Author Topic: "Selfish" crafting over the holidays  (Read 6519 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
"Selfish" crafting over the holidays
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
This thread arose from a discussion over on Relatives who just don't get it.

It is for all of us who will be doing something crafty and relaxing and basically for our own enjoyment over the holidays.  Not crafty as in making gifts or decorations, crafty as in we will sit and enjoy the fire (or the flickering fire image on the TV screen) and relax and knit or sew or crochet or do whatever our hearts desire.

You can post plans now, or wait until the seasonal excitement is over and post what you did craft-wise to relax and maintain your sanity.

I'll star the ball rolling.   Right now I am weaving a holiday strap for my mandolin, Christmas red and sparkling white.

I will be super busy the first few weeks of December and then things ease up.  I want to start some dish towels on my new (to me) loom then.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Selfish" crafting over the holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread!  It reminds me that I should give myself "permission" to start a project I've been longing to do for years.  Over a decade ago, I asked for and received a copy of Norsk Strikkedesign, and bought a kit for one of the sweaters.  Probably over $200 spent!  And the kit has sat in my closet since then. 

I do have many people to knit and sew for in less than a month, but perhaps it's time to at least open the page to the pattern, decide on size, find the needles, and cast on.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
Making samples to get my hand back in.

Embroidering a complete set of bed furnishings for my half tester.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
I don't have a project planned yet, but I really want to start one once I've gotten the holiday situation under control.  I haven't had a project just for myself/for fun in a while.  I've been very busy, but that's just not the same.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
Glad to have people thinking about this!

For those times when you feel overwhelmed by other peoples' requests, or you have a bad case of the "shoulds", may I recommend https://www.ravelry.com/groups/selfish-knitters--crocheters ?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
Well I guess my crafts don't technically fit the topic, since I will be crafting christmas tree ornaments. But I'm very excited to be spending my first Christmas with my partner in our own place and we will be getting a tree and decorating it with homemade crafts made with our families. So it fits my definition of selfish crafting because we're doing it for ourselves, and I'm really looking forward to it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
🤣 at that Ravelry group! I once hand-knitted an adorable sweater for a new baby. I got absolutely no acknowledgement from the parents. After that, I only gave store-bought clothing to that child and her little sister. No sense wasting the effort.

By Christmas, I will hopefully have finished mom’s new scarf (she’s a very gracious recipient so I’m happy to do it). I have enough yarn in my stash and selected patterns to make four sweaters and will hopefully be able to cast on one of those as a Christmas present to myself.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »
Well I guess my crafts don't technically fit the topic, since I will be crafting christmas tree ornaments. But I'm very excited to be spending my first Christmas with my partner in our own place and we will be getting a tree and decorating it with homemade crafts made with our families. So it fits my definition of selfish crafting because we're doing it for ourselves, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Selfish crafting is anything we are making because we want to make it, we aren't being pressured into making it.  Welcome!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 04:08:08 AM »
Crocheting a cardigan for myself. Just finished the body. Working on the collar now. Then I just have to do the sleeves and I’ll have a warm, soft, and therapeutically weighted cardigan.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »
I have been working on a giant paper piecing project for a few years (2 inch hexagons, scraps of fabric, all hand sewn together into a 2m x 2m quilt top ) and between Christmas and NYE I plan to spend a few days binge watching Netflix and hopefully finishing the top.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »
I belong to that group on Rav (also LSG :) ).  I am working on cross-stitch ornaments for my friends (they love Hell's Kitchen and wanted them to say things like "It's Raw!", "Piss Off!", etc. so I was happy to oblige), so when those are done I am going to learn enterlac as I want to make a bedspread and pillows.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 05:01:15 AM »
I'll also be making a batch of these seven-layer cookies shortly before Christmas. Sure, I'll end up sharing them with others, but I'm making them solely for the fun of it. I'm super excited to make these again; I already bought almond paste and a new set of quarter-sheet pans on a Black Friday sale.

