Author Topic: Mustachian Web Tools: Your Money or Your Life Spreadsheets  (Read 22012 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Mustachian Web Tools: Your Money or Your Life Spreadsheets
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
Your Money or Your Life (hereafter YMOYL) is one of the more popular early retirement books, for good reason.  If you haven't read it, I recommend you go pick up a copy at your local library.

There's a lot of different calculations and tracking that YMOYL has you do as "exercises."

This web resource, titled "Financial Makeover Plan: 9 steps to Financial Freedom" does a lot of the dirty work for you: http://www.practical-investing.com/article.php?article=9_steps_to_freedom

It is basically a "cheat sheet" for YMOYL.  I'd recommend you read the book first (and don't skip straight to this) to get the mindset, but if you haven't read the book in awhile, this is a great refresher.

On top of that, it has a half dozen different Excel spreadsheets for you to help track and calculate the various things YMOYL has you do.  Net worth, spending, assets, true hourly wage, etc. etc.

Often the spreadsheets have multiple tabs to track several things within one spreadsheet.  They're starting off points, and you'll likely tweak them to make them fit for you, but this website is a great resource for those starting out and looking for automated ways to track your "numbers," with the hard parts done for you.

Enjoy!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian Web Tools: Your Money or Your Life Spreadsheets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Oh dear, I looked at this very helpful webpage at work this week and wanted to download the spreadsheets to my home computer.  But now the entire web page is 404.  I've googled around a bit for an alternative source but no luck yet.  Does anyone know of one?  Or have a copy of any of the spreadsheets they wouldn't mind taking the time to email me?  I'm particularly interested in the three-tab one that had graphs--I really like graph functions but don't want to take the time to learn how to make them if I don't have to...

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:33:52 PM by sheepstache »

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
Also found 404, I am sad.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
I had the spreadsheet.xls still in my temp folder at work!  So I have that one if anyone wants.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
I'm on it, working on getting it all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:23:05 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »
Okay, I contacted the author and he gave me copies of all of the spreadsheets and I got a copy of the website text itself and cleaned it up a little.

Just waiting on permission from the author to share it, then I'll post it all here.  :)

jleeger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Hi, did you ever get permission to share those YMOYL spreadsheets? Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
Yes indeed!  Thanks for the reminder.

I don't have a place to host it right now, but when I'm next at my computer (on my iDevice right now) I will add them as attachements to this thread.

EDIT: Done
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:04:18 PM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
Attached to the previous post (replying just to bump this for anyone that read it and is waiting for the reply with attachment.)  Enjoy!

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »
Gracias!

Vahla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »
Thanks Arebelspy!  I had read the book but those spreadsheets you put up were handy to have around.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
My pleasure.  I didn't do much but get a hold of them and point them out, but I hope they help. 

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
Stumbled on this (somewhat dead) topic... for anyone interested, you can look at the webpage as it was in 2012 by using the internet archive. https://web.archive.org/web/20120904015952/http://www.practical-investing.com/article.php?article=9_steps_to_freedom

Doesn't seem you can download the spreadsheets there, but you can get them further up this thread.