Author Topic: 'Millennials don’t like fabric softener': sales fall 26 per cent  (Read 21433 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: 'Millennials don’t like fabric softener': sales fall 26 per cent
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
Having spent a lot of time living in hot climates, I also noticed that clothes were coming out of the cold wash smelling less than fresh. So YMMV.

I've washed exclusively with cold water for years now, and for a great many of those years I've been washing thick, sweaty judo and jiu-jitsu gis.  The only way that I could get stuff to smell clean with a single wash was to pre-soak really stinky stuff for about two hours in the washing machine with Oxy-Clean and detergent before running the cycle.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
Maybe my uh, sweat, don't stink...  :-)  Cold wash comes out just as clean smelling as warm.

Maybe you've got really bad water?

Dumb blonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
I'm 47, I have raised 3 kids (youngest is 17) and I have NEVER used fabric softener. Of drying sheets for that matter. I never even heard of them before I lived in Canada as an expat (I'm from the Netherlands). I have very sensitive skin and I wash all clothes with a very soft, almost odorless detergent. Everything is clean, smells good and is soft enough. :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
I'm 47, I have raised 3 kids (youngest is 17) and I have NEVER used fabric softener. Of drying sheets for that matter. I never even heard of them before I lived in Canada as an expat (I'm from the Netherlands). I have very sensitive skin and I wash all clothes with a very soft, almost odorless detergent. Everything is clean, smells good and is soft enough. :-)

It used to be for sale in the Netherlands as well, because I used it during my years as a student when I didn't know better.

frugalsurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
Fabric softener is optional, generally speaking. I use baking soda or washing soda to soften the water and increase the effectiveness of the detergent. Vinegar as a final rinse, is fine.

I don't do cold washes though. Washing at under 60 degrees does leave certain nasty bugs alive, such as E.coli. So loads which include underwear and bedlinen/towels/kitchen stuff should go on a hot wash.

Having spent a lot of time living in hot climates, I also noticed that clothes were coming out of the cold wash smelling less than fresh. So YMMV.

The only time in my life when I've used a hot wash is for sheets once when I had a skin infection.

99.9% of the time a regular cold wash is perfect for your clothes, including sheets and towels, plus it's better for the environment and your wallet.

Air dry in the sun in your worried about hygiene, especially for sheets. I also add a cup of white vinegar to my load to help clean and deoderise the fabric. I also leave my bed unmade (sheets folded back) with my windows open to allow fresh air and sunlight as that's better to help dry out any moisture and kill nasties.

I've never used fabric softener in my life, it's bogus. My clothes are soft, comfortable, fresh and they last for years just using regular greywater safe, plant-based washing liquid. I have shirts that I wear weekly which are 8+ years old and still neat and clean!

People are suckers. Read/listen to 'Predictably Irrational' by Dan Ariely to learn more about how we are tricked by marketing spin doctors into buying junk that we don't actually need.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
If you wash and dry without softener and machine-dry, can you comment on static cling? Do wool balls help?

We're currently using up some detergent with FS that we got from our (millennial, like us) friends that were moving away. Left to my own devices, I use plain detergent and warm water. I've read that oversudsing is a big problem in US laundry habits, so I try to be careful with that. I do use dryer sheets, as I grew up doing, but I've transitioned to only adding them to thin fabrics prone to static which I find very annoying; we use (rubber) dryer balls on towels, sheets, jeans, hoodies, etc, but I felt like they were ripping up t-shirts. Since reading MMM I've started rack-drying most knits/sweaters, synthetics, and nicer clothes I want to last longer, but I'm unwilling to drape the apartment in underwear besides my hand-washed bras (I know some of you do. Kudos!)

We have shared coin-op laundry for the 10 units in the building, so the cost is the same regardless of the settings chosen; you could make an argument for the environment, but the water heater is working to keep the water at temp regardless of the setting you choose, so I'm pretty sure the impact of choosing warm rather than cold here is vanishingly small... What bugs me most about the setup is the dryers have a base setting of 80 mins for a dollar (you can then add at 20min/25c) The towels, etc sometimes need all that time, but a washer-sized load of tees and undies does not. I'll occasionally swap out loads mid-cycle (and maybe add 20min), but that's a hassle to keep track of and takes more consecutive time...

