Poll

Out of current presidential candidates, who is most likely to get your vote? Number in parenthesis is their current(9/28/15) National poll percentage within their party

Hillary Clinton D (40.8%)
35 (18.3%)
Bernie Sanders D (27.6%)
83 (43.5%)
Joe Biden, assuming he runs D (20%)
5 (2.6%)
Jim Webb D (0.8%)
3 (1.6%)
Martin O'Malley D (0.8%)
0 (0%)
Donald Trump R (23.4%)
12 (6.3%)
Ben Carson R (17%)
11 (5.8%)
Carly Fiorina R (11.6%)
2 (1%)
Marco Rubio R (9.6%)
8 (4.2%)
Jeb Bush R (9.2%)
1 (0.5%)
Ted Cruz R (6.2%)
3 (1.6%)
John Kasich R (3.6%)
4 (2.1%)
Chris Christie R (3.4%)
2 (1%)
Mike Huckabee R (3.2%)
1 (0.5%)
Rand Paul R (2.4%)
13 (6.8%)
Other
8 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Author Topic: 2016 Presidential Candidate (Updated Candidates)  (Read 66502 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2016 Presidential Candidate (Updated Candidates)
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »
It's crazy how many people lie by saying Trump is a bad businessman, when they could say Fiorina was a horrible CEO without having to lie.

I think you could say that Trump is kind of a mediocre businessman who benefited greatly from having been born "on third base".

Fiorina is just an absolutely horrible businessperson and I can't even imagine how she got taken seriously by a single person re this presidential race (before the first debate, at any rate).

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
Fiorina is just an absolutely horrible businessperson and I can't even imagine how she got taken seriously by a single person re this presidential race (before the first debate, at any rate).

Wait until you see her scheme to boost the GDP by initiating a hostile takeover of Canada.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »
I would never vote for Trump, but he is a pretty good business man. He has never gone bankrupt but rather his companies, and those were business decisions, he had enough money to bail them out but it didn't make financial sense to do so. He's definitely an old racist selfish arrogant bastard that should never be president though.

If by "pretty good" you mean "ran his companies worse that the S&P 500 average" then sure, he's pretty good.
http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/

As for me, I don't think being a below-average CEO qualifies one to be President.
If he invested all of his inherited money in S&P 500 and didn't withdraw anything, he'd have slightly less money today than he currently does. However he decide to live like a consumer sucka and also be a businessman. He is able to sustain a very very extravagant lifestyle that wouldn't be sustainable if he was in index funds while also becoming a billionaire. I still don't think he should EVER be president, but that doesn't mean I'll tell lies about him or go along with them.

I gave a source for my claim.  Where's yours?

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »

Wait until you see her scheme to boost the GDP by initiating a hostile takeover of Canada.

That earned a nice belly laugh.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
It's crazy how many people lie by saying Trump is a bad businessman, when they could say Fiorina was a horrible CEO without having to lie.

Saying Trump isn't in the top 250 businessmen in the US isn't a lie.  It also doesn't say anything about Fiorina being a horrible CEO, which she was.

The height of Fiorina's political experience is being the second-best former CEO to lose a statewide election in CA in 2010.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2015, 12:10:05 PM »

Saying Trump isn't in the top 250 businessmen in the US isn't a lie.  It also doesn't say anything about Fiorina being a horrible CEO, which she was.

The height of Fiorina's political experience is being the second-best former CEO to lose a statewide election in CA in 2010.
So everyone not in the top 250 businessmen is a shitty businessman and we should lie saying they would do better just investing in index funds?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
Other than Trump saying so, what exactly are we using as evidence of how good a businessman he is?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
Other than Trump saying so, what exactly are we using as evidence of how good a businessman he is?
He leads a VERY extravagant lifestlyle while remaining a billionaire. He inherited 200 million in 1982, and now has between 3-10 Billion while also sustaining that lifestyle. If he invested in S&P 500 and didn't withdraw money to live off of he'd be at 8.3 billion. He claims his net worth is $10 billion but most say it's actually $3-5 billion
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:36:38 PM by Jeremy E. »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »
He leads a VERY extravagant lifestlyle while remaining a billionaire. He inherited 200 million in 1982, and now has between 3-10 Billion while also sustaining that lifestyle. If he invested in S&P 500 and didn't withdraw money to live off of he'd be at 8.3 billion. He claims his net worth is $10 billion but most say it's actually $3-5 billion

So, if he showed the bare minimum of investing acumen he would have 8.3 billion dollars because of his inheritance.  Best guesses estimate his current net worth at 3-5 billion.  I'm not a rocket scientist here . . . but 8.3 billion minus three to five billion should equal enough to maintain a rather lavish lifestyle, right?

