Author Topic: NEW 2 year on off relationship - starts Pg 21. Issues with trust/attachment.  (Read 135822 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Experienced people give advice and young people ignore it.  Then the young people go through hell and gain experience.  That’s how young people become experienced people.  And they are now in a position to give advice to the next generation, which is promptly ignored.  Rinse-repeat, ad infinitum.

On the one hand, this is true. On the other hand, I think there have been times in my life when a brief, well-timed word has helped me make a good decision.

Plus, at least he asked :-).

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Don't worry,old people make mistakes too.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Experienced people give advice and young people ignore it.  Then the young people go through hell and gain experience.  That’s how young people become experienced people.  And they are now in a position to give advice to the next generation, which is promptly ignored.  Rinse-repeat, ad infinitum.

On the one hand, this is true. On the other hand, I think there have been times in my life when a brief, well-timed word has helped me make a good decision.

So true!  Reminds me of that great observation by Will Rogers:

There are three kinds of people. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
I have been following this thread but haven't commented yet because other people are saying it so well. But I really hope you decide to take the job.

I was married 15 years (from ages 20-35) and of course it was scary to be out on my own after all that time. It was also great. I want that for you and her.

When we were in our mid- to late-20s, my ex and I really should have admitted that we'd made a mistake and gone our separate ways. But we didn't. On my end, yes, this is partly because I wanted to have a baby. We had 2. Now, of course I don't want to go back in time and un-have my children, but you have the power to make a different, easier, less painful life for yourselves.

Splitting up is hard. But if you do it now, you will never be simultaneously crying and cleaning up vomit because your kid ate too much and was overexcited about the handoff and threw up all over everything, and now they're gone for two months with their other parent.

TL;dr: I was once a woman in my 20s who kind of knew that my relationship was bad but was ignoring that because I wanted a baby, and my ex would have done both of us a kindness in the long run if he had split.

Good luck!

+1

I am a woman in my late twenties who was married for 10 years to someone where I kind of knew the relationship was bad but it was scary to leave and more comfortable to depend on it.  It also involved the enormous hurdle of trying to get over infidelity (which even if successful, leaves major wounds and trust issues that as you've seen, echo for a very long time), sexual incompatibility, and mismatched life goals.  He eventually pulled the bandaid off and insisted that we weren't going to be happy together no matter how hard we tried, and he was right and did me a kindness.  Once it was over (like REALLY over, not "let's try this separation thing and be friends in each others' lives") it was immense relief and almost an overnight cure to what I thought was constant, low-level depression.  Turns out my main relationship was just at a constant, low-level of mediocre to bad.  I used to cry 3-4x a week, and now I can't remember the last time I cried; it's probably been 6 months.  It was a 180 degree turnaround in daily happiness being single, which has only improved since starting to date a nice guy who is a much better match for me in almost every way.  I don't even know if this new guy is the "for the long haul guy" - he could very well be a good one-year boyfriend for all I know, and it's STILL 1000% better than my ten year marriage.  Trust me, you lose all perspective about what is a good relationship after being in a bad one for this long, and you will be constantly surprised how great it is on the other side.

Please break this off and build separate lives, untangling as much as you can.  You fucked up a long time ago, but you don't have to wear the hair shirt of staying in a bad relationship as penance, because it helps nobody, including her.

marty998

• Walrus Stache

So true!  Reminds me of that great observation by Will Rogers:

There are three kinds of people. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Similar, but not quite similar to this quote, I once read one that said the three types of people are "those that make it happen, those that let it happen, and those that wonder what the hell happened".

Make the choice, and don't be #3.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
You were worried about getting a better job that paid more, to feel more financially secure. 
--> You were offered a job with a fantastic pay and advancement opportunities that would jumpstart your career, saving you YEARS of getting to that point elsewhere.  You even already have friends there so you're not starting from scratch.

