Author Topic: Alarming Stats on STD's among U.S. population  (Read 5906 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Alarming Stats on STD's among U.S. population
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:50:57 AM »
As a newly available male on the dating scene, I fear STD's.  Even condoms don't protect against some STD's, apparently. 

Google std rate and you find all sorts of insane reports, like 100 million U.S. citizens currently have an STD.  How can that be possible?

Whenever I see a female I'm interested in, I immediately wonder if she has an STD.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Alarming Stats on STD's among U.S. population
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:42:19 AM »
I'm not sure if you are newly available because of a break up or because you are young. If you are young and have not had the HPV vaccination, then look into getting it. That is by far the most prevalent STD.

Beyond that, plain old common sense is likely your best ally. Use a condom, avoid drunken one night stands, etc. You can also ask about health issues once you get serious about someone and they will likely answer honestly. If you have a minor health issue of your own to reveal, you can lead with that. Like "I have low blood pressure and get dizzy sometimes if I stand up too fast after sitting a long time. On time at camp as a kid I even kind of passed out when I jumped up for archery! So embarrassing! Other than that I'm a healthy lad. How about you? Anything I should know about?"

You can't let worrying about something like this ruin your fun . . . just be sensible. Latex lovers live longer and all that.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
Always use a glove. Always. Unless you and your partner are actively trying to get pregnant, just use the rubber.

If you're not comfortable asking a new partner if they're clean, you probably shouldn't be having sex with them. I've asked this with one night stands/hook ups before. Sure, the thought of not having sexy times is a bummer, but the thought of picking something up is even worse.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
I am available as a single due to breakup. I was with the ex-gf for 20 years and monogamous, so no std worries then. Back in college I got an std from my very promiscuous gf at the time, which was cured with antibiotics, but left me with less bladder capacity, forever.  Who knew?   

I read that a lot of std's aren't prevented by condoms, such as   HPV (human papillomavirus), genital herpes, and even syphilis.

I don't want to get any vaccination, that's for sure.

I know, I can't be a monk (well, maybe)  but it shouldn't be this scary to have sex with a new woman.

I just can't believe 100 million people in the U.S. currently have an STD. Does anyone believe that?     

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

To be fair, I'm not sure how useful in adults (I know it's geared towards younger teenagers... I got it when I was 17 when it was new-ish and I know that's considered "old" to get it), but why?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »

To be fair, I'm not sure how useful in adults (I know it's geared towards younger teenagers... I got it when I was 17 when it was new-ish and I know that's considered "old" to get it), but why?

Not sure, but I assume they're assuming that people have already been exposed by then, so you'v missed the boat.

OP - anyone you want to sleep with, either ask if they're clean, or ask if they're willing to be tested. Be willing yourself! Awkward conversation, but still important.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:45:08 AM »
I just don't trust vaccines, not the ones like flu vaccine, etc. May do more harm than good, IMO. 

As far as getting tested  *before* the fun, that would be impossible for a one night stand situation, unfortunately. I'll just have to use my judgment, I guess. Haven't had that situation anyway, yet. Actually, now that I think about it, at one time you could get a card from the free clinic stating the results of your latest test, along with the date, am I right? 

Long time ago I met a cute younger woman and asked her out. She was the one who mentioned testing first, which was actually a relief for me. We ended up getting physical anyway, without the testing! Used a condom always. No std's from her.   

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
I just don't trust vaccines, not the ones like flu vaccine, etc. May do more harm than good, IMO.

I won't turn this into an antivaxxer post, but science > opinion. In areas that have seen high immunization rates, the amount of HPV infections have fallen drastically, some areas fell by up to 90%. HPV can lead to all sorts of cancers (70% of cervical cancer stems from HPV, but it can also lead to throat/mouth, vulva, penile and anal to name a few - all sorts of sexytime places).

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0619-hpv-vaccinations.html
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-hpv-vaccine-has-halved-cervical-cancer-rates-in-the-past-10-years
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/22/health/hpv-vaccine-teen-girls-effective/index.html

Apparently it's not recommended for men above the age of 21. But please do some research before deciding you don't trust something that's medically and scientifically backed.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
Rather than rely on Dr. Google and the terror that lies therein, you may want to take a look at the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/std/stats/default.htm

Are STDs underreported? Yes.
Are reported numbers at record highs? Yes.

Ask and cover up. ;)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »
So, summing up and evaluating the information here:

1) You want to have one night stands
2) You are afraid of STDs that could get through condoms
3) You're uncomfortable and/or you think it's impractical to ask for someone to get tested before you have sex with them

These three things do not go together.

Maybe don't have one night stands?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
Trolls will troll.

Thanks for the entertainment. 

In the rare case you are being serious, life always finds an opportunity.  So yeah, I buy that there are 100 million people with STDs because people will always have sex and there is viable way for a virus to find a new host.  And no matter what people will do to combat STDs the viruses will adapt to defeat it.  Because natural selection.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
Advertising and the media tell us that men only have value if they have sex with lots of women. They also tell women that they aren't strong, adventurous, and free unless they are having sex with lots of men. I'm pretty sure that's why the STD rate has gotten so bad over the past couple of decades.

