Author Topic: "Trigger" images - what is offensive?  (Read 10536 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
"Trigger" images - what is offensive?
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:02:54 AM »
I didn't want to hijack the thread on trigger words, but this just happened this morning and I wanted some feedback on it. 

This morning when I parked, a huge ass truck had a picture of a machine-gun toting Lincoln on the back tailgate protecting something.  It was so out of place, I needed a better look so I walked up to it to look more closely.  That's when I saw the stick figure images on the back windscreen.  A stick figure woman humping an NRA logo, a few other stupid things, and smack dab in the center was an image of a male and female stick figure with the male bending the woman over and the words "this is how stick figures make families". 
Yeah, it's cartoons.  But this was the first time I've ever seen something any place where I go where I thought "The driver of this truck clearly wants to intimidate other people and believes that violence against women is funny or acceptable". 

I'm not easily offended.  Why is a cartoon making me so uncomfortable?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Trigger" images - what is offensive?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:13:09 AM »
I think I missed the violence towards women part?

No doubt the truck owner is probably a complete tool but i think its a bit much to leap to thinking the guy is violent.

Im triggered by people who brandish the hammer and sickle  on thier clothes or have it on protest signs... its like they dont understand the millions of deaths and generations of suffering the ideology has inflicted on those who had to live uunder that symbol.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »
We do not know if the cartoon figure woman gave consent to be bent over.

She was clearly enjoying the NRA logo bloke.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 07:42:00 AM »

yes, in the one bending over, it honestly appeared like a stick-figure rape. I know that sounds ridiculous.  That's what looked violent.  I know "she" wasn't smiling.   I'm going back out to look at it again.  Maybe I'll snap a picture if I think I can get away with it (we're not allowed to use cameras here)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »

yes, in the one bending over, it honestly appeared like a stick-figure rape. I know that sounds ridiculous.  That's what looked violent.  I know "she" wasn't smiling.   I'm going back out to look at it again.  Maybe I'll snap a picture if I think I can get away with it (we're not allowed to use cameras here)

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek.

I don’t think you have to go to the length of photographing the stick figure cartoon woman to see the expression on her face to know that this is generally an inappropriate visual image to parade on your truck. It is juvenile. It may be a jerk-ish.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:59 AM »
I would say that if you are offended, the vehicle owner has accomplished what he/she set out to do.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »
My usual thought here seems to apply:

You have the right to say/display what you want. I have the right to judge you based on what you say/display.

I'll agree with Adam, the individual probably intended to offend. If someone you know shows up with such an image on their vehicle, then you can feel free to disassociate yourself from them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
No confederate flag?  Weird.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:05 AM »
I would say that if you are offended, the vehicle owner has accomplished what he/she set out to do.

Yep, I got that feeling as soon as I saw it.

No confederate flag?  Weird.

I'll probably find one if I go look some more.  There's a whole other side that I haven't seen yet. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:38:32 AM »

The proper reaction should be "Wow, I bet his penis is HUGE."

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »

Car is there again today.  I might print out a banner and tape it to his windshield.  I love this as a giant banner!

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »

Car is there again today.  I might print out a banner and tape it to his windshield.  I love this as a giant banner!
This guy is just trolling for responses. Usually the policy is don't feed.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »
The irony is that a car with a  simple rainbow flag bumper sticker would probably get him riled.

This guy is just trolling for responses. Usually the policy is don't feed.

+1

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Perhaps the images did not strike you as consensual, as evidenced by the stick figure's positions. Remember the old twist on the "Hang Ten" feet, where a smaller pair of feet was inverted and between the larger feet? It was considered a bit racy at the time, but it was also kind of cute. It didn't have the menace that you felt. Oh, yeah, maybe that's why they call them "triggers".

I agree that feeding the troll might not help. Is this a Company parking lot? If so, maybe think about looping HR in, maybe?? Otherwise, doing nothing, beyond counting the number of stickers to estimate the owner's IQ and EQ, is probably the best course of action.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:04 PM »
Perhaps the images did not strike you as consensual, as evidenced by the stick figure's positions. Remember the old twist on the "Hang Ten" feet, where a smaller pair of feet was inverted and between the larger feet? It was considered a bit racy at the time, but it was also kind of cute. It didn't have the menace that you felt. Oh, yeah, maybe that's why they call them "triggers".

I agree that feeding the troll might not help. Is this a Company parking lot? If so, maybe think about looping HR in, maybe?? Otherwise, doing nothing, beyond counting the number of stickers to estimate the owner's IQ and EQ, is probably the best course of action.