You have discussed ad nauseam that you and your girl/friend have different wants/priorities that are not compatible and you ought/want to break up, but neither of you is willing to do actually it so your limbo and holding pattern continues with neither of you happier than you were months ago when this was hiding under the rug. 
--> Yes, breaking up now and moving WOULD make a tough decision an easier transition, absolutely.  Don't let her guilt you that you shouldn't do it if you want to because it's easy, as it sounds like she was doing from the other thread.  (Such a weird idea that you would want it to be hard rather than an easy end.  Would you tell a friend that their divorce needed/ought to be hard?)  And, watching from you on the sidelines, it has been hard!)  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masochism

You don't particularly like your house.
--> The new job is a perfect opportunity to sell your house and have your friend move out onto her own, into her new life/new start as well.  If you decide you want to move back (after having gained great work experience), you can rent (leaving you able to come back on a dime at any point), or buy something you like better.

What am I missing?  What's holding you back?

If nothing else, you could even consider moving and having a long-distance relationship.  With distance you can get clarity.  As someone else said, does absence make the heart grow fonder (despite not having your needs met) or do you grow apart?

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
Long distance relationships are great catalysts for break ups. If you don't have the balls or the resoluteness to break up, a long distance relationship might do the trick.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
What am I missing?  What's holding you back?

The dogs?

Absolutely a cross country move is a lot to coordinate. But, it's done all time, and this can all be worked out if you want it to.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
Yeah I mean so she's mentioned she wouldn't mind moving if she knew we were going forward towards marriage so obviously that's a conflict of interest.

From a job standpoint, you can't ask for much more of a leg up. Paid for certs, starting good base salary, a few friends in the company working directly with, etc.

The girlfriend is a tipping point. Staying together and moving isn't working unless I agree to the conditions (kids in a few years etc) which I can't seem to figure out. Staying together short term at distance may be an option but I'm guessing commitment to moving would be a catalyst towards all that. Already she's been looking for options for jobs up here/other ways I can work remote etc. I think the thing that sucks is just her perspective I would choose this job over my life here. 

On the other hand I'd kick myself in the teeth if I didn't take it. 99% sure I'm taking it-arranging for a flight the 12-14 just to visit the area and see the company and I guess we'll see how everything goes from there after I give my answer.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Yeah I mean so she's mentioned she wouldn't mind moving if she knew we were going forward towards marriage so obviously that's a conflict of interest.

From a job standpoint, you can't ask for much more of a leg up. Paid for certs, starting good base salary, a few friends in the company working directly with, etc.

The girlfriend is a tipping point. Staying together and moving isn't working unless I agree to the conditions (kids in a few years etc) which I can't seem to figure out. Staying together short term at distance may be an option but I'm guessing commitment to moving would be a catalyst towards all that. Already she's been looking for options for jobs up here/other ways I can work remote etc. I think the thing that sucks is just her perspective I would choose this job over my life here. 

On the other hand I'd kick myself in the teeth if I didn't take it. 99% sure I'm taking it-arranging for a flight the 12-14 just to visit the area and see the company and I guess we'll see how everything goes from there after I give my answer.

Hold up.

1) "Yeah I mean so she's mentioned she wouldn't mind moving if she knew we were going forward towards marriage so obviously that's a conflict of interest."

Why is she even discussing that? Have you actually INVITED her to move with you? If so, are you nuts???

2) "Already she's been looking for options for jobs up here/other ways I can work remote etc."

Ugh. UGH. UGH!!!!!! WHY IS SHE DOING THIS???? It is not her decision!!!

3) "I think the thing that sucks is just her perspective I would choose this job over my life here."

Well, you would be. Which is a GOOD thing. You are young and should be living for yourself. Not living for what she wants. Which is pretty much what you have been doing up until now.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
Staying together and moving isn't working unless I agree to the conditions (kids in a few years etc) which I can't seem to figure out.

No, she thinks you haven't figured it out because she hasn't cajoled you into a "yes," yet.  "Not knowing" if you want marriage and kids is a "No." You've figured it out: the answer is no.  She wants you to believe that your "no" means you don't know yet (because the only acceptable answer for her is yes) which is manipulative and abusive.

Don't you see what's happening here?  First it was no sex unless you agree to marry her, now it's no advancing your career unless you agree to marry her?

