Author Topic: NEW 2 year on off relationship - starts Pg 21. Issues with trust/attachment.  (Read 135823 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
I’m gonna take this from a different angle.

I love my husband. I love him so much that it is hard for me to imagine how my body would ever find the strength to draw another breath if he died. The happiness I get from our relationship is something I find impossible to describe.

We have other couple friends who I think feel similarly about each other.

Is this how you feel about your friend?

It doesn’t seem like you do.

Finding a partner that lights up your world is one of the greatest joys of a human life.

Don’t take away your friend’s and your chance at a real relationship.

Yeah I mean I enjoy our time together but nothing really makes me over the moon happy; I'm not depressed or such but I just don't get excited about things. Holidays seem like a hassle, most things I do for fun are because I enjoy the activity but it's not necessarily happy endorphins flying off the handle. Stuff like my birthday I'd rather ignore because I don't want to ask for things from people. It's difficult to find happiness working towards a future that you don't know where you want to end up/what you want/etc. I think the closest I am to a goal is finding out what my goal is;.

You are definitely, definitely not in the right relationship, my friend.

You only go around once. Life is too short to spend it like this.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Anyways I'm thinking of putting my 2 weeks in next week. This job makes way too much sense not to take.

Congrats! It really sounds like the universe has given you a great gift with this job offer. A little time and distance will give you both a lot more clarity.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Wait to put in your two weeks until you have a job offer in writing.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
She's definitely told me she's stressed as it feels like her life is a result of my choices going forward.
That is complete and utter bullshit.

Well consider. If I move I sell the house. She lives in the house. Even if we were set on being married in x amount of time etc etc-I can see how a place she's made a home and become attatched to being discarded would be unsettling.
She should have never "made a home" or become attached to a place for which she was not contributing.
You aren't married. She wasn't paying half the bills (was she?). Hell, she wasn't even sleeping with you.

This relationship is very bad. Run.

The old-fashioned rule is: don't live together if you're not married. It prevents a lot of this stress and pressure.

Added: and don't buy pets together.   I think it makes sense for you to buy out her share of the dogs and for you to keep them, not for her to 'give' them to you.  If she needs to rent a place, finding a rental that takes 2 dogs and paying extra pet rent is a PITA, so you keeping them and caring for them is a favor to her.

Realistically I could pay her a future "dog maintenance" fee or I could buy them out. The younger one needs another dog; the older one is a fine solo dog. She would have family to move in with and her mother may allow one dog to stay. Haven't seriously discussed it yet. I wouldn't want to keep them from her-We're both overly obsessed with them.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

I can call the hiring manager again this weekend (buddies dad). This position isn't externally advertised to my knowledge so he may have to draft or have a contract offer drafted up next week.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
This this this!!!! Do not do anything until you have a signed offer in writing.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

It's sound advice. I know I have the offer given my relationship with the family and his position, but don't believe it until you see it!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache

I love my husband. I love him so much that it is hard for me to imagine how my body would ever find the strength to draw another breath if he died. The happiness I get from our relationship is something I find impossible to describe.

Finding a partner that lights up your world is one of the greatest joys of a human life.

Yeah I mean I enjoy our time together but nothing really makes me over the moon happy; I'm not depressed or such but I just don't get excited about things. Holidays seem like a hassle, most things I do for fun are because I enjoy the activity but it's not necessarily happy endorphins flying off the handle. Stuff like my birthday I'd rather ignore because I don't want to ask for things from people. It's difficult to find happiness working towards a future that you don't know where you want to end up/what you want/etc. I think the closest I am to a goal is finding out what my goal is;.
I wonder if you may have some situational low grade depression going on? You may move on from this step in life and find that a fig is lifted that you hadn’t even realized was there.

When I think back on my early 20s my memories are so much the excitement of that time, the giddiness of new love with my boyfriend (now husband), the exploration and play and goofiness.

It wasn’t all perfect. School kicked my butt and the transition to a full-time career was hard. Our relationship had bumps in the road. Overall it was such a fun time of life though. I think you deserve the same carefree fun.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:35:01 AM by ysette9 »

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

I wonder if you may have some situational low grade depression going on? You may move on from this step in life and find that a fig is lifted that you hadn’t even realized was there.

