Author Topic: "Trigger" images - what is offensive?  (Read 10530 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: "Trigger" images - what is offensive?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2019, 07:45:51 AM »
These analyses may each have some truth in them, but I think the thought process for most guys is, "haha, balls" and that's the full extent of it.

And my analyses I just made up is that the truck is like a horse where you can see the testicles from behind.

I kinda buy into that.  Mostly because . . . I find this extremely funny:

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »
I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?

Because your president condones it.  Sadly I think you are in for another 5 years at least.

The president, with the full support of one of the two major political parties in the US.
You are both wrong.  You have to accept someone thinking something and advertising something you don't like because of freedom of speech.  It has nothing to do with political party or presidents.  That being said, one party in particular is trying to place more and more limits on free speech.

Nope, sorry, this isn't a free speech issue and the problem isn't about one party trying to place limits on free speech. It is about the dumbing down of 'Merica and a president who plays to that fact, he is emboldened by his base and vice versa.  Behaviours that were previously considered unacceptable for public figures have become accepted by the masses, which then allows those same behaviours to be normalized by the masses.  Free speech never meant freedom from the consequences of that speech, but today, those consequences that were the backbone to civil society seem to be disappearing. 

Nice try though. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
Got it.  Orange man bad.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »
And my analysis I just made up is that the truck is like a horse where you can see the testicles from behind.

Er, nope :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stallion

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
I find truck testicles offensive.   I always have the urge to kick them, but I think it would hurt my foot more than the truck.

I think you can kick them if you like. My experience has been that they are free swinging and made of a rubber-like material, so you shouldn't be harmed.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »
This is an older thread, but I hope that you did not touch another person's truck or put stickers on it.

Would you want someone putting stickers on your vehicle?  No?  OK.

Hope you are feeling better. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »
Question:

What does the American flag in black & white with a single blue stripe stand for?  They are often hung vertically, I think.  I've been seeing them for a few years & don't have a clue what they mean, but assume it's something negative.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
Question:

What does the American flag in black & white with a single blue stripe stand for?  They are often hung vertically, I think.  I've been seeing them for a few years & don't have a clue what they mean, but assume it's something negative.

Thin blue line, law enforcement. Not negative

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Why would you want to do anything about this? Just be glad this idiot broadly advertises his idiocy so you can avoid him.
This is the correct response.  I always appreciate people that save me time by advertising their stupidity as I don't have to discover it on my own.

This is an older thread, but I hope that you did not touch another person's truck or put stickers on it.

Agreed.  I thought most people were taught as children the lesson of "is that yours?  No, so don't touch it"

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
Question:

I knew the blue line had something to do with law enforcement.  I thought the colorless flag with the single blue line, hung vertically might indicate that somebody feels that we're living in a police state.  I wasn't sure if they were against that or supporting it.

The colorless flag seemed to signify that they believe the American dream is dead, or under threat, especially since they're hung vertically.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
Question:

I knew the blue line had something to do with law enforcement.  I thought the colorless flag with the single blue line, hung vertically might indicate that somebody feels that we're living in a police state.  I wasn't sure if they were against that or supporting it.

The colorless flag seemed to signify that they believe the American dream is dead, or under threat, especially since they're hung vertically.

Looks like that, doesn't it? I've always found that flag to look weird and sinister.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »

Agreed.  I thought most people were taught as children the lesson of "is that yours?  No, so don't touch it"
yes, you should not touch things that are not yours, and I think stickers count.  In the same vein, most children are taught some variant of "don't be a dick".  It seems to me that many want to do things largely because another group will find it offensive.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
Question:

As others have said -
thin blue line = law enforcement
thin red line = firefighters
thin green line =  Federal Agents such as Border Patrol, Park Rangers, Game Wardens and Conservation Personnel.
thin orange line = Search and Rescue Personnel (SAR), and Emergency First Responders.

per tradition and flag etiquette: When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the American flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

--
  --

--
  --

--
  --

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »
I haven't seen any red, green, or orange stripes displayed yet. 

Maybe they aren't as proud as the cops, around here anyway. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
I had to look up the image.  If it’s this one, then it seems to me that she’s into it but the guys eyes are maybe angry looking.  I really don’t think this particular version (if different from yours) is trying to imply rape.  In Terrible taste though

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
I had to look up the image.  If it’s this one, then it seems to me that she’s into it but the guys eyes are maybe angry looking.  I really don’t think this particular version (if different from yours) is trying to imply rape.  In Terrible taste though

It's interesting that some people would be so offended by such as thing.  Some people are so sensitive these days.  I would just give it a look and move on without a second though.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
I wouldn't say that I'm "offended", but I do find it suprising how trashy Americans have become. 

