Author Topic: 1890's anachronistic lifestyle; mustachian?  (Read 4149 times)

TropicNebraska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 1890's anachronistic lifestyle; mustachian?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »
As I was reading that I have to admit I was thinking to myself, "I do that", "I want to be able to do that", "One day I'll be able to do that". I think there's a lot of overlap between this type of lifestyle, the more modern version of "simple" living and mustachianism. But on the other hand, there are as many varieties of mustachianism as there are people on these boards, so this kind of thing would by no means be for everyone.

I do wonder at the lack of mention of computers. At first I got the impression they were both academics but a second reading made me think otherwise. Have just had a quick look at her website and it seems she does teach some English, is an author and a massage therapist. At any rate, even tracking down some of the items they are now using in daily life would seem to have definitely involved using the internet at some stage, I would think. Obviously, though, you can can't all the information about everything into one short essay. I'm very tempted to try and get my hands on her book though.

Basically, I think it'd be a great way to live but I do have one or two modern conveniences that I'd prefer to keep (computer/internet and washing machine). Oh, and think I'd be looking for ways to amend the clothes so that a corset wouldn't be necessary. I don't necessarily see the value in rejecting of every advance we've made. But it's for each to choose for themselves, I suppose. Definitely don't think anyone should receive death threats just for living a different kind of life (assuming that life doesn't actually harm anyone, obviously).

I loved the Victorian Farm series, too. Must re-watch that soon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:12:04 AM by Moonwaves »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
I just clicked through to this couple's blog and read the bicycling page. Very cool stuff!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »

I loved the Victorian Farm series, too. Must re-watch that soon.

Have you seen all of the others too? They are all fantastic! Special mention to "Tales from the Green Valley" and "Secrets of the Castle", though.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:50:05 PM »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:05 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 06:04:41 AM »
Hmm.  What do they do as work, like to make a living?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
Funny you posted the 1900s house - I just watched the 1940s version last weekend and was wondering when I'd find time to watch the 1900s one. :)

As for the couple in the OP, she is a massage therapist and he works at a library, I think. They both also seem to have written books and they do consulting work for historical projects/events. I assume the website earns something as well. I was sure I'd seen a video on their website of daily life but perhaps it was just all of the photos on the our home section because I can't find anything now.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »
I think I actually met these people.  They were at the Lavender Festival in Sequim, WA this year.  They were riding their bikes and all dressed up in their Victorian clothes.  It was very cool.

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
Hmm.  What do they do as work, like to make a living?

Looks like he works at a bike shop (B.I. Cycle). On her blog, she said she was a teacher/tutor for a while. Perhaps now she makes money from her books and blog.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »
If these are the people I met, she hands out a card that says she is a writer