I studied it a little closer this morning to try to determine what was bugging me about it.  The image shows the female stick figure with eyebrows raised and her mouth in an "O", which appears to be shock or surprise.  Her hair is also disheveled.  The male stick figure is winking. 

I work on a military base, but there are few military people here.  I'm a contractor, so there isn't really an HR for me.  This is a strange, creative, and scientific environment where you're pretty much left to yourself and there's really no one to "tell". 

I feel angry because the owner of this truck is clearly making an aggressive statement, but using a cartoon do so, thus pretending it means nothing.  It is violence against women.  There's no doubt in my mind.  But I am sure that if I were to say that publicly, then some other people would gaslight me into thinking "huh, how can stick figures even have sex?"     I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
There's a black pickup in my town that has a couple of stickers I find offensive - the first is a bumpersticker that has "Trump that b*tch!" written on it and a caricature of HRC looking very disheveled.  The second is the outline of the US with the words "F*ck off, we're full!"
I've also spent a lot of time reflecting on why those messages bother me so much more than others which might support similar policies but less offensively (e.g. a simple Trump/Pence sticker or one that supports curtailing immigration).  Both seem designed to evoke an emotional response from opponents as much as offer support ('success', i guess). There's also something I'm interpreting as deeply misogynistic about the caricature of HRC, though without further examples it's impossible to definitively say this attitude extends to women in general vs exclusively HRC.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »

I studied it a little closer this morning to try to determine what was bugging me about it.  The image shows the female stick figure with eyebrows raised and her mouth in an "O", which appears to be shock or surprise.  Her hair is also disheveled.  The male stick figure is winking. 

I work on a military base, but there are few military people here.  I'm a contractor, so there isn't really an HR for me.  This is a strange, creative, and scientific environment where you're pretty much left to yourself and there's really no one to "tell". 

I feel angry because the owner of this truck is clearly making an aggressive statement, but using a cartoon do so, thus pretending it means nothing.  It is violence against women.  There's no doubt in my mind.  But I am sure that if I were to say that publicly, then some other people would gaslight me into thinking "huh, how can stick figures even have sex?"     I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?
Any way you can draw a oh my god that hurts face on the male stick figure?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »

Any way you can draw a oh my god that hurts face on the male stick figure?

It would be much more satisfying to modify the woman stick figure to look like a man.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
There's a black pickup in my town that has a couple of stickers I find offensive - the first is a bumpersticker that has "Trump that b*tch!" written on it and a caricature of HRC looking very disheveled.  The second is the outline of the US with the words "F*ck off, we're full!"
I've also spent a lot of time reflecting on why those messages bother me so much more than others which might support similar policies but less offensively (e.g. a simple Trump/Pence sticker or one that supports curtailing immigration).  Both seem designed to evoke an emotional response from opponents as much as offer support ('success', i guess). There's also something I'm interpreting as deeply misogynistic about the caricature of HRC, though without further examples it's impossible to definitively say this attitude extends to women in general vs exclusively HRC.

My neighbor across the street puts up signs supporting Trump, but it seems as if he does it ONLY to make a point and to be extra-insensitive.  For instance, at the first Women's March, he put up the "We support Trump" signs and another one with a donkey getting fucked (can't remember exactly).  During the March for our Lives protest, he had NRA signs and signs about pulling his guns out of his cold, dead hands.  On Presidents' Day, he flies the Trump Flag.  I usually have groups of people staying in my home during these well-publicized protests, so I think he must do it as his own sort of protest (not against me, personally, but the whole town fills with protestors).  I don't find it threatening at all and I find it easy to laugh it off.    I do not post any political signs in my house or yard, but I always insist that any protestors staying with me pose with their signs in front of the house for posterity, so I'm sure he thinks he knows my political leanings. 

Can't wait to see what he does for July 4th this year.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
It would be much more satisfying to modify the woman stick figure to look like a man.

Then put a little rainbow flag sticker next to them.  The beauty of simplified line art is that it's easy to subvert.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »

My neighbor across the street puts up signs supporting Trump, but it seems as if he does it ONLY to make a point and to be extra-insensitive.  For instance, at the first Women's March, he put up the "We support Trump" signs and another one with a donkey getting fucked (can't remember exactly).  During the March for our Lives protest, he had NRA signs and signs about pulling his guns out of his cold, dead hands.  On Presidents' Day, he flies the Trump Flag.  I usually have groups of people staying in my home during these well-publicized protests, so I think he must do it as his own sort of protest (not against me, personally, but the whole town fills with protestors).  I don't find it threatening at all and I find it easy to laugh it off.    I do not post any political signs in my house or yard, but I always insist that any protestors staying with me pose with their signs in front of the house for posterity, so I'm sure he thinks he knows my political leanings. 

