Author Topic: Amazon to open 'HQ2' in North America  (Read 23961 times)

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Amazon to open 'HQ2' in North America
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2017, 08:02:17 AM »
I was starting to wonder if I might be alone in thinking that Boston was one of the best spots for Amazon. The WSJ just submitted their analysis, with the following rankings:

1. Dallas
2. Boston
3. DC / Atlanta
5. Chicago
6. Denver
7. New York / Nashville
9. Austin
10. Minneapolis
11. Newark

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/amazon-headquarters/
(^ you might need a subscription)

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
My money would be on Northern Virginia towards Dulles or in Baltimore city if they want a more urban setting. But if it’s not in the DC-Balt region, then in the greater Boston area. Denver is a long shot, IMO, just based on geography.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
Well, doesn't look they will be coming to SC anytime soon.
https://www.fitsnews.com/2017/12/07/south-carolinas-amazon-fight/

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »
The supplication of cities before Amazon is truly pathetic. I can't even grasp why garbage towns like Fresno even bothered with the cost of postage to mail the proposal to Seattle. If I was a mayor, I know what I would send to Bezos in place of a giant cactus.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »
Seriously, how mad would you be if you had a business that wasn't getting any special tax breaks and seeing what your city was willing to give away. I am glad every town in SC now knows it won't be coming here, just so the grovelling will stop.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
Seriously, how mad would you be if you had a business that wasn't getting any special tax breaks and seeing what your city was willing to give away. I am glad every town in SC now knows it won't be coming here, just so the grovelling will stop.

Here is an Iowa business that responded to that basic premise.
https://www.raygunsite.com/blogs/news/breaking-news-raygun-is-moving-to-mexico-or-canada-or-shit-maybe-just-colorado-really-well-move-wherever-were-paid-the-most

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
Same shit, new day. Look at how much these assholes in charge give to sports teams. John Oliver has a piece on that too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

It's amazing to me how there is such a giant non-debate whenever using public money that comes up.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:12 AM »

Here is an Iowa business that responded to that basic premise.
https://www.raygunsite.com/blogs/news/breaking-news-raygun-is-moving-to-mexico-or-canada-or-shit-maybe-just-colorado-really-well-move-wherever-were-paid-the-most
I like their shirt store.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
I feel sorry for whichever city "wins" this bid.

An economically disadvantaged city like Cleveland will become a de facto vassal state of Bezos. Even a big city like Atlanta will have to kowtow to their whims.

Engineer93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »
I am running an office pool.

I voted Newark, Atlanta, and Philly.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
Raleigh or Denver.  Book it!

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
Blech, I don't care anymore.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »
I am pulling for my home city (NYC). I would love to work there when my pension kicks in

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
Nashville - the river north project is 100 acres +/- 0.5 miles from downtown.  It checks almost all of the boxes with the added bonus of no state income tax.  We are in the planning stages of a regional transit plan that Amazon could help develop with their investment dollars (designed precisely how they want it).  I think it is between Nashville and Austin, personally.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
I didn't think DC was really in the running but 3 of the 20 are basically the same thing- Northern Virginia, DC and Montgomery County, MD. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
Well, my pick (Minneapolis/St. Paul) didn't make the final list, so I am clearly not much of a prognosticator.

That said, I think it will be Dallas, Denver or Atlanta.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »
DC looks like more of a focus than I expected. Other than that, I think Boston, Philidelphia, Chicago, and Los Angeles are serious candidates. I don't believe in Texas. Top picks are Atlanta and Toronto.

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
you guys really don't think the new federal cap on SALT deductions will push this to a state with no income tax?  Washington is already kicking around the idea of a state income tax, so the top brass will want an office to "work from" to reduce their tax obligations?  Texas/Tennessee/Florida(but will Amazon risk Hurricanes and business disruption in Miami?) are the top of the list in my mind.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »
you guys really don't think the new federal cap on SALT deductions will push this to a state with no income tax? 

In short--nah. They're looking way bigger picture.  They might end up in those locales, but I imagine what will be most important is tax incentives to the business, accessibility, and desirability of the location for the talent they want.  The tax savings to individuals will probably be a minor consideration, if at all.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
This whole inter-city death match is sad. 

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2018, 08:50:35 AM »
This whole inter-city death match is sad.

Reminds me of ReasonTV's take on the competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eG7leM6ew

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
If I lived in one of those cities I don't know if I would be excited for the potential city prosperity or scared to death than the city would become unlivable due to increased traffic, increased property values (taxes), or b/c my city/state gov't gave away so many tax credits.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
If I lived in one of those cities I don't know if I would be excited for the potential city prosperity or scared to death than the city would become unlivable due to increased traffic, increased property values (taxes), or b/c my city/state gov't gave away so many tax credits.

Oh, dude, bring it to Chicago. No problem. It's still going to be a net tax revenue generator and every penny counts. It won't really solve the poverty plaguing a lot of the city and some of the poor suburbs, but hopefully it is a push in the right direction.

We build a lot here, so I am less concerned about property value and rent increases.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
Nashville - the river north project is 100 acres +/- 0.5 miles from downtown.  It checks almost all of the boxes with the added bonus of no state income tax.  We are in the planning stages of a regional transit plan that Amazon could help develop with their investment dollars (designed precisely how they want it).  I think it is between Nashville and Austin, personally.

I thought Nashville was already out of the running.  Not sure where I heard that.  But our traffic is already so awful, and housing prices have been climbing the last 5 years or so.  Hate to think what Amazon would do to those.  And there has been so much pushback to Mayor Berry's transit plans.  Wonder if Amazon coming would make people more open to that.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »

I think, for my family, having Amazon build their HQ2 here would push us off the fence of gradual QOL decline (gridlock, inadequate infrastructure, high costs, etc.) and either catapult our comfort level up through increased prosperity, or push us out of the city because we haven't seen enough wealth increase to outpace the additional costs and scarcity HQ2 has brought.

I'm pretty sure I'll never find out, though, as the chances of Amazon picking Toronto seem extremely low.  At least the slide into unlivability is predictable.

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »

I thought Nashville was already out of the running.  Not sure where I heard that.  But our traffic is already so awful, and housing prices have been climbing the last 5 years or so.  Hate to think what Amazon would do to those.  And there has been so much pushback to Mayor Berry's transit plans.  Wonder if Amazon coming would make people more open to that.

We made the first cut, from 280+/- to 20 contenders.  Having lived in places with really bad traffic (e.g., Miami), we have a long way to go before it gets actually awful (as opposed to more difficult than it was 10 years ago and mostly only in the morning and evenings during rush hour).

I am torn on the transit plan because of the cost but do think of it as a positive to Amazon as they could help design it around their campus and maybe contribute as part of their large investment budget ($5B).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!