Author Topic: Grocery “happy hour” to reduce food waste?  (Read 4943 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Grocery “happy hour” to reduce food waste?
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:15:07 AM »
Interesting approach to reducing food waste (NY Times, requires subscription after 10 free articles/month): The World Wastes Tons of Food. A Grocery ‘Happy Hour’ Is One Answer

imadandylion

• Stubble
Re: Grocery “happy hour” to reduce food waste?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:26:13 AM »
It's a good idea. Seems like discounts stores like grocery outlet and sprouts are kind of like that too? Their angle isn't to say things are on sale, but they sell old food.

Ananas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 05:53:04 AM »
One of our local supermarket chains marks things that have the last sell by date as -30% and during the last day and during the last opening hours of that day it is -60% of the sticker price. Supposedly this has cut down on stuff going into the trash and improving revenue. So it was a win-win. Also they found that people who buy the -60% stuff were generally not the same people who buy it when its not on sale, so theres not so much cannibalization as they were expecting.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:13:36 AM »
This is quite common in the UK too, always worth visiting the supermarket in the early evening. 75% discounts are common, and 90% discounts are not unheard of. Sometimes when I go too early I see 25% or 50% discounts and think "pffft, is that the best you can do?"

On quite a few occasions I've walked out with a full backpack of food for about £6, and filled up the freezer. You even occasionally see news stories about people fighting in the supermarket over yellow sticker bargains.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
Seems like a solid plan. Supermarkets already discount food that's near expiry, so making it an official policy could get more of it to freezers and tables instead of trash cans.