Author Topic: London Accountant - FIRE - MMM Becoming mainstream?  (Read 2165 times)

mike_123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
London Accountant - FIRE - MMM Becoming mainstream?
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:00:00 AM »
Apologies for the DM link. But (except for the obvious bias) this is a good account of someone following MMM principles (starting before MMM existed too) and retiring early. The article doesn't mention his final salary!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6178197/London-accountant-one-thousands-Brits-retire-30s-40s-saving.html

PS. Some of the comment's are hilarious and show a complete lack of understanding.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
Re: London Accountant - FIRE - MMM Becoming mainstream?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
Did the journalists actually research the data to validate the claims of 1000s (and even sometimes claiming 100,000) people who have FIREd?

If so, that is astonishing and fantastic!

If not, I don't think the hyperbole is beneficial.

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »

PS. Some of the comment's are hilarious and show a complete lack of understanding.

These articles like to sex up this topic by choosing as examples people who earn a huge salary, then retire at 30 and start a blog about how to retire early.  If that's all I knew about FIRE, I'd probably figure it was some kind of bogus, Ponzi-like scheme. So you can't entirely blame the commenters who react by saying that it's b/s.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »
Did the journalists actually research the data to validate the claims of 1000s (and even sometimes claiming 100,000) people who have FIREd?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. They looked at the attendance for the FIRE blogging conferences. Lol.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!