Jesus christ, dude.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
You need to be really clear with her that you don’t want marriage and kids with her at this point and that you do not see yourself changing your mind any time soon. You also need to be really clear that she needs to live her life and pursue the opportunity that she has for her new job where she is already. Meaning, you need to be really clear that if you take this job you will be moving alone.

To not be clear with her would be mean. You need to stop that train in the tracks because it will just get harder and harder to do the right thing the longer you wait.

Oh please rip off this bandaid.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
I feel like I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion...get off the train before it crashes!!!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Like a horror movie where everyone in the theater is yelling at the character on the screen because they can see what is coming but the character doesn’t? ;-)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Yep. Cue scary music.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
Nah. Not scary music. Credits music, after we see the scene where he's riding a train, writing in his journal the ending monologue of the movie as we zoom out and see the train get smaller and smaller on its way out west. Flash to his ex, who is gathering the last of her things and saying a wistful, yet hopeful goodbye to their old life together as she embraces her own future.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
So, say you stay. Turn down the job. Marry your friend. Do you really think this would EVER be a healthy happy relationship?
The patterns of relating and resolving differences will just be more embedded. She is not respectful of your point of view. You know this. And you will resent the lost opportunities and the life you might have had.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
So, say you stay. Turn down the job. Marry your friend. Do you really think this would EVER be a healthy happy relationship?
The patterns of relating and resolving differences will just be more embedded. She is not respectful of your point of view. You know this. And you will resent the lost opportunities and the life you might have had.

That's not what he's hesitating about, he's hesitating about promising her marriage and kids and bringing her along with him.
However, if the move doesn't turn out to be the "perfect" opportunity, then he doesn't have to worry so much about committing to her, because then he could just stay in the insane holding pattern where he doesn't actually have to make a decision.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
Or say you take the job and bring her with you.  She will expect marriage and babies, quid pro quo.  Either 1) you will acquiesce, not being sure that it's something you want right now, and become legally bound to her and bound to the responsibility of raising children.  Unless your sex life suddenly raises from the crypt like Dracula and your relationship completely transforms, you will develop a poisonous resentment for her which will inevitably destroy the relationship. However now it's worse, because divorce is messy and damaging to children....  or 2) After moving you will still be "unsure" about wanting marriage and children right now, and her own resentment for not getting what she wanted after sacrificing her new job and way of life will build poisonously, which will inevitably destroy the relationship.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Nah. Not scary music. Credits music, after we see the scene where he's riding a train, writing in his journal the ending monologue of the movie as we zoom out and see the train get smaller and smaller on its way out west. Flash to his ex, who is gathering the last of her things and saying a wistful, yet hopeful goodbye to their old life together as she embraces her own future.
I like this vision.

And between credits we get a couple of sentences of updates from a few years down the line where we see that both are doing great, better than before, and found happiness in a way they hadn’t imagined possible.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
You don't need her permission to break up.

Yes, you WOULD be choosing a new life over the life you have with her. Because the life you have with her isn't good. I am very sympathetic to her, too, and I don't even know your GF. The things she says often sound like things I might have said at a similar age. But you don't need to convince her.

I honestly think that if you break up with her, she will find someone that she wants to have sex with and who wants to have babies with her faster than either of you think, and you will make a good new life for yourself.

When you have only had one relationship as an adult, it's hard to see how fucked up it is. I am still surprised sometimes by how good a good relationship is.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
I just had a new idea.

You should move, take the job, and tell her you'll decide later what to do about her.

Then when you meet some hot woman in San Antonio, start having exciting rolls in the hay with the new flame.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
Ghost her, move your stuff out and put the house on the market while she's gone... It worked for my ex-BIL at least :-/

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache

ahhhhhh!

The cosmos has smiled upon you, giving you the perfect opportunity to transform your life all at once. 

Why do you need to agree to any conditions?  Or suffer through more guilt trips about marriage and other life-commitments you don't want to make? 

It's time to say your goodbyes, pack up, and go. 