When I think back on my early 20s my memories are so much the excitement of that time, the giddiness of new love with my boyfriend (now husband), the exploration and play and goofiness.

It wasn’t all perfect. School kicked my butt and the transition to a full-time career was hard. Our relationship had bumps in the road. Overall it was such a fun time of lie though. I think you deserve the same carefree fun.

I haven't felt carefree for years. I mean the house was a lot. I was 22/23 and I had basically made enough at the time off a side hustle that involved some stressful situations (visiting pawnshops in the ghetto/situational robberies and such). I figured sure-why not buy a house. It drove me to take the job more seriously and make it work. That's what led me to frugality/financial independence is not wanting to depend on others when a $1000 car bill hits or a such; wanting to be successful enough while financing my own ambitions and such. Somewhere in between I got so caught up in the finances that I ignored my own wants; like all that stuff can wait until I hit my version of FIRE (ideally enough a month just to supplement a free work for myself pursue everything schedule). School sucked but I finished it just to say I did-kind of like a "oh maybe after this my life will magically arrange". When I applied myself it was fine-murdered all the final year of classes in a good way-but the actual motivation was never there.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
I disagree with Kbecks advice about not living together. If I had lived with my first 2 husbands I never would have married them. I lived with my third for years before marriage.  Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you can live with them. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
I disagree with Kbecks advice about not living together. If I had lived with my first 2 husbands I never would have married them. I lived with my third for years before marriage.  Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you can live with them.

Living with someone definitely does make breaking up with them harder, though. Breaking leases/dividing up stuff/drastic financial changes, etc. Those hurdles certainly make certain people stay in bad relationships longer than they should. OP is a case in point, for sure.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
OP, it sounds like you jumped into adult responsibilities way too young. Being a single man in a new city could be just the ticket to help you get some fun back in your life.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
OP, it sounds like you jumped into adult responsibilities way too young. Being a single man in a new city could be just the ticket to help you get some fun back in your life.
I completely agree with this. I think some time as a single man, renting, without responsibilities outside of going to work everyday would be wonderful for OP’s soul. Go party (in whatever form “partying” takes). An ill-conceived camping trip or skinny dipping or getting drunk or doing some international travel or trying totally new cuisines or a one-night stand or or or.... go live!

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

Lol I mean I left for the army the week after high school ended. To my credit being independent always seemed like the goal and is very much my driving factor so circumstantially-it's worked out to allow me to focus on that a bit.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward

It's sound advice. I know I have the offer given my relationship with the family and his position, but don't believe it until you see it!

Asking for salary/start date in writing mean there won't be any awkward surprises plus apartments will use the offer as verification of income before renting.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

Living with someone definitely does make breaking up with them harder, though. Breaking leases/dividing up stuff/drastic financial changes, etc. Those hurdles certainly make certain people stay in bad relationships longer than they should. OP is a case in point, for sure.

To elaborate-

If you live with someone it's your home too. If you sell the house-they have to move as well. All the decoration/ideas/furniture they purchased or thoughtfully designed/the memories they have-well that's in the past. It's emotionally tying and some people view a house as a lot more than a dwelling. Personally I could live in a converted travel van but to each their own.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

Asking for salary/start date in writing mean there won't be any awkward surprises plus apartments will use the offer as verification of income before renting.

From my understanding, the start would be mainly remote at first/flexible until I could orchestrate the move. The plus of knowing the family is they have room for me at their house (their son is my friend and still lives with them) or a company apartment available. I've lived with the family for a summer before and we have a good dynamic.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache

It wasn’t all perfect. School kicked my butt and the transition to a full-time career was hard. Our relationship had bumps in the road. Overall it was such a fun time of lie though. I think you deserve the same carefree fun.

I haven't felt carefree for years. I mean the house was a lot. I was 22/23 and I had basically made enough at the time off a side hustle that involved some stressful situations (visiting pawnshops in the ghetto/situational robberies and such). I figured sure-why not buy a house. It drove me to take the job more seriously and make it work. That's what led me to frugality/financial independence is not wanting to depend on others when a $1000 car bill hits or a such; wanting to be successful enough while financing my own ambitions and such. Somewhere in between I got so caught up in the finances that I ignored my own wants; like all that stuff can wait until I hit my version of FIRE (ideally enough a month just to supplement a free work for myself pursue everything schedule). School sucked but I finished it just to say I did-kind of like a "oh maybe after this my life will magically arrange". When I applied myself it was fine-murdered all the final year of classes in a good way-but the actual motivation was never there.