I think the only holiday food I'm baking upon request this year is a cheesecake (MIL's favorite); otherwise, I'll choose cookie and candy recipes based on what looks most fun to make.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 05:44:36 AM »
I'll also be making a batch of these seven-layer cookies shortly before Christmas. Sure, I'll end up sharing them with others, but I'm making them solely for the fun of it. I'm super excited to make these again; I already bought almond paste and a new set of quarter-sheet pans on a Black Friday sale.

I think the only holiday food I'm baking upon request this year is a cheesecake (MIL's favorite); otherwise, I'll choose cookie and candy recipes based on what looks most fun to make.

Those cookies look amazing!!!! Let us know if they taste equally good?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:04:58 AM »

Those cookies look amazing!!!! Let us know if they taste equally good?

I made them last year, and yes, they taste as good as they look. They are entirely worth the effort. Even my picky niece and nephew loved them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »
Does tinkering in the garage with a beer/coffee/spiced cider close at hand, favorite tunes on and the electric space heater purring away count?

If so I have a number of mechanical projects to focus on.  Mostly amounts to finding cause, taking something apart, cleaning/repainting/relubing, reassembly.

Keeps repair costs down, a few hours out of the house so I'm not under foot too much, and satisfies my engineer brain.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Does tinkering in the garage with a beer/coffee/spiced cider close at hand, favorite tunes on and the electric space heater purring away count?

If so I have a number of mechanical projects to focus on.  Mostly amounts to finding cause, taking something apart, cleaning/repainting/relubing, reassembly.

Keeps repair costs down, a few hours out of the house so I'm not under foot too much, and satisfies my engineer brain.

Of course it counts!!!  As long as you are having fun and doing what you want and resisting the people who want you to do that for them ( the ones commonly referred to as gimmepigs).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
My mom taught me how to knit socks this August (I had never knit before).  So, I made myself a few and then, once I was confident that I'd do a good job (matching stripes, not having big gaps when I continued after making the heel, etc), I knit a pair for her for Christmas.  She already has 100+ that she has knit for herself (and she has knit and given away more than that to others), but I know these will be special to her, since I made them :)  She's waited almost 40 years for me to learn and enjoy her hobbies, and she "brags" at work (she works in a fabric/craft store).

Anyway, her pair are done.  So now I just sit and knit more for myself :)

I want to start on a blue and white quilt for my own bed (I've only been quilting 2 1/2 years, and most of the quilts I've made have been for charity).  I have the fabric (a blue "layer cake" and white squares I cut for myself) and the book (I'm using a "layer cake recipe book" for this quilt).  I also want to start hand quilting a quilt top my great-grandfather made.  That one's going to take me a little while; so many little squares!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
Gimmepigs are easy to handle. Just make it clear that whatever task they present requires their participation to complete. 

A six pack of beer does not equal a weekend of my work except for a specific group of people.

I'm exaggerating for humor's sake...

I love to HELP. I don't want to do their chores though. Also don't want to do their "homework".

Gifts are a whole different category. I love putting in a bunch of hours to make a gift.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:28:04 PM by Just Joe »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »
Gimmepigs are easy to handle. Just make it clear that whatever task they present requires their participation to complete. 

A six pack of beer does not equal a weekend of my work except for a specific group of people.

I'm exaggerating for humor's sake...

I love to HELP. I don't want to do their chores though. Also don't want to do their "homework".

Gifts are a whole different category. I love putting in a bunch of hours to make a gift.

You want a quilt?  Come hang out with me on Mondays and "the gals" and I will teach you how to make them!  (I'm not yet 40, and still working, but I meet with a group of women at the Senior Center every Monday I have off work).

Want a pair of socks?  What will you do for me that will take you 35 hours of your time?