The future is bright!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
I just had a thought about your GF's lack of libido, which she thinks is due to her BC method.  If you take the job and she doesn't move with you, she does not need to be on BC (not sure why she is on it now since you two are not having sex anyway).  She can go off it with no worries about pregnancy.  Then she can see if she recovers (or develops) a libido.  Of course this may not work - because 1. she needs the BC for medical, not pregnancy control, reasons (and if so, why has she talked about being willing to go off it?), or 2. she is asexual.  If she is asexual, she is never going to be interested in sex with you, so maybe this is something she should figure out now?  If she does develop a libido, this may let her realise that it is you she is not hot about, not men in general. In which case a better life opens up for both of you.

Seriously,  you worry so much about her, but this present situation hurts her as much as it hurts you, just not in as obvious a way.  If you really care about her so much, set her free to find a partner that suits her better.  I really mean this, my Ex (we were married a long time) didn't want me to leave, but he has a new partner now and they are much better suited to each other than we were.

In other words, GO and on your own!!!!!

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
I just had a new idea.

You should move, take the job, and tell her you'll decide later what to do about her.

Then when you meet some hot woman in San Antonio, start having exciting rolls in the hay with the new flame.

Lol. I enjoy spring rolls and pulled pork on rolls. 'bout it

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
I just had a thought about your GF's lack of libido, which she thinks is due to her BC method.  If you take the job and she doesn't move with you, she does not need to be on BC (not sure why she is on it now since you two are not having sex anyway).  She can go off it with no worries about pregnancy.  Then she can see if she recovers (or develops) a libido.  Of course this may not work - because 1. she needs the BC for medical, not pregnancy control, reasons (and if so, why has she talked about being willing to go off it?), or 2. she is asexual.  If she is asexual, she is never going to be interested in sex with you, so maybe this is something she should figure out now?  If she does develop a libido, this may let her realise that it is you she is not hot about, not men in general. In which case a better life opens up for both of you.

Seriously,  you worry so much about her, but this present situation hurts her as much as it hurts you, just not in as obvious a way.  If you really care about her so much, set her free to find a partner that suits her better.  I really mean this, my Ex (we were married a long time) didn't want me to leave, but he has a new partner now and they are much better suited to each other than we were.

She's been off it for several months now. She mentioned she has spurts of a libido but obviously due to wanting to wait for a future marital commitment and such combined with my perceived guilt at pressure to arrive at that conclusion if we were to engage in such acts-nothing doing. Prior she was on BC for period regulation and such.

She's definitely told me she's stressed as it feels like her life is a result of my choices going forward.

Kris

• Walrus Stache

She's been off it for several months now. She mentioned she has spurts of a libido but obviously due to wanting to wait for a future marital commitment and such combined with my perceived guilt at pressure to arrive at that conclusion if we were to engage in such acts-nothing doing. Prior she was on BC for period regulation and such.

She's definitely told me she's stressed as it feels like her life is a result of my choices going forward.

Sooooo.... you still haven't had sex?

Man, see the writing on the wall. End it.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
Anyways I'm going to talk to her this weekend about it. I need to book the flight down there and start making moves in the current job and life and jazz if i'm going down there and can't really put it off any longer.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
That is complete and utter bullshit.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache

This is not true.  With you out of the picture, she will have opportunities for her own personal growth and development.

My impression is that y'all are both a bit stunted from this relationship.   Apologies for the cliched phrase, but she needs to "find herself" just as much as you do.  Breaking up will be good for both of you in the end.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Anyways I'm going to talk to her this weekend about it. I need to book the flight down there and start making moves in the current job and life and jazz if i'm going down there and can't really put it off any longer.

Excellent update! Book that flight. Probably the kindest thing you can tell her is that you want her to be happy (not stressed), and you cannot give her what she wants to be happy (commitment, marriage, kids).

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache

This is not true.  With you out of the picture, she will have opportunities for her own personal growth and development.

My impression is that y'all are both a bit stunted from this relationship.   Apologies for the cliched phrase, but she needs to "find herself" just as much as you do.  Breaking up will be good for both of you in the end.