So why are we saying that he's a great businessman?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »

So, if he showed the bare minimum of investing acumen he would have 8.3 billion dollars because of his inheritance.  Best guesses estimate his current net worth at 3-5 billion.  I'm not a rocket scientist here . . . but 8.3 billion minus three to five billion should equal enough to maintain a rather lavish lifestyle, right?

Who said he's a great businessman? I merely said he's not a bad businessman.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »

Except barely hitting the S&P does not seem like a good business person.  Because 8.3B- lavish spending=~3B.  So, great, he was able to follow the S&P.  Not good, to me equals bad.  I am sorry but I am not following you.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »

So everyone not in the top 250 businessmen is a shitty businessman and we should lie saying they would do better just investing in index funds?

Someone not in the top 250 US businessmen is below average for large companies, which is what I said. No lies. I didn't say that meant they were shitty - I said that performance doesn't qualify one to be President.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »

Except barely hitting the S&P does not seem like a good business person.  Because 8.3B- lavish spending=~3B.  So, great, he was able to follow the S&P.  Not good, to me equals bad.  I am sorry but I am not following you.
I think he's an average businessman and I don't think average equals bad. He did about as good as the S&P 500, which we can say is average. I don't see a problem to aspire to be more than average, but I do see a problem with calling average people bad.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-03/should-donald-trump-have-indexed-

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

Someone not in the top 250 US businessmen is below average for large companies, which is what I said. No lies. I didn't say that meant they were shitty - I said that performance doesn't qualify one to be President.
You said nothing about large companies. You said he was a below average businessman which I think is false, I think he's an average businessman. I agree he shouldn't be president.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-03/should-donald-trump-have-indexed-

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2015, 01:42:07 PM »

You said nothing about large companies. You said he was a below average businessman which I think is false, I think he's an average businessman. I agree he shouldn't be president.

I thought it was clear from context, since I used the S&P 500 as the comparison data.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »

I thought it was clear from context, since I used the S&P 500 as the comparison data.
S&P 500 includes about 500 companies, one of them is not Trumps company, A lot of those 500 companies haven't done as good as the S&P 500. The stock market averages around 11% which is incredible, I think someone matching that is AT LEAST an average businessman. I find it hard for people to argue with that, but it seems you are doing so.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
So now that you know what I mean, can you stop calling me a liar?

Thanks.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »

Thanks.
I still don't agree with you in that he's a below average businessman.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »

Thanks.

And what I've tried to make clear is that what I meant was that he's not one of the top 250 businessmen:

Saying Trump isn't in the top 250 businessmen in the US isn't a lie.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »

Thanks.

And what I've tried to make clear is that what I meant was that he's not one of the top 250 businessmen:

No one disagrees that Trump isn't in the top 250 businessmen, but in context of large companies it's hard to understand what you mean, as that could be comprehended in many ways, most of which I would still disagree. By large companies I can assume you mean companies worth more than 10 billion, however that doesn't include Trump, so maybe you mean something else by large companies. Also, are you referring to CEOs of companies? Owners? There are roughly 300 Large Cap publicly owned companies in the U.S.  I'm not sure how many exist outside the U.S. or how many privately owned large cap companies there are, I'd also assume in the top 250 businessmen, a lot of them aren't affiliated with large cap publicly owned companies. Therefore I would say that it is not below average for a businessman affiliated with a large cap company not to be in the top 250 businessmen, and I still wouldn't quantify Donald Trump as a below average businessman.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »

Thanks.

No one disagrees that Trump isn't in the top 250 businessmen

Good!  That's my point.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

Thanks.

Good!  That's my point.
You just said your point was that "Someone not in the top 250 US businessmen is below average for large companies." Now you're saying it's merely that he isn't in the top 250 businessmen? First that he's a below average business man, then below average for large companies, now this, make up your mind.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »

Thanks.

