Author Topic: 10 Reasons You Have To Quit Your Job In 2014 by James Altucher  (Read 12862 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140407131300-5858595-10-reasons-you-have-to-quit-your-job-in-2014?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

1) The middle class is dead.
2) You’ve been replaced
3) Corporations don’t like you.
4) Money is not happiness.
5) Count right now how many people can make a major decision that can ruin your life.
...more in article

I especially liked the link to the author's Ultimate Cheat Sheet for Dealing with Excuses.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:23:09 AM by BlueHouse »

thek1d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 10 Reasons You Have To Quit Your Job In 2014 by James Altucher
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Article starts off with:

"My boss screamed at me in front of my colleagues. I had done something wrong of course. I had sent a product to the client without debugging it thoroughly. It was my fault. But I don’t like being yelled at."

So basically he wasn't good at what he did, got yelled at for it and now every job sucks.  Article mostly reads as fear mongering to me. Middle class is dead? Virtually every single person on this website is the middle class. Everyone should be an entrepreneur?  Some people aren't cut out for it and would rather just show up and do work (I know a lot of engineers that are like this).

Points 2 and 3 that you highlight I agree with. I work for a Big4 accounting firm so I have first hand experience with both, sadly.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
So basically he wasn't good at what he did, got yelled at for it and now every job sucks.  Article mostly reads as fear mongering to me. Middle class is dead? Virtually every single person on this website is the middle class. Everyone should be an entrepreneur?  Some people aren't cut out for it and would rather just show up and do work (I know a lot of engineers that are like this).

I was a little lazy and rushed in my initial posting.  I also didn't want to copy/paste the entire article due to copyright issues, so I modified the initial posting by adding 2 more of his 10 reasons.  I got something quite different out of the article than you did, k1d.  I read it as an encouragement to become active in your own future and if you can do something entrepreneurial, then get started on it and if you cannot, then take charge of your own work environment. 
I realize my initial post may not have encouraged you to actually read the article, but I do recommend it (and the excuses article linked to it).   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
I like James Altucher, I subscribe to his blog.

He's a little extreme in some of his views, but has some things that will make you think.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Everyone should be an entrepreneur?  Some people aren't cut out for it and would rather just show up and do work (I know a lot of engineers that are like this).

It's not even as simple as 'just showing up'.  Lots of us engineering types are real good at figuring out how to do something, but have very little idea as to the sort of something that the average consumer would be willing to pay money for.  So I let the entrepreneurial sorts figure that out: I get paid even if your new super-cool gizmo flops in the marketplace.

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
That article was kind of a roller-coaster. Some of it I was cheering, while at others I was yelling "YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM".

Decent read overall though. I think it deserve a slow-clap and a face punch.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
It read to me like a bunch of "rah rah rah" feel goodness with no actual concrete suggestion as to how to accomplish the stated goal.

If I had any blinking idea what to do that was better than what I'm doing now I'd already be doing that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »
It read to me like a bunch of "rah rah rah" feel goodness with no actual concrete suggestion as to how to accomplish the stated goal.

If I had any blinking idea what to do that was better than what I'm doing now I'd already be doing that.

This is why one of James' most commonly repeated advice is to get waiter pads (that they use to take orders) and write down a minimum of 10 ideas a day.  The ideas will be crap at first, but with constant practice, you'll become creative and start having good ideas in there just due to the sheer volume of ideas and practice at creating them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
See that would actually be one concrete way to try to accomplish the stated goal but he didn't really say that in the article itself.

I am skeptical of the premise anyway.   Not everyone's best money making skill lends itself to splitting off on one's own.  For example if you manage A87 compliance audits of large organizations that is something that is always going to involve a job at a large organization  as opposed to your own business.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
See that would actually be one concrete way to try to accomplish the stated goal but he didn't really say that in the article itself.

I am skeptical of the premise anyway.   Not everyone's best money making skill lends itself to splitting off on one's own.  For example if you manage A87 compliance audits of large organizations that is something that is always going to involve a job at a large organization  as opposed to your own business.

I'm of the opinion that someone with moderate thinking skills will be fine.  I don't think their skills are limited to managing those audits and that's it, full stop.

Not everyone should work for themselves, no.  But many can work for themselves (they just might not think they can), and if they hate their job, they should find something else, whether that's working for a different employer or themselves.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
Well I'm not insensitive to that argument.  I do believe you have to draw a line in the sand regarding what you're willing to put up with.  I agree you do have a lot of meaningful choices, I just don't think it's realistic to expect happiness out of work. 