Yeah, perfect manifestation of co-dependency. Tell the roommate to pack her bags and get the house on the market. In 1 year you will both look back and be embarrassed that you both put up with this arrangement for so long.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

Well consider. If I move I sell the house. She lives in the house. Even if we were set on being married in x amount of time etc etc-I can see how a place she's made a home and become attatched to being discarded would be unsettling.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache

Well consider. If I move I sell the house. She lives in the house. Even if we were set on being married in x amount of time etc etc-I can see how a place she's made a home and become attatched to being discarded would be unsettling.

Your lives are the products of both of your choices. She refused to have sex with you and is still choosing not to, despite getting some libido back. You refused to get married and have kids, and are still choosing not to.

If you said once she has sex with you regularly, she's welcome to move with you and get married, then everything's due to her choice not to have sex. Except that would be gross and manipulative of you. Her version is gross and manipulative too.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache

She should have never "made a home" or become attached to a place for which she was not contributing.
You aren't married. She wasn't paying half the bills (was she?). Hell, she wasn't even sleeping with you.

This relationship is very bad. Run.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache

Yes it may be unsettling, but it's life too. What are you going to do, continue to give her a place to live for the rest of her life regardless of your relationship status? You know how crazy that sounds? You don't owe her a place to live.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache

I am sympathetic to her and don't think it's bullshit, but breakups are unsettling and stressful, as are strained and fragile relationships.  That sucks, but the only way out is through.  You can and should continue to be sympathetic to her feelings -- but by realizing that the kindest way to approach her and her feelings is not be just doing nothing because doing something will be hard, but instead to clearly and compassionately break up with her, as cleanly as you can.  It's unpleasant, but the alternative (letting things drag on and on) is worse. 

I was in her shoes, and I know how she feels.  Better to get it over with (amicably and compassionately, but clearly).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
I had to move out and find a new place to live when I got divorced. It was actually kind of great to have my own place. I know, it feels jerky to do, and my ex and I had the advantage of being in agreement that breaking up was best for us, but... this shit happens. You can be generous with the move-out timeline if you like (but with a firm deadline), but this is a thing that people have to manage.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
And you are again letting her manipulate and guilt you into putting her needs well before your own.

Breakups are stressful. That is life. But they are shorter lived and less stressful overall than your current relationship situation.

You don’t owe her a marriage just so she can avoid stress. You don’t owe her to put your career on the back burner so she can avoid stress. You don’t owe her indefinite free housing so she can avoid stress. You don’t owe her anything other than a reasonable period to find a new place to live and move out. One month is more than enough time in this situation.

sol

• Walrus Stache
Situations like this one are why the US divorce rate is so high.  People just refuse to see any other option than diving into a bad marriage head first.

Here's a tip for you.  If your waiter says he only has two things on the menu today, and option one is a giant shit sandwich, take option 2.  I don't care what mystery option 2 is, you don't eat the shit sandwich on purpose. 

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache

Excellent update! Book that flight. Probably the kindest thing you can tell her is that you want her to be happy (not stressed), and you cannot give her what she wants to be happy (commitment, marriage, kids).

Yeah I've resonated that. I've been committed but apparently, marriage is a big picture commitment vs the day to day commitment. I do want her to be happy and I've vocalized I'm holding her in limbo vs her finding someone who meets her standards.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Vocalizations are part of the codependency loop for you two.

Book that flight...

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
Yeah I've resonated that. I've been committed but apparently, marriage is a big picture commitment vs the day to day commitment. I do want her to be happy and I've vocalized I'm holding her in limbo vs her finding someone who meets her standards.

Why are you still vocalizing feelings and talking about holding her in bloody limbo?

You're not able to give her what she wants. She's not able to give you what you want. Nothing in the pages of updates and discussion indicates that you are one millimetre closer to a resolution than you were when you first realised this. You can either make a clean break and take a tremendous opportunity, or you keep going on and on and on and fucking on in the same neverending loop of talking about how both of you want things the other can't provide, getting older and more resentful year on year. Stop trying to find a fix for this relationship, because there isn't one. It's holed below the waterline, and letting it drag on like this is shitty both to yourself and to her. Absolutely nothing you've described gives the faintest indication that there's any kind of prospect of this getting better, and getting better at talking about your feelings does nothing except make you really good at seeing just how broken your relationship is.