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
I've been using homemade laundry detergent (1 bar grated Fels-Naptha soap, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda) and for fabric softener use vinegar with a bit of essential oil put in the jug.  (Shake before use to distribute.)  My towels are more absorbent and everything seems fresher.  As a plus, the laundry room smells pleasantly of the peppermint oil I used. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 02:00:34 AM »
When I used to work in pantyhose and wore skirts, unless I used fabric softener, everything would cling, but I only ever used it for those clothes (and it worked).  But I solved the problem by ceasing to wear skirts and not wearing pantyhose, and haven't used fabric softener for many years. I hated pantyhose!

Like many (it used to be all) Australians, I line dry, and I actually don't own a dryer, so no dryer sheets for me!

Miss Unleaded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:16 AM »
I'm Gen X (age 43) and have never used it either.  It doesn't makes clothes any cleaner so why bother using it? Also I also have allergic reactions to some laundry detergents. And I prefer scratchy towels.  But for me it has always been primarily an environmental and economic matter.

I don't use dryer sheets for the same reason.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:07 AM »
I'm a millennial (26).. I think...

I have bought a box of dryer sheets.... but it's still going strong 4 years later.

I literally cannot notice the difference if it's been used or not. At this point I'm just running out the box as I'm tired of seeing it!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »

This seems like similar logic to "I just rinse my dishes with water and call them clean." Hopefully you're not doing that as well. Just because you can't see bacteria doesn't mean they aren't there.

Curious as to whether you use toilet paper or if you take a full shower after every trip to the toilet.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
Ths thread is timely.

Last week we went to Walmart. We never go to Walmart, but a friend recoomeded DH go there to get a specific item.  As we walked through the aisle someone handed me a sample it was some kind of laundry smelling freebie thing.

I thought what the hell, I will try this. I put a few of the beads in laundry.

Boy is it smelly! It smells like all of the thrift stores are used but especially Goodwill. Now I know where that smell comes from, most of the donated clothes must be freshly laundered and with  this smelly junk.

I have nothing against thrift stores I have shopped them for decades. But I have never liked the smell.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
We don't typically wash anything with dangerous bacteria, so I use very little detergent.  Like half the bottom line and everything seems fine.  I do like to use a little, as it certainly does help remove oils.  If I was washing diapers, you know I'd be using detergent, hot water and bleach.

This discussion sort of falls into the "do we really need soap" category, where yeah you can live without it but the cost and environmental impact is so minimal it doesn't hurt to use it sparingly.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:21 AM »
My uncle, who is a sales person, once sold my mother some "magic" discs. If you put these into your washing machine, you could use much less detergent and your laundry would still get clean. My mother trusted her sister (my uncle's wife) in telling her that the discs really worked.

And of course they worked, because people in general use too much detergent anyway. It still worked when my mother didn't use the discs anymore.

When I was a student, I used to buy the el cheapo washing detergent and combined that with using a minimum amount of detergent, combined with low washing temperature. That did not work. Clothes came out smelling of sweat. You need to either increase temperature, use more detergent or use better quality detergent.
Nowadays I still use el cheapo detergent, because I still it is secretly the same stuff as the more expensive detergent. But I have increased the water temperature a bit. Some modern washing machines today actually use lower temperatures than you choose on the machine. This to get a better energy score. So I now use 40C instead of 30C. This gets most laundry clean.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »
My uncle, who is a sales person, once sold my mother some "magic" discs. If you put these into your washing machine, you could use much less detergent and your laundry would still get clean. My mother trusted her sister (my uncle's wife) in telling her that the discs really worked.

And of course they worked, because people in general use too much detergent anyway. It still worked when my mother didn't use the discs anymore.

