Author Topic: Florida teacher quits job to make $100,000 a year grocery shopping  (Read 3477 times)

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
If this doesn't belong on this board, please move.

I thought this was very interesting and I didn't even know this existed.  This could fall into a side hustle or as a job with no degree required.

"Florida teacher quits his job to make $100,000 a year shopping for groceries with Shipt":
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/27cb36e7-f587-3489-9b9c-777fb36d490d/ss_florida-teacher-quits-his-job.html

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Florida teacher quits job to make $100,000 a year grocery shopping
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
In the article, it stated you could make "$22 an hour, or more". That would be $45,000 per year, with the "or more" part being 110% of "or more" to get to 100k.

Nothing more than click bait.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
I assume the $100k is before vehicle costs, but the numbers still don't add up. I wonder if he is taking advantage of some kind of point system or rebates on these groceries as well. (People who hire grocery delivery probably don't use ibotta or savings catcher, so he could make a lot from their receipts). Either way the people hiring him need a punch in the face.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
The story here is that a teacher with 20 years of experience was only making $50k/year. We can do better than this America.

branman42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
The story here is that a teacher with 20 years of experience was only making $50k/year. We can do better than this America.

Even in low cost of living Dayton, the lowest you could be paid as a school teacher after 20 years would be $63k, and it would likely be closer to $80k. Changing it to 250 days instead of 184 means those figures are more like $85k and $108k, if they worked year round.

Some states don't pay their teachers well. Florida is a big one, which is a big reason I do not want to move there until either FI or my fiancee becomes a SAHM since she would lose so much money (especially comparing cost of living) when moving from Dayton to Florida as a teacher.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »

Some states don't pay their teachers well. Florida is a big one, which is a big reason I do not want to move there...

I do live in Florida, and I was employed as a teacher. It was a private school that didn't pay as well as the local public schools, too. Considering the fact that I "retired" to become a SAHD at 35, but my wife still teaches, the pay is good enough. (Yes, both teachers on such a low paying scale we barely made it work, what with our two additional rental properties since becoming teachers in Florida.) This is the MMM forums, $50k/year can provide lots of luxuries, opportunities, and the option to retire early--my wife might have five years left. What's with all the complainy pants, woe-are-teachers comments? Summers, weekends, and holidays off. (I do understand that some time is spent working/grading at home if the teacher is wildly inefficient with their time at school.)

Side note: if you asked me, there are a lot of other perks to Florida that come with the supposed downside of teacher salary. Weather. No state income taxes. Virtually no snow/ice ever. Ability to garden year round. Citrus trees in my yard. This coming after two bad hurricane years (Irma and Matthew).

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
I assume the $100k is before vehicle costs, but the numbers still don't add up. I wonder if he is taking advantage of some kind of point system or rebates on these groceries as well. (People who hire grocery delivery probably don't use ibotta or savings catcher, so he could make a lot from their receipts). Either way the people hiring him need a punch in the face.

I would be interested in more detail on how he is making this much. From the article he is working 50-60 hours a week. At $22 per hour that is only $68,640 for 60 hours. He says he developed his own system to do it. Never been on the shopper side of Shipt so maybe he is able to shop for multiple orders at a time?

As for the face punch, my wife and I use Shipt and find it beneficial. We signed up during a promotion so it was around $50 for the year and no delivery fees as long as the order is at least $35.