Good!  That's my point.
You just said your point was that "Someone not in the top 250 US businessmen is below average for large companies." Now you're saying it's merely that he isn't in the top 250 businessmen? First that he's a below average business man, then below average for large companies, now this, make up your mind.

You're reading uncertainty where there isn't any.  Trump isn't one of the top 250 US businessmen.  That's what I meant in my first post on the subject, and every post since then.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »

Thanks.

Good!  That's my point.

You're reading uncertainty where there isn't any.  Trump isn't one of the top 250 US businessmen.  That's what I meant in my first post on the subject, and every post since then.
Maybe that is what you meant but it isn't what you said. How should I understand what you mean when you say otherwise?

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »

Thanks.

Good!  That's my point.

Maybe that is what you meant but it isn't what you said. How should I understand what you mean when you say otherwise?

Because I've spent the last 20 posts clarifying.  And it's consistent - see the bolded.  How many more times do I need to repeat that?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
Those poor CEOs can't catch a break. 
If the company value drops, then they are bad at business - thus unqualified to be president.
If the company value increases, a likely contributing factor was eliminating a low-performing part of the company - thus they are good at business but heartless SOBs and unqualified to be president.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2015, 11:07:33 PM »
My preferred scenario would be  President and Congress that could actually work together to get some positive things accomplished, but if that is not possible I'm fine with a President who is a Democrat who prevents the dismantling of Obamacare, doesn't put any more conservative justices on the Supreme Court, and cancels out a Republican Congress with a frustrated conservative minority.

When the president and congress agree, more and more of what remains of our freedom flow away quickly.  When they are at loggerheads, at least it is only a trickle.  And you will note that I do not believe one party is better than another for this.  They are all power-hungry shitheads.

I can't disagree more. It is so easy to take potshots at the politicians, but at least they are putting themselves out there. Sure, some are there to line their pockets but I believe, most, in both parties, are there to make a positive contribution. Unfortunately the more gerrymandered our districts have become, the more polarized and less willing to work across the aisle our representatives are.

Government is supposed to be about people coming together to find common ground to make our lives better. A hundred and fifty years ago, we had no child labor laws, no workplace safety regulations, no food safety laws, no financial protection for the elderly, no civil rights protections, a regular cycle of financial busts with no banking protections and environmental problems from polluted burning rivers to smog to acid rain. Unless one is an extreme libertarian, the government's role in changing all that was a good thing. Government can and should work to make our lives better. In the last 30 years, attitudes have changed such that too many people have forgotten that government can be positive and the fact that they actually want a paralyzed government is a bleeding shame.

You misunderstand the notion of libertarian if you think your characterization is not contradictory. The government's role was a compulsory measure, rather than one of voluntary participation, in those cases; that's enough to put it outside of the range of correct actions of the federal government. That these laws in each case reduce freedom or create "positive rights" make them overreach.

Please explain exactly what is contradictory? I wrote that UNLESS one is an extreme libertarian, the government's role in changing all that (regulating child labor, workplace and food safety, pollution and protecting civil rights) was a good thing. Nothing I wrote dealt with the motive of why libertarians are opposed to laws regarding these things. My point was merely that most people, with the exception of extreme libertarians, would agree these were good things that the government did and thus the government can and should work towards the common good. I totally get that if you are a libertarian, you disagree with that for philosophical reasons.