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
I agree: it’s trashy but I don’t see it depicting violence towards women.  Just an obnoxious mental juvenile who likes to post sex doodles on his vehicles.  Tee hee!  Sex exists!

ETA: I understand getting a first impression and having your own interpretation.  And maybe that’s not the decal that you are describing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:21:57 PM by Ann »

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »
Sounds like it's this one:

While trashy and I would never put it on my car, this thread says a whole lot more about the OP than it does about the bloke with the sticker.  Said bloke would be as happy as that OP is so upset.  I just shake my head at how fragile some people choose to be.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:15 AM »
Well I was going to tell about the person I encountered in the grocery store with several very visible nazi tattoos, but it seems like we're talking about stick figures here.

I have met nazi's before and while I would much rather have neo nazi's who are open about their ideology rather than those pretending they are decent people while having Hitler's portrait hanging above their bed, I was quite shocked because this guy just casually had many nazi tattoos on full display in a very neutral place. He was standing next to me in line and I felt my skin crawl and my heartbeat went up even though he was just standing there buying food.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2019, 06:32:28 AM »
I wouldn't say that I'm "offended", but I do find it suprising how trashy Americans have become.

How trashy some Americans have become.  I blame the liberals. ;)  LOL.

MOD NOTE: Unnecessary trolling. Please don't.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:32:10 PM by arebelspy »

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
It would be much more satisfying to modify the woman stick figure to look like a man.

Then put a little rainbow flag sticker next to them.  The beauty of simplified line art is that it's easy to subvert.

Ha ha!  Yes, that would be perfect!

I'd say it is less than ideal.

The person who was these decals likely isn't doing it simply to express an opinion, they are doing it to get a rise out if people.

Putting additional stickers is exactly the kind of thing that could cause them to escalate; more in your face stickers maybe, an in person confrontation (verbal or physical) its possible, legal issues for defacing private property/vandalism/disorderly conduct could be.

If the owner responds then what, continue to escalate?

My opinion is either leave it be or if it really bothers the OP look to see if it violates some local obscenity laws.

This is how sticker-on-sticker violence gets started.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »

I haven't seen any of the other color either. In my area I noticed a rise in the blue stripe ones as a result of the Black Lives Matter movement and protests against police brutality.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2019, 01:32:13 AM »

I haven't seen any of the other color either. In my area I noticed a rise in the blue stripe ones as a result of the Black Lives Matter movement and protests against police brutality.

Does having the flag imply you are that profession, or is it just like... I support this profession?

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2019, 05:46:31 AM »
It's support.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:43 AM »
It's support.

It's also "please consider giving me a warning rather than a ticket".

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
It's support.

LOL +1.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 11:02:17 AM »
It's support.

LOL +1.

So it’s the new police benevolent association sticker without having to donate anything

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
It's support.

LOL +1.

So it’s the new police benevolent association sticker without having to donate anything

Very mustachian! ;)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
I feel angry because the owner of this truck is clearly making an aggressive statement, but using a cartoon do so, thus pretending it means nothing.  It is violence against women.  There's no doubt in my mind.  But I am sure that if I were to say that publicly, then some other people would gaslight me into thinking "huh, how can stick figures even have sex?"     I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?

You are having this conversation because you live in a country that values free speech.  The whole point of having freedom of speech is that you will occasionally run into speech/text etc that you don't like.  If we could outlaw speech that offended us, we wouldn't have freedom of speech.

As a retired military officer I absolutely hate to see someone burning the US Flag.  It enrages me.  That being said, I am glad I live in a country that so highly values freedom of expression that it is legal to burn the flag in protest. 

Last comment.  I have a theory that the number of stickers on the back of a vehicle has a direct correlation to instances and severity of mental illness.  This applies to all portions of the political spectrum.
Yes to both bolded parts - plus the number of stuffed animals on display in a car rear window is in direct relationship to how bad someone drives.

I don't really find too many things offensive. Trashy, stupid, funny, obnoxious but not really anger-inducing offensive. Apparently a "Hello Kitty with an assault rifle" tee shirt I have seems to enrage some other people though. But it's pink! It's Hello Kitty! How can something so adorable enrage anyone ;-).