When I was a student, I used to buy the el cheapo washing detergent and combined that with using a minimum amount of detergent, combined with low washing temperature. That did not work. Clothes came out smelling of sweat. You need to either increase temperature, use more detergent or use better quality detergent.
Nowadays I still use el cheapo detergent, because I still it is secretly the same stuff as the more expensive detergent. But I have increased the water temperature a bit. Some modern washing machines today actually use lower temperatures than you choose on the machine. This to get a better energy score. So I now use 40C instead of 30C. This gets most laundry clean.

There is a difference between detergents, but as you mention cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad.  So if you are trying one cheapo brand that isn't working well, try to find the house-labeled Tide (or whatever).  Really, I've seen the tests that show Tide is the bestest.  I'm willing to pay a bit more for it (still only on sale) and use a lot less than get something really bad and have to use more.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
We don't typically wash anything with dangerous bacteria, so I use very little detergent.

I can just imagine the large piles of dangerous bacteria contaminated clothing stashed around your house.  Splurge a little dragoncar, use that tiny bit extra of detergent.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
People who have a hard time getting whites to actually appear their original white should occasionally use a tiny bit of bluing in the wash.  Bluing is something all of our great grandparents knew about but has slowly fell by the wayside. 

Here's an example:
http://mrsstewart.com/

For eco-folks, there shouldn't be too much worry--it's an extremely fine iron powder dissolved in water.

A small bottle should last you decades because you only use 1/8 of a teaspoon very occasionally when whites look yellow.  You can also use it to restore a bit of blue color to faded jeans.

Read more at:  http://lifehacker.com/keep-white-clothes-whiter-with-bluing-liquid-1633760416

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
But soes bluing work on non-natural fabrics?
I, sure it s good foe cotton, but polyester?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
But soes bluing work on non-natural fabrics?
I, sure it s good foe cotton, but polyester?

In my experience, that varies. Bluing always works on cotton, linen, and wool. It works on some nylons and maybe on some polyesters, but not all.  If I recall correctly, it doesn't work on rayon at all.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »
That sounds odd, since rayon is sometimes called a natural fibre, as it is cellulose, and therefore it should react the same way to blueing.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
Neither my mother (baby boomer) nor I ever used fabric softener, because allergies.  Although dryer sheets don't seem to cause the same problem?
We did have to start disinfecting our wash using the hot dryer setting, because we get dirty poopy enema towels daily from my son.  And it's not worth waiting and doing a full load of just the towels, because they reek.
From doing this I found out you need the dryer to actually disinfect laundry.  The hot water doesn't get or stay hot enough, and the soap + agitation isn't enough either.  And if you have something germy in your clothes, you should wash your hands after transferring the wash to the dryer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
Neither my mother (baby boomer) nor I ever used fabric softener, because allergies.  Although dryer sheets don't seem to cause the same problem?
We did have to start disinfecting our wash using the hot dryer setting, because we get dirty poopy enema towels daily from my son.  And it's not worth waiting and doing a full load of just the towels, because they reek.
From doing this I found out you need the dryer to actually disinfect laundry.  The hot water doesn't get or stay hot enough, and the soap + agitation isn't enough either.  And if you have something germy in your clothes, you should wash your hands after transferring the wash to the dryer.

A lot of people don't have dryers, are you saying their clothes aren't properly clean?

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

A lot of people don't have dryers, are you saying their clothes aren't properly clean?
Depends on what you mean by clean.  Personally, clean refers to free of dirt and visible particles, while sanitized means free of the vast majority undesirable microbial life.  So, by that definition, their clothes are definitely clean but not sanitized.  And for 95% of us, clean laundry is just fine.  When washing poopy towels from a toddler who spends way more time than average in healthcare facilities, sanitized is the way to go.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »

Depends on what you mean by clean.  Personally, clean refers to free of dirt and visible particles, while sanitized means free of the vast majority undesirable microbial life.  So, by that definition, their clothes are definitely clean but not sanitized.  And for 95% of us, clean laundry is just fine.  When washing poopy towels from a toddler who spends way more time than average in healthcare facilities, sanitized is the way to go.

Bleach. 

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 04:21:03 AM »

Bleach.
Laser from orbit.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
This story has just been revived.