I'd be all about trades :)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
DH and I have been melting aluminum and pouring it into muffin tins.  We are trying to move up to molding.  If we get some warm dry spells, we might get the foundry up and running again over the holidays.  All the stuff we have been making is going in a pile or to DHs desk at work.  He like to look at the dinosaurs we made. 

I love the term gimmiepigs, HA!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
I have to admit that the term gimmiepig is not my invention.  I do love it though.

Great to see so many crafting activities being done for the love of the craft.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 08:47:40 AM »
DH and I have been melting aluminum and pouring it into muffin tins.  We are trying to move up to molding.  If we get some warm dry spells, we might get the foundry up and running again over the holidays.  All the stuff we have been making is going in a pile or to DHs desk at work.  He like to look at the dinosaurs we made. 

If you have access to CAD and a 3D printer you can print up molds to press into the sand, remove and then pour a metal of your choice in the sand. Some very complex shapes are possible. For deep molds absolutely don't forget the draft! The draft! The DRAFT. My foundry professor really pressed that detail in my brain and now so many years later I've forgotten most of the topic (never used) except draft. He was my favorite professor start to finish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(engineering)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:24:03 AM by Just Joe »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
I have no idea! I like making ornaments (quilted and snowflakes).

I will probably try my hand at some gluten free baking, since I'm tired of spending $$ and wasting plastic on buying the stuff.

I have some quilts that I've started and maybe will finish.  Same with an afghan.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
I started a new sweater over Thanksgiving with the intentions of having a leisurely holiday season knitting.  LOL then everything went sideways last week.  The Christmas tree that I was building went horribly wrong.  My SO wound up in the hospital(unrelated to the tree incident).  Everything I was working on at work went to shit and my 1yr old bed sheets developed a ever growing hole.  My bed is my happy place when life sucks and the hole is making it not so happy.  So after I track down some decent sheets to buy, I'm going to hibernate for the rest of the holidays and just knit. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
One thing I love about knitting socks is that it it so portable.  I keep a bag in the car and another at home (that I take to work).  I need to make a third bag to just leave at work.

Today I went and hand my tires changed (free), and just worked on some knitting while I waited (lucked out and was in and out in about 20 minutes after coming in earlier to get a number to hold a place in the line).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »
One thing I love about knitting socks is that it it so portable.  I keep a bag in the car and another at home (that I take to work).  I need to make a third bag to just leave at work.

Today I went and hand my tires changed (free), and just worked on some knitting while I waited (lucked out and was in and out in about 20 minutes after coming in earlier to get a number to hold a place in the line).

It's winter, you must feel so much safer with good tires on.

I always take knitting when I am having my car serviced.  Or anyplace else I will have to wait.  Plain vanilla socks, no increases or decreases about to happen.  It makes waiting tolerable.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

It's winter, you must feel so much safer with good tires on.

I always take knitting when I am having my car serviced.  Or anyplace else I will have to wait.  Plain vanilla socks, no increases or decreases about to happen.  It makes waiting tolerable.

I do!  We get black ice, thick ice, slippery ice, bumpy ice, ice hidden under fluffy snow, ice on top of compacted snow...  If it was just snow, it wouldn't be so bad.

I keep a photo of the pattern (and my notes, since I can't read a pattern.  I'll I've ever knitted are socks.) on my phone.  So if I get far enough to need to go to the next step, I can do it.  I bought a little hand tally counter so that I don't lose the number of rows I've done if I stop in the middle of the heel.  I use a plain, simple pattern and just change up the yarn to make each pair different. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
We put up our Christmas tree today. Our ornaments were looking a bit sparse, so DD and I decided to make a few felt owl ornaments for the tree. They turned out really well and didn’t take too long to make. I used leftover felt I had lying around. Our tree is now decorated predominantly with handmade crochet and felt ornaments since DD broke all the other cheap purchase ornaments over the past couple years (I guess that’s too be expected of two and three year olds).

