Author Topic: Prom spending vs. family income  (Read 563 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Prom spending vs. family income
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Interesting article:  http://www.marketwatch.com/story/would-you-spend-25000-on-your-childs-prom-and-spend-this-much-on-renting-a-camel-2017-06-06

The theme is that the less you earn, the more you spend on your kid's prom night.  In my personal experience (and I'm a  high school teacher), this is true.  While kids are less into prom than they were a decade ago, it's the poorer kids who really splurge on dresses, professional photographs, etc.  The rich kids tend to see it as one night, and they anticipate more special dances, etc. as they head off to college, making this one less important in the grand scheme of things.   

The article says that families who earn less than $25,000/year spend $1,393 on prom night.
Families who earn less than $50,000/year spend $1,109 on prom.
Families who earn more than $50,000/year spend $799 on prom.

Personally, I gave my girls a $200 budget, which was plenty. 

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Prom spending vs. family income
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I probably paid close to $200 on my prom, back in the late 90s. I invited someone as a date so I paid for two tickets. We split a limo with friends which was a ton of fun. I had a wonderful time and don't regret a thing. My dress was gorgeous and cost $20. I still have it today!
"It'll be great!"

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Skipped entirely when I was in high school (70s).

Anyway, lnternet pron is way better than highschool pron, if you ask me.

And free!

WhiteTrashCash

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Growing up on Hillbilly Mountain, I knew girls who saved up for years, spent all their money on their prom dress, shoes, and tiara, and then dropped out of school the week after prom. Princess for a day, welfare for a lifetime. And that's how priorities are up on Hillbilly Mountain.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
Wow, my parents must have been raking it in, then.  I think I spent a grand total of $200, including the tickets.  My tux rental was $55, and I think I spent an extra few bucks afterwards to purchase it.  I've worn it several times since, including our own wedding, so totally worth it.