'Psychologically scarred' millennials are killing countless industries -- this is what they like the least

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/millennials-are-killing-list-2017-8/?r=UK&IR=T#/#beer-2

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
This story has just been revived.

'Psychologically scarred' millennials are killing countless industries -- this is what they like the least

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/millennials-are-killing-list-2017-8/?r=UK&IR=T#/#beer-2

Awesome, 19 things! Let's see how my innate killing powers are doing today:

1. Beer - I've never bought it.
2. Napkins - Don't think I've ever bought them.
3. "Breastaurants" - Never been to one. I used Hooters in Shanghai as a landmark for navigation purposes, but they didn't make any money off of that.
4. Cereal - I do buy this! I could do without, but my boyfriend likes to keep it around.
5. Golf - Never played anything but mini golf, and didn't enjoy it. Will not repeat.
6. Motorcycles - Oh hell no.
7. Home ownership - Zero interest.
8. Yogurt - Always hated it.
9. Soap bars - I use it if it's free or a gift, but don't buy it.
10. Diamond - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no
11. Fabric softener - Never bought it..
12. Physical bank branches - Haven't been in one for about 10 years.
13. Department stores - Never go there.
14. Designer handbags - zero interest, received one once as a gift from someone who didn't know me very well, sold it
15. Gyms - Not my thing.
16. Home improvement stores - I buy lightbulbs there since my apartment is wired to only allow specific stupid ones that aren't available in normal stores. Otherwise, no.
17. Casual dining chains - Never go to them.
18. Football - Never had any interest.
19. Oil - I don't drive, so I guess not?

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »
I'm right on the edge of millennialism and GenX (depending) and can agree with most of this list.

1. Beer - I really do not like beer.
2. Napkins - Like paper napkins?  Never bought.
3. "Breastaurants" - My uncle took me to Hooters when he was babysitting me as a kid because he couldn't figure out what kids liked to do.  He was hilarious and was never allowed to babysit me again.  Ha.
4. Cereal - Never bought.
5. Golf - Pay a lot to get REALLY FRUSTRATED, have to dress a certain way, and get sunburnt?  No.
6. Motorcycles - Nope.
7. Home ownership - I have done this.  It was nice, but now I rent.
8. Yogurt - Yeah, that's gross.
9. Soap bars - I make my own soap, so I do use bars.
10. Diamond - I would never buy a diamond, and would insist anyone who offered me one spend their money in a better way.
11. Fabric softener - I bought this ONCE on accident thinking it was detergent.
12. Physical bank branches - Even when these existed, I avoided it AT ALL COSTS.
13. Department stores - Like... Sears?  No.
14. Designer handbags - I have purchased a Coach bag at the thrift shop and resold it on ebay, if that counts?
15. Gyms - Very much my thing.  I will spend my money here, within reason.
16. Home improvement stores - Dependent..?
17. Casual dining chains - I don't know what this means?  Like TGI Fridays?  BARF.
18. Football - Not interested.
19. Oil - I guess since a drive a car, yes?....

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
I'm right on the edge of millennialism and GenX (depending) and can agree with most of this list.

1. Beer - I really do not like beer.
2. Napkins - Like paper napkins?  Never bought.
3. "Breastaurants" - My uncle took me to Hooters when he was babysitting me as a kid because he couldn't figure out what kids liked to do.  He was hilarious and was never allowed to babysit me again.  Ha.
4. Cereal - Never bought.
5. Golf - Pay a lot to get REALLY FRUSTRATED, have to dress a certain way, and get sunburnt?  No.
6. Motorcycles - Nope.
7. Home ownership - I have done this.  It was nice, but now I rent.
8. Yogurt - Yeah, that's gross.
9. Soap bars - I make my own soap, so I do use bars.
10. Diamond - I would never buy a diamond, and would insist anyone who offered me one spend their money in a better way.
11. Fabric softener - I bought this ONCE on accident thinking it was detergent.
12. Physical bank branches - Even when these existed, I avoided it AT ALL COSTS.
13. Department stores - Like... Sears?  No.
14. Designer handbags - I have purchased a Coach bag at the thrift shop and resold it on ebay, if that counts?
15. Gyms - Very much my thing.  I will spend my money here, within reason.
16. Home improvement stores - Dependent..?
17. Casual dining chains - I don't know what this means?  Like TGI Fridays?  BARF.
18. Football - Not interested.
19. Oil - I guess since a drive a car, yes?....

