Author Topic: Sad stories of Mustachians affected by the Kiluea eruptions  (Read 1810 times)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
Many of these people were living very ERE/MMM-style lives before the eruptions started.  Hope they are able to get back on their feet soon....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/10/hawaiis-evacuees-on-life-by-the-volcano-people-think-were-crazy-to-live-here?CMP=fb_gu
Wherever you go, there you are

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
Re: Sad stories of Mustachians affected by the Kiluea eruptions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »
My cousin grew up in Pahoa, and my best friend's ex-husband's family is all from there as well. I can't imagine living so close to a volcano with that risk always there, but you're right, many of them lived very simply and frugally there. It's been sad reading some of their stories.

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
The people in the article aren't ERE or Mustachian.

They're just poor.
FI/FU at 35. Here is how we did it-PlantingOurPennies-

Reddleman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
The people in the article aren't ERE or Mustachian.

They're just poor.
Definitely living on the margins there, I'd have to agree with that.  A lot of people there don't have much of a budget for contingencies.  A volcano would be a pretty big one!

I spent some time there on a trip to the big island a few years ago.  I think the article did a better job than most actually hearing from the people living there.  Puna is just about as far away, literally and metaphorically, from the modern American lifestyle as most people could imagine.  Homesteaders, communes, people living mostly off the land. 

So in terms of questioning their own choices and consumption, I'd have to say that's pretty mustachian.  Would we all make the same choices?  Probably not.  I've thought about it at times.  If I wanted to be FI, I could afford it already by a good margin.

I'm actually facing a similar choice in the next few years.  One of our FI options is to move to the Azores.  My wife is a citizen and it ticks many of the boxes- cheap (housing), beautiful, very relaxed island life, low cost of living.  But it happens to be a chain of volcanic islands!  If we live there for 30 years, there's a pretty good chance that we'd at least experience some pretty decent earthquakes.  As long as we'd have enough invested to be able to move somewhere else comparable if the worst happens, I'm thinking it's probably a good option.