Author Topic: 6 Days in Kauai, Hawaii  (Read 3494 times)

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
6 Days in Kauai, Hawaii
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Hello wise Mustachians,

I have booked a week in Kauai in the second week of June.  I only have about 6 days to check things out, and am wondering if you have any suggestions for things that I should be sure to see?

Ideally I will be camping, and while a friend may be joining me on the island, it isn't a certainty.  Are there areas that I should not camp solo? Or should I be looking for other accommodation if I am travelling alone?

I would love to do a hike or three, and SUP the Wailua river.  Any personal recommendations or tips would be appreciated!

And on the off chance there are Kauai mustachians that want to meet up, I'm sure I could fit it in :)

. . .sneaks off in search of the Hawaii Meetup thread. . .

EDIT:  Aaand I just now saw the news about the extensive flooding happening there.  Hopefully everyone is safe, and that clean up will go smoothly.  I guess I will watch and wait to see what happens over the next few weeks! :/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:26:12 AM by ToTheMoon »

beattie228

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 6 Days in Kauai, Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Posting to follow. Heading there for my honeymoon on 5/20. Here's our 'To Do' list so far based on other recommendations. Would love to hear from the MMM community if there's something that needs to be added or removed from here. The plan is to hike a lot of the island and otherwise indulge on local foods/beers.

Drive to Koke'e State Park at Pu'u o Kila Lookout Over Kalalau Valley
Foodland Deli in Princeville and Kapaa (Get ahi poke!)
Bubbas Burgers (Hanalei)
Da Crack
Makai Sushi (Inside Kukuiula Market)
Kauai Food Truck (Koloa)
Tidepools
Hamura Saimin

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
The wife and I stayed at Waimea Plantation for a week in January.  Expensive, but if you're looking to relax, this place is great.  They are cottages within a stone's throw of the ocean and it used to be a sugar plantation.  You're pretty far removed from the touristy areas and that's perfect to me.   

https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/hawaii/waimea/waimea-plantation-cottages/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvXC484I1-Q5bTYEq9k8iuAvqiguC-mi2qzBGLf_97bWnLOVMftDs7waAkGmEALw_wcB

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
Reserve camping NOW if you can. Reservations fill up ahead of time. Hike as much of the Napali coast that you can in a day; two miles to the first very nice beach and a two mile spur inland to a stunning waterfall (I think actual mileage is about 8.4 miles round trip). The spur up to the waterfall has some spots where you have to jump and scramble between rocks. Gorgeous. Waimea Canyon is pretty great too for hiking.

For food, I highly recommend a stop at Streetburger in Kapa'a. Best burgers and by far the best beer tap list on the island.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
There is a beautiful out-and-back hike on the Napali Coast.  Follow the road counter-clockwise until it ends at a beach, then go to the left.  Be careful on this hike though, there are steep areas and people do slip and fall and get hurt.

The Princeville area has some nice beaches and a beautiful golf course.

Either a helicopter tour ($$$) or a boat tour ($) of the Napali Coast is beautiful.  If you do a helicopter tour, you can also see Waimea canyon from the air, as well as possibly the waterfall that was at the beginning of one of the Jurassic Park films.

The "Paradise Island" waterfall is on Kauai.  I'm not sure how to get there but I believe it is up the Wailua.  (You can't get there via SUP I don't think; just describing its general location).

There are some nice beaches around Poipu on the south side.  It is usually sunnier on the south side.

The road goes almost around the island but not quite, and there is traffic in the main city there on the southeast side where the airport is.  It takes an hour or three to drive around the whole island, so plan your days with that in mind (i.e., don't try to do a Napali hike in the morning and Poipu in the afternoon.)

If you see signs about undertows on the beaches, trust the signs and don't swim there.  You will possibly die.  Not worth it.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
Any recommendations for from-the-beach snorkeling spots?  We are headed to the island later this year as well and will be packing fins, masks and snorkels and are looking for spots to wade in from the beach and snorkel around.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
i second the hike along the napali coast to the beach that then turns and goes back to a waterfall you can swim at the base of.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
We did two weeks back in October. Stayed in Kapa'a which I thought was a good central location to do things on every part of the island.

Our favorite hikes were definitely Hanakapi'ai Falls (Na Pali Coast, 8 miles out and back) and the Alakai Swamp trail which I'd say is probably the most unique hike we've ever done (about 7.5 miles out and back). The swamp trail was super muddy when we went, so if you can take poles I highly recommend it. The Heritage trail was also pretty cool, although I wouldn't call it "must do."

Shave ice was a tough call because everyone has their favorite, but we found Hee Fat to be a can't lose. Once we found it I think we went back 4 days in a row. We also really enjoyed the Porky's food truck in Waimea, and Da Crack in Poipu.

If you're a dog person and looking for something a bit different, the Kauai Humane Society will allow you to take one of their dogs on a field trip. We did this and really enjoyed giving the dog a day out, even though we found out that it hated both the water and cliffs (which Kauai has a lot of). We took it to the Heritage trail and after about 15 minutes realized the hike wasn't going to work out. But the dog rested in the back seat of the car for the 45ish minute drive back.

I don't have good advice for beaches as, unfortunately, our favorite beach ended up being the one on PMRF which most people won't have access to. Although I suspect that the fact that we had the entire beach to ourselves might be part of why we enjoyed it so much.

