Author Topic: AlphaZero beats Stockfish  (Read 2974 times)

FI40

• Stubble
AlphaZero beats Stockfish
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Anybody interested in chess or AI? This piece of news is about a week old, if this has been discussed already on the forums please point me to it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-took-4-hours-google-s-ai-world-s-best-chess-player-deepmind-alphazero

It's blowing the minds of grandmasters, but to the DeepMind people it almost seems to me like they consider it a formality or a PR stunt. Amazing.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Re: AlphaZero beats Stockfish
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Yes.  Definitely intriguing.  Wondering what happens next.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
It's interesting for chess because it plays more like Tal and less like Karpov.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:14 AM »
They mentioned the program facing off against humans in a game of Go earlier this year. (I remember that story)

It really is quite spooky how fast technology is moving.

Deep down we all know one day that AI will fuck us and take over the world, and yet we persist in still trying to make it happen...   :/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:32:03 AM by marty998 »

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »
Deep down we all know one day that AI will fuck us and take over the world, and yet we persist in still trying to make it happen...   :/

Could be awesome if AI took over the world and kept us as pampered pets.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »

Could be awesome if AI took over the world and kept us as pampered pets.
Or turned us into paperclips.

I read some criticism of the match since a weaker version of Stockfish was used and the time control was strange (1 minute per move instead of a maximum for the entire game?). Still, the praise from even some top level GMs suggests there is something to its positional style of play to take note of.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »

My own view is that AI is definitely going to take over the world. It's likely to do so in my lifetime. Whether it'll fuck those of us who have managed to save enough that we and our descendants (if any) don't need to work, depends on whether taking over looks like doing everything humans used to do far better than humans can, or actively seizing control and rewriting the rules of the game (turning humans into controlled pets, or euthanizing us for your own good, or feeding us into a run away paperclip factory).

I tend to think the first is more likely than the second, but *shrug*.

Alternatively, you can speculate that all the AI researchers at google are motivated by some version of Roko's Basilisk: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

My own view is that AI is definitely going to take over the world. It's likely to do so in my lifetime. Whether it'll fuck those of us who have managed to save enough that we and our descendants (if any) don't need to work, depends on whether taking over looks like doing everything humans used to do far better than humans can, or actively seizing control and rewriting the rules of the game (turning humans into controlled pets, or euthanizing us for your own good, or feeding us into a run away paperclip factory).

I tend to think the first is more likely than the second, but *shrug*.

Alternatively, you can speculate that all the AI researchers at google are motivated by some version of Roko's Basilisk: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html
The basalisk is cruel to bring up but "Kurzweil is chugging 150 vitamins a day to stay alive until the singularity" seems to ignore the science(?) suggesting that vitamins are bad for you. Aren't vitamins supplements bad--last I heard they were except maybe D which is benign.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »
There was a study a while back that showed that seniors who took more vitamin supplements tended to die a little earlier than those who didn't. At the time it wasn't clear if this meant the vitamins were bad for you or that seniors who had more reason to be worried about their health were both more likely to make supplements and more like to have a good reason to be worried about their health.

I haven't seen anything with a more direct link to either positive or negative health consequences, but that doesn't mean such a study hasn't come out.

People do a lot of irrational things when they're worried about growing old. Another is the growing interest by people like Peter Thiel in parabiosis. In California you can now pay $8,000 to receive transfusions of blood from under 25 year olds in the hopes of delaying or reversing the aging process. (I know this sounds like a ridiculous claim so here's a reputable source to back it up, search the article for the name "Ambrosia" https://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21724967-might-be-true-people-too-blood-young-animals-can-revitalise-old )

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
Thanks, wasn't sure where things were falling out regarding vitamins beyond looking at this years ago. Looks like the data are still mixed but there is moderate evidence for certain vitamins being beneficial for certain conditions. Interesting how much is useless and/or harmful in the chart (good thing I take reasonable amounts of the #2 item: coffee!).

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:56 AM »
Roku's Basilisk-wow. We as people just can't seem to move past Gods and their punishment/reward system. I'm sure AI that powerful will mind any random human as much as we pay mind an ant in a hole in the ground: none. Beside, have the weirdos panicking about the situation realized all action is predetermined? And they are in fact simply playing their role-good or bad? And they can't alter what's already set in motion? They're fate is already determined. If there is such a fate to begin with!

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
Roku's Basilisk-wow. We as people just can't seem to move past Gods and their punishment/reward system. I'm sure AI that powerful will mind any random human as much as we pay mind an ant in a hole in the ground: none. Beside, have the weirdos panicking about the situation realized all action is predetermined? And they are in fact simply playing their role-good or bad? And they can't alter what's already set in motion? They're fate is already determined. If there is such a fate to begin with!
Calvinism 2: Judgement Day

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!