Author Topic: LAPD is becoming Mustachian  (Read 4441 times)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
LAPD is becoming Mustachian
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
 Deleted
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:18:58 AM by spartana »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: LAPD is becoming Mustachian
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »
Now they can be environmentally correct for their daily high speed pursuits ;-)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2015/09/15/news/companies/tesla-model-s-lapd/index.html?client=ms-android-americamovil-us&espv=1

That's from 2015 but this is newer: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104379_la-police-to-buy-100-bmw-i3-electric-cars-for-department-use

Interesting!  Poor Tesla lost out on an amazing contract.  I see that the vehicles are not used in emergency response capabilities - I wonder if the battery life was stressed by the power consumption of the systems that the patrol officers use?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:46:09 AM »
Hmm. Interesting. So it was the battery life that was the limiting factor.  I guess the police in my area use hopped up dodge Chargers; wonder what the price delta is with a Tesla all-in police package.  I know Elon has said "Never discount a Tesla", but one would think for the LAPD he might make an exception.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »
Hmm. Interesting. So it was the battery life that was the limiting factor.  I guess the police in my area use hopped up dodge Chargers; wonder what the price delta is with a Tesla all-in police package.  I know Elon has said "Never discount a Tesla", but one would think for the LAPD he might make an exception.
I read the police Teslas would be in the $105k range. The police Dodge Charger Pursuit models they have in my town go for around $45k. Of course they have giant V-8s so probably less cost effective over the years. Since we have so many high speed police pursuits here (its our Friday night TV viewing here ;-)) it might be financially worth it. Now they  just need to make a Tesla electric  police pursuit helicopter. Of course there's a lot of bicycle cops and even Segway cops too.

This electric pursuit helicopter only runs about $10K.

http://www.davis.com/Product/Flir_Thermal_Aerial_Surveillance_Drone_First_Responder_Basic_Package_IR_Resolution_336_x_256/YX-39756-70?referred_id=3388&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing_Shopping_Davis(BSC)&utm_term=1100008579634&utm_content=All+Products

dave3fl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
I read the police Teslas would be in the $105k range. The police Dodge Charger Pursuit models they have in my town go for around $45k. Of course they have giant V-8s so probably less cost effective over the years. Since we have so many high speed police pursuits here (its our Friday night TV viewing here ;-)) it might be financially worth it. Now they  just need to make a Tesla electric  police pursuit helicopter. Of course there's a lot of bicycle cops and even Segway cops too.

The department I used to work for got them for about $30k, ready to roll (including v8, push bumper, lights, siren, radio, graphics, cage, etc).  The government fleet pricing is incredibly cheap compared to msrp.  I will say though, they had a lot of issues with suspension parts breaking/wearing out and some electrical issues.  They are extremely fast and well thought out for a police vehicle and I loved driving one when they worked lol

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
Now they can be environmentally correct for their daily high speed pursuits ;-)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2015/09/15/news/companies/tesla-model-s-lapd/index.html?client=ms-android-americamovil-us&espv=1

That's from 2015 but this is newer: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104379_la-police-to-buy-100-bmw-i3-electric-cars-for-department-use

Interesting!  Poor Tesla lost out on an amazing contract.  I see that the vehicles are not used in emergency response capabilities - I wonder if the battery life was stressed by the power consumption of the systems that the patrol officers use?

I would guess so.  I know the NYPD Hybrid cars have issues with using the emergency lights and what not.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »

The department I used to work for got them for about $30k, ready to roll (including v8, push bumper, lights, siren, radio, graphics, cage, etc).  The government fleet pricing is incredibly cheap compared to msrp.  I will say though, they had a lot of issues with suspension parts breaking/wearing out and some electrical issues.  They are extremely fast and well thought out for a police vehicle and I loved driving one when they worked lol

Wow. $30K ready to roll; that's a great price.  This speaks to my point though: Tesla could probably be much closer to this price than their list price for their model, if they wished.  I know it wouldn't really fit with Elon's "Master Plan", but most other manufacturers seem to make it ok.

And yeah, from all the people I've talked to, the Charger police editions are very enjoyable to work out of.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:48:05 AM »
There are other, non-patrol cars that don't have the same extras sucking up power.  My sister works for the coroner side of the sheriff's department, and they have cars they drive to death scenes.  They aren't going faster than the speed limit and I don't believe they even have lights on them.  I'm sure there are lots of government vehicles used in similar ways--really not much different than civilian cars.  That seems like it would be a sweet spot because very few, if any adaptations would need to be made.  They could drive essentially off-the-factory-line cars, with aftermarket radios.  I'm surprised there isn't more of a push to transition all of those types of cars into EVs, which could be done much more easily.  Low hanging fruit. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 07:31:50 PM »
Wow. $30K ready to roll; that's a great price.  This speaks to my point though: Tesla could probably be much closer to this price than their list price for their model, if they wished.  I know it wouldn't really fit with Elon's "Master Plan", but most other manufacturers seem to make it ok.

I don't see why Tesla would want to discount, they're still backlogged on Model S and X

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:25 AM »

I don't see why Tesla would want to discount, they're still backlogged on Model S and X

Something something market share, something something...

I'm not sure not being able to meet customer demands or shipping deadlines means they should charge more for a product, but I see how one could argue that.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »

Something something market share, something something...

I'm not sure not being able to meet customer demands or shipping deadlines means they should charge more for a product, but I see how one could argue that.

Well, Tesla's going to have something like 25,000 cars delivered this quarter. They could sell them for $90k each, or discount a chunk of them for the LAPD to $60k each.

Makes more sense to me to get full price. Market share isn't affected. Every single car is sold either way.

Every single car they produce is being presold.  If you want a Tesla for Christmas, you had better order soon. This isn't like GM with hundreds of thousands of unsold cars sitting on dealer lots where a discount will move more cars.

Since they launched the Model S, they have ramped overall company production around 50% per year every year - that's a darn good growth rate. Sure, GM or VW can ramp up a particular model faster than that, but not overall production.