Author Topic: Ka-ching New tax breaks from the Canadian federal government  (Read 8433 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Ka-ching New tax breaks from the Canadian federal government
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
I'm not completely sure if this is Mustachian or anti-Mustachian in the big picture.  I just completed my tax return this year.   We qualify for the new "family tax cut" since DW is a SAHM.   $2000 Ka-ching.

On top of that, our finance minister has announced that he is doubling the contribution limit for a TFSA from $5500 to $11,000* per year.   This is $22,000/year in tax free investments we can use.**  Ka-ching, ka-ching.

Fellow Canadians, what do you think?    Is this a boon to our FI plans?

* he's not too good at math and finance, so he may mean $10,000 per year.

** as long as the investments are Canadian.   The US doesn't recognize the TFSA as a tax free vehicle, so we still pay withholding tax on distributions on US investments.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ka-ching New tax breaks from the Canadian federal government
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:46:51 AM »
Your info looks good.  This has been all but verified in print.  As long as the budget passes (which it will) it should still come into force even if Harper does not get re-elected. 

TFSA accounts are a boon to Mustachians (who will use it correctly) - rather than the way most people will use it (if they use it at all). 

As the amount of TFSA room grows (which it will do quickly for a 2 adult family) I think we'll find ourselves putting all kinds of (what were previously) tax advantaged assets in the non-registered account; into the TFSA.  I can see my Canadian dividend payers ending up in here etc; and only my US investments in the non-registered...bonds remain in the RRSP.

Will it erode tax base in a significant way 20 years from now?  Doubtful.  Even if it does, tax revenues will be made up in other ways...like means testing for CPP/OAS (which might include all of your registered assets). 

For Mustachians retiring there will be little excuse to pay any taxes at all I would guess.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
Increasing the TFSA limit is a huge benefit to people who want to retire early. It is especially great for those of us who are willing to invest in the stock market through index funds. Even if you use your TFSA for foreign shares, atleast you will not have to pay the capital gains tax.

The family tax cut isn't useful to me at the moment but I could see it being helpful in the future.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
Depending on your marginal tax rate, it can be better to put dividend paying US investments in the TFSA.   US dividends get taxed as regular income, so there's no dividend tax credit for them.    In the TFSA you only pay the 15% withholding tax the US government charges.  I'm wrestling with tax planning this year and I find it a little difficult to predict what will be the best bet in 5 years let alone 20 years.

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
One wrinkle I didn't anticipate before we did our returns this year was that if you file a T1213 earlier in the year to avoid paying unnecessary tax from the lower earning spouse's paycheck then it can kind of come back to bite you.

DH and I have about a 40:60 income split. Each year I file a T1213 and adjust my tax witholding to maximize the amount I can divert to investments each pay cycle and minimize my refund. DH does not adjust his tax witholding. This year, since the rules changed partway through, I ended up owing and DH ended up with a bigger refund. Not a big deal, and it worked out to our advantage, but it's something to plan for next year.

This happened because in the past all child care expenses were deducted from my income. This year, DH was able to deduct them.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Great news about the TFSA!!!! :D

Family tax cut isn't applicable to me.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:53 AM »
I keep thinking that both of these plans are a wonderful idea, even as my left-wing in-laws keep ranting on how it will just benefit "the rich". Meanwhile, they are all government employees with defined benefit pensions and an ability to retire at age 60 for which, if I wanted an equivalent annuity that would pay to age 90, would have to shell out between $1.5-2.0 million. It has always been a pet peeve of mine that to save the equivalent of a civil service pension I have to set aside at least $50,000 a year over an equivalent career span yet RRSPs only allow me to put in half that amount. As such, for those of us in the private sector, these two budget additions are a welcome additional opportunity to save for retirement.

As for the family tax cut, I have never understood why there is so much resistance to it in this country. All benefits (child-care, GST rebate, etc.) are based on household income, not individual income, yet all income tax is levied solely on individual income up to this point. Let's be consistent and choose one of the other. A partial income split is finally a step in the right direction.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
I keep thinking that both of these plans are a wonderful idea, even as my left-wing in-laws keep ranting on how it will just benefit "the rich". Meanwhile, they are all government employees with defined benefit pensions and an ability to retire at age 60 for which, if I wanted an equivalent annuity that would pay to age 90, would have to shell out between $1.5-2.0 million. It has always been a pet peeve of mine that to save the equivalent of a civil service pension I have to set aside at least $50,000 a year over an equivalent career span yet RRSPs only allow me to put in half that amount. As such, for those of us in the private sector, these two budget additions are a welcome additional opportunity to save for retirement.