There is a Trump flag? Interesting.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »

Then put a little rainbow flag sticker next to them.  The beauty of simplified line art is that it's easy to subvert.

Ha ha!  Yes, that would be perfect!

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 01:40:32 AM »

It would be perfect, but do be careful. This may not be the type that can take a joke.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:48 AM »
Not a single image, and not socially offensive per se, but I'm sensitive to photos or video of people getting blood drawn.

In real life I have fainted once or twice from a blood draw because my veins are tiny and it can be painful with the wrong technician.  I used to work for a boss who reacted the same way.  One year our company had on-site mini-physicals prior to the annual health insurance renewal, and both of walked into the room only to see multiple employees getting their veins jabbed for blood samples.  No privacy curtains.  Took a deep breath, turned our heads and tried distracting ourselves.
It happens also on TV news, shows, or movies when there's a sudden switch to a medical blood draw scene and I have to cover my eyes or leave the room.   I don't get the same reaction when viewing gory images of war or destruction - it's the blood draw specifically.   Wimpy, I know, but just give me a heads up, please …!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
I find his stick figures to be bizarre. I wouldn’t do anything to poke the bear. He could be unstable.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
Not a single image, and not socially offensive per se, but I'm sensitive to photos or video of people getting blood drawn.

In real life I have fainted once or twice from a blood draw because my veins are tiny and it can be painful with the wrong technician.  I used to work for a boss who reacted the same way.  One year our company had on-site mini-physicals prior to the annual health insurance renewal, and both of walked into the room only to see multiple employees getting their veins jabbed for blood samples.  No privacy curtains.  Took a deep breath, turned our heads and tried distracting ourselves.
It happens also on TV news, shows, or movies when there's a sudden switch to a medical blood draw scene and I have to cover my eyes or leave the room.   I don't get the same reaction when viewing gory images of war or destruction - it's the blood draw specifically.   Wimpy, I know, but just give me a heads up, please …!

It's nothing to be ashamed about  - vasovagal syncope (the clinical term for this sort of thing) affects 2-4% of the global population (or roughly one out of every 20 people)
It's such a common reaction that phlebotomists (people trained to draw blood) receive training for both patients and observers who faint or get woozy at the sight of a blood draw.  I have a rather minor case, despite being the child of medical professionals.  I don't faint but it definitely makes me woozy, whereas I can watch a horror film where someone is getting ripped apart in any number of ways and be fine.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »

It's nothing to be ashamed about  - vasovagal syncope (the clinical term for this sort of thing) affects 2-4% of the global population (or roughly one out of every 20 people)
It's such a common reaction that phlebotomists (people trained to draw blood) receive training for both patients and observers who faint or get woozy at the sight of a blood draw.  I have a rather minor case, despite being the child of medical professionals.  I don't faint but it definitely makes me woozy, whereas I can watch a horror film where someone is getting ripped apart in any number of ways and be fine.
Oh, me too! My mother and grandmother were nurses, but I knew I just couldn't do it. When my first cousin decided to become a nurse, I said "close enough". I just look away, which helps, but if there's a lot of tubes to be filled, I get skitchy. Can't watch injections or incisions either. Thanks for the info, nereo. It's oddly comforting.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 03:32:02 PM »

I'd say it is less than ideal.

The person who was these decals likely isn't doing it simply to express an opinion, they are doing it to get a rise out if people.

Putting additional stickers is exactly the kind of thing that could cause them to escalate; more in your face stickers maybe, an in person confrontation (verbal or physical) its possible, legal issues for defacing private property/vandalism/disorderly conduct could be.

If the owner responds then what, continue to escalate?

My opinion is either leave it be or if it really bothers the OP look to see if it violates some local obscenity laws.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Why would you want to do anything about this? Just be glad this idiot broadly advertises his idiocy so you can avoid him.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 04:13:03 PM »

I cannot help but wonder if you and the owner are viewing this graphic differently. (I still find it in poor taste) I grew up with a group that would find that sticker funny and more of a sarcastic jab at the folks who have stick figure families on their grocery getter or meant to insult those who hold different values than the ones that they have (the same crowd tends to love the calvin urinating on the logo of a different truck brand).

The folks I grew up with wouldn't see any violence against women in the image you describe, but instead would view it as bragging that women prefer "real men" (which they happen to define with all the characteristic the believe they have). They also would interpret women as being attracted to the values they hold (woman "humping" the NRA/pro-gun logo). The only offensive message they would see, and intend, in these sticker is aimed firmly at the people who disagree with them; basically calling you (the disagreeing viewer) less than a real man who members of the opposite sex have no interest in. The Lincoln with guns . . . well I don't know, maybe they just find it cool?