#3 is priceless!   Not surprised he was never allowed to babysit you again. 

I am on the cusp of boomer and Generation X, so I do like/use 2, 4, 8, 9, 12 and 15.   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
These lists generally seem to be traditional implementations of things millenials still like, i.e. Businesses failin to adapt.  Millenials still like to work out, they just don't globogym.  They still like to drink, just not bud.  They still like bank accounts, just not going to the branch.  Juicing instead of smoothies.   And so on

There are a few legit things being killed by millenials, but most things are just given a twist.

Bleach.
Laser from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

godofcoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
These lists generally seem to be traditional implementations of things millenials still like, i.e. Businesses failin to adapt.  Millenials still like to work out, they just don't globogym.  They still like to drink, just not bud.  They still like bank accounts, just not going to the branch.  Juicing instead of smoothies.   And so on

There are a few legit things being killed by millenials, but most things are just given a twist.

Definitely know what you mean, but I think (a) these articles are basically fun clickbait so that millennials like myself can read them and say "yeah! I never eat yogurt!", and (b) while fundamentally millennials are humans and therefore drink/exercise/use money, I think there are definitely a lot of meaningful shifts here, including a rejection of many markers of Boomer masscult like golf, department stores, and designer handbags.

Fabric softener is still the funniest one, because nobody I know understands why they need it or how it works :)

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
Lists are fun!

1. Beer - Outgrew this.
2. Napkins - Nope, paper towels do the job just fine.
3. "Breastaurants" - These are fun to bring toddlers to because they provide hula hoops. But not usually my first choice.
4. Cereal - Ate some today, but prefer oatmeal.
5. Golf - Tried it once. I'd be down to pay to drive the cart around and goof off, without having to abide by the dress code and rules.
6. Motorcycles - More of a moped person.
7. Home ownership - Keeping the dream alive!
8. Yogurt - Not in the budget or dietary preference anymore.
9. Soap bars - Gets into the ridges of my ring, so liquid soap is my choice.
10. Diamond - Won't be buying one to replace the current ones if lost.
11. Fabric softener - never used it.
12. Physical bank branches - Maybe once a year.
13. Department stores - Racking my brain trying to remember the last time I shopped in one. A few years ago to buy a cheapo replacement wedding band for my husband.
14. Designer handbags - until a designer comes out with a durable, functional and stylish backpack purse, practicality wins here.
15. Gyms - I use it almost daily, this one is a keeper. But not the LA Fitness type, we're a YMCA family.
16. Home improvement stores - See #7.
17. Casual dining chains - Nope. Once I started seeing their same food (TGIFriday's appetizers) for sale in Walmart freezers, it became clear they are glorified microwaves with tacky decorations.
18. Football - Never liked it. Good way to make extra $ in college by selling my student tickets.
19. Oil - Somewhat, driving an electric vehicle but still use a bunch of plastic and fly in airplanes occasionally.

ATR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
millennial here. here  goes...

