Author Topic: Most frugal place on the internet  (Read 3725 times)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
Most frugal place on the internet
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »
Stumbled across this from a sponsored post on FB from Tangerine Banking.

Thought it would lead me back to this forum.

It didn't :P.

https://www.tangerine.ca/forwardthinking/savings/a-journey-into-the-most-frugal-place-on-the-internet

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Most frugal place on the internet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
I can totally vouch for r/frugal being more frugal than this forum!

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
LOL Mustachianism is about maximizing life & joy on less.

Frugality is one of the tools in the tool belt of financial independence & Mustachianism rather than an end in itself.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
I've dabbled in r/frugal, but not enough to see the TRUE FRUGALITY.

I did enjoy the examples they chose from the article:

"Use the stranger test to reduce impulse purchases: when considering a purchase, picture a stranger offering you [the cash value] of the item in question. Which is of greater value you? Which would you choose? —joelbrochill
If you plan on dressing up as a nurse/doctor/chef this Halloween, go to a work uniform supply store. It will cost less than a store-bought costume, will fit perfectly, and can be re-used or donated to charity instead of just getting thrown out. —BetterButterflies
I buy lots of tomatoes on sale, like the ones the stores are about to throw away. I wash them, put them in a blender with garlic and onion, bag them, and freeze the bags to use later for salsas or Mexican rice. —laindiamaria2
I lived in a complex where someone seemed to be moving out at least 2-3 times a month. For some reason people were almost always leaving furniture behind by the dumpster. We'd clean it up and put it on craigslist. We made probably 200-300 dollars in the year we lived there from stuff we found out there. —acer58686
I use this site to find misspelled items on eBay that no one is bidding on. —dashalaka432"

They are all good points/tips, but the one about buying tomatoes on sale made me laugh...isn't that the ONLY way to buy produce???

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Our local stores won't sell damaged produce, not even to feed chickens.  Liability, they say.  :-(