Honestly nothing in your description so far, other than your interpretation, scream rape/violence; not a childish wink when dealing with the topic of sex, not the choice of position, not the woman having an "O face", and not the fact that a woman's hair might become disheveled during the act of sex.

I went so far as to look online for a source of a sticker similar to what you describe (trigger warning: there are stick people engaged in sex, well behind a censor bar, in the following link) and the closest thing I could find is this: https://www.amazon.com/stick-Figure-Families-sticker-censored/dp/B00CFUFM56. Which I simply do not see violence/rape in.

I do not encourage you to engage or spend any of your time thinking any further about this an I certainly do not agree with a need to photograph this item. If it were me, I would try and convince myself that the owner had attributed a different meaning to the images then the one you have, try and put it out of my mind, and go on with my life. Letting it stew in your mind is likely part of the intention of the owner and, based upon the folks I grew up with, any action on your part could be seen as permission to escalate. Again based on the folks I grew up around, if you edit or add stickers or banners to their truck (as suggested in this thread) you better be prepared to find stickers on your car that support positions you disagree with or are simply meant to be offensive.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 04:20:02 PM »

The person who was these decals likely isn't doing it simply to express an opinion, they are doing it to get a rise out if people.

Putting additional stickers is exactly the kind of thing that could cause them to escalate; more in your face stickers maybe, an in person confrontation (verbal or physical) its possible, legal issues for defacing private property/vandalism/disorderly conduct could be.

My opinion is either leave it be or if it really bothers the OP look to see if it violates some local obscenity laws.

I suspect that the person with the stickers on the truck would vehemently argue that they're just there to be funny, not offensive (in fact would argue that anyone offended by them simply didn't have a sense of humour)  . . . and therefore we can surmise that he (it's a dude of course) must really like a laugh and would therefore find the rainbow flag joke funny.

Also, I bet that he would be driving around with the rainbow flag for a few weeks before he noticed . . . and it's not like any lasting or consequential damage would be done to his vehicle by adding yet another sticker.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 04:31:14 PM »

I suspect that the person with the stickers on the truck would vehemently argue that they're just there to be funny, not offensive (in fact would argue that anyone offended by them simply didn't have a sense of humour)  . . . and therefore we can surmise that he (it's a dude of course) must really like a laugh and would therefore find the rainbow flag joke funny.

Also, I bet that he would be driving around with the rainbow flag for a few weeks before he noticed . . . and it's not like any lasting or consequential damage would be done to his vehicle by adding yet another sticker.

I agree they would argue that they are just being funny.

But having grown in the southern U.S. around folks who had all kinds of stickers on their expensive and modified trucks, I can say that they also identified with the positions in those stickers (see my post above) and would be just as likely to find a rainbow sticker funny as they were interpret is as an insult directly aimed at their personal sexuality and not that of a stick figure.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »

But having grown in the southern U.S. around folks who had all kinds of stickers on their expensive and modified trucks, I can say that they also identified with the positions in those stickers (see my post above) and would be just as likely to find a rainbow sticker funny as they were interpret is as an insult directly aimed at their personal sexuality and not that of a stick figure.

I'd expect someone who feels a need to display their masculinity so overtly to be at least bi-curious if not closeted.  And would strongly mention it to them if it ever came up.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

I'd expect someone who feels a need to display their masculinity so overtly to be at least bi-curious if not closeted.  And would strongly mention it to them if it ever came up.

Most of the folks I knew who behaved like that were in a social group that had significant ramification for being gay, whether they were really straight, bi, or closeted adopting a persona of stereotypical hyper masculinity acted as both a defense against those ramification and to prevent them from ever considering their sexuality. I hear that some of them grew up moved away and even came out.

Again, based on my limited life experience, I would be hesitant to suggest to them that they were potentially something other than straight. It puts them in a state of fear; fear of either having their sexuality questioned by their social group or fear of having to examine their own sexuality. With that kind of fear people can react unexpectedly.

Having a couple decades and 1,500 miles separating me from my childhood, perhaps things have changed . . . but that is a situation I would want to put myself in.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »

There is a Trump flag? Interesting.

There certainly is. I pass two (three if I take a slight detour) along my way home from work. For the two I pass, one has a confederate flag above it and one has a confederate flag below it. Perhaps someone could advise me on the flag etiquette of which one should be on top.......

