Author Topic: The $20,000 House  (Read 5965 times)

msilenus

• Pencil Stache

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
Re: The $20,000 House
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
When I built my house, the plan was to only spend about $40,000 and build small, but I got scared and built larger (I thought it would sell better should I need to sell it), so now I have a mortgage of $124,000 or so. One of my biggest regrets! If I had gone with the $40 grand plan, I would be a lot closer to FI than I am.

The work the Rural Studio does is fascinating to me.

sly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
so wait...how do I get a 20K house? I'm not a broke rural elderly but I could definitely use a 20K house for retirement planning. My main issue with the whole micro-house movement is that the houses are actually quite expensive. I'm not paying 100K for a 200SQF micro house, I'm still waiting for that really cheap tiny home that is reasonably durable and aesthetically pleasing. Any ideas?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
sly- do you have any interest in building your own home, or would you need to buy? Like you, I'm a little shocked at the price tags on the tiny homes that are all the rage. My retirement plans involve building my own inexpensive (but attractive and efficient) home. My budget will be more than $20K- I'll need to house not just myself but a wife and two or more kids- but I have no doubt that I could build a very nice, several hundred square foot house for that amount by doing the labor myself.

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »
First you have to find the cheap land and in a locality that doesn't charge thousands of dollars in permits and hookups. Those fees will completely blow any budget you come up. Then find a building plan for the simpliest house possible (think beach box).  Then you have to decide on the cheapest building materials, where you will spend and where you will save. In the end, unless you are getting land for free, or materials that fell off a truck, building is going to be no less expensive than buying an existing home in most areas.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
First you have to find the cheap land and in a locality that doesn't charge thousands of dollars in permits and hookups. Those fees will completely blow any budget you come up.

That part is pretty fricking easy. We don't even have building inspectors where I live.

jp

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
I have never really understood how a tiny home is superior to a trailer or camper.   I am not being sarcastic, why don't these people just buy an RV?  It costs way less and is just as spacious as a tiny house. 

At first I thought it was the lack of foundation, but then I see that most of the tiny houses are build on poles or even on trailers.  So that can't be it.  I don't get it.

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »
I have never really understood how a tiny home is superior to a trailer or camper.   I am not being sarcastic, why don't these people just buy an RV?  It costs way less and is just as spacious as a tiny house. 

At first I thought it was the lack of foundation, but then I see that most of the tiny houses are build on poles or even on trailers.  So that can't be it.  I don't get it.

They're cute.

jp

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
They're cute.

Is that really the whole thing?  I mean, the whole "movement" is about how it looks like a playhouse? 

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
I don't speak from experience because I don't have one, nor will I ever because I have a family that just wouldn't fit. But I did go through a bit of obsession with them a while back.

Again, just me, but these aspects appealed:

1) aesthetics. You get the adorable country cottage look that is very expensive in a full sized home, but at a fraction of the price.
2) customizable. If you need an office space, you have one. If you need a sunny front room, you have one. You get to choose the whole layout based on your needs.
3) light. Every tiny home picture I've ever seen is about 100x brighter than an RV. (Again, aesthetics)
4) illusion of permanence. An RV is a vehicle. It will always be a vehicle. Many of the tiny homes, even if they are attached to trailers, have steps built on and are usually fixed to more permanent utility set ups. I would more easily be able to see myself living in one long term.
5) space. I don't know if this is true, but because of the typical set up with a loft bedroom space, the tiny homes seem much bigger in terms of useable space than an RV. Plus all the space, because it's customizable, is fully utilized and functional for your own needs.

Just my thoughts! I'd love a tiny home, but I actually need a normal sized home that is efficiently built. Small rooms are fine, but I need an open kitchen or open plan space for a living area. I need full sized heaters/water heaters for a family with multiple kids. They are super cool but definitely still have a lot of the inconveniences of RV living.

sly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
sly- do you have any interest in building your own home, or would you need to buy? Like you, I'm a little shocked at the price tags on the tiny homes that are all the rage. My retirement plans involve building my own inexpensive (but attractive and efficient) home. My budget will be more than $20K- I'll need to house not just myself but a wife and two or more kids- but I have no doubt that I could build a very nice, several hundred square foot house for that amount by doing the labor myself.

In my case, I simply lack the most basic building skills. I don't think it's worth it for me to learn everything from scratch just for 1 small project.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
Inner city?
We have a small house in a poor neighborhood.   Size wise, it's a starter home, which will also function nicely as a retirement home.  Tiny new homes with all kinds of upscale features have their appeal, but there are tons of older homes that were built to last, and are very close to existing infrastructure. Some wheels don't need reinventing.......  YMMV.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!