1. Beer - Hate it.
2. Napkins - I have a giant pack for holiday time when we have tons of people over. Purchased about once a year.
3. "Breastaurants" - NOPE.
4. Cereal - only when the niece and nephew come to town. I make my own granola bars/healthy breakfast muffins/eat whole nuts instead.
5. Golf - played as a kid; not at the moment but would be helpful for business purposes.
6. Motorcycles - definitely no.
7. Home ownership - Yup! And loving it.
8. Yogurt - almost every day but never flavored AKA overly-sugared.
9. Soap bars - strictly liquid castille soap. works better and goes a loooooong way.
10. Diamond - yes and love them. the only jewelry i wear are my wedding rings. however, spent a whole lot less than basically all of my friends.
11. Fabric softener - also nope. im a borax girl.
12. Physical bank branches - almost never.
13. Department stores - also almost never. online deals are so much better.
14. Designer handbags - this one is a kind-of. i have a few nicer bags but all were bought at ridiculous discounts and have lasted for years.
15. Gyms - yoga classes only.
16. Home improvement stores - when we bought the townhouse, yes! now, almost never. order anything and everything online.
17. Casual dining chains - NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FREE. absolutely horrifying quality. basically plates of sugar, salt, and fat.
18. Football - LOVE. actually all sports.
19. Oil - I drive so yes.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Never used fabric softener or dryer sheets since I moved out on my own. We use All Free and Clear detergent (no optical brighteners, no perfumes, etc.) but several years ago my wife would make laundry detergent with shredded up Ivory soap and borax. Recently I had to borrow some laundry detergent to wash all my clothes during our one day back at a FOB during two weeks in the field for Army training. It had some fragrance that was rather annoying but after a few minutes in the 100 degree heat it just turned back to the smell of sunscreen and sweat.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
I was born in '81 which is technically a millennial by most definitions I've heard.

1. Beer - is great!  I'll have a beer every couple months.
2. Napkins - Nope.
3. "Breastaurants" - Nope
4. Cereal - love it, but too expensive.  Also, becoming older means that all of the cereal that I like is now prohibited (captain crunch, cinnamon toast crunch, frosted cheerios).
5. Golf - Like darts this isn't a sport, it's a game.  A game that people really try to overcomplicate.  My approach to golf was to use a 3 iron and putter for everything.  If you want the ball to go less far, just don't hit it as hard.  The idea of having to play a game of golf more than once a year is terrifying.
6. Motorcycles - nope.  (Kinda a stigma about them in our family - my dad lost his right leg in a motorcycle accident when I was five.)
7. Home ownership - Yep.  Paid it off last year.
8. Yogurt - I like plain yogurt.  I use greek yogurt instead of sourcream.
9. Soap bars - strictly liquid castille soap. works better and goes a loooooong way.
10. Diamond - I bought my wife a diamond ring.  If I was doing it again I would have gone with moisenite to be honest, but that was young and foolish infatuated GuitarStv.
11. Fabric softener - Nope.
12. Physical bank branches - Not if it can be avoided.
13. Department stores - Nope.
14. Designer handbags - I get a new backpack every ten or fifteen years when the old one gets holes in the bottom.
15. Gyms - BJJ, Boxing, Judo, Tae Kwon Do  . . . I've spent a lot of time and money on gyms in the past.  At the moment I'm getting everything done with my bike and some barbells in the basement.
16. Home improvement stores - when we bought the townhouse, yes! now, almost never. order anything and everything online.
17. Casual dining chains - NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FREE. absolutely horrifying quality. basically plates of sugar, salt, and fat.
18. Football - Nope.  But I get why you might like it.  Personally I can kill some time watching any sport that I've played competitively . . . so, combat sports, soccer, cycling, etc.
19. Oil - I could happily never drive again, but at the moment need to occasionally.
[/quote]

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
9. Soap bars - Gets into the ridges of my ring, so liquid soap is my choice.

ಠ_ಠ

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »
Sunlight kills bacteria. I was given a free fabric softener sample years ago, still have it, might give it to a non millenial 😅

I use about a quarter of suggested detergent as my washing machine guy told me. They are so concentrated that is all that is needed. I have to use a bit more detergent for Dh as he is quite sweaty. The kids clothes often need stain remover and a higher temp. Everything is line dried, we have always line dried even when we lived in a tiny studio. I'm glad it's becoming popular in the US. Such a waste to use a dryer, bad for the environment and your pocket. 

I use bar soap but mostly just wash with water, despite walking around apparently covered in germs I do just fine.

