Author Topic: "Selfish" crafting over the holidays  (Read 6518 times)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Re: "Selfish" crafting over the holidays
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
I have the opposite of the "gimmiepig" problem. I love knitting, knit well, and use good yarn, but most of the people I love enough to knit for flinch visibly when I offer. And I love them enough not to yarn-bomb them. Knitting for me and DH is all very well, but sometimes I want to make other things just to play with the patterns. Those other things - shawls, scarves, baby garments - get finished off properly, kept in a basket, and donated when an opportunity arises.

This holiday my needles will be clicking away as usual, though unusually I have a knitting request for a cardigan from one of my daughters.

My mom knits (extremely well).  We have different styles, so a sweater she would love to knit might not be something I'd love to wear.  I don't really use scarves unless I'm at work, doing outside rounds, so a pretty scarf would be wasted.  She did make a hat I can wear under my hard hat, and that was perfect, but I can only really use so many.  Then she made some fingerless gloves (again, for work, again, only so many I can use).  Then she started knitting socks.  I love them!!!  I can never have too many of her hand knit socks.  And, if they ever get a hole (only a couple have so far), they are worth darning.

She taught me how to knit them this summer (had never knitted before).  So, now I can knit my own.  My dad made the comment that now my mom would have to come up with a new "go-to present" for me, since I wouldn't need the socks anymore.  I told him that no, I could never have too many "mom socks", so it's still the perfect gift for me.  I've quit buying regular socks, and these are almost all I wear (even in summer).

She keeps to one pattern, because it fits all the requirements, so she changes it up by using different colors of yarn/different self-patterning yarn.

So, have you tried socks? ;)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
I have the opposite of the "gimmiepig" problem. I love knitting, knit well, and use good yarn, but most of the people I love enough to knit for flinch visibly when I offer. And I love them enough not to yarn-bomb them. Knitting for me and DH is all very well, but sometimes I want to make other things just to play with the patterns. Those other things - shawls, scarves, baby garments - get finished off properly, kept in a basket, and donated when an opportunity arises.

This holiday my needles will be clicking away as usual, though unusually I have a knitting request for a cardigan from one of my daughters.

Are there non-profits nearby where you can donate needed items? For example, my sisters were in a knitting club that worked with a local hospital to donate knitted caps/booties to newborn as, scarves for a homeless shelter, etc. You work off a pattern/specifications, but you can still have some fun with colour. I’ve also found that it helps when I tell someone I want to knit/crochet something for them and then let them choose the pattern and yarn.

I'm sure there are, and one day I'll find one that catches my imagination enough to make me want to knit for them.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »

My mom knits (extremely well).  We have different styles, so a sweater she would love to knit might not be something I'd love to wear.  I don't really use scarves unless I'm at work, doing outside rounds, so a pretty scarf would be wasted.  She did make a hat I can wear under my hard hat, and that was perfect, but I can only really use so many.  Then she made some fingerless gloves (again, for work, again, only so many I can use).  Then she started knitting socks.  I love them!!!  I can never have too many of her hand knit socks.  And, if they ever get a hole (only a couple have so far), they are worth darning.

She taught me how to knit them this summer (had never knitted before).  So, now I can knit my own.  My dad made the comment that now my mom would have to come up with a new "go-to present" for me, since I wouldn't need the socks anymore.  I told him that no, I could never have too many "mom socks", so it's still the perfect gift for me.  I've quit buying regular socks, and these are almost all I wear (even in summer).

She keeps to one pattern, because it fits all the requirements, so she changes it up by using different colors of yarn/different self-patterning yarn.

So, have you tried socks? ;)

I've knitted lots of socks. They're very pretty things, but not of any great interest to the kidults (I don't even wear the ones I made for myself all that much). Likewise hats and neckwear. As you suggest, where sweaters are concerned one person's pride and joy is another person's nightmare.

At the moment I'm trying to start a trend for wearing handknit sweaters as winter running and cycling kit.