It's contradictory because your use of the qualifier 'extreme' implies that a libertarian wouldn't be opposed to the government taking control of those thing. The chain of thought that government should be more involved because they are capable of effecting some good outcomes is precisely what libertarians disagree with; no 'extreme' needed.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
Please explain exactly what is contradictory? I wrote that UNLESS one is an extreme libertarian, the government's role in changing all that (regulating child labor, workplace and food safety, pollution and protecting civil rights) was a good thing. Nothing I wrote dealt with the motive of why libertarians are opposed to laws regarding these things. My point was merely that most people, with the exception of extreme libertarians, would agree these were good things that the government did and thus the government can and should work towards the common good. I totally get that if you are a libertarian, you disagree with that for philosophical reasons.
It's contradictory because your use of the qualifier 'extreme' implies that a libertarian wouldn't be opposed to the government taking control of those thing. The chain of thought that government should be more involved because they are capable of effecting some good outcomes is precisely what libertarians disagree with; no 'extreme' needed.
So what you are saying is that even a modest libertarian would rather turn back the clock 150 years and have children laboring in mines, companies polluting to the hilt, the production of unsafe food, people working in fire prone buildings and racial segregation rather than have the government involved in regulating and/or stopping these things. Thank you for correcting me on that. I had foolishly thought that only the extreme libertarians were of this mindset.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2015, 07:27:22 AM »
Your mistake was in implying that an extreme philosophy can be applied in a moderate/sensical manner.  This is a philosophy that has historically been less successful to implement than communism.  Think about that for a minute . . .

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2015, 07:33:01 AM »

I think he's an average businessman and I don't think average equals bad. He did about as good as the S&P 500, which we can say is average. I don't see a problem to aspire to be more than average, but I do see a problem with calling average people bad.

Hey Jeremy, no point debating with these guys about politics or business, most are extreme liberal and hate any type of businessman. They miss the entire part that Trump created thousands of jobs with his businesses and still made more than just setting the money in a index fund. Like you said, he also was able to live a very luxurious life and still have almost 10 billion. I guess people rather support Bernie Sanders, which just created housing for the poor with other peoples money and showed no real economic growth with his history. In addition, all his policies would cost over $19 Trillion over a decade, which has already been proven to be impossible to fund. I also do not understand how using force is moral and right to help a handful of people, instead of allowing individual freedom to choose. In addition, by forcing more tax on the people, you are creating a burden for those as well. Lots are already living paycheck to paycheck, so lets force more out of their paycheck to solve it?

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2015, 07:49:29 AM »
Your mistake was in implying that an extreme philosophy can be applied in a moderate/sensical manner.  This is a philosophy that has historically been less successful to implement than communism.  Think about that for a minute . . .

My original statement was honestly trying to give the benefit of the doubt to those people who appreciate the ideal of libertarianism, but were not so single minded that they couldn't accept that sometimes the intervention of government might be the lessor of two evils.

I don't know. Maybe anyone who self identifies as being a libertarian IS by definition extreme.

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

My original statement was honestly trying to give the benefit of the doubt to those people who appreciate the ideal of libertarianism, but were not so single minded that they couldn't accept that sometimes the intervention of government might be the lessor of two evils.

I don't know. Maybe anyone who self identifies as being a libertarian IS by definition extreme.

I lean toward more freedom of individual with the government mostly being out of our business, but you made a clear point I thought! :) There is always a time and place for government to reach in enough to help and not hurt the overall process. Like child labor laws, slavery, sweat shops, and many more things. However, letting government force costly regulations that do not really benefit much at all is annoying hahaha.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »

I lean toward more freedom of individual with the government mostly being out of our business, but you made a clear point I thought! :) There is always a time and place for government to reach in enough to help and not hurt the overall process. Like child labor laws, slavery, sweat shops, and many more things. However, letting government force costly regulations that do not really benefit much at all is annoying hahaha.

I think everyone would agree that costly government regulations that have little or no benefit doesn't make sense. Where people have difficulty agreeing are the questions of exactly how much a regulation costs, whether it is too much and how much benefit is provided and whether it is worth the cost.

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »

I think everyone would agree that costly government regulations that have little or no benefit doesn't make sense. Where people have difficulty agreeing are the questions of exactly how much a regulation costs, whether it is too much and how much benefit is provided and whether it is worth the cost.

Exactly!! but then you get those people from both sides that scream none at all or add as many as possible because each side thinks it helps more.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »

This one does not belong in this list.  Chattel slavery is an example of a violation of the NAP, as well as a violation of property (of self) rights.  Because if you don't own yourself, what could you possibly own?  So a libertarian would always be opposed to chattel slavery, even an "extreme" one, and support a core function of government (enforcement of property rights) to correct such an injustice.  The other two don't belong in that list, and for the same reason.