Now it’s back to crocheting my cardigan.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
I’m pretty housebound these days, so I’m using up my many, many piles of leftover sockyarn, making fingerless mittens for whomever wants them at my church’s food pantry, and socks for my favorite little toddler guy. It’s great mindless knitting.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
I’m pretty housebound these days, so I’m using up my many, many piles of leftover sockyarn, making fingerless mittens for whomever wants them at my church’s food pantry, and socks for my favorite little toddler guy. It’s great mindless knitting.

Ooo, that's great (not the housebound, the knitting).  How do you make the stripes (I am assuming stripes with leftover bits) come out even?  Two at a time so you run out of yarn and start another stripe at the same place on both?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »
I do usually knit TAAT on double points so I can even up the stripes. But sometimes I just collect a bunch of bits in the same color range and don’t worry about it. It looks surprisingly okay.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »
I finished the mandolin strap - including all the finishing details.  I've been practicing with the strap on the mandolin, and it is so much easier when I am not having to hold on to it to keep it in position.  I should have started using a strap years ago!  I can see many more straps being done on my inkle loom, one for every occasion.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »

If you have access to CAD and a 3D printer you can print up molds to press into the sand, remove and then pour a metal of your choice in the sand. Some very complex shapes are possible. For deep molds absolutely don't forget the draft! The draft! The DRAFT. My foundry professor really pressed that detail in my brain and now so many years later I've forgotten most of the topic (never used) except draft. He was my favorite professor start to finish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(engineering)

@Just Joe No access to either.  Right now everything is junk being re-purposed, beer cans (from a friend), bricks from an old firepit, stainless steel bowls and muffin tins for melting and casting, and a frame DH made from scrap wood that we having tried yet. 

LV

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
Congrats, @RetiredAt63 !

I’m about halfway done with the body of husband’s sweater, and it looks like it will fit correctly. I’m happy because it’s a fairly simple and satisfying project (well-written pattern and good yarn). He’s happy because he likes the color and because nobody’s ever knit him a sweater before. Win-win.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 06:18:23 AM »
I finished my giant cardigan. It feels like I’m wearing a blanket. Like a Snuggie but cooler-looking. Now I’m crocheting a mini-version for DD in a cute pink yarn that I got for free from a friend who was leaving the country and offloading her yarn.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »
I finished my giant cardigan. It feels like I’m wearing a blanket. Like a Snuggie but cooler-looking. Now I’m crocheting a mini-version for DD in a cute pink yarn that I got for free from a friend who was leaving the country and offloading her yarn.

Yay for you!!!!  It's winter, giant blanket cardigans are GOOD!!!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:56 AM »
I’m nearly done with the body on husband’s sweater (no time to knit for a few days). Sleeves shouldn’t take long. I ended up frogging mom’s scarf because I was increasingly bored and unhappy with the pattern; fortunately, she’s excited about the yarn itself and prospect of a scarf (rather than a specific pattern) so I can choose something more fun and less tedious.

I’ve asked for a copy of Hannah Fettig’s “Home and Away” book for Christmas and should have enough yarn to knit the Lesley sweater, which has been on my list for a year. I might at least do the cast-on to celebrate Christmas.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
My short term goal this holiday is to craft a cleaner garage. Then back to other projects in said garage.

Would someone please donate a couple mild December days around Christmas so I can work with the garage door open? I'll gladly pay the postage.

Its mild today but I need to be at work... ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
I’m nearly done with the body on husband’s sweater (no time to knit for a few days). Sleeves shouldn’t take long. I ended up frogging mom’s scarf because I was increasingly bored and unhappy with the pattern; fortunately, she’s excited about the yarn itself and prospect of a scarf (rather than a specific pattern) so I can choose something more fun and less tedious.

I’ve asked for a copy of Hannah Fettig’s “Home and Away” book for Christmas and should have enough yarn to knit the Lesley sweater, which has been on my list for a year. I might at least do the cast-on to celebrate Christmas.

