Author Topic: ARebelSpy is becoming a star!  (Read 5416 times)

Polaria

• Stubble
ARebelSpy is becoming a star!
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
Re: ARebelSpy is becoming a star!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
That is awesome.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Merci Polaria, c'est un lien interessant aussi pour exercer le français. (Et je m' excuse si j' ai fait une faute grammatique).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »
I can't read it, but I recognize the pictures.  Neat, thanks for the heads up!  :)

I feel silly sharing our story, but the more people that hear about ER as a possibility, the better, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »
I can't read it, but I recognize the pictures.  Neat, thanks for the heads up!  :)

I feel silly sharing our story, but the more people that hear about ER as a possibility, the better, IMO.

Google translate. A few snippets and you can probably confirm it as the original article.

Ow you need to go there - and bask in your mobs of adoring fans, oui?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »
It's the same article best I remember the Business Insider one. Maybe shorter. It's all upbeat, no criticism. Your money quotes are translated into Euros everywhere but the headline. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
Your money quotes are translated into Euros everywhere but the headline. :)

That's okay; by the time I ER'd, we had over 1MM even exchanging to EUR at a 1.12ish USD to EUR rate (the rate when we FIRE'd in June 2016), so it's still accurate.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
Very cool! I'm wondering if Europeans in general are more open to the concept of FIRE at a very young age compared to most Americans who seem to think its impossible?

They are not. People just dont believe it is possible or desirable.
Hello from Germany 😊

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
They have 2 months of vacation per year, so they don't need to FIRE! :)

I find the US surprisingly pro early retirement, relatively. Maybe it's the SF bay area, but I hear people talking about FIRE all the time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:37:37 PM by gerardc »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Very cool! I'm wondering if Europeans in general are more open to the concept of FIRE at a very young age compared to most Americans who seem to think its impossible?
I'm paid 3 to 4 times more in the US for a similar job position, than what I would be paid in France. I feel some countries such as the US provide more opportunities to 1) Spend less and 2) Make more than countries such as France. The result, in my opinion, is that France has much less income inequalities, but it also reduces the possibility to retire early (less options).

Also, France has a tax on wealth beyond 1.3 Million euros, and that includes the value of your house (with some percentage exemption on the value of the house). For people trying to live off their investments, that puts a cap on how much you can expect to live off of. The rate is significant enough that it blows the 4% rule if I remember correctly. As a result, "FI" in France requires doing lots of clever things such as owning your own company, buying art pieces as investment, etc... to avoid having those assets counted towards the Wealth tax.

Investing, last time I checked, is also more expensive. Super low fee ETFs like Vanguard and Schwabs exist but to that you need to add fees from whatever institution you go through (which is true pretty much everywhere outside of the US btw)

Not everything's dark. This is counterbalanced by great healthcare and social security, so you probably need much less to live than you would in the US.

But the result IMO is that it is much more difficult to do something "different" such as FIRE in France. To get the full Social Security you need to work 42 years. If you don't and expect to live off your investments, you'll probably be hit by the Wealth Tax. I don't know if the rest of Europe has similar situations.

That being said, there exist resources/forums about FIRE in French and how to achieve it in France.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!