Author Topic: How to eat for $0.40 a day!  (Read 1835 times)

ajenns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to eat for $0.40 a day!
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
This lady has it down!  She grows a ton of food in Vegas, stocks up on sales, and bulk cooks.  I've been following her for some time and it amazes me how frugal she is with every penny that comes her way.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with her faith (she's Mormon, but doesn't preach on her blog). 

She also has 7 kids!  I think she could teach all of us a few things.  Anyway, thought y'all might like it

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/cooking/learn/40-cents-a-day

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to eat for $0.40 a day!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
Wow, I bet she's putting a whole lot of hours into that, though.

I wonder if she figured in the cost of water for her garden being that she's in the desert.  We're getting plenty of free water here today. 

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:50:16 PM »
This lady has it down!  She grows a ton of food in Vegas, stocks up on sales, and bulk cooks.  I've been following her for some time and it amazes me how frugal she is with every penny that comes her way.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with her faith (she's Mormon, but doesn't preach on her blog). 

She also has 7 kids!  I think she could teach all of us a few things.  Anyway, thought y'all might like it

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/cooking/learn/40-cents-a-day

Actually she has 8, and is pregnant with #9.

Cali

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
Fascinating! She definitely has it down to a science!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
If a store has apples on sale for .79 a pound and oranges on sale for .39 a pound, I'll buy oranges, and lots of them. I know the oranges can last a few months in my refrigerator, so I won't hesitate to buy 40 pounds (or even 80 pounds).
My family eats 50 pounds of potatoes in a week from November through February. At .10 a pound, I'm spending $5 a week for 50 pounds of food.

Buying oranges and potatoes in bulk is cheating. ;P  Otherwise definitely some good tips, thanks for sharing!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
She has a weekly "frugal accomplishments" post on her blog. The post is great and the comments are a great source of frugal inspiration and support.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
This is not real frugality. She has a full time orcharding and cooking job, for which she is paid only in food. All non food expenses, including what I assume is an enormous gardening equipment and consumables bill and the water bill, are paid for by her husband, A REAL ESTATE agent in a HCOL  area.
Thatís a fine way to live, but not for those of us who also need careers in other fields, money, or both.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:51:28 AM by stashja »

kpetar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
How about her time? As the old adage goes, time is money. It's a popular line for a reason, it's true!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 10:30:39 PM »
This is not real frugality. She has a full time orcharding and cooking job, for which she is paid only in food. All non food expenses, including what I assume is an enormous gardening equipment and consumables bill and the water bill, are paid for by her husband, A REAL ESTATE agent in a HCOL  area.
Thatís a fine way to live, but not for those of us who also need careers in other fields, money, or both.

1. Aren't there many ways to be frugal? Are one-income, two-parent households less "real" than other household styles?

2. She and her family lived out of her food storage (one of the principles taught by her LDS religion) for two years when her husband, a real-estate agent in a HCOL area, had little to no income during the Great Recession in 2007-2008 or so. She was raising four children and added a fifth baby during that time.

You can read about that experience here:
http://theprudenthomemaker.com/living-on-food-storage
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Meh, you know I doubt she'd be able to make enough money in a career to pay for daycare for her 9 children (though the eldest is in college now).

Las Vegas is HCOL?  I mean, it's not low, but it's no California, DC, Chicago, NY.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
I have her blog bookmarked, and look at it frequently, though my life could not be more different. Like Amy Dacyczyn, she uses creativity to lead an elegant life on very little money. Her husband’s income has been extremely variable and they rely on her housekeeping skills to keep expenses low. They also homeschool. I admire her.

Her garden is watered through a drip irrigation system they installed and maintain themselves. Her water costs are less than her neighbors’.

Abe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:21:57 AM »

fru∑gal∑i∑ty: fro͞oˈɡalədē
noun: the quality of being economical with money or food; thriftiness.

I think it meets the definition. Not all situations that are frugal are directly applicable to your current life.

Seadog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 04:18:16 AM »

This. If you conveniently ignore opportunity cost, a lot of shit can be skewed. Handy around the house and own it outright? Well I guess you're living more or less for just the price of property tax. Is that repeatable? Not really unless "Get 500k to buy a home, and take a year to learn these skills" are trivial steps, and you ignore the value of your time and what else that 500k could do. Can Joe 6 pack take some useful tips and do these things about food? Sure. All you need is to quit your job, somehow figure out how that new $50k deficit will be funded, manage to get some arable land, a bunch of farming equipment, spend all your time working it, and presto. Food for "free".

Similarly, and not sure if I should mention this but I've found a great trick for getting free money, all you need to do is come to this place each day for 8-12 hours and do what some guy in a corner office tells you. On a forum about finance, I'm surprised this obscure financial hacking technique for free money isn't more popular.   

Kyle Schuant

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 07:02:07 AM »
Yes, it is frugality. Remember that not everyone's goal is a money income and complete idleness. The things she does do not merely cost her time, but provide her other benefits. It's like walking or riding to work rather than driving - it costs time, but being out in the fresh air and getting your heart rate up help boost mood, cardiovascular fitness and reduce the risk of heart disease, and so on.

However we choose to live our lives, everything has costs and benefits. We simply have to each decide what costs we are willing to pay, and what benefits we get from the things we pay for - in time, effort and money.
Athletic Club East - curing iron deficiency

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
Similarly, and not sure if I should mention this but I've found a great trick for getting free money, all you need to do is come to this place each day for 8-12 hours and do what some guy in a corner office tells you. On a forum about finance, I'm surprised this obscure financial hacking technique for free money isn't more popular.   

They only pay you for the first 8 hrs ;)

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »

They only pay you for the first 8 hrs ;)

Depends on the job!

Slow2FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »

Meh, you know I doubt she'd be able to make enough money in a career to pay for daycare for her 9 children (though the eldest is in college now).

Las Vegas is HCOL?  I mean, it's not low, but it's no California, DC, Chicago, NY.

Las Vegas is definitely not HCOL.

Only MCOL.  About the same COL as Phoenix area and Raleigh area.  Much, much, much cheaper than DC, LA, Seattle, NY, SF.