Author Topic: Forbes: Quit Your Job: 7 Cheap Places In The U.S.  (Read 4601 times)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Forbes: Quit Your Job: 7 Cheap Places In The U.S.
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Since this topic comes up every so often, I thought I would share this list of seven places with LCOL and high-quality of life:

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Emporia, Kansas
Conway, Arkansas
Statesboro, Georgia
San Angelo, Texas
Sparta, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/09/06/quit-your-job-7-places-in-the-u-s-so-cheap-you-can-afford-to-be-an-entrepreneur/#38f006ce533f

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
Re: Forbes: Quit Your Job: 7 Cheap Places In The U.S.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Since this topic comes up every so often, I thought I would share this list of seven places with LCOL and high-quality of life:

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Emporia, Kansas
Conway, Arkansas
Statesboro, Georgia
San Angelo, Texas
Sparta, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/09/06/quit-your-job-7-places-in-the-u-s-so-cheap-you-can-afford-to-be-an-entrepreneur/#38f006ce533f

Devils advocate: Sell me on why I would want to live in some of these locations? I randomly picked San Angelo and just by looking at the map it seems like a death sentence. No where close to a major city, body of water, mountain, national park,etc I'm sure there are some good reasons to live there but on my superficial research Im not seeing it.

I can see living in a place like Colorado Springs: Close to Mountains (Beauty), Major city (Culture), Major Airport (Travel)

Chattanooga I heard good things about.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
To put it bluntly, a great list if you are white, straight, and Christian.

But if you deviate from this profile, these conservative Southern cities are probably a poor choice.

It's also interesting to note the magazine's namesake, Malcolm Forbes, was reportedly a closeted gay man. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:58 AM »

Chattanooga is pretty cool.  Close to Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta.  Great
outdoor activities and Tennessee has no income tax.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:52 AM »
I've heard Death Valley is also very LCOL. Land is cheap and its very warm. 
List is shit (outside of maybe Chatanooga, but i like the mustachian connection.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:37 AM »
Yeah, the people there are awfully close-minded

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
The Forbes article in the original post is titled: Quit Your Job: 7 Places In The U.S. So Cheap You Can Afford To Be An Entrepreneur https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/09/06/quit-your-job-7-places-in-the-u-s-so-cheap-you-can-afford-to-be-an-entrepreneur/#251fbaeb533f

My thought was more that the middle class in these small cities is not diverse, and those who do not match the blueprint will have some difficulty with developing social ties in the business community (and the broader community).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
The Forbes article in the original post is titled: Quit Your Job: 7 Places In The U.S. So Cheap You Can Afford To Be An Entrepreneur https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/09/06/quit-your-job-7-places-in-the-u-s-so-cheap-you-can-afford-to-be-an-entrepreneur/#251fbaeb533f

My thought was more that the middle class in these small cities is not diverse, and those who do not match the blueprint will have some difficulty with developing social ties in the business community (and the broader community).
Wow, that's quite the preconceived notion you've got there.  Have you actually witnessed that?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »

Devils advocate: Sell me on why I would want to live in some of these locations? I randomly picked San Angelo and just by looking at the map it seems like a death sentence. No where close to a major city, body of water, mountain, national park,etc I'm sure there are some good reasons to live there but on my superficial research Im not seeing it.

I can see living in a place like Colorado Springs: Close to Mountains (Beauty), Major city (Culture), Major Airport (Travel)

I have a number of friends from San Angelo. It sounded like a decent place. Some moved back there after college.  It has a university so they have cultural events that that brings as well as sporting events to attend.

It's an easy drive to skiing in New Mexico, about 8 hours.  It is also only a 5 hour drive to Big Bend National Park.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »

Wow, that's quite the preconceived notion you've got there.  Have you actually witnessed that?

Yes, I have experienced the discrimination first hand in two of the cities on this list.

I am a gay white male (raised in Mississippi) who was partnered for about 8 years with an amazingly kind "non-white" man who is generally assumed to be Muslim.

We had experiences in two of the cities on this list that left us never wanting to return.

We were told a nationally branded hotel was 'over-booked' even though we had called to reserve a room about 30 minutes prior. I chose not to make an issue of it in the moment (I had elite status with the particular hotel brand.), and addressed it later through the national office.

In another case, we were continually passed over in the reservation list in a restaurant.

As someone who presents as stereotypical straight and white, I never really experienced subtle discrimination until I was seen with my partner. The first year together was a tough time for me as I learned first hand the indignity he had experienced his entire life.