I recommend this book on these subjects...

https://mises.org/library/defending-undefendable

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

This one does not belong in this list.  Chattel slavery is an example of a violation of the NAP, as well as a violation of property (of self) rights.  Because if you don't own yourself, what could you possibly own?  So a libertarian would always be opposed to chattel slavery, even an "extreme" one, and support a core function of government (enforcement of property rights) to correct such an injustice.  The other two don't belong in that list, and for the same reason.

If I really want to enslave someone, the only way you can stop me is through force.  How does that square with a non aggression principal?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »

If I really want to enslave someone, the only way you can stop me is through force.  How does that square with a non aggression principal?

The use of force isn't verboten, it's the initial use of force.  The first user of force is the aggressor, hence the name, the Non-Aggression Principle.  Notice that libertarians are not opposed to personal use of firearms in a self-defense scenario, either.  We are not peace-at-any-cost,turn-the-other-cheek-niks.

However, we do also understand that, on some level, that's a logical dodge.  We also have to have a well defined definition of 'force' in this context.  We do, but it's way too complex to go into details here.  But I can assure you that 'micro-aggressions' would not qualify, but use of "fighting words" might, depending upon the context.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
OK.  So new question.  Any pollution that you generate violates the non-aggression principal.  Driving a truck for example, is harming others for your own personal gain.  What level of counter aggression is allowable to deal with this problem?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
OK.  So new question.  Any pollution that you generate violates the non-aggression principal.

Not any pollution, but this might be true in a particular context.  But not because you say so, you are going to have to show your work on this one.

Driving a truck for example, is harming others for your own personal gain.  What level of counter aggression is allowable to deal with this problem?

Escalation is not permitted, so responding to a guy driving a truck that needs a tune up by shooting at his engine block is not justifiable, obviously.  This might fall into the realm of economic harm to your person/property, based upon what actual harm that pollution has caused.  Said another way, you actually have to have some evidence of actual harm, not theoretical harm.  So if he drives by your property twice a day for weeks before getting a proper tune up, and your tomato plants near the road dies during this time period, you might have a claim.  However, if you just happen to know that his truck needs a tune up, but can't present any evidence that he drives within any reasonable distance of your property to cause real harm; just claiming that he has harmed you doesn't fly.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
OK.  So new question.  Any pollution that you generate violates the non-aggression principal.

Not any pollution, but this might be true in a particular context.  But not because you say so, you are going to have to show your work on this one.

Driving a truck for example, is harming others for your own personal gain.  What level of counter aggression is allowable to deal with this problem?

Escalation is not permitted, so responding to a guy driving a truck that needs a tune up by shooting at his engine block is not justifiable, obviously.  This might fall into the realm of economic harm to your person/property, based upon what actual harm that pollution has caused.  Said another way, you actually have to have some evidence of actual harm, not theoretical harm.  So if he drives by your property twice a day for weeks before getting a proper tune up, and your tomato plants near the road dies during this time period, you might have a claim.  However, if you just happen to know that his truck needs a tune up, but can't present any evidence that he drives within any reasonable distance of your property to cause real harm; just claiming that he has harmed you doesn't fly.

This is an honest question, and please take it as such: What is done when there are a large number of people doing things that individually have little impact but cumulatively cause harm (we'll use pollution here for continuity)? In other words, a link may not be easily made to an individual, and pursuing that individual may not actually make a substantial change, thus the demonstrated individual-level damage would be small. Unless there is a mechanism to organize classes of plaintiffs and defendants, then these types of problems appear intractable and favor the individual polluter.

Borrowing from the example above: a person's asthma may not change depending on the presence of the neighbor's poorly tuned truck passing on the road, but their asthma may be clearly linked to overall diesel emissions.

This has real world application to situations such as the documented increase in asthma rates near places like the Port of Long Beach related to intensive use of high-particulate fuels (diesel, bunker C, etc). Would the person have to individually make the case to sue individual Port operators and would that be expected to provide a lasting remedy?

How would this be addressed?