As for the family tax cut, I have never understood why there is so much resistance to it in this country. All benefits (child-care, GST rebate, etc.) are based on household income, not individual income, yet all income tax is levied solely on individual income up to this point. Let's be consistent and choose one of the other. A partial income split is finally a step in the right direction.

I'm really quite ignorant about this (but trying to learn!) and I'm hoping you could shed some light. I have a civil service defined benefit pension plan and I thought my contributions were deducted from the amount I could put into my RRSP. Am I wrong? Are they deducted at a different rate? Is there something else in the pension plan that makes it a better deal than RRSP contributions?

For me, the down side is that the very earliest I can access most of that money I've contributed is at age 50, and that's only if I take a lump sum when I retire. The bulk of it will be put in a LIRA and a small portion will be taxed and available. If I wait to get the pension benefit I need to be 55 for a reduced pension, or 65 with a full pension. Not an issue for those planning on working that long. But I'm not.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
Family tax cut does not apply to me, but I'm stoked about the TFSA contribution room, and I get the child care benefit as well - it will be taxed pretty heavily, but I'm not complaining about an extra $160/month.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »

I'm really quite ignorant about this (but trying to learn!) and I'm hoping you could shed some light. I have a civil service defined benefit pension plan and I thought my contributions were deducted from the amount I could put into my RRSP. Am I wrong? Are they deducted at a different rate? Is there something else in the pension plan that makes it a better deal than RRSP contributions?

For me, the down side is that the very earliest I can access most of that money I've contributed is at age 50, and that's only if I take a lump sum when I retire. The bulk of it will be put in a LIRA and a small portion will be taxed and available. If I wait to get the pension benefit I need to be 55 for a reduced pension, or 65 with a full pension. Not an issue for those planning on working that long. But I'm not.

Pension contributions are deducted from the RRSP limits through something called an RRSP adjustment. In my province, civil servants have approximately 10% of their earnings withheld, the idea being that half of their pension is through their own contributions, the other half through government.

Here is where a defined benefit pension really shines, and a lot of civil servants do not appear to realize this:

Statistically, if you are a man, you will likely die at age 78. That is what actuarial tables will tell you. Your pension contributions are based on these actuarial table, i.e., they assume that if you retire at 60, you will live for another 18 years. However, if you live to 122 years old, you will still be covered and receive your pension. The longevity risk is taken by government.

If you are in the private sector, you cannot assume that you will die at 78 because actuarial principles do not apply at the individual level. Let's say you play it safe and assume you will live until 90. The equivalent RRSP savings to a civil service pension in that case is one that pays for 30 years, not 18 years. To obtain an annuity (an insurance product that offers a guaranteed monthly payout until death) that does not expire until age 90 will cost a lot more than the actuarially determined pension contributions. That issue is further compounded by the low interest rate environment we are currently in.

Accordingly, the "commuted value" of a government pension that pays around $50,000 a year at age 60 may only be about $350,000, but it is really the equivalent of a $1.5 million annuity, because the significant impact of longevity risk is not calculated into the commuted value.

For that reason, I have never understood civil servants that take the commuted value option upon retirement. My mother-in-law did so, and when my wife told me she was surprised when I recoiled in absolute horror, thinking my mother-in-law had just voluntarily signed away at least a million dollars. If I was a civil servant, I would defend my defined pension benefit entitlement to the death.

The other significant advantage of a government pension is that it is based on the five highest-paying earning years. This means that the optimal strategy for a civil service career is to keep a relatively low profile with minimal responsibility while the kids are young and you want work-life balance, but aggressively push for promotions to the director or senior manager level around age 50 to get in a few high-paying years to up the pension entitlement. That strategy does not work in the private sector, because the worth of your RRSPs is not based on your highest-earning years, but based on the cumulative total of all years. In other words, to have a high RRSP, you have to save aggressively every year, while to get a high pension, you can get 20 years of "slack" time followed by a few years of aggressive hustling. The smartest civil servants I have met understand this dynamic and transition from relatively meek officials who are out the door at 4:00 PM while they have families to aggressively maneuvering for promotions a few years before they retire. The 20 years of slack time usually provide sufficient learning time to understand the politics involved in getting these promotions and build networks with the right people.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »

Pension contributions are deducted from the RRSP limits through something called an RRSP adjustment. In my province, civil servants have approximately 10% of their earnings withheld, the idea being that half of their pension is through their own contributions, the other half through government.

