Author Topic: Family of Four Living on $14,000  (Read 9710 times)

vern

• Pencil Stache
Family of Four Living on $14,000
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Family of Four Living on $14,000
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
hahaha at all the negative comments. People are just so negative in the World.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
I read that article on Business Insider, and  immediately wondered if she was already on this forum somewhere.  I was very impressed with her diligence and tenacity... and of course, frugality.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I want more info on how she does it!
ETA:  And what her blog link is.  Why mention her blog and not give a link?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:44:23 PM by Gin1984 »

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Here's the blog http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com I haven't read it but Google is your friend

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Haha comments.

"But what about the children?????!! No treats? They are being damaged 4 life!"

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/2012/06/how-does-she-live-on-budget.html

I tried to read the whole thing, I really did, but the centered text and whiplash of font and size changes did me in. That said, not everyone likes their frugality delivered with facepunches and swear-words, so good for her for spreading the message in her way and connecting with so many people to share her tips.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »

I tried to read the whole thing, I really did, but the centered text and whiplash of font and size changes did me in. That said, not everyone likes their frugality delivered with facepunches and swear-words, so good for her for spreading the message in her way and connecting with so many people to share her tips.

And I can understand why.  UI/UX professional would have fun with it.

griffin

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Hard to believe that they have 2 years worth of expenses in automobiles o.o
You would think someone so intent on budgeting would shy away from a 22k van.
Inspiring nonetheless!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
It's not that hard. If I had a cash house and no student loans, we could easily live off $14K for a family of 5.

Dumb blonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »

And I can understand why.  UI/UX professional would have fun with it.

:-) My hands were itching to start working on that site. The font size, the layout, the new tabs opening when clicking a link... A simple wordpress site with a free theme would solve the whole problem without costing a penny.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
It's not that hard. If I had a cash house and no student loans, we could easily live off $14K for a family of 5.
I am not sure of that.  Even discounting daycare and our mortgage, we are only down to $21,000 for a family of three.  And we only have one car.  Granted we both work so that cuts down what we can save. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
I am not sure of that.  Even discounting daycare and our mortgage, we are only down to $21,000 for a family of three.  And we only have one car.  Granted we both work so that cuts down what we can save.

Necessities: $450
Fuel: $100
Auto/Life/Home: $120
Utilities incl Internet and cheapo cell: $280

That's $12K. It doesn't include health insurance, but at this income level, plans are heavily subsidized and you'd get the EITC.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »

That's $12K. It doesn't include health insurance, but at this income level, plans are heavily subsidized and you'd get the EITC.
Our property taxes and home insurance are $250/month by themselves, you add in food, I personally could not do it.  And, I was thinking 14K total, not we have extra money with EITC (which since they did not have earned income that year, I don't think they would get).  I have decent insurance and my daughter got extremely sick and we had to go to the ER.  Bye bye the $250 copay.  I guess I just put these kinds of things in the budget because they do pop up, instead of having them under "savings", so I don't see it working.  Maybe others have a better experience .

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
:-) My hands were itching to start working on that site. The font size, the layout, the new tabs opening when clicking a link... A simple wordpress site with a free theme would solve the whole problem without costing a penny.

Maybe you should write her! If good info isn't getting out because of a simple fix, that's your charity for the day!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »
I did forget property taxes, but on a house worth $40k, it is probably $1,000 at most.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
I did forget property taxes, but on a house worth $40k, it is probably $1,000 at most.
My house is only worth $60,000 but it is in NYS which does have a higher than normal property tax rate.  The scary thing is that we picked one of the lower end townships, in regards to that.  One of the ones a few minutes from us has a 8% rate, instead of our 4%.  I think it boils down to every person and every area are different.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
It also sounds like it is temporary to get him thru school & into a better job. It would get very tiring to live like that forever.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »

Our property taxes and home insurance are $250/month by themselves, you add in food, I personally could not do it.  And, I was thinking 14K total, not we have extra money with EITC (which since they did not have earned income that year, I don't think they would get).  I have decent insurance and my daughter got extremely sick and we had to go to the ER.  Bye bye the $250 copay.  I guess I just put these kinds of things in the budget because they do pop up, instead of having them under "savings", so I don't see it working.  Maybe others have a better experience .

