Author Topic: New Prosper P2P Investors: Get 1% Cash  (Read 11809 times)

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
New Prosper P2P Investors: Get 1% Cash
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
Hey Mustachians,

I've been investing some money in P2P for a while and have had a great experience with excellent returns. Below is a link for 1% cash back on any investments you make in the next month or so:

http://tinyurl.com/ch6qnva

Full disclosure: I also get 1% cash back for referring new investors. :) Anyhow if you're looking to get started and would like a nice 1% cushion to your returns be sure to use the link!

-Abe

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
Re: New Prosper P2P Investors: Get 1% Cash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
Prosper's great. I didn't even realize they had sent out that referral link! Well you claimed this board, so good for you.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
I don't care for Prosper at all. If I were doing P2P lending it'd be on Lending Club.

Previous Prosper discussion on these forums here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/anyone-have-thoughts-on-prosper-com-or-similar-lending-sites/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »
I don't care for Prosper at all. If I were doing P2P lending it'd be on Lending Club.

Under certain conditions, it's possible to be eligible to open a Prosper account but not a Lending Club account. Is Prosper so bad that you'd forgo P2P lending entirely rather than invest with them, if you had no other choice?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »

Under certain conditions, it's possible to be eligible to open a Prosper account but not a Lending Club account. Is Prosper so bad that you'd forgo P2P lending entirely rather than invest with them, if you had no other choice?

Yes.

I wouldn't do business with them under any circumstances.  The only company I can think of off the top of my head like that, though there's probably 2 or 3 total.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
Well they've been just dandy for me. Just cracked the leaderboard! I'm in the top 250 investors now.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »
Well they've been just dandy for me. Just cracked the leaderboard! I'm in the top 250 investors now.

Whaaaaat where is this leader board?

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »

Whaaaaat where is this leader board?

It's not official, but I did ask Prosper to add it in to their own site.

http://www.prosper-stats.com/TopLenders.jsp

Honest Abe

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Wow, congrats! I'm in the 8000's somewhere. :)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »

Yes.

I wouldn't do business with them under any circumstances.  The only company I can think of off the top of my head like that, though there's probably 2 or 3 total.

Please explain why! I'm a LC guy myself but I've never heard someone with such a strong negative reaction to Prosper. So now I'm curious...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
Please explain why! I'm a LC guy myself but I've never heard someone with such a strong negative reaction to Prosper. So now I'm curious...

Oh there's plenty of us out there, such as my old pal Urbi, who is the named plaintiff in the class action suit that is ongoing against them.

Basically it boils down to their continual poor business decisions and their willingness to screw the actual customers (the lenders) over and over.

I wouldn't trust them with a wet noodle.

I don't mind the P2P concept in theory (though I think in practice it is overhyped in a search for yield; most intelligent investors tend to avoid it from what I've seen) and think it could be worth a small portion of one's portfolio.  But Prosper?  Ugh.

Enough said?  :)

illy5603

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
I am with arebelspy on this one. I was one of the early lenders on prosper and' percentage wise, I took a bath. Fortunately I was dealing with small loans, one toe in the water, so actual dollars lost was not that bad.

The whole thing at the time seemed fishy, almost like my borrowers weren't even real or their credit worthiness was not vetted correctly. Also, their monthly statements and tax documents were always really shoddy looking, almost sub quick books in appearance. Maybe that has changed. Anyway, bad experience and I will never do business with them again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!