I really think some travel could really help you. It sounds like you settled down into suburban life way too soon without giving yourself the opportunity to see what else is out there. You just did what you knew, what you thought you were supposed to do. There are so many other ways to live life. Some people never marry, never buy a house. Some live in big cities. Some in a Yurt in the wilderness. Some travel picking up work where they can. You need to figure out what makes you happy.

And for goodness sakes, have sex. It really is part of being happy.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache

To elaborate-

If you live with someone it's your home too. If you sell the house-they have to move as well. All the decoration/ideas/furniture they purchased or thoughtfully designed/the memories they have-well that's in the past. It's emotionally tying and some people view a house as a lot more than a dwelling. Personally I could live in a converted travel van but to each their own.
To a certain extent I agree with you. But I think we can all see that there is a difference in the level of “home” between someone renting a room with a bunch of random housemates and, say, finding a new apartment with a SO that you split together and choose furniture together and whatnot. I’m her case she is much closer to the first scenario than the latter, the difference being that she wasn’t even paying rent, so you could argue that her hold on the “home” was even more tenuous.

Anyway, it is neither here nor there. You give notice, she moves, you sell, life goes on. You are being more than considerate to her feelings.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
From my understanding, the start would be mainly remote at first/flexible until I could orchestrate the move. The plus of knowing the family is they have room for me at their house (their son is my friend and still lives with them) or a company apartment available. I've lived with the family for a summer before and we have a good dynamic.

This all sounds really, really positive. Very exciting for you!

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
Please please go! Stay with your friends, because you are used to day to day companionship. But as you embrace your new life, start planning for more independence. The world is so full of opportunity and waiting for you to find it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
The world is so full of opportunity and waiting for you to find it.

Also good sex.  It's literally everywhere you look.  You're kid in a candy store still sucking on last night's broccoli.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian

Also good sex.  It's literally everywhere you look.  You're kid in a candy store still sucking on last night's broccoli.

Oh fuck...that's a funny line.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Sol's ability to find a pithy hilarious summary knows no bounds. Except those of (ahem) good taste.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:23:16 PM by BicycleB »

Candace

• Pencil Stache

Seriously. There's no reason to spend your youth in a dry state when there's wetness, wetness everywhere. Go experiment. You won't believe the amazing things that'll happen.

Irishtache

• Stubble
Fuck dude, RUN! 734 posts? FFS, this 'relationship' is never gonna make you happy! Move and move on! I mean this kindly for both of you. Ken

Elle 8

• Stubble

On the other hand I'd kick myself in the teeth if I didn't take it. 99% sure I'm taking it-arranging for a flight the 12-14 just to visit the area and see the company and I guess we'll see how everything goes from there after I give my answer.

So you're there now i assume.  Please let us know how it goes.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Wow.  I hope this guy takes the job and moves on.  What I'm afraid will happen is he comes home with sad puppy dog eyes, she invites him to her bed, they have sex for the first time in 6 years and she gets pregnant.  Oops.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Wow.  I hope this guy takes the job and moves on.  What I'm afraid will happen is he comes home with sad puppy dog eyes, she invites him to her bed, they have sex for the first time in 6 years and she gets pregnant.  Oops.
Yep. We are all afraid of that.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
I feel like he's been stringing us along for 7 years in this thread.  Good Lord!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
I feel like he's been stringing us along for 7 years in this thread.  Good Lord!

Interesting thought.

The thread has actually been going for over 7 weeks. Over 14 weeks, in fact. That's about 4% of the length of the relationship itself. Also, presumably over 1% of the gentleman's life.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Paging @zoochadookdook  - how's everything going?

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
Hey ya'll sitting in the airport right now: some thoughts.

The job is good. The area meh; obviously it's not what I know/am used to. I'm actually shocked how much more uncomfortable I felt when actually thinking about the whole moving process than I've been saying. It's obviously a lot to  go from what you know to something completely different.