My Solution: Block all your ads on the internet (including YouTube), stop watching ads on TV by using a DVR, switch from advertiser-supported radio to commercial-free satellite radio, stop reading magazines, etc. until almost all advertising is removed from your life. Not only will you save a lot of money by cutting your advertising-fueled spending, you will also feel a lot better about yourself.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »

I wouldn't lead with that if you're trying to find a date.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
My Solution: Block all your ads on the internet (including YouTube), stop watching ads on TV by using a DVR, switch from advertiser-supported radio to commercial-free satellite radio, stop reading magazines, etc. until almost all advertising is removed from your life. Not only will you save a lot of money by cutting your advertising-fueled spending, you will also feel a lot better about yourself.

You are a very wise man.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
As a newly available male on the dating scene, I fear STD's.  Even condoms don't protect against some STD's, apparently. 

Google std rate and you find all sorts of insane reports, like 100 million U.S. citizens currently have an STD.  How can that be possible?

Whenever I see a female I'm interested in, I immediately wonder if she has an STD.

Get to know your partner before sex and this whole concern/issue goes away.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
I favor home remedies too.

To protect from STDs, I make a mixture of white vinegar, bleach, and Sriracha sauce. Microwave before applying to your penis, preferably 15 to 30 minutes before coital activity.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/aU4VcOQzQm0

Seriously though, if you and your perspective partner are tested beforehand, you'll know how best to prevent anything the other might have. Condoms and dental dam are also helpful, especially if partner s are not tested beforehand.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 11:07:33 PM »
I am available as a single due to breakup. I was with the ex-gf for 20 years and monogamous, so no std worries then. Back in college I got an std from my very promiscuous gf at the time, which was cured with antibiotics, but left me with less bladder capacity, forever.  Who knew?   

I read that a lot of std's aren't prevented by condoms, such as   HPV (human papillomavirus), genital herpes, and even syphilis.

I know, I can't be a monk (well, maybe)  but it shouldn't be this scary to have sex with a new woman.

I just can't believe 100 million people in the U.S. currently have an STD. Does anyone believe that?     

I believe that if you follow the links they'll explain that if you've ever had a cold sore, you ALREADY have an STD.  So yes.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 05:52:48 AM »
Asking people if they are "clean" and using their answer to determine whether or not to have unprotected sex sounds like a sure fire way to get STDs to me.

Surprisingly, people who want to get into your pants just might lie about this. Then there is the fact that they may not actually know if they have one or more STDs.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
I have a family member who works labor and delivery. She sees all the patient's charts, histories, etc. We live in a very conservative area. I told her I was looking for someone in their 30s without kids and STD free. She told me "good fucking luck". The 30-39 age group for women has an HSV2 infection rate of 25%. Males are slightly lower due to the higher difficulty of female->male transmission. I also have a close friend who is a pharmacist. She says the big herpes antiviral is one of their "fast movers". They keep those well stocked and ready to go. She says similar things about how shockingly prevalent STDs are.

The prevalence for  HPV ages 18-49 is almost 45% for men and 40% for women. High-risk HPV accounts for about 60% of those cases. Even people with a single lifetime sex partner have an infection HSV2 infection rate of 5% per the CDC.

Condoms don't protect against either. As an atheist, it's starting to dawn on me that maybe the bible thumpers weren't wrong about everything. I'm growing much more conservative the older I get and the more I learn and the more damage I see being done to my friend's lives by poor life decisions.

If you are young and reading this, don't damage your body with seemingly fun youthful indiscretions. Herpes and a kid make you about a million times less desirable on the secondary market.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
If you are young and reading this, don't damage your body with seemingly fun youthful indiscretions. Herpes and a kid make you about a million times less desirable on the secondary market.
Totally stealing this phrase.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
Totally stealing this phrase.
I've been spending too much time at the bond desk over at my brokerage lately :) EDIT: Holy shit, could I start referring to certain unlikely-to-survive second marraiges as "junk bonds"? Just thinking out loud here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:47:11 PM by acanthurus »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
Asking people if they are "clean" and using their answer to determine whether or not to have unprotected sex sounds like a sure fire way to get STDs to me.

Surprisingly, people who want to get into your pants just might lie about this. Then there is the fact that they may not actually know if they have one or more STDs.

Ya no kidding. I've had guys swear to me they were clean, and then tell me they have never actually been tested. They 'just know', wtf! Yeah buddy, I'm going to trust your head buried in the sand attitude.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:02 AM »
I think part of the reason stats are so high is because tons of people have HPV and have no idea. Because they don't test for it in men, and they only test for it in women if something looks funky during your annual. It's so prevalent that by the time you're an adult, they assume you already have it, so they don't even offer you the vaccine anymore.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 07:39:39 AM »
I think part of the reason stats are so high is because nearly half the population has HPV (and many have no idea). Because they don't test for it in men, and they only test for it in women if something looks funky during your annual. It's so prevalent that by the time you're an adult, they assume you already have it, so they don't even offer you the vaccine anymore.