Here is where a defined benefit pension really shines, and a lot of civil servants do not appear to realize this:

Statistically, if you are a man, you will likely die at age 78. That is what actuarial tables will tell you. Your pension contributions are based on these actuarial table, i.e., they assume that if you retire at 60, you will live for another 18 years. However, if you live to 122 years old, you will still be covered and receive your pension. The longevity risk is taken by government.

If you are in the private sector, you cannot assume that you will die at 78 because actuarial principles do not apply at the individual level. Let's say you play it safe and assume you will live until 90. The equivalent RRSP savings to a civil service pension in that case is one that pays for 30 years, not 18 years. To obtain an annuity (an insurance product that offers a guaranteed monthly payout until death) that does not expire until age 90 will cost a lot more than the actuarially determined pension contributions. That issue is further compounded by the low interest rate environment we are currently in.

Accordingly, the "commuted value" of a government pension that pays around $50,000 a year at age 60 may only be about $350,000, but it is really the equivalent of a $1.5 million annuity, because the significant impact of longevity risk is not calculated into the commuted value.

For that reason, I have never understood civil servants that take the commuted value option upon retirement. My mother-in-law did so, and when my wife told me she was surprised when I recoiled in absolute horror, thinking my mother-in-law had just voluntarily signed away at least a million dollars. If I was a civil servant, I would defend my defined pension benefit entitlement to the death.

The other significant advantage of a government pension is that it is based on the five highest-paying earning years. This means that the optimal strategy for a civil service career is to keep a relatively low profile with minimal responsibility while the kids are young and you want work-life balance, but aggressively push for promotions to the director or senior manager level around age 50 to get in a few high-paying years to up the pension entitlement. That strategy does not work in the private sector, because the worth of your RRSPs is not based on your highest-earning years, but based on the cumulative total of all years. In other words, to have a high RRSP, you have to save aggressively every year, while to get a high pension, you can get 20 years of "slack" time followed by a few years of aggressive hustling. The smartest civil servants I have met understand this dynamic and transition from relatively meek officials who are out the door at 4:00 PM while they have families to aggressively maneuvering for promotions a few years before they retire. The 20 years of slack time usually provide sufficient learning time to understand the politics involved in getting these promotions and build networks with the right people.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I can understand this all from the perspective of someone planning to retire during the normal range (ie: why to not take the commuted value). But what about someone like me who is planning on leaving 20+ years early? My highest five years salary are not going to be very much when compared to current salaries at the time when I can start taking retirement benefits (age 55 at reduced pension). I looked into the numbers before and I can't remember off the top of my head what it would pay in 18 years if I left today. But it wasn't very much.

I have a lot of research to do to figure out the numbers and what my best plan is, and a couple years to do it. Also the numbers change a lot based on interest rates, so there is no point in making a decision now.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
I found the numbers, but don't want to hijack this thread any longer so I posted a new one.

Would appreciate your input.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/help-me-math-pension-question

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Hah, I was right.   He did mean $10K per year.

But it starts *this* year, not next year.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
The TFSA contribution room is also no longer indexed to inflation which is a bit of a downer.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
HUGE. Things like this will only ensure my early retirement is successful - and by successful I mean NEVER having to go back to work.

Between my wife and I, the ability to shelter this amount of investment income from the tax man is a gift from the ER gods.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
Also the RRIF withdrawal rates are being lowered about.  Seniors had issue with current rates as many were bit hard in 2008 when their holdings dropped substantially and they essentially had to lock in some of their losses due to the mandatory withdrawals.  This also will help some with OAS clawback issues.

Regarding gov't pensions - I told my buddy (social worker with Alberta gov't) that his pension when he retires will be around a $2Million value.  He doesn't believe it and is completely oblivious to the whole thing which I find incredible. 

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 06:46:36 AM »
Yup.  Same here.
We get $2k from the spousal income splitting.
The Toque family has two children in the 6-18 age range, so we'll be getting money for that.
As well, there's a larger tax credit for children's arts and fitness expenditures (karate and music, in our case).

The TFSA increase does start this year, which is great for us, since we'll be running out of TFSA room very soon (since we finished the mortgage last year already).

Not that I'm in favour of these tax cuts.  The idea was to balance the budget first, which they haven't really done.  They've sold off some assets and taken some money out of the Employment Insurance fund (that sounds great during a growing economy, but you're supposed to save that money for the next down-cycle).