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Just listened to Sanders on Bloomberg. I think he just took my vote. Sounds like he cares about people not tops bottom line

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
Haha

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »

Honestly, I don't know.  But just about any libertarian will admit that some government has a role, and the court system is one such part of the government that can play part of that role.  I would presume that a class action suit, or something very similar, would still exist in a truly libertarian nation.  It's not really true that governments see a problem and then respond.  It's more like the population sees a problem, and then governments react, and often over-react.  The EPA & OSHA were founded on sound principles, initially; it's what they have become that is both objectionable, and was predictable, under classic liberal political thought.  The public realized that coal stack smoke was bad for health well before the EPA was founded, and the working public realized that worker safety could be improved well before OSHA.  These massive beauracracies are not the reason your tap water is safe to drink, nor that the Subway is a cheap and effective form of transportation around New York City.  Your water is safe to drink, because engineers at General Electric developed a cheap way to mass produce chlorine from salt water (a process that was gifted to a international aid group called WaterStep about a decade ago, and can now be done using a machine about 6 pounds and a foot square, when it used to require a 10K square foot facility; this non-profit is in Louisville, Ky; the same city that the original process was developed back in the 1890's); and the NY subway is safe and effective because a private corporation designed and built it, before it was effectively taken by the city government during WW2.  Governments are reactionary, never proactive.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:43 PM »

Honestly, I don't know.  But just about any libertarian will admit that some government has a role, and the court system is one such part of the government that can play part of that role.  I would presume that a class action suit, or something very similar, would still exist in a truly libertarian nation.  It's not really true that governments see a problem and then respond.  It's more like the population sees a problem, and then governments react, and often over-react.  The EPA & OSHA were founded on sound principles, initially; it's what they have become that is both objectionable, and was predictable, under classic liberal political thought.  The public realized that coal stack smoke was bad for health well before the EPA was founded, and the working public realized that worker safety could be improved well before OSHA.  These massive beauracracies are not the reason your tap water is safe to drink, nor that the Subway is a cheap and effective form of transportation around New York City.  Your water is safe to drink, because engineers at General Electric developed a cheap way to mass produce chlorine from salt water (a process that was gifted to a international aid group called WaterStep about a decade ago, and can now be done using a machine about 6 pounds and a foot square, when it used to require a 10K square foot facility; this non-profit is in Louisville, Ky; the same city that the original process was developed back in the 1890's); and the NY subway is safe and effective because a private corporation designed and built it, before it was effectively taken by the city government during WW2.  Governments are reactionary, never proactive.

Thanks for the reply. I think we might disagree a bit about the intrinsic efficiencies of industry & government in different capacities, but I understand where you are coming from better now.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »

It's hard to  get someone to go through the pains of a major campaign so that they can reach power only to deliberately not exercise it, or fight to reduce their own power. It's also probably impossible to do because it involves dropping the subsidies out from underneath everyone's feet, and then having the steadiness of hand to not over-correct while things are still shaking out. Yet it's probably impossible to do it any other way. We currently have a complex web of counter-acting overreactions; if you take away only half of those you get a hell of a mess.

I guess the extreme version of libertarians are volutaryists/anarchists, who say that any government is too much. But the post that started this mini-thread suggested that libertarians would agree with certain high-visibility government implementations of progressive causes. I disagree because the ideal state to a libertarian is one that exists only for national defense (not global intervention) and protection of natural rights (as well as a system to address violations of them.)

This is an honest question, and please take it as such: What is done when there are a large number of people doing things that individually have little impact but cumulatively cause harm (we'll use pollution here for continuity)? In other words, a link may not be easily made to an individual, and pursuing that individual may not actually make a substantial change, thus the demonstrated individual-level damage would be small. Unless there is a mechanism to organize classes of plaintiffs and defendants, then these types of problems appear intractable and favor the individual polluter.

Borrowing from the example above: a person's asthma may not change depending on the presence of the neighbor's poorly tuned truck passing on the road, but their asthma may be clearly linked to overall diesel emissions.

This has real world application to situations such as the documented increase in asthma rates near places like the Port of Long Beach related to intensive use of high-particulate fuels (diesel, bunker C, etc). Would the person have to individually make the case to sue individual Port operators and would that be expected to provide a lasting remedy?

I admit that externalities can look very tricky, and I'm not even close to having answers for all of them. You sometimes see examples of private ownership/management doing good work with externalities because those owners can find ways to disincentivize or seek prosecution against destructive activities where otherwise the negative impacts would be spread across many people who don't suffer enough or have resources enough to fight back. That idea is ugly because having something like a waterway under private control sounds like a really bad idea. My response to that is that people much smarter than I could probably find a good answer, and that I have seen examples of good implementations of disconcerting ideas like that.

