Author Topic: "Humble" brags  (Read 2131 times)

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Humble" brags
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
I am in a mood so take this with a grain of salt and a shot of -----.

I am referring to no one in particular, but reading posts here sometimes and on Bogleheads, I want to punch folks just for their "humble" brags.  I quote the humble because I don't actually believe their feedback requests are actually in earnest and really want validating.  Which is fine, but dammit say it.  I know I am being judge-y, but f---, own your s----.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: "Humble" brags
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
The humble in Humble Brags doesn't really need quotation marks because the ulterior meaning is implied :)

This forum is a safe place to brag about achievements that you otherwise couldn't in the real world.

Validation is supposed to come from within, but I still post things here because it's nice to get some positive feedback from others once in a while.

Others success doesn't mean you've lost anything. Celebrate others success and they'll do the same for you.

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:41 AM »
Maybe I was unclear.  I take no issue with being proud of one's accomplishments and sharing one's pride about it.  I do have an issue, for some reason where my eyes automatically roll, when I read posts where "I'm 10 and have only saved $132,000,  What can I do to improve?"  I exaggerate, but I also call bullsh#t.  THAT person doesn't actually want help, in my snarky not humble opinion, they want validation and praise and attention and and and.

Totally off topic and related to nothing or anyone in particular.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
On Weddingbee, the classic humble brag is "my 3 carat diamond is beautiful and has perfect specs, but do you think it looks too big for my [small, delicate, and beautiful] hand?"

Hahaha, and barf.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:44:34 PM by iris lily »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
Well I'm 9 years old and I have more than $132,000.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:35:03 AM »

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 01:52:35 AM »
On Weddingbee, the classic humble brag is "my 3 carat diamond is beautiful and has perfect specs,  ut do,you think it the s too big for my [small, delicate, and beautiful] hand?"

Hahaha, and barf.

Yup.  That's IT in one of many iterations.  Barf while I punch you in the throat (thought in my head, of course).

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:56:48 AM »
I am not super fancy, sorry for the multiple posts--

How can one not love Avon?  Though Omar was my favorite.

Dragoncar--thanks for the laughs.  Really, thank you!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »
Just saw one on fb yesterday.  Someone was complaining about college students on spring break and how noisy they are.  She told them to be quiet because her son is sleeping.  They said "you look good to have a kid".

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!