Author Topic: Here's The Budget For A Family Of 6 Living On $59,000 A Year  (Read 3362 times)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Here's The Budget For A Family Of 6 Living On $59,000 A Year
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
I didn't think it was so heinous to be placed in the anti-mustachian forum. They do have a budget, they set aside a small amount for coffee. But $60/month in parking tickets, private school, and a lot of tithing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/budgeting-large-family-2014-12

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Here's The Budget For A Family Of 6 Living On $59,000 A Year
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
a lot of tithing.

FYI, "tithe" literally means "tenth," as in, "one-tenth of your earnings." For those who believe in tithing, 10% is not "a lot" but rather exactly what is expected.

For me, the anti-mustachian parts are that they have a $925 mortgage but still somehow spent $1417 on "housing/utilities" ($500/month in utilities?!), and that their "other expenses," at almost $2000, is their biggest budgeting category. They need to break it out (that $740/month for private school belongs in it's own category, for example).

Also, is it just me or is it weird that they live in a "small city" in upstate New York, but apparently don't have off-street parking?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
That is so sad. Definitely Dave Ramsey types.  I love their budget,  might as well put down just two categories. - house and everything else. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Already being discussed here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/financial-bloggers-mark-and-lauren-g/

MOD NOTE: Locking thread to keep discussion in one place.  Please go to the above thread to discuss.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.