Author Topic: Want to create Facebook account solely to use their Marketplace  (Read 544 times)

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
Want to create Facebook account solely to use their Marketplace. I don't want people to start contacting me for just any reason when they see I have an account on Facebook.

Facebook wants users to use their real names, though.

I have been using Craigslist up til now, which is good for privacy, but I keep hearing everyone is looking at Facebook Marketplace these days instead of Craigslist, if they want to buy something local.

Is there some way I can create a Facebook account and use Facebook Marketplace to sell stuff locally, and still have some level of privacy?

Thanks

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Want to create Facebook account solely to use their Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:44:37 AM »
Facebook Marketplace is definitely incredible for selling stuff!  I just started using it with shipping activated and have been selling random stuff all over the country.

I know that some of my friends who work in law enforcement have Facebook accounts with false last names or use something that sounds like their last name or use middle name, etc., so I know for sure you can have a FB account with a made up name.  I dont see why they could not sell on marketplace this way locally.

I did have to enter my social security number once I reached a certain level of sales with shipping activated.  Probably for tax reporting reasons.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:47:02 AM by v8rx7guy »

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:47:13 AM »
Well, I tried to sign up with a 'screen name'  on FB and it wouldn't let me. Kept giving me a generic error message and didn't mention any specific entry that was wrong. Arghhh.

The I tried to sign up with a website called Varagesale. Turns out they want my phone number and email address, and they say to be sure to enter your real name.

What is with these guys?

Guess I'll have to stick with Craigslist, where I have privacy. But it seems like no one is even looking at Craigslist any more , except for cars.  Ugh.

Or maybe I'm too concerned about privacy. Hmmm. 

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:13:17 AM »
Well, I tried to sign up with a 'screen name'  on FB and it wouldn't let me. Kept giving me a generic error message and didn't mention any specific entry that was wrong. Arghhh.

The I tried to sign up with a website called Varagesale. Turns out they want my phone number and email address, and they say to be sure to enter your real name.

What is with these guys?

Guess I'll have to stick with Craigslist, where I have privacy. But it seems like no one is even looking at Craigslist any more , except for cars.  Ugh.

Part of the allure for FB marketplace is the ability to see your buyer or seller as an actual person with a real name, photos, etc.   I guess it makes people feel more comfortable than the anonymity of Craigslist. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chemistk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »

What is with these guys?

Part of the allure for FB marketplace is the ability to see your buyer or seller as an actual person with a real name, photos, etc.   I guess it makes people feel more comfortable than the anonymity of Craigslist. 

I will fully admit that I enjoy sites like marketplace over Craigslist for that exact reason - I always ask myself questions like "what type of person is selling this" - I feel like I have a better understanding of the condition of the item and, at least when I was still living in metro Detroit, whether I felt safe buying something.

I know this might ruffle your feathers, OP, but I'll share in full disclosure - I have never once even thought about buying anything from someone online if their ad is structured in a way that I don't have a chance to meet the person.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »

What is with these guys?

I did not say sign up with a screen name like "slackmax", that's not going to be acceptable.  What I mean was if your name is Jane Anne Doe, just put your name as Jane Anne, Or maybe Jane Deer or something.  But if you're really that worried about it, maybe social media/marketplace isn't for you.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:07 PM »

What is with these guys?

I did not say sign up with a screen name like "slackmax", that's not going to be acceptable.  What I mean was if your name is Jane Anne Doe, just put your name as Jane Anne, Or maybe Jane Deer or something.  But if you're really that worried about it, maybe social media/marketplace isn't for you.

I knew what you meant, V8RX. My 'screen name' I entered  was a  regular  name, like Brandon Wells.  Not gonna stress out about it. Thanks for the help. 

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »

What is with these guys?

I will fully admit that I enjoy sites like marketplace over Craigslist for that exact reason - I always ask myself questions like "what type of person is selling this" - I feel like I have a better understanding of the condition of the item and, at least when I was still living in metro Detroit, whether I felt safe buying something.

I know this might ruffle your feathers, OP, but I'll share in full disclosure - I have never once even thought about buying anything from someone online if their ad is structured in a way that I don't have a chance to meet the person.

I remain unruffled, chemistk. No worries.

I was intending to use FB  Marketplace to transact locally.   Meet at a church parking lot, and so forth. 

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:02 PM »
I have sold a bunch of stuff on there lately and lots of people have names that are clearly made up. One of them had "biden sucks" for a last name and a trump avatar. I was conflicted on that one but I really want to sell my disc plow so I messaged him back. I just use my real name because my secrets are not that interesting.

My husband refuses to get an account and had me convinced that social media was the devil for a long time, so I missed out on a lot of social activities as a young adult.

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »

What is with these guys?

I remain unruffled, chemistk. No worries.

I was intending to use FB  Marketplace to transact locally.   Meet at a church parking lot, and so forth.

Eh, I just have them come get the stuff from the house. No issues so far, and I work from home so it's easier.  We live in the country though, and a lot of our stuff requires a truck or trailer to move.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
You can set it so that people can't send you friend requests, and then there's another setting you can do that only allows friends to send you messages. Those two together would make you virtually unreachable.

But as a warning, a lot of people feel leery about dealing with people with new accounts, no posts/groups, zero friends, etc, since those types of accounts are frequently scammers or criminals.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
Just put a realistic name, a random picture of someone who kinda looks like you, and call it a day. Nobody cares. Marketplace buyers aren't much better than craigslist, it's the lowest common denominator. You will encounter your share of morons and flakes.