I should have an offer on company paper in the next day or 2. I stayed with my 2 buddies (one of them has the CIO father). We checked out downtown (touristy) and the office (right on the riverwalk downtown). Went to some bars and all that. The father gave me the down low on how it's a position that would have lots of room for advancement and I'd be working with the son very closely. The son is a good friend but he does have attitude issues (must always be right/hates to lose in anything etc) so that may be a factor I hadn't considered.

The girlfriend and I talked before leaving. Kind of the same deal. She said she feels like she's just sticking around hoping I'll see how happy we are and such and I stated I want intamcy in a relationship to be happy, and of course, she says how could she feel that not knowing about the future. Also if i did decide to go I'd be basically ending the relationship (because without commitment she's going to stay here and yeah) We've texted and such while I'm away and just talked about our days and such. I think once I get this written offer I have to tell them by the end of the week. I still don't know what pay would be exactly (both my friends were there and one makes less so I didn't bring it up)

I guess overall I'm just a lot more afraid/have actualized this is a big deal and change. I miss the dogs, the house, her; but I also understand the kind of opportunity it is. Big pluses would be pay, huge room for advancement, flexibility to work a few days remote etc.

Anyways thanks for checking in. Have a consoling apt tomorrow evening as well to go over it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Thanks for checking in. I’m glad to hear that the job opportunity sounds as good as it does. It probably isn’t perfect but it seems like such a big step up from the rut you are in now that I think you should embrace it. Even if you spend two years there and find it isn’t the right career fit your resume will be much stronger for having made the move and diversifying your experience.

I wish you strength and courage in getting to the point of ripping off the bandaid with your friend. You are just stuck on the same old hamster wheel and I think you know that. Keep us posted. We are rooting for you.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
I guess overall I'm just a lot more afraid/have actualized this is a big deal and change.

You'll feel less afraid after you move.

If you stay, you will live in your fears. If you move, you will conquer them.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
"I want intamcy in a relationship to be happy, and of course, she says how could she feel that not knowing about the future."

Millions of people a day - hell, probably a billion or more - feel sexual desire on a daily basis without knowing about the future.

Having no sexual desire because you don't know what the future holds is not a normal or healthy thing. It's not a reasonable starting point for a discussion, and the fact that she keeps going back to it is really not good. She's clearly not interested at all in working through whatever issues she has, but instead wants you to fix it for her by marrying her and being happy without a sex life - because that way she gets everything she wants and doesn't have to do anything.

End the relationship. Sell the house. Take the job.

former player

• Walrus Stache
I suspect that however afraid of change you are, your roommate is even more afraid of change, which is why she has been clinging so hard to a non-functioning relationship for the last 7 years.

I think you have the courage to make this leap and that it will be the best thing for both of you that either of you could do.

Good luck.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Runbikerun is completely correct on this. People sleep with strangers - and with people they see no future with - because it's biologically programmed into us to want sex. If she's happy and healthy and in her 20's and won't have sex with you when she sleeps in your bed every day, this is unlikely to improve with marriage or commitment. The only exceptions I see to this is that she might initiate sex in desperation (in an attempt to keep you around) or when she wants to get pregnant.

Change is always hard, but we ALL urge you to take this next step. The universe is gifting you a chance to start over and explore a new life. If you hate it, come back in a year or two with a big upgrade to the resume. My guess is that after the first month or two, you will realize what you've been missing and will start to build a life around your needs and interests instead of somebody else's.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
I guess overall I'm just a lot more afraid/have actualized this is a big deal and change.

You'll feel less afraid after you move.

If you stay, you will live in your fears. If you move, you will conquer them.

Well put. True and succinct.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
"I want intamcy in a relationship to be happy, and of course, she says how could she feel that not knowing about the future."

Millions of people a day - hell, probably a billion or more - feel sexual desire on a daily basis without knowing about the future.

Having no sexual desire because you don't know what the future holds is not a normal or healthy thing. It's not a reasonable starting point for a discussion, and the fact that she keeps going back to it is really not good. She's clearly not interested at all in working through whatever issues she has, but instead wants you to fix it for her by marrying her and being happy without a sex life - because that way she gets everything she wants and doesn't have to do anything.