Break up. Take the job across the country. Sell the house.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
You need to be really clear with her that you don’t want marriage and kids with her at this point and that you do not see yourself changing your mind any time soon. You also need to be really clear that she needs to live her life and pursue the opportunity that she has for her new job where she is already. Meaning, you need to be really clear that if you take this job you will be moving alone.

To not be clear with her would be mean. You need to stop that train in the tracks because it will just get harder and harder to do the right thing the longer you wait.

Oh please rip off this bandaid.
Yes so so much this.  I have been in a relationship that we ended, because it wasn't working.  And because he was moving and wanted me to follow him.  I didn't want to follow him.  I wanted to do my OWN thing.  But we broke up and left it with "maybe".  We kept in touch, talked weekly.  He came back to visit with ideas and ... yeah I was over it.  It was over, and that was for the best.  That six months in between of  "maybe" was really painful though.  Rip. Off. The. Bandaid.

Likewise, 5 years or so later (when I was your age-ish), a different BF moved away from me.  I told him "I'll consider following you, but only if we are married."  Which is what I wanted, but I wasn't necessarily going to pressure him. I had 2 more years in my military commitment before I could move anyway.  We are still married (but it was still hard, yo!)  HE was the right guy.  The first guy was not and I knew it.  He wanted stuff from me (commitment, kids, putting him first) that I wasn't willing to give.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
She is young - finding a new place to live is not that big a stress.  I found a new place to live when I left my husband, and we had been married for decades.  It was stressful.  Not as stressful as staying in the marriage would have been.  More stressful than if I had done it when I was 30 years younger.  Which I probably should have, looking back.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

There is always stress in life - the trick is to learn to cope with it.  How does anyone learn to cope if they never have any stress to deal with? Did her parents coddle her so much that she has poor/no coping skills?   Did yours?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
I’m gonna take this from a different angle.

I love my husband. I love him so much that it is hard for me to imagine how my body would ever find the strength to draw another breath if he died. The happiness I get from our relationship is something I find impossible to describe.

We have other couple friends who I think feel similarly about each other.

Is this how you feel about your friend?

It doesn’t seem like you do.

Finding a partner that lights up your world is one of the greatest joys of a human life.

Don’t take away your friend’s and your chance at a real relationship.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:47:03 PM by Kris »

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
I’m gonna take this from a different angle.

I love my husband. I love him so much that it is hard for me to imagine how my body would ever find the strength to draw another breath if he died. The happiness I get from our relationship is something I find impossible to describe.

We have other couple friends who I think feel similarly about each other.

Is this how you feel about your friend?

It doesn’t seem like you do.

Finding a partner that lights up your world is one of the greatest joys of a human life.

Don’t take away your friend’s and your chance at a real relationship.

Yeah I mean I enjoy our time together but nothing really makes me over the moon happy; I'm not depressed or such but I just don't get excited about things. Holidays seem like a hassle, most things I do for fun are because I enjoy the activity but it's not necessarily happy endorphins flying off the handle. Stuff like my birthday I'd rather ignore because I don't want to ask for things from people. It's difficult to find happiness working towards a future that you don't know where you want to end up/what you want/etc. I think the closest I am to a goal is finding out what my goal is;.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
Anyways I'm thinking of putting my 2 weeks in next week. This job makes way too much sense not to take.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache

She should have never "made a home" or become attached to a place for which she was not contributing.
You aren't married. She wasn't paying half the bills (was she?). Hell, she wasn't even sleeping with you.

This relationship is very bad. Run.

The old-fashioned rule is: don't live together if you're not married. It prevents a lot of this stress and pressure.

Added: and don't buy pets together.   I think it makes sense for you to buy out her share of the dogs and for you to keep them, not for her to 'give' them to you.  If she needs to rent a place, finding a rental that takes 2 dogs and paying extra pet rent is a PITA, so you keeping them and caring for them is a favor to her.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:06:00 AM by KBecks »