Author Topic: Budgeting as a teacher  (Read 382 times)

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Budgeting as a teacher
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
This article explains the budget for a FI minded teacher. As someone looking for teaching jobs and substitute teaching, this is something to keep in mind. Although I think teachers should get paid for overtime and compensated more, this is a good example to how to live frugally or affordable as a teacher. I would truly be curious taking a peak into teachers budgets.

https://monkeyfreeme.com/2018/04/08/what-a-teacher-budget-looks-like/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkfan1979

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Budgeting as a teacher
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
I think Texas ranks fairly high on teacher salary relative to cost of living.

My first job out of grad school was a full-time college instructor at a State University in Florida. With a Ph.D. my starting salary was 40K. After 4 years of experience by salary was increased to 42.6K. This was 2011 to 2015.

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Budgeting as a teacher
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:13 PM »
International school teachers have a different budget. Here's a sample monthly budget from China for a family of three, with only one person working:

$5000   Net salary - school takes care of the taxes and gives us the post-tax remainder. Salaries typically range from $4000 to $6000 per month, depending on the school

$0        Housing - free; provided by the school; typically a recently-built 2 or 3 bedroom furnished apartment close to school
$20      Water
$10      Gas
$40      Electricity - this is if you're really spendy; it can be lower if you don't use your heat/AC as much

$0        Lunch - provided on weekdays by the school
$600    Other groceries - purchasing imported/certified safe food from the fancy schmancy store, eating out at restaurants
$100    Transportation - mainly taxi, bus, subway - the school's housing is actually biking distance from school. This is for weekend travel.
$0        Education - teachers' kids can attend the fancy private international school for free
$100    Miscellaneous - clothing, gadgets, gifts
$83      Annual flight back to home country, spread out over 12 months - the teacher gets their flight reimbursed, this is for SO and kiddo's flights

$953    Total Monthly Expenses

$4047  Monthly savings/investment money

For international teachers, because your biggest expense (housing) is taken care of, and because you typically don't drive here and public transportation is cheap, cost of living really goes down and savings really go up. BTW, there is a huge need for foreign (read, Western) licensed teachers here, which is why salaries are quite competitive. Salaries also factor in a "hardship" allowance, since it is not easy living in a developing country.