Author Topic: Mustachian housing opportunity in Minnesota  (Read 3352 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Mustachian housing opportunity in Minnesota
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:57:23 AM »
I thought this program sounded very mustachian for both caregivers and those needing care. A place to live and income, sometimes just for sleeping!

A unique roommate matching service.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian housing opportunity in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
That is pretty dang cool

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
I love not just the financial aspect but the human connection that comes with this.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:25:53 PM »
It's a great idea (elderly have the space, young people have the time), but I wonder how many elderly will do it in practice.

My doubts come from watching my in-laws recently go through the process of in-home care after a stroke.

My wife's grandmother had a stroke and needed in-home care.  She and my wife's grandfather live in a giant exurban house, probably 3500sqft with a full, unoccupied mother-in-law suite built into the finished basement.  My father-in-law's idea was to find a nursing student to live in the house rent free, and to pay them a reasonable hourly rate for providing care.  His logic was that the unoccupied space was basically a sunk cost with no real marginal costs for occupation, so better to have someone living there and acting as extra eyes and ears in the house than not. 

He brought the idea to my wife's grandfather, who for reference is in his late 80s and is a first generation immigrant. 

He was appalled.  His math was that he lived in a beautiful house, so providing anyone a room should be at least $1000/mo taken out of their paycheck.  Pay them $15/hr for a couple hours a day, and they should still be paying him about $500/mo to live and work in his house.

You can see how this was never going to work.  Instead of doing the common sense thing, in the end they paid tens of thousands for professional in-home care on an hourly basis.

On the surface, a service-for-rent arrangement would make all parties better off.  In practice, I imagine often times it's going to run into snags as the different parties come to common terms about what their space or time is worth.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »
On the surface, a service-for-rent arrangement would make all parties better off.  In practice, I imagine often times it's going to run into snags as the different parties come to common terms about what their space or time is worth.

I think the same could be said about any attempts at mustachian lifestyles and arrangements. They have to be sought out and worked at, and all parties involved need to have that committment. So it won't work for everyone, but for those who see the value I think it's great there's a service to help match them up.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 06:33:01 AM »
This is a really cool idea. For folks who are open minded and willing to give it a go, it could work out nicely.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
He was appalled.  His math was that he lived in a beautiful house, so providing anyone a room should be at least $1000/mo taken out of their paycheck.  Pay them $15/hr for a couple hours a day, and they should still be paying him about $500/mo to live and work in his house.

You can see how this was never going to work.  Instead of doing the common sense thing, in the end they paid tens of thousands for professional in-home care on an hourly basis.

So he never really did the cost benefit analysis.

I occasionally see these types of arrangements come up on our local sites.  There are a lot of really rich people here, so often they are looking for a chef+handyman, and the job comes with a cottage and $100k income.

Sometimes, though, the arrangements are more like "I need a nanny, you can live with us for FREE!"  But then...the nanny has no income, or not enough to live on, even with free rent.