Author Topic: Six 30-yr old women of different incomes share their spending habits  (Read 5085 times)

lightmyfire

• Stubble
These weren't as face punch-worthy as might be expected. Except for maybe the one making $9600 a year with 3 kids and wants to buy a house...

http://www.elle.com/life-love/a41060/30-year-old-women-spending-habits/

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Six 30-yr old women of different incomes share their spending habits
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
They spelled Raleigh wrong, for goodness sake.

She quit her job to be a "consultant" (probably MLM.  Let me guess - Lularoe). 

How is she spending $250/week on groceries while making $9600/year?  And putting aside $300/month toward a house?  And buying her kids new clothes all the time so they "feel and look taken care of".  I have no idea what all inclusive castle in NC she's talking about, and Raleigh isn't rural, by any means. Something's not adding up here.

So basically hogwash.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »

How is she spending $250/week on groceries while making $9600/year?  And putting aside $300/month toward a house?  And buying her kids new clothes all the time so they "feel and look taken care of".  I have no idea what all inclusive castle in NC she's talking about, and Raleigh isn't rural, by any means. Something's not adding up here.

So basically hogwash.
No one said that these were real people....
or that the author used spell check when they typed this up one drunken Sunday morning 3 days before rent was due... :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:15:54 AM »

So basically hogwash.
No one said that these were real people....
or that the author used spell check when they typed this up one drunken Sunday morning 3 days before rent was due... :)

The pay is the same; why worry about small things like spelling.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »

So basically hogwash.

Moving in with her parents sounds like a fairly recent development. So I see a possible combination of deficit spending on credit cards and/or cash infusions from the Bank of Mom and Dad?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
How is she spending $250/week on groceries while making $9600/year? 
I wonder if she listed her income accurately, but maybe there is also child support or govt aid of some sort on top of that. Back when I was getting child support ( a whopping $20 a week, woohoo!), I didn't consider that income.

Sarcasmancer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
How is she spending $250/week on groceries while making $9600/year? 
I wonder if she listed her income accurately, but maybe there is also child support or govt aid of some sort on top of that. Back when I was getting child support ( a whopping $20 a week, woohoo!), I didn't consider that income.

At 9600 / year with three kids, she qualifies for SNAP (so there's groceries), and Child Tax Credit for the three kids. She says she's unemployed but also says she's a consultant - if that 9600 a year is in unemployment benefits she does not qualify for EITC, if it's wages or some combination of wages and unemployment then she would. For a person at that income level with 3 kids the refundable portion of the tax return is going to be a significant part of their income for the year.

She likely also qualifies for housing assistance; no mention of child support but it is another possible revenue stream. And of course for some people there's always the Bank of Mom and Dad.

Even given all that, in context (and compared to other people in the same situation), $300 a month savings is great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!