Author Topic: America being dumbed down again...  (Read 1758 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
America being dumbed down again...
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »
This is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but disturbing none the less. An insecticide has been found in a popular diet drink. Oh wait no it hasn't....

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1532241002

LaCroix faces lawsuit for allegedly including cockroach insecticide in its sparkling water

"LaCroix in fact contains ingredients that have been identified by the Food and Drug Administration as synthetic,” the lawsuit obtained by CBS states. "These chemicals include limonene, which can cause kidney toxicity and tumors; linalool propionate, which is used to treat cancer; and linalool, which is used in cockroach insecticide."

Per Wikipedia:

Over 200 species of plants produce linalool, mainly from the families Lamiaceae (mint and other herbs), Lauraceae (laurels, cinnamon, rosewood), and Rutaceae (citrus fruits), but also birch trees and other plants, from tropical to boreal climate zones, including fungi.[3]

If my brain hadn't had come across this fact before reading this article I feel I very well might have lost a few tenths of a point off my IQ.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:05:03 PM by Johnez »

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: America being dumbed down again...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
These reports never take into account the quantity of the chemical in question.  The dose makes the poison.

I always take these breathless reports about "chemicals" in our food with a grain of sodium chloride and wash it down with a glass of dihydrogen monoxide, both of which can be toxic and are often used in industrial chemicals and pesticides.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
These reports never take into account the quantity of the chemical in question.  The dose makes the poison.

I always take these breathless reports about "chemicals" in our food with a grain of sodium chloride and wash it down with a glass of dihydrogen monoxide, both of which can be toxic and are often used in industrial chemicals and pesticides.

Extremely well put, thank you.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
Some tonic water has anti-malarial chemicals in it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
Some tonic water has anti-malarial chemicals in it!

Frankly, I'd be suspicious of any 'tonic water' without a healthy dose of quinine.  :P

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
Unfortunately, some people have made a career of making people stupider. Remember when Subway was making bread out of yoga mats?

https://foodbabe.com/subway/

Yeah, that stuff is harmless. And yet she and her hordes were able to get lots of producers to change their ingredients to pacify the stupid.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/03/06/286886095/almost-500-foods-contain-the-yoga-mat-compound-should-we-care-keep

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
The headline I saw specifically said something like "using chemicals used in pesticide." I assumed they meant H2O and didn't read.
"