Poaching is an example that I think represents where private control could really do great work; the long-term benefits of keeping most heavily-poached animals alive (tourism money) far outweighs the prices those animals fetch on the black market. Unfortunately there is typically no framework for a group to internalize, and subsequently act to stop, what previously were harmful externalities.

So I guess my hopes are that people much smarter than I, or with applicable local/specific knowledge, could address the problems I can't fully grasp, and could do so without coercion. I should probably sit the rest of this discussion out, because Moonshadow is much more kind-spoken and eloquent than I am.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »

And the interstate highway system?  Our constitution? Medicare? Public schools?  The military?  Anti trust legislation? The laws that allow for your proposed class action law suits?  The NIH?  The military? 

Were these all products of the free market system, or did government play a crucial role in their formation?

This demonization of government is too simplistic by much.  Government can be both too big and too small.  It can accomplish great things, and can get in the way. Taxes can be too high and too low.  The social safety net can be to generous and not generous enough.  Regulations can be too strong and too weak. 

The natural progression of a free market is monopoly and concentration of power.  And once fully formed the only way to turn those counterproductive forces back is with incremental legislation/legislation/regulation or violent revolution. 

I prefer the former.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »
Damn Doc, sometimes you throw some real softballs...

And the interstate highway system? 
Was a national transportation system devised for the rapid movement & support of domestic military.  Much like the German Autobaun.  It was never about improving the transit options of citizens, that was just a side effect during peacetime.  As a sidenote, there was, and remains, a rule of the construction of new interstate highways that roughly one mile every five is supposed to be straight & without obstructions (overpasses, over arching signage, concrete barriers on the sides, etc) so that sections of the interstate can actually be used as aircraft runways for smaller craft, such as the type of combat aircraft typical during the 1950's.

In short, the interstate highway system is an extension of the military authority of the federal government, which libertarians typically do not object to.

If your idea was roads in general, as in the classic "who will build the roads?" complaint about libertarian thought, the answer is the same people who build them now.  Governments don't build the roads, private contractors do this, everywhere in the country.  The difference is about who will fund the construction and maintenance of those roads.  The answer to that question is, it depends.  And there are too many possibility to actually name them all.  And yes, there are many examples of privately funded and maintained roads and highways; both of historic interest, as well as contemporary examples.  One such example of how to fund road construction is similar to how we fund the construction of other shared infrastructure, such as water companies.  Since these are very mature infrastructure technologies, and thus very boring investments, these projects are typically funded by bonds with additional features to the bondholder.  Currently, that means municipal bonds, that are tax free for in state residents.  Other possible 'local' incentives could be a rate discount for bondholders, direct convertability (a bondholder could directly pay their water bills without selling them on the bond market first, I can't think of a private road equivalent here.)
Our constitution?
This one is strange, because yes, the US Constitution is a direct result of a temporary dominance of classical liberal (libertarian) philosophy.  It's provablely true that the framers of the US Constitution were trying to establish a republic with just large enough of a government to prevent the interstate bickering that had already occurred under the Articles of Confederation, and not much more.  There is a huge body of evidence to support this view.

Medicare?
Socialized medicine is, by definition, not a product of a free market; no.  What is your point here?  That Medicare is a net positive for society?  Maybe, maybe not.  It is certainly a net positive for those who live past 65.  It is, and always has been, beyond the enumerated powers of the federal government, though.  Whether or not we have an obligation to support our elders is a question that libertarian cannot answer, but we have known since the 1700's that is a burden for the states individually to manage, not the federal level.  Ironically, there was a recent episode of Freakonomics Radio (oct 7th) that directly addressed this very question.  It's a great episode, and I assigned listening to it to my students.