They've also been playing games with funding support for veterans and other programs.  We'll be sending a good chunk of our tax rebate to charities supporting veterans and local food banks.

The tax cuts (along with the "balanced" budget) look, to me, like an election year ploy.  One of the benefits of financial stability and a good nest egg is that we don't have to go crazy for whomever offers us the slightly large tax break.

Toque.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
Income splitting doesn't really help us unfortunately . . . we both work as engineers at the same company, and my being male only ensures a higher salary of a couple grand.  Income splitting really seems to suck for single parents though, so guess I shouldn't complain.

The TFSA increase is good.  I hate when my money isn't tax sheltered.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »
Income splitting really seems to suck for single parents though, so guess I shouldn't complain.

That seems especially unfair to me.
You can only split income if (obviously) you have 2 people with very different salaries (in different tax brackets).  That part is just what income splitting means.
But you also - arbitrary rule - need to have kids.  How is that part fair?

And if your spouse has passed away?  Oh, too bad, no tax help for you raising those 2.4 kids.  Why shouldn't this work for single parents?

But we have to understand what kind of gov't we have, and the type of family arrangement it wants to encourage into existence.

Toque.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
Ditto annoyance on the income splitting only being available if you have kids. 

Happy that the TFSA space will almost double (especially since only one of us is allowed to contribute *obig grumble*), but concerned generally about what this will mean for future taxes (even with the indexing taken off). 

The decreased RIF is a great idea, especially given long life spans (particularly if some of it can then be shifted over to a TFSA).

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
Income splitting really seems to suck for single parents though, so guess I shouldn't complain.

That seems especially unfair to me.
You can only split income if (obviously) you have 2 people with very different salaries (in different tax brackets).  That part is just what income splitting means.
But you also - arbitrary rule - need to have kids.  How is that part fair?

And if your spouse has passed away?  Oh, too bad, no tax help for you raising those 2.4 kids.  Why shouldn't this work for single parents?

But we have to understand what kind of gov't we have, and the type of family arrangement it wants to encourage into existence.

Toque.

In fairness, the whole idea with income splitting is that it removes the artificial distinction between income (which is assessed on an individual basis) and benefits (GST rebate, Canada child tax benefit), which are assessed on a household basis. If individualism reigns, then don't penalize my wife for having married a high-income earner by clawing back her benefits. Conversely, if we accept that one household equals one economic unit, then don't penalize our household by having a one-earner setup. Whether I work 80 hours a week or whether we each work 40 should not make a difference to government if we are deemed one unit, and the reality is that the majority of one-earner married households are set up against one businessperson or professional putting in ridiculous hours that make it virtually impossible to run a two-earner household.

Quicktax accidentally listed my wife as "single" for 2014 and we just received a lump sum Canada child tax benefit payment of an additional $1,700 as a result. Needless to say, this will be paid back to CRA, but it highlights that singles and widowers do in fact receive some significant preferential treatment on the benefits side, albeit not on the income side.

Limiting income splitting to families with kids seems to be a cop-out based on a desire to limit the detrimental impact to the treasury. Either that or an implicit judgment that being a stay-at-home parent is okay but being a housewifeperson is not.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 03:42:38 PM »
On that note, I will make the following offer to the NDP and the Liberals:

You will ensure that between now and the next election, I will receive:

(a) a government position paying $80,000 annually that does not require me to work more than 40 hours a week, ensures I can leave by 4:30, and will not require me to check my Blackberry after hours; and

(b) two spots for before- and after-school care at the kids' elementary school.

This will provide me with sufficient balance to allow my wife to mutually return to her civil service position. In return, I will:

(a) vote for you in the next election; and

(b) devote a total of 10 hours between now and said election to trumpet how income splitting is terrible tax policy that disproportionately benefits wealthier households and does not accept the reality of modern families that a lack of affordable childcare is the primary concern.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
Happy that the TFSA space will almost double (especially since only one of us is allowed to contribute *obig grumble*), but concerned generally about what this will mean for future taxes (even with the indexing taken off).

Why do you say this?   One of the great things about the TFSA is that both spouses can contribute *even* if one of them has no income...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
So I happen to have 9k burning a hole in my savings account...when can we contribute? I am hearing conflicting things - some say we are good to go now, others say not yet? Well, what does the MMM Canuck crowd say?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
Why do you say this?   One of the great things about the TFSA is that both spouses can contribute *even* if one of them has no income...