Really, though, I'm just a process knitter and would probably be quite content with two skeins of yarn in different colours which I could knit and unravel repeatedly forever.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »

Are there non-profits nearby where you can donate needed items? For example, my sisters were in a knitting club that worked with a local hospital to donate knitted caps/booties to newborn as, scarves for a homeless shelter, etc. You work off a pattern/specifications, but you can still have some fun with colour. I’ve also found that it helps when I tell someone I want to knit/crochet something for them and then let them choose the pattern and yarn.

I'm sure there are, and one day I'll find one that catches my imagination enough to make me want to knit for them.

There's Project Linus, if you ever make blankets.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
I bought myself a candy making set as an early Christmas present, and am having great fun. So far I’ve made two pound of green apple taste (half in the shape of lollipops), and a pound of red aniseed liquorice. I wasn’t so fond of the latter, but DH liked them. Next will be some sort of mixed colors, probably peppermint sticks.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
I bought myself a candy making set as an early Christmas present, and am having great fun. So far I’ve made two pound of green apple taste (half in the shape of lollipops), and a pound of red aniseed liquorice. I wasn’t so fond of the latter, but DH liked them. Next will be some sort of mixed colors, probably peppermint sticks.

That sounds fun!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
Somehow my "selfish crafting" turned into... I volunteered myself to "adopt a table" at the junior high winter formal in early Jan.

So, my kids go to lower income schools.

The junior high formal is entirely put on by parents and teachers.
We donate the food. (I'm already signed up for gluten free cookies and a savory snack)
We decorate the hall.

By "adopting a table", it means that we provide:
10 place settings (plate, glass, fork, knife, spoon, cloth napkin)
Round tablecloth
Centerpiece
Table # placard
Place cards with student names

Because the kids have been taking ballroom dancing, and there's a dress code, they don't want disposable products.  Also, there's no kitchen.

So that means I'll have to arrive early to set up my specific table with the tableware.  Because there's no kitchen, we bring the dirty items home to wash.  I've been assured that it's okay if everything doesn't "match" (good, because in 22 years of marriage, nothing matches).  I have a choice - Corelle or wedding china.  It's going to be Corelle.  We have a new set that is green and blue.  Not particularly wintery, but also not paper.  We have some really cool dark green glasses with bubbles - the table will get half those and half plain glass drinking glasses.

I think they want us to bring white Christmas lights to decorate the hall too.  We have one strand.

So here's what I've been doing:
Right now I'm painstakingly making 10-11 cloth napkins.  Half in a light blue/ silver/ black leaf pattern with snowflakes.  Wintery.  Half dark green with silver sparkles.
I'm also working on the centerpiece.  It's going to be a mason jar with some sort of bead or rock to weigh it down (I wonder where our old fish bowl rocks went?) with a silver branch.  I've made 5-6 crocheted snowflakes to hang on the branches and 4-5 hanging beaded decorations (with the idea that I don't care if the centerpiece doesn't come home).  Do I make something for underneath the mason jar?  TBD.  (I mean, I'm a DIY engineer...I'm crafty, but not fancy or arty.)

These napkins are a killer.  Just so many at once.

I *DID* make myself an elf hat this weekend. That's my selfish crafting.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
mm1970, yay for the selfish crafting elf hat.  That is fun!

Kudos for all the effort you are putting in to making "your" table so gorgeous.  And the napkins sound lovely, do we get a picture whenever?

Bussing the table - can you provide cheap plastic dish tubs for the dirty dishes to go into?  Our Dollarama sells them for $3  and 4 would hold all the dishes and cutlery.  Or an otherwise unused cooler would work too.  Anything that makes it easy to clear the table and get the dirty dishes home.   ;-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
Napkins

I only did one with that fancy stitch and silver thread.  It was a pain.  The rest are straight stitch with regular thread.

I'll try to remember to take a phone on actual dance night, after everything is set up.  Good idea on the cooler.  I think my husband already has a big plastic tub in mind for delivery.  I hope it's not too heavy.  Our glasses are on the heavy side.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »
Pretty fabric!  A picture of the table in all its glory would be wonderful come prom night.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
@mm1970 Tealights are always pretty. Put them in the fish bowl on top of the rocks. Or “sprinkle” them around the table under the silver branches. The silver will catch and reflect the light, making the branches really shimmer. Plus if the room is dark, the lights will serve a practical purpose so people can see their food. Get the cheap LED tea lights, not real ones that can set things on fire.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »
Finished crocheting a winter toque/beanie for our helper today. Decided to stick a giant furry pompom on top to give it some pizzazz.

