Author Topic: Always wanted a son but only had daughters (and vice versa). Feelings fade?  (Read 11902 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Always wanted a son but only had daughters (and vice versa). Feelings fade?
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
I have 2 girls and it's certainly been nice for the reasons you mention, shelives.  Definitely mustachian being able to hand down clothes and the girls are really happy in their bunk bed at 7 and 10.
We have a 2BR house.  When we went in for the ultrasound for baby #2 I was whispering "please another boy please another boy".

Whew

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2018, 07:15:55 AM »
This is how I ended up with three boys. When the third time wasn't the charm, after the hormone-charged disappointment, I decided I was done. Money-wise we didn't have to spend a lot on clothing. The youngest is now 21 and I consider myself a fortunate mom.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
When I married my husband, he came equipped with an 8 year old daughter and what amounted to full custody. I was thrilled to have this sweet little girl in my life. Not long after our wedding, I became pregnant and did hope for a boy. I'm from a family of all girls, and my sisters had daughters so I thought it would be a welcome change. And it was, my beautiful baby boy. We felt the size of our family was complete, but an oops  pregnancy occurred a few years later. A baby girl. My husband died the following year and I bought a 3 bedroom house in my addled state, thinking it would be plenty big enough. And it well should have been, but I shared a bedroom with the baby who became a toddler and I wanted some alone space. There should have been a good sharing solution amongst the kids, but toddler daughter/teenaged daughter, no. Toddler daughter/8 year old son, no. So I annexed the master bedroom which worked well and in the tradition of Virginia Woolf I had a room of one's own, we all did. Never a lot of hand me down or shared clothes but lots of stuff gifted from others and passed along to others.

Likes others I do think overall we get what we get. There are simplicities with all single-sex. It's entertaining to have a mix.  The very tired mother of a friend of my youngest daughter had 4 girls and the husband kept wanting a boy to do "boy things" with: hunting, fishing, trucks, sports and other butch things. She did have a boy at age 40ish and guess what: their now 8 year old son has very little interest in "boy things", preferring nature, reading and singing in a band he's created with a group of kids. Trying to imprint your kids' interests with your own seems like a bad idea.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
My brother never wanted to do man things with my dad but I did.  You just never know.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
For me, yes, the feeling of wanting a daughter has diminished.

I have 2 sons. Both times I wanted a girl, both times I think I knew it would be a boy even before I found out. There was a pang. When I got pregnant again after my second child and then quickly miscarried, it seemed like EVERYBODY in my FB feed had 2 boys and a baby girl and I was so jealous and sad. Specifically about the girl thing.

Now... I am divorced and remarried and that third baby is on the table again after all, and I don't care anymore. I would love a baby girl or a third boy or, hell, I would be happy to have TWIN boys.

So, sure, for some people the feelings can indeed evolve and change over time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!