One of the sucky things about having to file US taxes even though you don't live there is that they don't recognize the TFSA (though the IRA hasn't said anything formally, the consensus is that it is a Foreign, ie not US, Trust) and so you need to file all this paperwork as if you were trying to hide a Swiss bank account and then they'd probably tax it.  On the plus side, I do get to vote in US elections and balance out my aunt.  I added the *obig grumble* as I and others have complained about this several times here.  (I say that if we aren't allowed a TFSA then we should be allowed a Roth :)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »
Limiting income splitting to families with kids seems to be a cop-out based on a desire to limit the detrimental impact to the treasury. Either that or an implicit judgment that being a stay-at-home parent is okay but being a housewifeperson is not.
Based on the social conservative part of our present Conservative government, it's pretty obvious what the motivations were for the income splitting rules:
a) Single moms: bad (sinner!)
b) Married people without kids: bad (probably using birth control!  sinner!)
c) Married people with children, woman staying at home: GOOD!  TAX CUT FOR YOU!

Sure, it would also work if the husband stayed-at-home/earned less, but let's get real about where this gov't is coming from.

Toque.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
But what about someone like me who is planning on leaving 20+ years early? My highest five years salary are not going to be very much when compared to current salaries at the time when I can start taking retirement benefits (age 55 at reduced pension). I looked into the numbers before and I can't remember off the top of my head what it would pay in 18 years if I left today. But it wasn't very much.

Benefits are "inflation protected" (adjusted to CPI) starting the year after you stop contributing to the plan. Check your plan to be sure in case it is different from mine.

Also, in my case, the maximum penalty that can be applied is 50%. So the question is do I take 50% of my pension starting at 50 or do I take 100% at 60? You might be able to start drawing at 50 too.

The commuted value will start to be very interesting the day that the inflation protection is removed. They might do this at some point in the future.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:35:33 PM by Guses »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
But what about someone like me who is planning on leaving 20+ years early? My highest five years salary are not going to be very much when compared to current salaries at the time when I can start taking retirement benefits (age 55 at reduced pension). I looked into the numbers before and I can't remember off the top of my head what it would pay in 18 years if I left today. But it wasn't very much.

Benefits are "inflation protected" (adjusted to CPI) starting the year after you stop contributing to the plan. Check your plan to be sure in case it is different from mine.

Also, in my case, the maximum penalty that can be applied is 50%. So the question is do I take 50% of my pension starting at 50 or do I take 100% at 60? You might be able to start drawing at 50 too.

The commuted value will start to be very interesting the day that the inflation protection is removed. They might do this at some point in the future.

My benefit is only adjusted to 60% CPI.
I can't take it until 55 (3% reduction each year before 65) *if I worked until I was 56.5 I could get full pension because of the 85 factor (age plus years of service) but clearly that isn't going to happen.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Based on the social conservative part of our present Conservative government, it's pretty obvious what the motivations were for the income splitting rules:
a) Single moms: bad (sinner!)
b) Married people without kids: bad (probably using birth control!  sinner!)
c) Married people with children, woman staying at home: GOOD!  TAX CUT FOR YOU!

Sure, it would also work if the husband stayed-at-home/earned less, but let's get real about where this gov't is coming from.

Toque.

Single parents already have so many tax advantages. Eligible Dependant/Equivalent to spouse is huge, CCTB works in their favor, child support isn't taxable, and child care is deductible. Single parents will also benefits from the increased UCCB payments.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:59:07 PM by lostamonkey »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
And here I thought the govt was just catering to people who are likely to vote...    Margaret Wente had a column on this topic today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/please-dont-hate-me-im-a-senior/article24101585/

I forgot about the fundamentalist, religious, anti-technology and socially conservative undertones of the party base.

argh, forgot to take my anti-cynical pills this morning.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
It's true.  They also do want to cater to the senior citizens.

I can't figure out which numbers are true though, when it comes to seniors and poverty.  I know Layton was deeply concerned with the number of seniors living below the poverty line and I thought it was quite a bit higher than 5 percent.

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
Very well written counter argument Kash.  A shame that your remarks stating that other benefits are in place for single parents, especially with lower incomes are largely ignored by the anti-income splitting crowd.  I realize my own opinion is skewed because I retrieve the full 2k despite the original promise of much more) because I earn a good income and my wife stays at home with our two kids under 4.  The main beef I have with anti-income splitting rhetoric is that most incorrectly state that the government is 'giving' these people up to 2k, when they have fact returned 2k of the 36k I paid in income taxes last year.

For what it is worth, I put that 2k into RESP accounts for my kids, I did not use it to fund an additional crate of cavier.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!