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
There certainly is. I pass two (three if I take a slight detour) along my way home from work. For the two I pass, one has a confederate flag above it and one has a confederate flag below it. Perhaps someone could advise me on the flag etiquette of which one should be on top.......

Kind of depends on that person's political leanings.  Do they support Trump because they love racism, or do they support racism because they love Trump?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »

You are having this conversation because you live in a country that values free speech.  The whole point of having freedom of speech is that you will occasionally run into speech/text etc that you don't like.  If we could outlaw speech that offended us, we wouldn't have freedom of speech.

As a retired military officer I absolutely hate to see someone burning the US Flag.  It enrages me.  That being said, I am glad I live in a country that so highly values freedom of expression that it is legal to burn the flag in protest. 

Last comment.  I have a theory that the number of stickers on the back of a vehicle has a direct correlation to instances and severity of mental illness.  This applies to all portions of the political spectrum. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
You are having this conversation because you live in a country that values free speech.  The whole point of having freedom of speech is that you will occasionally run into speech/text etc that you don't like.  If we could outlaw speech that offended us, we wouldn't have freedom of speech.

Yep. The guy's a tool but it's his right to "speak" like a tool.

Adding a small rainbow sticker is pretty damn funny, though.

Last comment.  I have a theory that the number of stickers on the back of a vehicle has a direct correlation to instances and severity of mental illness.  This applies to all portions of the political spectrum.

...pre-social media display of narcissism?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?

Because your president condones it.  Sadly I think you are in for another 5 years at least.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
I'm also angry because in this day and age, I have to accept that some asshole is walking around thinking that violence against women is funny, and there's either nothing I can do about it, or nothing I can do without fear of reprisal.  It's 2019, why are we still having this conversation?

Because your president condones it.  Sadly I think you are in for another 5 years at least.

The president, with the full support of one of the two major political parties in the US.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
I find truck testicles offensive.   I always have the urge to kick them, but I think it would hurt my foot more than the truck.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »

The president, with the full support of one of the two major political parties in the US.
You are both wrong.  You have to accept someone thinking something and advertising something you don't like because of freedom of speech.  It has nothing to do with political party or presidents.  That being said, one party in particular is trying to place more and more limits on free speech.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
I find truck testicles offensive.   I always have the urge to kick them, but I think it would hurt my foot more than the truck.

ewww!  is that a thing?  I have to admit, I'd laugh at that, but I don't think they would last long in my neighborhood before someone else stole them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »
I see ‘truck-nuts’ from time to time, but I’ve always been a bit unclear about how to interpret them.  I mean, is the driver (almost always a male) saying his genitalia, and by extension his manhood, is tied to his truck?  What if the truck breaks down?  What does a flat tire symbolize then?  And what exactly happened to the penis?  It’s always just testicles... which seem a bit odd, no? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 06:09:13 PM »
I see ‘truck-nuts’ from time to time, but I’ve always been a bit unclear about how to interpret them.  I mean, is the driver (almost always a male) saying his genitalia, and by extension his manhood, is tied to his truck?  What if the truck breaks down?  What does a flat tire symbolize then?  And what exactly happened to the penis?  It’s always just testicles... which seem a bit odd, no?

I've never see them in real life, just on media - my gut reaction is that must have been a painful surgery.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
To me it is just a very literal representation of the inadequacy complex on display, an extension of the big truck itself. An old high school friend of mine dubbed them LPTs: Little Penis Trucks.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
I see ‘truck-nuts’ from time to time, but I’ve always been a bit unclear about how to interpret them. 

They hang under the truck.  The truck is a penis.  They want you to think it makes them manly to have a big faux penis.

I don't think there is any irony in it.  People who hang fake testicles on their trucks are not slyly commenting on the phallic symbolism of big trucks, they just like balls the same way they like big dicks.

edit: embarrassing phone autocorrect typo
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:19:25 AM by sol »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 05:13:15 AM »
I see ‘truck-nuts’ from time to time, but I’ve always been a bit unclear about how to interpret them. 

They hang under the truck.  The truck is a penis. 
Well in that case the testicles are woefully undersized...

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 05:34:38 AM »

They hang under the truck.  The truck is a penis. 
Well in that case the testicles are woefully undersized...

maybe it is an accurate representation of the damage done by steroids? After all the stereotypical truck-nut owner does seem to display roid-range.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
These analyses may each have some truth in them, but I think the thought process for most guys is, "haha, balls" and that's the full extent of it.

And my analysis I just made up is that the truck is like a horse where you can see the testicles from behind.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:00:00 PM by Dabnasty »