Public schools?
This one is easy.  There was no such thing as a public school in the United States prior to 1895, at least not 'public' in the sense that it was funded by taxes with compulsory attendance of students.  And such a public school system was not nationwide until the 1930's, and the federal department of education was, what? 1970's?  So, no; universal education is not a requirement to a well educated population, nor a successful nation.  The US became a world superpower (not really a good thing, mind you, but an example of success compared to other nations and populations) with a workforce with a median separation grade level of about 8th grade.  A formal educational environment is far from the most common, historically speaking.  College used to be an exclusive learning environment, filtering for the most meritorious among our population.  There are much more "educated" populations around the world, many of which have been besting the US public school system for decades on many metrics.  Some of them are public school systems, some are private school systems.  There is little evidence that universal education is even a desirable goal for a society, much less an actually achievable one; but there is plenty of evidence that a completely private system of education would do no worse than a publicly funded one.

The military? 

National defense is a enumerated function and power of government, so they can establish & maintain a standing army if they choose to do so.  However, that is certainly not how it's always been, and not the only way to do it.  The US 'milita' system is modeled after the Swiss militia system; and as a matter of law, every able bodied male between the ages of 16 and 45 are members of the "unregulated militia".  This is exactly where the legal basis of the draft & selective service comes from.  We libertarians don't like it, but most of us accept it.

[/quote]
Anti trust legislation? The laws that allow for your proposed class action law suits?  The NIH?  The military? 
[/quote]

???

Were these all products of the free market system, or did government play a crucial role in their formation?

Yes.  Both.  As I have already mentioned, governments are reactionary.  At best, they are responding to issues already recognized by the populations.  At best.

This demonization of government is too simplistic by much.  Government can be both too big and too small.  It can accomplish great things, and can get in the way. Taxes can be too high and too low.  The social safety net can be to generous and not generous enough.  Regulations can be too strong and too weak. 

All of this is easy to agree with.

The natural progression of a free market is monopoly and concentration of power.

Nope.  There is no example of a persistent, natural monopoly.  Not one, ever.  Feel free to try to disprove this, but every single actual persistant monopoly in history was established by, and maintained by, the force of government.  If you think you have found one, mention it, and I will point out how artificial government support either established, maintained, or both; any such monopoly. 

And once fully formed the only way to turn those counterproductive forces back is with incremental legislation/legislation/regulation or violent revolution. 

I prefer the former.

In practice, however, you indirectly support the latter.  The sad part is that you don't know it, can't accept it, and are likely offended by the accusation.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2015, 07:39:53 AM »

Exactly!! but then you get those people from both sides that scream none at all or add as many as possible because each side thinks it helps more.

While there are people from both sides as you describe, let's not make this a false equivalence. There is one side in particular that is currently dominated by this type of behavior, such that they essentially forced one of their own leaders to resign over his opposition to their plans to force a crisis by shutting down the government. He sacrificed his position to prevent that from happening and has become a pariah in their eyes.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
I guess the extreme version of libertarians are volutaryists/anarchists, who say that any government is too much. But the post that started this mini-thread suggested that libertarians would agree with certain high-visibility government implementations of progressive causes. I disagree because the ideal state to a libertarian is one that exists only for national defense (not global intervention) and protection of natural rights (as well as a system to address violations of them.)

Sounds like a No True Scottsman fallacy. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulations regarding child labor. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government protecting civil rights. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulating pollution. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulating workplace safety.

I'm certainly not a libertarian and thus have no ground to argue otherwise. I merely started with what I thought was a reasonable assumption that among libertarians there was a range of passion for the libertarian ideal. I imagined the extremists could never admit that the advancements we've made were good because government's involvement. In addition I imagined that there were less extreme libertarians who while appreciating the libertarian ideal were not so stuck on it that they couldn't imagine exceptions to it, such as the examples I provided.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:18:21 AM by dramaman »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »

Sounds like a No True Scottsman fallacy. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulations regarding child labor. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government protecting civil rights. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulating pollution. No True Libertarian would ever agree with government regulating workplace safety.

I'm certainly not a libertarian and thus have no ground to argue otherwise. I merely started with what I thought was a reasonable assumption that among libertarians there was a range of passion for the libertarian ideal. I imagined the extremists could never admit that the advancements we've made were good because government's involvement. In addition I imagined that there were less extreme libertarians who while appreciating the libertarian ideal were not so stuck on it that they couldn't imagine exceptions to it, such as the examples I provided.

I'm finding this discussion interesting, but we are perhaps threadjacking a bit. Should this discussion of libertarian principles be split off to its own thread?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!