roommates.
Take a management job. 5 years as a punching bag was enough.
Attend a staff meeting at 6:45 AM.
Be trapped by a salesman when trying to buy a car (or indeed anything). Anyone pulls that control shit, I'm gone.
Dance club.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
- Fly commercial/airline, I'm so over the flying tin cattle cars
- Buy Apple, Dell, or AMD products, they've all let me down too many times
- Get another carburated motorcycle - I'll keep the one I have now as a project, but I'll never buy (or accept for free) another one, too much too persnickety for me

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
Cigarettes; tried as a dumb ass teenager, wisely said, yeah, nope.

Roller-coasters, I don't know. It's been a while, but it was not nearly as fun as used be is what I remember.

New vehicle, nope, never ever again. Only did that once with a car, once with a moto. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Might as well say never again to riding a moto. Fun times, but just not worth it, no way, no how.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!