We use cloth napkins but have paper napkins for larger parties. Smaller parties I put the cloth napkins out, people never use them, they are as pristine as the day I bought them.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Here's an empty list if anyone just wants to copy-paste:

1. Beer
2. Napkins
3. "Breastaurants" 
4. Cereal
5. Golf
6. Motorcycles
7. Home ownership
8. Yogurt
9. Soap bars
10. Diamond
11. Fabric softener
12. Physical bank branches
13. Department stores
14. Designer handbags
15. Gyms
16. Home improvement stores
17. Casual dining chains
18. Football
19. Oil

Some of my thoughts (late 80s Millennial):
1. Beer - "Beer" isn't homogenous. There's a difference between the mass-market offerings like Budweiser and the available craft beer option. Craft Beer options are still doing well, and the big players are getting into that market. Goose Island, for instance, has most of the top-rated Midwestern beeers around here, and Goose Island is an InBev company.
Spirits are also a lot better than they used to be. A lot of Millennials do drink wine, which I think is silly. Whiskey or beer for me. :)
2. Napkins - Don't need these unless company is over.
3. "Breastaurants"  - I have the internet. Also, a lot of places make good wings now, so these places don't have a commanding edge on really any front.
4. Cereal - I eat oatmeal. I think a lot of young people forego breakfast entirely (which is stupid, IMO).
5. Golf - Boring game, IMO. Can be expensive and takes a lot of time. I only know a single Millennial with this hobby.
6. Motorcycles - Most guys don't have the disposable income for this as a side hobby. I know a few guys with bikes, but they spend a lot of time trying to make them work. No go for me. Pretty sure Mrs. ADBG would kill me, lol.
7. Home ownership - Maybe that's because homes are expensive and Millennials are marrying later. Almost every Millennial I know aspires to home ownership. I bought mine a few years ago and really like having my own home. No shared living spaces for me.
8. Yogurt - Yogurt is dying out? News to me. I've thought about making my own yogurt. Might try that this weekend since I have a quart of milk that's about to go bad. Yogurt seems inferior to and more expensive than oatmeal, and it isn't anywhere near as good as eggs and bacon.
9. Soap bars - Don't use these. Seem stupid to me.
10. Diamond - Again, expensive as all hell. Mrs. ADBG has a diamond, bought when I was younger and more naïve. I probably would opt for something like a sapphire now.
11. Fabric softener - I actually buy this. My dress shirts feel much nicer with fabric softener.
12. Physical bank branches - Well, yeah, why would I want to go into a bank?
13. Department stores - I shop at dept stores when they have one of their sales. I do not shop at any of the specialty apparel outfits as they tend to be more expensive. Fun fact, dept stores generate much lower rents than most other tenants, so recapturing those spaces is a good deal for landlords (depending on retail location).
14. Designer handbags - Lol, that's because it's an insane markup.There are other ways to express personality than these stupid bags.
15. Gyms - I have a gym in my basement.
16. Home improvement stores. - Ha, probably goes with home ownership. Home Improvement stores are doing better than department stores, though.
17. Casual dining chains - These places suck and they still cost a lot of money. If I am dropping 15-20 on a plate, I am going to go to a specialty burger joint or something.
18. Football - I don't watch any sport without people around me. I actually like football better than other sports, though. Way better football culture than any other sport culture, IMO, and there's only 16 games (better than following an 80 or 160 game season).
19. Oil - I don't need a massive suburban/truck because I live in the suburbs. Why waste money on gas?

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »
“Which means we do have an opportunity grow this business through benefit education.”

Any time I hear a variant of "educate the customer," I know that business is doing something wrong and bullheadedly continuing in the wrong direction.

Judging by the lists, I must be an honorary millennial.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »
Anyone else use dryer sheets for cleaning? I use them for getting grass stains off shoes and rings out of the bathtub. I don't put them in the actual dryer though...

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
I'm cracking 50 here and have never, in my entire life, used fabric softener or a dryer sheet. Totally content with how my clothes come out of the wash/dryer as is.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
Judging by the lists, I must be an honorary millennial.

I'm much older than you and I seem to be an honorary millennial as well.
Except, what is wrong with bar soap?  I love my glycerin bar soap.  I hate body wash, so wasteful and another plastic container.