I’m working on a mini version for DD now. The exciting thing is that I discovered a stash of yarn that is merino wool from Italy. I was gifted it by a friend who was moving away. DD is going to have a wonderfully soft and high end toque for her 4-year-old head! :P

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
Finished crocheting a winter toque/beanie for our helper today. Decided to stick a giant furry pompom on top to give it some pizzazz.

I’m working on a mini version for DD now. The exciting thing is that I discovered a stash of yarn that is merino wool from Italy. I was gifted it by a friend who was moving away. DD is going to have a wonderfully soft and high end toque for her 4-year-old head! :P

Ooo, merino, lucky DD.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »
In the end, I didn't get to do much selfish crafting over the holidays. I did get into several fights with my sewing machine though.....

I have decided I will do something really unmustachian and order new yarn for new crochet and knitting projects. I hardly ever buy new supplies, but I'm going to crochet an old-fashioned white throw for the bed and knit myself an Icelandic sweater. I've always loved Scandi sweater patterns and a friend of mine wore a super comfy looking sweater when I met up with him last week. I know a lady who runs a small independent Scandi knitting shop and I will buy from her.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
Making slow but steady progress on my sewing project and will be replacing my thimble so I can restart my embroidery

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
I've had surprisingly little time to knit during this holiday week but I did finish the body and start the first sleeve on husband's sweater. I'm looking forward to having my normal schedule back because it's easier to schedule in an hour of craft time here and there. My mom and I are planning to go to a knitting circle event at one of the local metroparks in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it; the nature center has a really pretty room with a fireplace and big windows overlooking the river.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 05:18:25 AM »
I've had surprisingly little time to knit during this holiday week but I did finish the body and start the first sleeve on husband's sweater. I'm looking forward to having my normal schedule back because it's easier to schedule in an hour of craft time here and there. My mom and I are planning to go to a knitting circle event at one of the local metroparks in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it; the nature center has a really pretty room with a fireplace and big windows overlooking the river.

@OtherJen That sounds heavenly! I’d love to crochet or knit in a cozy room overlooking a river!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
Sadly I didn't get as much knitting done as I'd hoped.  It didn't help that the pattern I chose has a lot of cables to start off with and I'm REALLY slow doing cables.  So far I'm 3/4 done with the collar for a Harley sweater: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/harley-3

At this rate, I might be done by next Christmas :)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
I finished my sketchbooks, after I tidy up the studio, I will make the beeswax wraps. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
Sadly I didn't get as much knitting done as I'd hoped.  It didn't help that the pattern I chose has a lot of cables to start off with and I'm REALLY slow doing cables.  So far I'm 3/4 done with the collar for a Harley sweater: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/harley-3

Oooh, thaat's pretty, I love the neck. Practice makes perfect, with all those cables, you should be super good at them by February!   ;-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

What a beautiful pattern! It looks like it's knit from the top-down in one piece (my favorite type because I HATE seaming). Definitely saving this pattern.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »

What a beautiful pattern! It looks like it's knit from the top-down in one piece (my favorite type because I HATE seaming). Definitely saving this pattern.

Yep, on the top down.  I lusted after this pattern since it came out and I saw it in a KnitPicks catalog but the cables scared me.  I've gotten a lot braver since then and the pattern was on sale for $1 before Christmas...so I figured what the hell.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »

I love that sweater!  It almost makes me want to learn to knit more than socks :)  But, I'd also want to lose a lot of weight first so that it wouldn't take me as long to knit :P

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »

I love that sweater!  It almost makes me want to learn to knit more than socks :)  But, I'd also want to lose a lot of weight first so that it wouldn't take me as long to knit :P

Honestly knitting a sweater isn't much harder than knitting socks or mittens.  It's just increases and decreases.  The hardest part is figuring out what size to knit so it fits the way you want.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
I actually think knitting socks is one of the hardest things. Socks almost always end up being a bit wonky in one place or another, but I've succesfully done a lot of cables and lacework. Both are just a matter of counting.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!