Author Topic: Prom spending vs. family income  (Read 1994 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Prom spending vs. family income
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Interesting article:  http://www.marketwatch.com/story/would-you-spend-25000-on-your-childs-prom-and-spend-this-much-on-renting-a-camel-2017-06-06

The theme is that the less you earn, the more you spend on your kid's prom night.  In my personal experience (and I'm a  high school teacher), this is true.  While kids are less into prom than they were a decade ago, it's the poorer kids who really splurge on dresses, professional photographs, etc.  The rich kids tend to see it as one night, and they anticipate more special dances, etc. as they head off to college, making this one less important in the grand scheme of things.   

The article says that families who earn less than $25,000/year spend $1,393 on prom night.
Families who earn less than $50,000/year spend $1,109 on prom.
Families who earn more than $50,000/year spend $799 on prom.

Personally, I gave my girls a $200 budget, which was plenty. 

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Prom spending vs. family income
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I probably paid close to $200 on my prom, back in the late 90s. I invited someone as a date so I paid for two tickets. We split a limo with friends which was a ton of fun. I had a wonderful time and don't regret a thing. My dress was gorgeous and cost $20. I still have it today!
"It'll be great!"

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Skipped entirely when I was in high school (70s).

Anyway, lnternet pron is way better than highschool pron, if you ask me.

And free!

WhiteTrashCash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Growing up on Hillbilly Mountain, I knew girls who saved up for years, spent all their money on their prom dress, shoes, and tiara, and then dropped out of school the week after prom. Princess for a day, welfare for a lifetime. And that's how priorities are up on Hillbilly Mountain.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
Wow, my parents must have been raking it in, then.  I think I spent a grand total of $200, including the tickets.  My tux rental was $55, and I think I spent an extra few bucks afterwards to purchase it.  I've worn it several times since, including our own wedding, so totally worth it.

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
I never understood why men rent a tuxedo, yet women BUY a dress.

Chesleygirl

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
My high school did not host a prom, so I did not attend one.

I don't feel I missed out on anything.

samusugiru

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Very true. I worked in a hotel for a year and for the annual Christmas party the cleaning staff would go all out and rent limos and get professional make up. Compare that to my millionaire friends from college who would borrow a dress for college balls and do their own hair and make up.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
I never understood why men rent a tuxedo, yet women BUY a dress.

Because this is one of the few topics in life where men have more sense than women!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
WOW on the spending, and very interesting on the stats!!

I didn't finish school, so I made money instead :)

Chesleygirl

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
Very true. I worked in a hotel for a year and for the annual Christmas party the cleaning staff would go all out and rent limos and get professional make up. Compare that to my millionaire friends from college who would borrow a dress for college balls and do their own hair and make up.

I wonder if spending money that one doesn't really have, relates to a low self esteem.

I went to a high school in a wealthy area, and (as I said above) they didn't even host a prom. People thought it was cheesy. They had other dances, like homecoming, but it wasn't common that anyone rented a limosine for that.

Michael in ABQ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
My first drill with the National Guard was on prom weekend. So I actually earned money instead of spending it. Had I gone I seriously doubt I would have spent more than $100 or so. The last big dance I went to prior to that I think some friends and I ate at a small diner beforehand and I wore some dress clothes that I already had.

Here in New Mexico a lot of families celebrate a quinceañera for their daughters when they turn 15. Some of these parties easily reach north of ten thousand of dollars. It's basically equivalent to a large wedding between the guests, the food, drinks, photographers, dress, etc.