Author Topic: Unexpected Ways to Save With Library Resources  (Read 3683 times)

haflander

• Bristles
Unexpected Ways to Save With Library Resources
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »
I visit The Billfold occasionally. It leans more LBYM and seems to be a lot of millennials just trying to spend less and get out from under their student loans.

Anyway, it goes into detail about all of the other things libraries offer that you may not have thought of...online subscriptions (eg, Consumer Reports), tools, gear, Kanopy (streaming service), museum passes. Browse your library's site or talk to a librarian!

https://www.thebillfold.com/2018/05/using-the-library-to-cut-costs-in-unexpected-ways/

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Unexpected Ways to Save With Library Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Wow. I had no idea some libraries loan such a variety of "stuff." My local library was recently remodeled, and I still need to check it out.

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:01 AM »
Libraries really are the best.  In addition to the physical resources, I use their audiobook download all the time!

BTW- our library automatically calculates how much money you save by borrowing books/videos/etc. and puts it on your reciept each time you check something out.  Granted, they take the list price, but by that metric I save a few thousand a year!  Plus I get to talk to some really great people.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »
I’ve been using their Libby (formerly Overdrive) to read e-books. I’ve read more in the past 2 weeks then the previous 4 months! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secret Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:33:43 AM »
Our Library is awesome.  You can check out iPads, Kindles, Roku's, Kill-a-Watt's, Speck air quality monitors, wifi hotspot devices, baking pans, science experiment kits, crafting kits, knitting needles, puzzles, games, play totes with fun stuff for kids, and ukuleles.  They also have a 3d printer available for use.

They have home delivery for the elderly or homebound, legal assistance, and text notification for when stuff is due or ready to pick up.

Its tough though because my kid throws a fit every time we have to leave

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
The local library in Monroe (Rochester) county NY even loans out framed art.  Just in case you want to have different visual appeal in your home every 2 months- free of charge!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
Here's one you'll only learn here. When I got super-duper, extra-squeeky frugal and I wanted to make new local friends, I decided to start volunteering at the library. I get all my books, movies, etc. for $1.00 or less. I have also made a ton of friends. These friendships have led to other opportunities and experiences. I now have a much richer, but still quite frugal social life.

Every library has a "Friends" group to one degree or another. Seriously, life changing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:44:41 AM »
Good post!

I checked and found out that my local library has a PC with printing facilities, in case we ever want to only own a PC, but no printer. They also have magazines that you can borrow to take home.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
The Toronto public library offers inexpensive use of their 3D printer, as well as regular printers.  :P

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/22/toronto_public_library_goes_digital_with_3d_printing_technology_hubs.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!