Author Topic: Career "winning streak"  (Read 1742 times)

kelvin

• Stubble
Career "winning streak"
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm a regular reader of greaterfool.com. Someone posted a comment there I found interesting:

"I read an article recently describing how people have “winning streaks” in their careers just like athletes and teams do, sometimes more than one, most times not. If you are on a winning streak, save your money. It might not last. I knew Brian Hunter (Amaranth) personally back in the day. Not closely, but by name and we’d had the odd beer together. Classic example of “here today, gone tomorrow”. The Wikipedia description isn’t exactly what happened, I have some more information on that than what has been posted. But the details don’t matter, what matters is to understand that the sun doesn’t shine every day." (https://www.greaterfool.ca/2018/08/31/the-pups/ Comment #31 by Nonplused.)

Does anyone know of the article this person is talking about? I can't leave a comment asking the poster. I really like the concept of a career having winning/losing streaks. I know it fits better with what I've actually seen in my life, and the approach can help me ensure I don't invest too much in one dead end.

I just landed my first middle class job. I have a firm handle on LBYM and an FU stash, I'm not scared of investing or long term financial planning. The gaps in my knowledge are around career maintenance/advancement/shifting careers before they expire.

My career is my most valuable asset right now. Any recommended reading would be appreciated.

(I work in IT.)

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
Re: Career "winning streak"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
This seems like a fit:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05682-0

For me, the "winning streak" came because of...

1. High growth company
2. High margin industry
3. Establishing myself as a solid performer over 4+ years

...and then I FIRE'd in the middle of the streak!

Good luck!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
^I'll second this.

I chose to work for a risky startup instead of mega corp.
Risky startup was in a high profit niche. Mega corp was in the same fields as every other civil engineering firm.

After working above and beyond what anyone could ask for 4 years, I am in a position and pay grade that would have taken me a decade or more at mega corp. Mega corp attracts great and talented people, it's hard to stand out. Risky startup attracts people that cannot get hired by mega corp, it's easy to stand out.

Classic risk reward. This startup is 1 bad job from insolvency. Until then the bonuses and raises are way above industry standard, so to me it's worth it. Benifits are better at megacorp though.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I have a few ideas on where I want to go from here, but few concrete plans. I'll keep your advice in mind while I scout out new opportunities.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
I just made a move into a smaller private company to increase the odds of a winning streak.

You gotta make hay while the sun is shining. Learned quickly at my last company that here today, gone tomorrow is a stark reality........especially in a profession like sales.