Author Topic: Recent College Grad Seeking Job in Denver, CO  (Read 4663 times)

Phira

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recent College Grad Seeking Job in Denver, CO
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I'm a recent college graduate with a bachelor's degree in History, seeking employment in the Denver area. I'm looking for full time employment with jobs related to Museums, Secretarial work, and teaching. Please let me know if you are interested in getting any more information about my qualifications, and if you have a job opening.

Thank you very much.

Edit:
My recent job experience includes: Four years as a student worker, Seasonal Worker and Volunteer at a local museum, and sales experience with a retail store.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:10:46 PM by Phira »

Phira

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Recent College Grad Seeking Job in Denver, CO
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Still looking!

Phira

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
Any leads out there? Of course I'm searching indeed.com, craigslist, etc...

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »
Philra, Sorry to see that you are still searching.

What have you been doing since December to improve your skill-sets to make you more attractive to an employer?

Since you like museums, could you volunteer there, so you may get first dibs at a job there?

For teaching, I am sure it needs some specialization, have you researched what accreditation is needed and what you can do to get there? There are a bunch of teachers here (arebelspy etc) who can mentor you if you reach out to them.

Best wishes for your search.

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
How about teach for america? they don't pay much but you get experience and you can get your teacher's credential at the same time. (my friend did it.) After she got her credentials the school that she was at offered her a job.

If you want to do secretarial work, try a temporary job from a temp agency. That would also help you get your foot in the door if the company's hiring.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
I agree with talking to people. The first thing I would do is get in touch with your college's job hunting service and/or alumni association. Nothing makes alums happier than hiring a fellow grad. Get a list of humanities alums from your school who live in Denver. Call and ask them for advice, not for a job. Meet with them in person, wearing a suit and tie, or blazer and khakis, depending on the work environment. Everyone likes to give advice. When they give you leads, follow them up. What will get you a job is showing that you are persistent, personable, and highly motivated.

Phira

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm working on getting my teaching license.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
While you're working on getting your teaching credentials, you may want to apply to tutor students for the SAT/ACT at Kaplan or a similar company. Although it's only part-time, it will help beef up your teaching resume and make you more marketable for future positions.

Are you at all interested in pursuing a PhD? If your dream is to teach at the collegiate level or work at a major museum, you'll probably need one. Unfortunately a bachelors in history is not very marketable and many people with a liberal arts bachelors (like me) have to earn a graduate degree before being able to get a decent paying job. Fortunately if you were a good student (3.5 GPA+) and score reasonably well on your entrance exams, you may be able to get a teaching or research assistantship with your department. Assistant and fellowship positions vary but most cover the full cost of tuition plus a stipend. This was the case for me in 2007, full tuition and a 11k a year stipend. While many Mustachians may question the value of this investment (time and opportunity costs even if you're fully funded), if your other options are AmeriCorps or part-time work, you should definitely consider graduate school.

LoveStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Check out the Colorado Non-Profit website, they usually have multiple museum jobs posted.

http://www.coloradononprofits.org/careers/career-center/nonprofit-jobs/

MrMoneyMaxwell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
Denver is very tech heavy. You may need to start looking in the governmental type positions, or tour guiding places in the more historic districts.