The comment that number of stickers on the back of a vehicle correlates to mental illness made me remember a study that was done a while ago on the correlation of number of bumper stickers to road rage. Turns out, there is one.

https://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
I live in a small college town & it's common to see cars with dozens of interesting stickers on the rear.  I enjoy reading them at traffic lights.  Most of them are the "friendly hippie" type of stickers.  I have a hard time believing they belong to a bunch of road ragers.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »
The sticker is meant to be in shockingly poor taste. It's the logical next step up from naked-lady truck flaps and Calvin urinating.  They put it there specifically to get a rise out of people like the OP.

Regarding Truck Nutz, y'all might enjoy this podcast episode exploring the phenomenon:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/decoder-ring-explores-the-strange-and-wacky-world-of-novelty-testicle-products-truck-nutz-bulls-balls-neuticles-bike-balls-gunsticles-and-more.html

The host finds that people who hang the Nutz on their bumpers aren't doing it to showcase their masculinity.  They know the Nutz are silly and trashy, but that's a style they revel in, and they enjoy imagining other peoples' reactions.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 07:13:03 AM »
Try putting a drawing of Mohammed on your car and see what happens.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 07:19:19 AM »

Nothing would happen . . . since nobody knows what he looked like, nobody would recognize that the drawing was of the prophet.  Unless you explicitly wrote out 'This is the prophet Mohammed'.  In which case you would probably be treated poorly by members of the muslim community.  This isn't unique in any way of course.  If you replaced the woman stick figure with a bearded man and wrote the text 'Jesus likes it up the ass' I'd expect an unfriendly response from Christians.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:21:32 AM by GuitarStv »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »

While trashy and I would never put it on my car, this thread says a whole lot more about the OP than it does about the bloke with the sticker.  Said bloke would be as happy as that OP is so upset.  I just shake my head at how fragile some people choose to be.

This is the sticker! 

I'm actually not fragile, but thank you for trying to take me down a peg so that I don't voice my opinion about what is clearly advocating "Rape Culture".  I'm sick of looking at this truck and I'm tired of pulling up into a parking lot where someone can imply, through the use of cartoons no less, that it's okay to advocate for hurting women.  Yep, it's pretty easy for me to just walk past and forget all about it, but your response and implication that there's something wrong with ME now makes me want to report this to the EEO office on base.  Thanks for convincing me that I need to stand up and speak out against a culture that is okay with treating women like property. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

This is the sticker! 

I'm actually not fragile, but thank you for trying to take me down a peg so that I don't voice my opinion about what is clearly advocating "Rape Culture".  I'm sick of looking at this truck and I'm tired of pulling up into a parking lot where someone can imply, through the use of cartoons no less, that it's okay to advocate for hurting women.  Yep, it's pretty easy for me to just walk past and forget all about it, but your response and implication that there's something wrong with ME now makes me want to report this to the EEO office on base.  Thanks for convincing me that I need to stand up and speak out against a culture that is okay with treating women like property.

First, mjr's assumptions are unfair. I don't think this is a sign of fragility. If the image were advocating rape, which you honestly believe it does, then maybe you should say something.

On the other hand, I think you are making incorrect assumptions as well

yes, in the one bending over, it honestly appeared like a stick-figure rape.

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, but I'd say I'm around 99.9% certain that this was not the intent of whoever drew this cartoon. I would say this is "clearly" a joke which alludes to the stick figure families people stick on their back window, which in turn suggests the stick figures are in a consenting relationship. I don't see anything about the image which suggests force.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2019, 08:49:12 AM »

This is the sticker! 

Your ability to interpret stick figure facial expressions must far exceed my own if that is "clearly" nonconsensual. I also don't know much about stick figure mores but I'd guess that, like with humans, rape is not typically how families are created.

As others have said, it's intentionally crass and the owner is delighted thinking of all the people they're offending. I would deny them the satisfaction of a formal complaint, and silently thank them for making it abundantly clear that they're an idiot.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
It's gross. Full stop.

