Author Topic: The brutal truth about success  (Read 5335 times)

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
The brutal truth about success
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »

tawyer

• Bristles
Re: The brutal truth about success
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
The first line was me a few years ago: people would ask me why I rode such a heavy old bike given that I cycle so much. I would tell them that I would buy a lighter bike once I lost ten pounds myself. I wound up losing more like twenty pounds and figured why bother with the lighter bike now because I am already faster than everyone I ride with and hauling this heavy old bike around is only getting me fitter.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for sharing this.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:51:34 AM »
Great article. So much of this extends to everyday life. Looking for something outside to fix what's inside, the pursuit that never ends and for some reason is easier than taking a look inside. Is it our own ego that gets in the way? Acknowledging that something within us needs to be addressed seems "logical" but is avoided, subconsciously or out of habit.

CalmSeas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
A spot-on perspective, it's always useful remind ourselves of this so thanks for sharing. It's easy to create lots of justifications for a new and shiny purchase, but when you scratch the surface many times it isn't much of an improvement.

Also, the bike example is a great one. I have kept the same $800 road bike for the past ten years with the same reasoning. If I'm ever so fit and so fast that the *bike* is holding me back, then maybe it's time to upgrade, but I'm far from it!