I honestly don't think you can really go wrong with Kauai as long as you enjoy the outdoors. Just the other day I was telling my wife I might consider doing OMY just so we have enough money to live there for a year or two after FIRE.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
Either a helicopter tour ($$$) or a boat tour ($) of the Napali Coast is beautiful.  If you do a helicopter tour, you can also see Waimea canyon from the air, as well as possibly the waterfall that was at the beginning of one of the Jurassic Park films.

I did both.  The helicopter ride was amazing.  The boat ride was nice, but even on a nice day it was pretty choppy and a lot of people ended up being uncomfortable.  If you aren't of strong stomach/used to boats you might avoid this one.

If you see signs about undertows on the beaches, trust the signs and don't swim there.  You will possibly die.  Not worth it.

If you aren't a great swimmer or are traveling with people who aren't, highly recommend Lydgate State Park, as it has a protected area and is very easy to swim.  Also has (somewhat scuzzy, but useable) public bathrooms.

Also, we were there on a cruise stop at one point, and were planning to just hit the beach.  However, the surf was too much for my daughter, so we ended up paying a moderate amount (think it was $30/person?) to use the pool at the Hilton instead.  Might be other similar options, but we didn't have transportation to other areas, YMMV.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great replies!

I have bookmarked a bunch of the spots you listed in my guidebook and will use them to formulate a loose plan as the time gets closer.  I really wish I could pre-book my camping, but I am not yet sure if I will be travelling alone, and if I am, if it is wise to camp alone or not.  Anyone else camped alone on Kauai?

Perhaps @clarkfan1979 has some tips?

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 11:28:52 PM »
Any recommendations for from-the-beach snorkeling spots?  We are headed to the island later this year as well and will be packing fins, masks and snorkels and are looking for spots to wade in from the beach and snorkel around.
Tunnels Beach

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
Kalapaki Joe's has great happy hour specials

If you like raw tuna. Go to foodland and they have a poke counter where you can get different raw tuna poke mixes for 10 bucks per pound.

Secret Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
Speaking of Foodland download their app and register for a Maika`i card.  Its just a loyalty card/app that you can use to get  local prices versus the tourist prices.  It will save you a ton especially on alcohol at Foodland.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:15:30 PM by Secret Stache »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »
Posting to follow. Heading there for my honeymoon on 5/20. Here's our 'To Do' list so far based on other recommendations. Would love to hear from the MMM community if there's something that needs to be added or removed from here. The plan is to hike a lot of the island and otherwise indulge on local foods/beers.

Drive to Koke'e State Park at Pu'u o Kila Lookout Over Kalalau Valley
Foodland Deli in Princeville and Kapaa (Get ahi poke!)
Bubbas Burgers (Hanalei)
Da Crack
Makai Sushi (Inside Kukuiula Market)
Kauai Food Truck (Koloa)
Tidepools
Hamura Saimin

Bubbas Burgers in Hanalei closed. Kapaa or Poipu is still open.
Da Crack in Koloa is very good.
Food trucks in Hanalei are very good. They all park in the same spot.
Verde or Tiki Taco in Kapaa for Mexican Food
Hike Sleeping Giant in Kapaa.
Hike Waimea Canyon
Bon-fire on the beach in Kekaha or Kealia Beach in Kapaa. Pick up free drift wood off the beach.
I get poke from Safeway. The bargin bin typically has 50% off. Regular price $10.00/lb. Half-off $5.00/lb for poke!
Camping at Salt Pond in Hanapepe is pretty nice. It might be a little warm in mid-june but the hottest months of the year are August and September. It might be ok. Really close to the water to cool off. 
Best spot to learn surfing is Kalapaki Beach near the airport.

Bring food and drinks to the gazebo for sunset at Kukuiolono Golf Course. Park at the bottom of the hill before the gate. Walk up the hill to the gazebo. They lock the gate at 6:00 p.m. but you are still allowed to be there. They encourage it. You don't get to see the sun hit the water because there are trees in the way looking west. However, the overall view is incredible.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
I won't be in town. We will be in Denver. I think we will actually be camping in Steamboat Springs, CO that week.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:25:21 AM »
@clarkfan1979 whats the bargain bin at safeway is this like day old poke or something never seen it or heard of it but we're staying by the coconut beach area next year around this time and we eat way too much poke so half price is awesome.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
yes, I think it's day old poke, but it's typically has 2 days left until expired. They sometimes do 30% off, but I hold out for 50% off.

cash2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:42:06 PM »
Pretty sure huge parts of the Napali Coast hike have been washed away by flooding...

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:25 PM »
Pretty sure huge parts of the Napali Coast hike have been washed away by flooding...

Yes - it looks like it will be a couple of months before they can reopen that section.  I am slightly disappointed, but will hopefully use that as a reason to return. :)

Sounds like there are a few places that are boat access only that went unscathed.

Some updated info here:
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/kauai/napali-coast-state-wilderness-park/

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
If you are there on a Saturday you can join a group of people who clean up The Lydgate Beach in the morning. We did this twice and it was our favorite thing we did.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 02:51:18 AM »
If you are there on a Saturday you can join a group of people who clean up The Lydgate Beach in the morning. We did this twice and it was our favorite thing we did.

You went all the way to Hawaii and your favorite thing was picking up trash on a beach. Send that there are a lot closer places you could go pick up trash that would effect you more in your day to day life

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!