Author Topic: Would you rather be a billionaire in 1916, or an average American today?  (Read 5887 times)

Cranky

• Pencil Stache
I don't think you would miss the internet or cable tv if you'd never had it. LOL

Honestly, my grandparents got married in 1920. They were prosperous, but not billionaires, by far. They had someone who came to the house to do the laundry, they had a full time gardener, they had a car (and by the time my mother was born, they had two, because my grandmother had her own car.) They had electricity, and a furnace, and they went to the dentist. They took vacations.

I think some people are confusing 1916 with 1816...

Now, my dad's family was really poor, and it was certainly a crappy time to be poor.

stoaX

• Bristles
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
I choose today because if I chose 1916 I'd be dead now.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Would you rather be a billionaire in 1916, or an average American today?
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 05:59:56 AM »
I don't think you would miss the internet or cable tv if you'd never had it. LOL

I remember the days of not having internet. I really missed not having an encyclopedia at home, like so many other people had. :-)
And it was really difficult to find out stuff about other places, like gathering information about emigration to another country.

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »
any year before end of WWI and SPanish Flu is a roll of the dice.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
I choose today because if I chose 1916 I'd be dead now.

Agreed - so would I.  Was a preemie baby so would have likely died then.  I've also had a heart attack, so that would have definitely finished me off in 1916.

Also, my daughter also had a difficult birth and that would have likely killed both her and her mother (my wife) at that time. 

So I'll take average American now vs billionaire in 1916 with me and my entire family dead.
Frugalite in training.