End the relationship. Sell the house. Take the job.

Yeah. If the world was ending, many people would turn to the person they feel the most close to, to hold onto, hell make love to, have that intimacy before the world ended. And this is not even the world ending, but simply uncertainty.

7 years is a long time. You have a lot of domestic intimacy, and that is not nothing. You are making the right decision breaking this off due to fundamental incompatibilities, but it's perfectly normal and natural to have feelings of loss and mourning over this change as well, and to acknowledge them. 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
I'm excited for you to hear your offer and capitalize on it Zoocha!!!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
It seems like the choice is very clear to everyone except for you. Try making yourself a pro/con list for either option. This is how I see it
Pros of new job:
More pay, more opportunity for advancement, chance for a fresh start away from a stagnating relationship that is making neither person happy, opportunity to have sex for the first time in 6 years, chance to pursue your dreams of travel and develop your side hustle
Cons:
missing your existing network of friends/family, missing dogs, fear of the unknown?

If you've never uprooted and left a city, it seems very scary, but it's actually very freeing. You get a chance to recreate yourself without anything holding you back, and build up a life that is based around your values and desires. Plus, you have a bonus of already having a job and a couple friends in the new place, which will kick start your progress on a new network. Make the leap!

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
OP: you've been consistently uncomfortable with the idea of actually ending things, so I'm going to spell out what this looks like if you don't.

Her sex drive will not reappear. I'd be willing to bet a gigantic sum of money on this. It's been, what, six or seven years now without any sex? It's not coming back.

If you do stay with her, you're going to get very familiar with online porn. You're going to get used to snatching little windows of time in your week to watch porn and get off as fast as possible. And that's going to be your sex life for the next forty years, along with a badly dented self-image - because it'll be hard to think of yourself as attractive when your own wife doesn't show any sexual interest in you.

Actually, that's not quite true. You may cheat on her.

That isn't meant as a slight on your character. Everyone is presented at various points in their lives with opportunities to cheat - the scale and frequency of these opportunities will vary, but they will appear. The number of women who will want to climb on top of you and ride you like a horse the day they meet you is not zero, and if you haven't had any kind of sexual contact for years the day you meet one of those women, it's going to be extremely difficult to resist the temptation to throw caution to the wind. So you either avoid meeting new people as much as possible (which makes those occasional occurrences even more intense as you've developed no defences), or you maintain the willpower on a consistent basis to say no to those opportunities for the rest of your life.

So, at the risk of being a downer, those are your options. Functional celibacy (with a loaded helping of feeling undesired and undesirable), or cheating on your partner. Those are, unfortunately, the options if you don't end this.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:46:15 PM by runbikerun »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
I have to admit that--more than ten years in--the number of opportunities for me to cheat has been disappointingly low. Perhaps it's the MMM way of living, i.e. not spending money on flashy consumption goods.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
I have to admit that--more than ten years in--the number of opportunities for me to cheat has been disappointingly low. Perhaps it's the MMM way of living, i.e. not spending money on flashy consumption goods.

I suggest being a stay at home dad socializing with other stay at home moms, who work as a bartender, in a band. Only cost is the beers you give out free as a bartender... (results may vary)

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
Yeah I don't go out much and I don't see the point in cheating if i'm actively picking a relationship.

Anyways we've been talking a bit and she's considering moving out *(before her new job starts in 2 months)

I've been WAITING on this stupid hard offer with the details before confirming or moving anything along 100%. It's just a sad situation.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Yeah I don't go out much and I don't see the point in cheating if i'm actively picking a relationship.

Anyways we've been talking a bit and she's considering moving out *(before her new job starts in 2 months)

I've been WAITING on this stupid hard offer with the details before confirming or moving anything along 100%. It's just a sad situation.

She's considering moving out of the house and into her own place? Good luck on the hard offer details!

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

She's considering moving out of the house and into her own place? Good luck on the hard offer details!

In with her Mom, her moms of the opinion too much of her well being depends on me and we agree on that standpoint. She's told me to tell her either way before work starts so she has time.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Sounds like a baby step in the right direction.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache

Don't get me wrong - I don't think OP is going to be turning down multiple propositions on a nightly basis, but while those situations may be quite rare, they're not nonexistent.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!