Work is that thing you do because someone pays you.  I think something else has to make you happy in life.

I do not believe that the vast majority of people are ever going to find the overlap of "inherently satisfying activity" and "economically rewarding activity".  We can only have so many professional Starcraft players.

That doesn't mean you can't keep tweaking things until you find some kind of optimal balance though. For me a big step was realizing a few years ago that it IS in fact possible that at some point you won't have to do this crap any more.  XD

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »
That may be the saddest post I've ever read on these forums.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect happiness out of work. 

Ouch.  I think that's not only realistic, but necessary.

IMO... You're doing it wrong.  I demand complete and total happiness and satisfaction from all of life.  Every aspect of it.  I've never been disappointed yet.

Try it.  No, really.  Try it. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »

Are we talking about skills or talents? An auditor may have training and experience specific to A87 compliance, but their methodical and detailed-oriented temperament might be just as well suited to being a freelance tax advisor, etc. It's only the training that's a barrier to entry at that point.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »

IMO... You're doing it wrong.  I demand complete and total happiness and satisfaction from all of life.  Every aspect of it.  I've never been disappointed yet.

This in an incredibly privileged position to be in. 

I'm not discounting what you're saying, but compromise is not the end of the world.  The key is realizing that it is compromise and making the most of your situation until you are in a postion to improve it. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
This in an incredibly privileged position to be in. 

I am absolutely incredibly privileged.  But I get the sense you and I are meaning that in two totally different ways.  :)

The key is realizing that it is compromise and making the most of your situation until you are in a postion to improve it.

And "making the most of your situation" is complete and utter happiness and satisfaction.  What could be more than that?

There is no improvement.  There is no worse or better.  There's just your judgement on it.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »

Agree that may be the saddest post, though I think yours goes too far in the other direction.  Or maybe you're just real easy to please :-)  I don't think I've ever experienced complete & total happiness/satisfaction at anything, ever.  But I still manage to get a reasonable amount.  Work averages maybe 8 on a 0-10 scale, where a lot of people seem to rate theirs a 2 or 3 at best.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »
WOW, this thread is a doozy, not only did it have the saddest post ever, it was then TOPPED by a new saddest post ever.

I don't think I've ever experienced complete & total happiness/satisfaction at anything, ever.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
WOW, this thread is a doozy, not only did it have the saddest post ever, it was then TOPPED by a new saddest post ever.

I don't think I've ever experienced complete & total happiness/satisfaction at anything, ever.

If this post made you sad, you can no longer say that you get complete and total happiness and satisfaction out of life.  Are you disappointed?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »

If this post made you sad, you can no longer say that you get complete and total happiness and satisfaction out of life.  Are you disappointed?

I'm completely and utterly happy.  Something that is sad does not make me sad, just as someone else in a state of hunger doesn't make me hungry.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »

I'm completely and utterly happy.  Something that is sad does not make me sad, just as someone else in a state of hunger doesn't make me hungry.

So, i don't get envious over the amount of money people make, or of people who are in FIRE, but I do get envious when I hear people express this type of sentiment.  Personally, i really don't like my job very much; its stressful and I have a boss I don't like or respect.  I'd really love to do something else, but the pay is good, and I get to work from home which I really like.  But the work itself is a drag. And, to be honest, i'm not really sure what else I would do. 

It's funny because before I discovered MMM, I felt like I had no choices when it came to the things I spent money on (well, we HAVE to have two cars!) Now I see those things as choices.  But I haven't been able to make this mental leap when it comes to work, i.e. seeing myself as having a choice to just quit and do something else. 

If I was by myself, i feel like I would totally tell my boss to f** off and just figure out the next step, but i've got two kids, and my wife is a SAHM so I feel like I'm pretty stuck.   Maybe I just need to tell myself I love my job and it will be so..     

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

Crap, other people being sad makes me sad.  Stupid empathy!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
Happiness and sadness are not mutually exclusive.

Also this might help.

Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Though we're probably getting off topic.  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »

Also this might help.

and listen to others,
be gentle with yourself.
keep peace in your soul.

That's cool, but I prefer Bittersweet Symphony...

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »

Why even sad, let alone saddest ever?  I think I do quite a bit better than most people, in most areas of life.   So if we were talking about wealth, I'm in the top quintile: is it intolerably sad that I'm not up there with Bill Gates?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:15 AM »
Wealth has nothing to do with it.  We were talking about happiness and satisfaction, which you say you've never fully experienced (see the part I quoted).