The Lesley sweater looks like a classic, gorgeous, have fun with it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
My short term goal this holiday is to craft a cleaner garage. Then back to other projects in said garage.

Would someone please donate a couple mild December days around Christmas so I can work with the garage door open? I'll gladly pay the postage.

Its mild today but I need to be at work... ;)

Crafting a cleaner garage doesn't count unless you make things to make it cleaner.  Tidying/decluttering are a different topic.   Sorry, but I am the rule enforcer here.     ;-)

My garage needs work too, a few mild days any time would be most welcome.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »
I might make a couple of fabric boxes for tablets and phones charging. We are currently using books as stands for these things so the finish on the bench doesn’t get damaged.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2018, 12:06:53 PM »
Okay - to satisfy the rulebook I'll craft a better broom and dustpan. The fourth prototype shouldn't take much beyond Spring... ;)

(cue music) All I want for Christmas is... two 50F dry days...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:08:33 PM by Just Joe »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
Okay - to satisfy the rulebook I'll craft a better broom and dustpan. The fourth prototype shouldn't take much beyond Spring... ;)

(cue music) All I want for Christmas is... two 50F dry days...

If you come up with a really good broom and dustpan, we want pictures and instructions on construction.   ;-)

50F? That is being greedy.  I would settle for +2Cwith sunshine.  36F?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
I had almost 60F yesterday but dang it, had to work. Today is in the mid-50s but its raining. Maybe Sunday it'll dry up.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
I am going to make at least two new sketchbooks.

I am also going to try my hand at mkaing those beeswax impregnated cloth cling film alternatives.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 04:48:30 AM »
Finished a big cozy cardigan for DD. she saw mine and wanted one as well. Next up, a beret for our part-time nanny who saw the free yarn I received and asked for a hat. Not really “selfish”, but I don’t mind making one for her. I’ve never made one before but found a free pattern online. If it works out, I will selfishly craft one for myself.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:12 AM »
I made a whole bunch of really nice ornaments for the tree, I'm so happy with how it turned out. The tree looks great and most of them should last years. Plus it was super fun making them with family and everyone was so creative. Success!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
Got the first stage of the seven-layer bars done. Last Christmas, husband gave me a second bowl for my KitchenAid mixer, and that made the job so much easier. After an overnight rest, I'll add and score the top and bottom chocolate layers and finally cut the bars.

These would be such a hassle if I didn't truly enjoy the process. At one point, a corner of my kitchen was covered in bits of almond paste, I had to scrub natural green pigment spots off of my sink, and somehow I managed to get apricot jam on both my phone and tablet despite not touching either while working.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »
I have the opposite of the "gimmiepig" problem. I love knitting, knit well, and use good yarn, but most of the people I love enough to knit for flinch visibly when I offer. And I love them enough not to yarn-bomb them. Knitting for me and DH is all very well, but sometimes I want to make other things just to play with the patterns. Those other things - shawls, scarves, baby garments - get finished off properly, kept in a basket, and donated when an opportunity arises.

This holiday my needles will be clicking away as usual, though unusually I have a knitting request for a cardigan from one of my daughters.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
I have the opposite of the "gimmiepig" problem. I love knitting, knit well, and use good yarn, but most of the people I love enough to knit for flinch visibly when I offer. And I love them enough not to yarn-bomb them. Knitting for me and DH is all very well, but sometimes I want to make other things just to play with the patterns. Those other things - shawls, scarves, baby garments - get finished off properly, kept in a basket, and donated when an opportunity arises.

This holiday my needles will be clicking away as usual, though unusually I have a knitting request for a cardigan from one of my daughters.

Are there non-profits nearby where you can donate needed items? For example, my sisters were in a knitting club that worked with a local hospital to donate knitted caps/booties to newborn as, scarves for a homeless shelter, etc. You work off a pattern/specifications, but you can still have some fun with colour. I’ve also found that it helps when I tell someone I want to knit/crochet something for them and then let them choose the pattern and yarn.