Author Topic: The Charmed Life of a Thankful Investor  (Read 4393 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The Charmed Life of a Thankful Investor
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:50 AM »
Tyler has a lot of good asset allocation commentary over at Portfolio Charts, but this recent post about being thankful really spoke to me.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2017/11/20/the-charmed-life-of-a-thankful-investor/

Totally fits the outrageous optimism we should all be practicing.

Enjoy! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
Re: The Charmed Life of a Thankful Investor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Thank you for the link, arebelspy, puts things in perspective.

People who avoid investing, and rely entirely on working for their livelihood, also run risks. They might get laid off, or have a prolonged illness, or be disabled in an accident.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
Thanks for posting.  The part where they say: "Rationalizing increasingly risky investments for the prospect of incremental luxuries seems completely unnecessary because you are thankful for the simple things in life that truly make you happy and cost very little" is straight out of the Mustachian playbook.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
Thanks for posting.  The part where they say: "Rationalizing increasingly risky investments for the prospect of incremental luxuries seems completely unnecessary because you are thankful for the simple things in life that truly make you happy and cost very little" is straight out of the Mustachian playbook.

It so happens the author of that blog posts brilliant insights on these forums as well. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
The MMM-inspired language in that post is definitely no accident. ;)

I'll also add that I'm thankful for communities like this one where people group together to teach, help, and encourage one another.  If I can one day give back through my writing even half as much as I have received in places like these forums, I'll consider my little Portfolio Charts side venture a success. 

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »
Really enjoyed your article Tyler!! A friend shared it with me earlier today (not sure if she found it here or through your site.) I then passed it on to Mr. HH.

I very much enjoy not watching the news and wondering how it is going effect my investments. Makes life so much more peaceful!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
Really enjoyed the post linked, and also the article about the Ulcer Index (very informative).  Thanks for both, Tyler.