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:24 AM »
I have a boss I don't like or respect.

This part can be miserable, depending upon the boss (some bosses stink but can successfully be managed or ignored, while a few of the real gems are completely impossible.)

So, in this situation the real question becomes:  what steps can you take to change your boss?  Sometimes that means a move within the company or to a new job.  Other times it means just waiting it out and the boss moves on or there is a reorganization that separates you from the bad boss.

I've had a couple of pretty bad managers in my life (one guy who would screamed at people until they cried, used physical intimidation to scare the men, and sexually harassed the women; later a woman who was insecure, incompetent, and not very bright but very ambitious and regularly back-stabbed everyone including especially people in her own group.)  But I've also had some wonderful managers who were really more mentors than anything else. 

So, it's important to realize that you aren't really "stuck" putting up with a poor situation particularly if it's the boss you hate.  With each of the above bad bosses, it took me about a year to find an even better position and move on.  Just making the mental decision to move on, resolving that it will happen, and taking the weekly small steps in that direction makes it much easier to ignore the bad bosses or endure their idiocy when it is unavoidable.  I had another not quite so horrible boss whom I just didn't like, so I mostly ignored him and happily did my job until he moved on.  Either way just knowing that change will eventually come can be enough to lift one's spirits each day.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
Wealth has nothing to do with it.  We were talking about happiness and satisfaction, which you say you've never fully experienced (see the part I quoted).

It was an analogy, you know?  Like I should feel sad - let alone saddest ever! - because I'm only moderately wealthy, instead of at the top of the Forbes 400?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »

It was an analogy, you know?  Like I should feel sad - let alone saddest ever! - because I'm only moderately wealthy, instead of at the top of the Forbes 400?

No, wealth has nothing to do with it.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »

Also this might help.

and listen to others,
be gentle with yourself.
keep peace in your soul.

That is beautiful.  Thanks.

I was envisioning some sort of hand wavy "It's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates."  kind of thing. 

I still think it's probably easier to achieve this if you won the genetic lottery.  Probably not too many starving children thinking, "Hey, it's cool.  The universe is just unfolding as it should."

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »

Ah, so you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand an analogy.  This explains a lot - possibly including why you are so easily satisfied :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
That must be it.  :)

It's like putting too much air into a balloon, and something bad happens!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:37 PM »
Just had an image of ARS bursting with happiness :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »

Ah, so you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand an analogy.  This explains a lot - possibly including why you are so easily satisfied :-)

I'd rather be Socrates sad than ARS satisfied

- Albert Einstein

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »

I'd rather be Socrates sad than ARS satisfied

- Albert Einstein

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."  - Abraham Lincoln

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »

Also this might help.

It's been a long time since I've seen the Desiderata, though there was a time when I read it every day. Reading it today feels like meeting up with an old friend and realizing that the friend still has relevance to my life today. Thanks for that!

As to the article, I really enjoyed it. Much of what I like about Mr. Money Mustache is that he takes the world as it is and says "This is what we have to work with, this is the hand we've been dealt, now what can we make of it?" This article has the same feel to me. It doesn't mean that I think we should all be entrepreneurs, just as I don't think the central message of MMM is that we should all invest in real estate.

I'm really glad that the OP posted it and introduced me to James Altucher. I'll be watching for more from him.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:44 PM »
I'm really glad that the OP posted it and introduced me to James Altucher. I'll be watching for more from him.

+1

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 05:43:55 AM »
Personally, i really don't like my job very much; its stressful and I have a boss I don't like or respect.  I'd really love to do something else, but the pay is good, and I get to work from home which I really like.  But the work itself is a drag. And, to be honest, i'm not really sure what else I would do. 

To both the author of the "saddest post ever" and thepokercab, I highly recommend this book:
I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It (http://www.amazon.com/Could-Anything-Only-Knew-What/dp/0440505003).  What's the point in spending most of your life in misery?

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Personally, i really don't like my job very much; its stressful and I have a boss I don't like or respect.  I'd really love to do something else, but the pay is good, and I get to work from home which I really like.  But the work itself is a drag. And, to be honest, i'm not really sure what else I would do. 

To both the author of the "saddest post ever" and thepokercab, I highly recommend this book:
I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It (http://www.amazon.com/Could-Anything-Only-Knew-What/dp/0440505003).  What's the point in spending most of your life in misery?

Thanks for the book suggestion!  I've put it on hold at the library.