Author Topic: San Francisco Janitor earns $160K in overtime  (Read 3933 times)

vdub6127

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
San Francisco Janitor earns $160K in overtime
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »
Sure, he's bleeding taxpayers, but I doubt any of us can top this: "San Francisco janitor who made $270G in a year spends part of day in closet: report"
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/janitor-made-270k-spends-part-day-closet-report-article-1.2966531

Though if you're like me and you've seen what goes on in that station, maybe that salary is justified :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: San Francisco Janitor earns $160K in overtime
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
The tone of that article makes it sound like they're offended a lowly janitor could make so much. On a 20-hour shift, I wouldn't even say those breaks are excessive.

I've worked as a janitor. I'm all for this kind of pay.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
Did said janitor break any rules? No? Good on the janitor, hard work goes a long way

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
There seems to be at least some suspicion that the guy was knocking off in the closet for a few hours each day.

But ultimately this is down to poor oversight by his bosses. When I worked hourly, my managers were always diligent to ensure we had enough staff on hand to avoid paying out overtime to anyone. I would have hoped that the managers who handle my money in the government would do the same, but in an organization that large there will always be a few bad apples (again, referring to the bosses, not this worker).

Here is some more information about it: http://www.ktvu.com/news/2-investigates/234011066-story
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:02:26 PM by obstinate »

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »
There were some guys at the husband's old workplace who pulled this kind of thing (although management encouraged it by reducing headcount).  Guys making around 70k/base ($35/hr) could double that.  They bought McMansions on acerage, boats, classic cars, on and on.  There was a joke that any 'toy' bought from a millwright was probably a good deal-fancy, well-kept but hardly used. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kuznec

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
I can not understand the claims, well, if they had so much work, that he had to work overtime, what's the problem?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
I can not understand the claims, well, if they had so much work, that he had to work overtime, what's the problem?
Hee, you've never seen the station where he works. IMO, the furor stems from the results of his labor, or more correctly, the utter lack thereof.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!