Personally, I kind of appreciate these tasteless displays from morons. Because they are a clear signal to me that this is just the kind of person I prefer to stay far away from.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »

Nothing would happen . . . since nobody knows what he looked like, nobody would recognize that the drawing was of the prophet.  Unless you explicitly wrote out 'This is the prophet Mohammed'.  In which case you would probably be treated poorly by members of the muslim community.  This isn't unique in any way of course.  If you replaced the woman stick figure with a bearded man and wrote the text 'Jesus likes it up the ass' I'd expect an unfriendly response from Christians.
Seventeen people dead at Charlie hebdo is an "unfriendly response"?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2019, 09:53:35 AM »

Yes, everyone who puts a drawing of Mohammed on their car will be murdered by Al Qaeda /s

What point are you trying to make here?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
I swear, there are certain posters on this forum that make me want to buy a bunch of copies of this book and distribute it liberally.

www.amazon.com/Bullshit-Harry-G-Frankfurt-ebook/dp/B001EQ4OJW

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
***Warning: Random bitching that maybe I only care about***

To venture further off-topic, I was triggered when watching the US - Mexico Gold Cup Final on Univision (because fuck cable, I don't care if the only word I understand is GOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!) and the camera decided to focus on the guy wearing a "Chingue Su Madre" shirt for a full ten seconds or so after the Mexicans went up 1-0. Now, I was never good at Spanish, but I was very good at learning foreign curse words and phrases, and somehow felt the US television stations would be bombarded with complaints if they said the equivalent of "Fuck Your Mother" on national broadcast television, especially with the implication that the other country's team (which happened to be my team) is the mother being fucked. (In other words, it wasn't the t-shirt that offended (I probably would have chuckled had I seen it in person), but rather the focused broadcast of that t-shirt on national television implying it was the editorial thought of Univision.)

***End rant***

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »

No, it's a horrific act of terrorism.  The terrorism committed in the name of Christianity by Anders Breivik and Brenton Tarrant were also not 'unfriendly response'.  I understand though, that these extreme outliers are not indicative of the behaviour of the majority of religious people in the world.  Do you?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
The image dragoncar posted (#1) is crass.  The one MJR posted (#2) is offensive.

Someone whose car/truck sported #1 is someone I am most likely not to have many shared values with.  The person who would have #2 is someone I would actively avoid. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:07:34 PM by RetiredAt63 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
#2 looks like it was composed with little bits of tape. 

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
The terrorism committed in the name of Christianity by Anders Breivik and Brenton Tarrant....

Not the best examples. Both figures were anti-Islamist white supremacists, but the Christian tag is clearly rejected except for its potential use as a 'tool' or means to an end.

There are surely better examples, though none I can come up with on the top of my head with the sole motivation of defending the honor of Christianity against blasphemers.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »
The terrorism committed in the name of Christianity by Anders Breivik and Brenton Tarrant....

Not the best examples. Both figures were anti-Islamist white supremacists, but the Christian tag is clearly rejected except for its potential use as a 'tool' or means to an end.

There are surely better examples, though none I can come up with on the top of my head with the sole motivation of defending the honor of Christianity against blasphemers.
Islam hasn't quite drawn the modern boundaries around what should happen with blasphemers.  Or other boundaries like nonbelievers, women's rights, etc.  I think in part it's because European faith experienced transformation during the enlightenment and Islam hasn't dealt with individual sovereignty so clearly.  Just speculation there, I'm far from an expert.

Anyway I know it's only partly relevant to the topic but it seemed interesting to me.  Islam is fascinating but I think it will have to transform to a less ritualistic state to coexist.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
The artiste behind this sticker doesn't seem to have applied much skill.  But my own sense is that it wasn't intended to show rape, just copulation that will lead to the usual stick-figure family.

What to me is most off-putting is the male figure's expression. He is goofy and distracted, performing more for the viewer than for his partner. He needs to show more consideration for her!  I'm laying odds he is an inadequate lover.

Anyway, this is not a good sticker!  But it's just expression of trashiness, not a threat of violence.

You could respond with your own humor (maybe bring in a windshield marker to make your own contributions to the image, altering its meaning).  Or just avert your gaze. 

If you let it bother you, the driver wins.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
The image FIREstache posted (#1) is crass.  The one MJR posted (#2) is offensive.

Someone whose car/truck sported #1 is someone I am most likely not to have many shared values with.  The person who would have #2 is someone I would actively avoid.

I didn't post any images.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »
The image FIREstache posted (#1) is crass.  The one MJR posted (#2) is offensive.

I didn't post any images.

You are right - I saw it in your post, but you were quoting dragoncar.  I'll go back and fix it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!