If we don't count the mortgage (currently paying $800/mo), we are easily under $14k/year. That's with two toddlers in diapers. And two cars. (And low property taxes, I guess :P).

Mortgage & Rent   $800
Utilities          $243
Gasoline         $175
Property Tax      $106
Personal Care      $75
Home Supplies      $69
Auto Insurance   $65
Food                $200
Home Insurance   $55
Auto Maint.      $30
Clothing          $30
Internet          $22
Amusement       $20
Life Insurance       $17
Education          $15
Home Phone       $10
Auto lic/registration   $8 

Total:                      $1940

Shameless plug... http://themillionairefund.blogspot.com/

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »

If we don't count the mortgage (currently paying $800/mo), we are easily under $14k/year. That's with two toddlers in diapers. And two cars. (And low property taxes, I guess :P).

Mortgage & Rent   $800
Utilities          $243
Gasoline         $175
Property Tax      $106
Personal Care      $75
Home Supplies      $69
Auto Insurance   $65
Food                $200
Home Insurance   $55
Auto Maint.      $30
Clothing          $30
Internet          $22
Amusement       $20
Life Insurance       $17
Education          $15
Home Phone       $10
Auto lic/registration   $8 

Total:                      $1940

Shameless plug... http://themillionairefund.blogspot.com/
How do you get your food and auto Maint. so low?  And, I am going to go read your blog!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
Food is actually high for us right now-- it used to be $130/month, so $200 seems outrageously lavish to me. We buy in bulk (Azure Standard & Costco), shop the weekly sales at the grocery stores, we eat simply, and we don't eat out. I know, I know, you need more detail...

As far as auto maintenance: we have two reliable cars? I don't know what else to blame it on. We have a '95 Civic and a '96 Civic and never had any real problems with them. Just change the oil and keep fluids full-- and the local auto parts chains usually have a 19.99 oil special (5qts + filter) which I'll do every 4 months or so. $20/month is actually enough to keep the maintenance fund positive for small stuff, but I'm currently also saving up for new tires for the '96 (the '95 currently has almost-brand-new tires); I expect to pay about $50/tire a year or so from now.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
I have lived in 5 different states and food costs really vary. Also I noticed that food has gone up a lot lately. We shop at Winco which is the cheapest in our part of the country.  A few years ago we spent 200/month on food at home but now spend 300.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
We live in rural Pacific NW (WA)...here's what we actually bought over the last three months, courtesy of our budget spreadsheet:

The Azure expenses are mainly bulk oatmeal and flour.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Ok, so next question, what kind of meals do you eat?  Recipes and such?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
I just made the Crockpot Sesame Honey Chicken from http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com and it smells delicious in here!

Her recipes are quite yummy!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
My wife stays home, so we make our meals from scratch (no box mixes, etc.).

We eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning. We buy a 50lb bag of quick oats for $25, and it lasts us about 2 months. We don't use milk.

Lunches are usually leftovers or, if there aren't leftovers, fruit, veggies, popcorn, oven fried potatoes, or eggs.

Dinners:

pizza (from scratch)
rice-based dishes-- stir-fry, taco rice,
sandwiches (homemade bread)
scrambled eggs/sausage/potatoes
pasta w/veggies & meat
burritos
lentil soup
pea soup
chili
pancakes (w/nuts, fruit sauce, sometimes gravy)

My wife doesn't like to follow recipes, so most of the time she just "wings it" and things turn out pretty well. We try to make sure we eat some sort of green(ish) vegetable and a whole fruit per person every day. Bananas are a great & healthy inexpensive fruit (we get them at Costco for under $0.50/lb).

We have a big chest freezer, so when there is a good sale on meat or cheese or butter (or ice cream, as you can see in May...), we stock up.

Price-points I look for when grocery shopping (or rather, when looking through the flyers making a list):
Beef: under $3-4/lb (usually ground, or sometimes weekly specials)
Chicken: $0.88-2/lb (whole chickens will go on special for under $1/lb, boneless skinless pieces I'll find occasionally for $1.99/lb)
Pork: under $1.50/lb
Eggs: $1/doz

Fruits & veggies: under $1/lb (I can get frozen mixed veggies for under $1.50/lb at Costco; I keep those in the freezer for weeks when there isn't a good veggie sale)